The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[BUG?] Powerful Assault

Grumble_and_Grunt
Grumble_and_Grunt
✭✭✭✭
Hey guys,

Is it intended for Powerful Assault to behave this way? (see image below)

Currently, within raid setttings we are having the issue that the set seems to prioritise the same users and even classes (specifically Necros, Sorcs and Wardens).

When allowing the buff to fully expire before refreshing it will still apply to the same users and even when trying to outrange the group and then refresh the buff the result is the same (a proposed work around)

Screenshot_20210408-091441_Chrome.jpg?width=345&height=608

unknown.png

Does anyone know a way to circumvent this issue?

If not, would it be possible as a solution to have Powerful Assault function similar to Roaring Opportunist as that set seems to have a more favourable smart target function, whereby it applies the buff on refresh to those who do not currently already have the buff.

It's great to be able to have sets that offer unique buffs to the group and it can be a little frustrating for some when they are unable to receive any as noted by the meme below by another member of our raid after viewing logs xD

54t9fr.jpg

Meme credit to: @Fircelle

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Edited by Grumble_and_Grunt on April 8, 2021 8:14PM
PC EU
Fix Powerful Assault
#3Qbiken
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is prevailant, templars and dks seem to never get the buff regardless of position.
    I cycle through various theories and my current one is that for some reason it prioritizes classes with pets. DK's and Templars are the only ones who don't have pets.
    Edited by Gaggin on April 8, 2021 6:48PM
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another issue is that the user (in this case me in the picture who uses it on my templar) don´t even get the buff. Even the description of Powerful Assault states that YOU and 5 other members. But for some reason the user doesn´t seem to get the buff all the times.
  • FThisIWantALongerNam
    In the interest of clarifying further, we've noticed this issue while trying to optimize our buff uptimes on Yolnahkriin HM over the last month or so now.

In that period, we've had certain days with slightly different group compositions (an extra necro one week for example)

Across dozens of parses per week, and multiple weeks, it always seems to prioritise giving the buff to:

Necros/Sorcs > Wardens > Blades/Plars/DKs (it may break down further than this, just not sure of the exact order of preference)

Having 3 Necros, 2 Sorcs and 1 Warden in the group, all these players received really good uptimes, while the Plar/DK/blade, who were often closer to the PA user, received near zero uptime.

On the one week where we had an extra Necro in the group, this seemed to bump the warden down this "priority list" and they received practically zero PA uptime that week.

On the left of this image, is the week we had an extra necro, destroying the warden's PA uptime. On the right is the regular group comp without that extra necro.
    unknown.png

Definitely seems to be a preference for certain classes over others.
  • Arwen72
    Arwen72
    ✭✭✭
    The same prioritisation seems to apply to caster. Our healer (templar) never gets it on casting himself, while warden tank always gets it.
    No work around found yet.
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it not apply to templars and dks if they are the only ones in group? Does order of joining group affect the buff?
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Necros are behind paywall, so ofcourse they are prioritized. Working as intended
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Karm1cOne wrote: »
    Does it not apply to templars and dks if they are the only ones in group? Does order of joining group affect the buff?

That would be an interesting test.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does seem to prioritize some over others, and is not smart about giving it to those that don’t have it already. I think PA used to go to whoever had the most stamina, but that was changed a while back. I’m not sure what it uses to prioritize targets now, definitely not distance. I wonder if it could be something obscure like stamina recovery (which Necro, Sorc and Warden all have passives for).
  • Sangwyne
    Sangwyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »
    Necros are behind paywall, so ofcourse they are prioritized. Working as intended

I wonder how many other hidden mechanics that prioritize Necro or Warden exist that we simply haven't heard of yet. Not particularly surprised to see that DK or Templar were left in the dumpster yet again, they seem to be little more than an afterthought at this point.
  • Princess_Ciri
    Princess_Ciri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if Powerful Assault could be changed into a smart buff set that is applied to those who do not have the buff or did not receive it last time.

It's pretty silly playing a Templar DPS in raids and discovering you are missing a buff and the only way to receive it is to banish the other DPS to the opposite end of the room.....
    GM and raid leader of Hot Girls Play DPS, the cutest guild EU
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The pets might be counted as possible targets in play before it settles on which get buffs? So the necros and sorcs and wardens have the odds weighted in their favor?
    PC NA
  • Arwen72
    Arwen72
    ✭✭✭
    If not changing it to a smart buff (which would be op) , it would at least be nice to know by which attribute it selects the target, be it class, max stam, stam recovery....
  • UtopianWarrior88
    UtopianWarrior88
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, please make this a smart set - it's nearly impossible to proc this on a group without 2 stacks, and then it's even iffy at best.
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah PA is broken, and a pita to run because of it. Two stacks only works if you can keep enough distance between them to outrage PA procs, which you rarely can, and then you have your OT or healer running across the room every ten seconds
  • Grumble_and_Grunt
    Grumble_and_Grunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    PC EU
    Fix Powerful Assault
    #3Qbiken
  • CrustyCroco
    CrustyCroco
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it's connected or not, but i noticed kinda similar targetting preferences by testing, who gets hit by the necro's graveyard debuff, if more than 6 enemies are standing inside of it. While caltrops' debuff was hitting the 6 targets closest to the impact area of the targetted aoe and swapped targets constantly, the graveyard debuff didn't care about the distance.
    It always preferred 6 "chosen" targets, if more than 6 were standing inside of it.
    Only when one of those targets moved out of the area, a different target got hit, which seems to be similar to the presented Powerful Assault issue.

This opens up some theories/ assumptions that had to be tested.
    1. It's pure alphabetical based on some @name, character name, classname, faction etc etc (most of these don't seem to be the case when looking at the screenshots)
    2. Highest/Lowest offensive stats or otherwise statbased
    3. In esologs every character and skills are translated into IDs. It could as well just be "alphabetical" regarding which ID the character has. Also not sure, how the IDs are allocated to the characters and if it plays any role at all ingame.
    4. Something else we didn't consider yet or just aren't able to see with the limited tools we have.
    Edited by CrustyCroco on April 15, 2021 1:07PM
  • Thor199389
    Thor199389
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it's connected or not, but i noticed kinda similar targetting preferences by testing, who gets hit by the necro's graveyard debuff, if more than 6 enemies are standing inside of it. While caltrops' debuff was hitting the 6 targets closest to the impact area of the targetted aoe and swapped targets constantly, the graveyard debuff didn't care about the distance.
    It always preferred 6 "chosen" targets, if more than 6 were standing inside of it.
    Only when one of those targets moved out of the area, a different target got hit, which seems to be similar to the presented Powerful Assault issue.

1. It's pure alphabetical based on some @name, character name, classname, faction etc etc (most of these don't seem to be the case when looking at the screenshots)
    3. In esologs every character and skills are translated into IDs. It could as well just be "alphabetical" regarding which ID the character has. Also not sure, how the IDs are allocated to the characters and if it plays any role at all ingame.
    4. Something else we didn't consider yet or just aren't able to see with the limited tools we have.

From what Ive seen it is not connected to the ID nor the name, so 1 and 3 is out imo.
    2 is also kinda out from my perspective since Ive seen a similar preference for supporter if they shared the same class.
    Ive seen a chart of priority for PA that mentioned classes, race and gender.
    That could misslead to your assumption 2 since most of the time DDs are race x and healers y while tanks are z.

I dont know why, but it feels like it is the same reason why it feels like its always the DK DD that gets aggro if an add is not taunted. I would really like to see ZoS adressing this as an real issue and not dump it like "nobody cares"...
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the procs against the actual joining order of members in the group (ie: the list on the group page)
  • Thor199389
    Thor199389
    ✭✭✭
    vgabor wrote: »
    Check the procs against the actual joining order of members in the group (ie: the list on the group page)

group page is alphabetic by char name also i highly doubt that the templar is always joing last xD
  • CrustyCroco
    CrustyCroco
    ✭✭✭
    Thor199389 wrote: »

From what Ive seen it is not connected to the ID nor the name, so 1 and 3 is out imo.
    2 is also kinda out from my perspective since Ive seen a similar preference for supporter if they shared the same class.
    That could misslead to your assumption 2 since most of the time DDs are race x and healers y while tanks are z.

I dont know why, but it feels like it is the same reason why it feels like its always the DK DD that gets aggro if an add is not taunted. I would really like to see ZoS adressing this as an real issue and not dump it like "nobody cares"...

Yea, wasn't really convinced by most of those possibilities, but since something has to be causing the targetting, might as well check everything.
    Just to doublecheck, how did you test that the buff doesn't pick a certain ID (#3 in my list) like they are shown in the raw encounterlog files? I'm not talking about the account @ name ID. It would be something like for example 24252963 (that's an enemy npc in skyreach). If you already did that and compared those IDs with the ingame names and uptimes that would save a lot of work.
    It could still be tho, that the game allocates IDs to the players, that we don't know about and the buffs get applied accordingly.
    An ID like that could include numbers for things that you mentioned too, like race (for example 1=Altmer, 2=Bosmer etc), class (1=Sorc, 2=Warden etc), gender etc and then have an order accordingly which gets used by the game itself to be a preferred target for PA.
    Edited by CrustyCroco on April 15, 2021 3:49PM
  • Thor199389
    Thor199389
    ✭✭✭
    Thor199389 wrote: »

Yea, wasn't really convinced by most of those possibilities, but since something has to be causing the targetting, might as well check everything.
    Just to doublecheck, how did you test that the buff doesn't pick a certain ID (#3 in my list) like they are shown in the raw encounterlog files? I'm not talking about the account @ name ID. It would be something like for example 24252963 (that's an enemy npc in skyreach). If you already did that and compared those IDs with the ingame names and uptimes that would save a lot of work.
    It could still be tho, that the game allocates IDs to the players, that we don't know about and the buffs get applied accordingly.
    An ID like that could include numbers for things that you mentioned too, like race (for example 1=Altmer, 2=Bosmer etc), class (1=Sorc, 2=Warden etc), gender etc and then have an order accordingly which gets used by the game itself to be a preferred target for PA.

Ah I see what you ment there - no I did not check that but you could easily check that by looking at a bunch of diffrent groups, if the numbers somehow include race and class, there will be a pattern that you can easily see.
  • Grumble_and_Grunt
    Grumble_and_Grunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last night raid, this time two groups, tried setting the PA user in the furthest group to the Necros and Sorcs to try outrange and reapply the buff once expired, but did not change much.

User is still also not receiving the buff themselves.

unknown.png
    PC EU
    Fix Powerful Assault
    #3Qbiken
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you please let us know if you are aware of this issue and potentially looking through it @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BillE?
  • laksikus
    laksikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interessting.

I vaguely remember something similar when i testet a purge bot with meriterious in pvp, years ago

If i remember correct: From 4 targets i used to reapply the buff two two fixed and 2 random group members. I dropped the set soon after and never bothered to investigate or associated it with classes (note that was before warden and necro came out)

Interessted if anyone finds out the reason. Or if its just typically bad code

• Miss_MakeItRain
    2 groups, Yoln HM. Rip my healer parses :'(

weowww.png
  • Grumble_and_Grunt
    Grumble_and_Grunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    #3Qbiken
    PC EU
    Fix Powerful Assault
    #3Qbiken
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a sorc that wore powerful assault several months ago, and to this day when I cast an assault ability I see the buff icon on my bar. I don't get the benefit, but even not wearing the set the icon shows up. Just speaking of Powerful Assault bugs.
  • Arwen72
    Arwen72
    ✭✭✭
    2021-04-19.png

Imagine having one PA proc in three fights, so Logs prove you exist. Condolences to all Dks, Templars an Nightblades out there.
    Please fix Powerful Assault!
    Edited by Arwen72 on April 19, 2021 8:12AM
  • Princess_Ciri
    Princess_Ciri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That single PA proc was the happiest moment in all those fights, sadly it ran out almost as soon as we started the fight :'(
    GM and raid leader of Hot Girls Play DPS, the cutest guild EU