Crash427
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soul_Demon wrote: »
    Crash427 wrote: »
    Mr_Gallows wrote: »
    I don't think organized groups do anything wrong as such, but it would be better for gameplay if nore tactical movement was preferred because big balls would get punished harder by aoe.

So, what group are you talking about here exactly? Because groups are very different to each other.
    Some want to stay below 10 people. Some limit at 12. Some take everything they can find and form several groups.
    Some of these then try to find their own fights, some move with their faction from one keep to the other.

For my raid i can tell you, that a lot of tactical movement is needed fighting outnumbered.
    Also drawing the lines between "solo" players in a zerg, a player joining an unorganised group, a player joining a semi-organised group and a player joining a fully organised group is very hard. The lines are blurred and opinions about it are very subjective again.

I prefer 12 or less too, but that doesn't make a 48 man attack wrong. I just like the gameplay better between smaller groups.

But it would be nice if aoe was more effective against groups but not against single target. The defensive edge og being abte to use choke points better would be great.

I heard that zos are dropping the megaserver tech, but what that means I do not know. If it's good for performamce, then it's awesome, because sometimes a huge siege can look awesome. From a gameplay perspective however it's not so great, because (if we disregard the lag) it's over too quick. Havibg better defence through aoe doing more damage the more people it hits at once would be great. 10 minutes is just a bit short for a siege and it can be over faster than that.

I don't really mind any playstyle either, to each their own, I played pretty much everything as well.
    What you are saying here sounds like there weren't mechanics in the game that support tactical movements and skills already. I agree, that the tactical possibilities while running in a group within the own faction stack are kinda limited and also the group is protected by people around them.
    That's the reason why i wanted to make clear, what groups we are talking about.
    Because proxy/ inev detos and using chokes is a common strategy being used by groups that try to fight outnumbered, otherwise they would die way faster.
    Also aoe damage having (almost) no limit on how many players it hits, is an indirect increase of aoe damage if you compare it to healing and purges. Most of the healing and supporting skills are limited at up to 6 people. So you really want to think about sending more than 6 people into the clash. Especially in GvGs you can see more people dying the more are in the push, what kinda balances smaller groups vs bigger groups to a certain extend, because the smaller group still can have a high impact, if they use the right movement and strategy.

Yes I agree. Would just like to see it tweaked some more in the right direction. But yeah heals being limited is great. Heals or rather automatic health regen is completely out of whack. When you stack 4k+ health regen the gameplay simply breaks. A hard cap of 2k regen across the board would be great... then it's up to you to decide where you get your regen. While in the current game the health regen CP star makes the issue worse, it is really a great idea, because it means you sacrifice regen to use your ultimate... that's good gameplay. A 2k limit would work well because it balances fine with dots.

You could look at that....But I think some of the longstanding bugs and over-heals would be more productive time for ZOS to spend. CC' immunity has been mentioned here and no one who really plays the game is unaware of how devastating it is during lag to have them malfunction so consistently. Fix it---take all your resources and fix that first.

If they could fix it, they would have by now.

I understand why you might think that way....but to be honest I don't believe they take any action whatsoever until they have some semblance of community consensus on what the issues are. Now, I don't think anyone really knows how they make those decisions or who they would even speak to- or even where they get feedback from.

But, I feel its safe to say for as long as the community feedback in forums is focused around multiple pitches for particular playstyles to be buffed/nerfed rather than in game issues that directly impact the largest portion of the players----absolutely nothing is more likely to be being done in the background. I would think the only vehicle the players really have at this point is overwhelming numbers of statements in forums calling for things to even have a chance to be looked at now.

Could be wrong, but I think you are being really, really generous assuming they put a lot of time and effort into anything like this from a few mentions here and there over the years. Something tells me that is highly unlikely.

You know why we can use transit shrines while in combat? Because they couldn't fix the stuck in combat bug. So I guess they at least looked at that one. Whether they are unwilling or unable doesn't really matter, to me at least. My guild said enough is enough and moved on. How many more have to quit before they get serious about fixing things?

But hey, did you see the latest reskinned junk in the crown store?
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think organized groups do anything wrong as such, but it would be better for gameplay if nore tactical movement was preferred because big balls would get punished harder by aoe.

So, what group are you talking about here exactly? Because groups are very different to each other.
    Some want to stay below 10 people. Some limit at 12. Some take everything they can find and form several groups.
    Some of these then try to find their own fights, some move with their faction from one keep to the other.

For my raid i can tell you, that a lot of tactical movement is needed fighting outnumbered.
    Also drawing the lines between "solo" players in a zerg, a player joining an unorganised group, a player joining a semi-organised group and a player joining a fully organised group is very hard. The lines are blurred and opinions about it are very subjective again.

I prefer 12 or less too, but that doesn't make a 48 man attack wrong. I just like the gameplay better between smaller groups.

But it would be nice if aoe was more effective against groups but not against single target. The defensive edge og being abte to use choke points better would be great.

I heard that zos are dropping the megaserver tech, but what that means I do not know. If it's good for performamce, then it's awesome, because sometimes a huge siege can look awesome. From a gameplay perspective however it's not so great, because (if we disregard the lag) it's over too quick. Havibg better defence through aoe doing more damage the more people it hits at once would be great. 10 minutes is just a bit short for a siege and it can be over faster than that.

I don't really mind any playstyle either, to each their own, I played pretty much everything as well.
    What you are saying here sounds like there weren't mechanics in the game that support tactical movements and skills already. I agree, that the tactical possibilities while running in a group within the own faction stack are kinda limited and also the group is protected by people around them.
    Because proxy/ inev detos and using chokes is a common strategy being used by groups that try to fight outnumbered, otherwise they would die way faster.
    Also aoe damage having (almost) no limit on how many players it hits, is an indirect increase of aoe damage if you compare it to healing and purges. Most of the healing and supporting skills are limited at up to 6 people. So you really want to think about sending more than 6 people into the clash. Especially in GvGs you can see more people dying the more are in the push, what kinda balances smaller groups vs bigger groups to a certain extend, because the smaller group still can have a high impact, if they use the right movement and strategy.

Yes I agree. Would just like to see it tweaked some more in the right direction. But yeah heals being limited is great. Heals or rather automatic health regen is completely out of whack. When you stack 4k+ health regen the gameplay simply breaks. A hard cap of 2k regen across the board would be great... then it's up to you to decide where you get your regen. While in the current game the health regen CP star makes the issue worse, it is really a great idea, because it means you sacrifice regen to use your ultimate... that's good gameplay. A 2k limit would work well because it balances fine with dots.

You could look at that....But I think some of the longstanding bugs and over-heals would be more productive time for ZOS to spend. CC' immunity has been mentioned here and no one who really plays the game is unaware of how devastating it is during lag to have them malfunction so consistently. Fix it---take all your resources and fix that first.

I understand why you might think that way....but to be honest I don't believe they take any action whatsoever until they have some semblance of community consensus on what the issues are. Now, I don't think anyone really knows how they make those decisions or who they would even speak to- or even where they get feedback from.

But, I feel its safe to say for as long as the community feedback in forums is focused around multiple pitches for particular playstyles to be buffed/nerfed rather than in game issues that directly impact the largest portion of the players----absolutely nothing is more likely to be being done in the background. I would think the only vehicle the players really have at this point is overwhelming numbers of statements in forums calling for things to even have a chance to be looked at now.

Could be wrong, but I think you are being really, really generous assuming they put a lot of time and effort into anything like this from a few mentions here and there over the years. Something tells me that is highly unlikely.

You know why we can use transit shrines while in combat? Because they couldn't fix the stuck in combat bug. So I guess they at least looked at that one. Whether they are unwilling or unable doesn't really matter, to me at least. My guild said enough is enough and moved on. How many more have to quit before they get serious about fixing things?

Just wait for the in combat bug to keep those new mythics active!

If you get the bug, at least you are rewarded with additional power :smiley:
    Edited by Joy_Division on April 15, 2021 10:34PM
  • Crash427
    Crash427
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wait for the in combat bug to keep those new mythics active!

If you get the bug, at least you are rewarded with additional power :smiley:

Thats why I used to run shalk exoskeleton. Always had ulti ready when I had to run to a fight
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because they couldn't fix the stuck in combat bug. So I guess they at least looked at that one. Whether they are unwilling or unable doesn't really matter, to me at least. My guild said enough is enough and moved on. How many more have to quit before they get serious about fixing things?

The terrible thing is that they did fix the stuck in combat bug once. After continually complaining, they did come out with a patch that made everyone out of combat after 6 seconds. Then the very next patch they changed the way defensive ticks were handled, making them so you could receive ticks even when you were not in range of the keep or outpost. And for some reason, the stuck in combat bug came back in that patch, too.

I remember Gina or one of the Devs saying that the fix was not an easy one after that. Whether it was related to the new defensive ticks or whether it was related to players using addons to change gears to get additional buffs...we will never know. But they said they didn't want to make a band aid fix. But alas, for over a year (maybe 2 years now), they have done absolutely nothing about this.
  • Nevidyra
    Nevidyra
    ✭✭✭✭
    All I'm going to say is that I can feel when a ballgroup is running. There's zergs 24/7 more or less, but only does the game become miserably laggy and unresponsive when you've got two or more ballgroups on, or when there's 100+ at a keep.

Usually there's two ballgroups at said keep farming the 100+ players there whilst ignoring eachother. I can count the amount of times I've seen ballgroups fight eachother on one hand.

It's a strategy to farm pugs. An effective one, but let's not misconstrue it as GvG's. If ZOS fixes healstacking so only one Rapid Regen or Vigor or something similar is ticking on you at a time in Cyrodiil, you're going to see a pointed reduction in lag. Zergs won't be nearly as effective, and Ballgroups will be (largely) a thing of the past.

And I'll actually be able to duo and trio with friends in Gray Host during the day instead of at 6am or 2am when there's no lag: there's lots of zergs to fight... and no ballgroups.
    Edited by Nevidyra on April 17, 2021 10:52PM
    -PC/NA/AD-
    CP 1k+

Immortal Redeemer [✅]
    Tick-Tock Tormentor [✅]
    Gryphon Heart [✅]
    Godslayer [WIP]
    Dawnbringer [N/A]

• genzo528
    genzo528
    Any chance cross faction teaming will be fixed? I know its a issue on xbox and is supported by cross faction guilds so maybe 3 teams just doesnt work on this game unless they are more devided to people cant abuse it for there own gain.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nevidyra wrote: »
    If ZOS fixes healstacking so only one Rapid Regen or Vigor or something similar is ticking on you at a time... Zergs won't be nearly as effective, and Ballgroups will be (largely) a thing of the past.
    Groups would actually become more effective in that environment.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If ZOS fixes healstacking so only one Rapid Regen or Vigor or something similar is ticking on you at a time... Zergs won't be nearly as effective, and Ballgroups will be (largely) a thing of the past.

Great, let's find out.
  • BardInSolitude
    BardInSolitude
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't really read the thread, but I will respond to the original post just to have another voice heard in this discussion.

Those of us that run ball groups do not "exploit inherent weaknesses in the combat system". Since when is optimisation "exploiting weaknesses"? Do you blame PvE DDs for optimising their DPS using parses? Do you blame PvE healers for optimising their healing and support capacity by choosing the right sets? If not, then why would you blame us doing exactly the same thing but in PvP?

Moreover, I don't understand where this mentality of needing anti-ball mechanics is coming from. Vicious Death was the perfect anti-ball set, and ZOS removed it for whatever reason with their no-proc thing. The funny thing is that most people in the forums have been complaining that VD is the main tool of ball groups when by taking a look at damage logs you can see that most ball groups who were using VD before no-proc had been doing negligible damage with it ever since its damage got buffed a while back, because most people stopped stacking close enough for VD to do significant damage. Do you know who stacks, though? Ball groups!

Lastly, I just want to say this very simple thing: have you ever thought that perhaps ball groups and other large gatherings of players are intended to be the primary mode of combat in Cyrodiil, since it is a simplified representation of a real battlefield? Why would you expect that an unorganised zerg or small-scale group should be able to take on a better equipped and coordinated 12-man raid? Imagine if during Alexander's campaign against Persia the Persians complained to their gods that Greek tactics were "broken" and needed to be balanced, just because they managed to get steamrolled by a far smaller force. It'd be ridiculous, wouldn't it?

I do not mean any offense to anyone, but it has been quite annoying receiving blame for stuff that isn't our fault. I mean, have you guys ever considered that it's ZOS's job to get better servers and not our fault for casting a lot of AoE skills? Also, please do not confuse us with those running server-bloating software; ball groups despise them, too. A lot of you are presenting our work as if it some sort of cheating, a cop-out, when in fact it is the result of a lot of arduous design and practice. And some of us are really out to fight for our faction rather than just farm AP - though it is true that some ball groups are merely looking for fights without any regard for the map.
    DC loyalist. Ball group afficionado. Bard.
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't really read the thread, but I will respond to the original post just to have another voice heard in this discussion.

Those of us that run ball groups do not "exploit inherent weaknesses in the combat system". Since when is optimisation "exploiting weaknesses"? Do you blame PvE DDs for optimising their DPS using parses? Do you blame PvE healers for optimising their healing and support capacity by choosing the right sets? If not, then why would you blame us doing exactly the same thing but in PvP?

Moreover, I don't understand where this mentality of needing anti-ball mechanics is coming from. Vicious Death was the perfect anti-ball set, and ZOS removed it for whatever reason with their no-proc thing. The funny thing is that most people in the forums have been complaining that VD is the main tool of ball groups when by taking a look at damage logs you can see that most ball groups who were using VD before no-proc had been doing negligible damage with it ever since its damage got buffed a while back, because most people stopped stacking close enough for VD to do significant damage. Do you know who stacks, though? Ball groups!

Lastly, I just want to say this very simple thing: have you ever thought that perhaps ball groups and other large gatherings of players are intended to be the primary mode of combat in Cyrodiil, since it is a simplified representation of a real battlefield? Why would you expect that an unorganised zerg or small-scale group should be able to take on a better equipped and coordinated 12-man raid? Imagine if during Alexander's campaign against Persia the Persians complained to their gods that Greek tactics were "broken" and needed to be balanced, just because they managed to get steamrolled by a far smaller force. It'd be ridiculous, wouldn't it?

I do not mean any offense to anyone, but it has been quite annoying receiving blame for stuff that isn't our fault. I mean, have you guys ever considered that it's ZOS's job to get better servers and not our fault for casting a lot of AoE skills? Also, please do not confuse us with those running server-bloating software; ball groups despise them, too. A lot of you are presenting our work as if it some sort of cheating, a cop-out, when in fact it is the result of a lot of arduous design and practice. And some of us are really out to fight for our faction rather than just farm AP - though it is true that some ball groups are merely looking for fights without any regard for the map.

Here is another voice heard in here as I am not a ball group player and as such free to post opinions without having my play-style threatened by others opinions. That being said, anytime you utilize something that tends to be more problematic during specific times than others, and do so with what we have seen posted as clearly overuse of said skills......I my opinion you are - let me use a ball group players own words here "However noone is using any skills to intentionally bug enemies out or anything, realistically it's just a sort of "evolution". Behavior that works gets repeated. At some point someone just noticed that it helps killing stuff in lag to spam stuns (and then aoe down the guys who got stunned). " Ahem....yeah. That.

Personally I don't mind a bit of protective posting for a play-style you are committed to, but with ball-groups this tendency to "swarm" threads with protective posts claiming others simply misunderstand them and are being overly critical, even suggesting the other players don't understand how the game works....is quite tiresome at this point. Regardless of how you see yourselves, and we have established that is on a pretty high pedestal, the reality of a game losing players to the degree we see now calls for quite a bit more honesty about what could be something ZOS might fix that would improve the gaming experience of the vast majority of players they do have left in PvP. They do NOT need to focus on yet again inadvertently buffing said play-styles due to the forum 'swarm' and thread derails to protect it. No one is listing ONE group out of them all or even using groups names at this point----its more of a discussion from players who love the game and want to get focus where it will do the most good and possibly enhance what we do have left of a great game. Don't read into it what isn't there.

Global cool-down for 5 seconds on ALL CC's that worked reliably in game even in lag if focused on would impact the most players right now. The lag is our terminal problem but we have turned things upside down to deal with it---we have no less than two full pages of bugs that have been around for extensive periods of time and not been addressed, yet this one thing above all others would stop taking players chars out of their hands allowing for responses to better deal with all the other issues we face daily in PvP.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sandman929 wrote: »

Great, let's find out.

You probably wouldn't like how that would play out. Coordinated groups would change and adapt almost immediately, normal players would chug along business as usual and be wiped quicker than ever due to not having the protection of 50 random players around them taking care of their buffs, heals and purges for them.

I go out solo or in non-coordinated groups all the time and when taking keeps "in the zerg", many times I have more heals running on me than I get in my regular group just due to the shear number of folks around me casting them. The difference is not the heals stacking, it is the difference in how the average player takes advantage of them, versus how a group working together does. The average player would melt in 2 seconds without all that protection and have a worst time in Cyro than anything they have experienced to date.

Thats how I would see that playing out at least.

Here is another voice heard in here as I am not a ball group player and as such free to post opinions without having my play-style threatened by others opinions. That being said, anytime you utilize something that tends to be more problematic during specific times than others, and do so with what we have seen posted as clearly overuse of said skills......I my opinion you are - let me use a ball group players own words here "However noone is using any skills to intentionally bug enemies out or anything, realistically it's just a sort of "evolution". Behavior that works gets repeated. At some point someone just noticed that it helps killing stuff in lag to spam stuns (and then aoe down the guys who got stunned). " Ahem....yeah. That.

Personally I don't mind a bit of protective posting for a play-style you are committed to, but with ball-groups this tendency to "swarm" threads with protective posts claiming others simply misunderstand them and are being overly critical, even suggesting the other players don't understand how the game works....is quite tiresome at this point. Regardless of how you see yourselves, and we have established that is on a pretty high pedestal, the reality of a game losing players to the degree we see now calls for quite a bit more honesty about what could be something ZOS might fix that would improve the gaming experience of the vast majority of players they do have left in PvP. They do NOT need to focus on yet again inadvertently buffing said play-styles due to the forum 'swarm' and thread derails to protect it. No one is listing ONE group out of them all or even using groups names at this point----its more of a discussion from players who love the game and want to get focus where it will do the most good and possibly enhance what we do have left of a great game. Don't read into it what isn't there.

Global cool-down for 5 seconds on ALL CC's that worked reliably in game even in lag if focused on would impact the most players right now. The lag is our terminal problem but we have turned things upside down to deal with it---we have no less than two full pages of bugs that have been around for extensive periods of time and not been addressed, yet this one thing above all others would stop taking players chars out of their hands allowing for responses to better deal with all the other issues we face daily in PvP.

Not a ball group in sight on my last few forays to Greyhost over the weekend... but before the AD zerg even came into visual range, you could feel their "presence", as skills suddenly stopped working, lag hit the roof and everyone got hit with the slow bug (that wasn't in their zerg). Please tell me how that fits into the whole ball groups are the cause of lag discussion? I would lean more towards zerg stacking being the issue, rather than the ballgroups. They are generally in the same place, but I find it a lot easier to accept 100 random players having a larger effect on performance than 8-12 people would, regardless of what those 8-12 are doing.
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    Sandman929 wrote: »

Great, let's find out.

You probably wouldn't like how that would play out. Coordinated groups would change and adapt almost immediately, normal players would chug along business as usual and be wiped quicker than ever due to not having the protection of 50 random players around them taking care of their buffs, heals and purges for them.

I go out solo or in non-coordinated groups all the time and when taking keeps "in the zerg", many times I have more heals running on me than I get in my regular group just due to the shear number of folks around me casting them. The difference is not the heals stacking, it is the difference in how the average player takes advantage of them, versus how a group working together does. The average player would melt in 2 seconds without all that protection and have a worst time in Cyro than anything they have experienced to date.

Thats how I would see that playing out at least.

Not a ball group in sight on my last few forays to Greyhost over the weekend... but before the AD zerg even came into visual range, you could feel their "presence", as skills suddenly stopped working, lag hit the roof and everyone got hit with the slow bug (that wasn't in their zerg). Please tell me how that fits into the whole ball groups are the cause of lag discussion? I would lean more towards zerg stacking being the issue, rather than the ballgroups. They are generally in the same place, but I find it a lot easier to accept 100 random players having a larger effect on performance than 8-12 people would, regardless of what those 8-12 are doing.

That simple.....no one said they were the source of lag. In fact the discussion was regarding how lag followed no specific rules and what we could as players discuss that might help the most players in cyro with accounting for what ZOS is already working on.
  • BardInSolitude
    BardInSolitude
    ✭✭✭

If you do not love organised Cyrodiil combat, such as that practiced by ball groups, you do not love Cyrodiil; you just love a version of Cyrodiil that exists in your head but isn't the real thing. On what arguments do you base your request for mechanics to combat ball groups? I have already made a case as to why it makes sense from for organised units to be the primary mode of efficient combat in Cyrodiil (i.e. that they parallel real war tactics), but I have thus not seen any counterargument other than "it's not fun for us". You know what's not fun? Effortlessly steamrolling through an unorganised group. I wish that more people formed organised groups because most of us find no pleasure in beating zerglings.

Lastly, in what way is lag related to ball groups? Do you think I enjoy the fact that it takes me 2-3s to get my Negate down when fighting other ball groups? Do you think we never get perma-CCed even when we've already used our Immovable potions? All the problems you are describing are problems that ball groups are facing, too, and would like to see solved. Zenimax's practices is our common problem, yet you choose to turn against other players playing the game fair and square.

So, no, I'm not trying to "defend" ball groups. I'm just trying to show you and so many other people sharing similar views that you are letting ZOS divide and conquer the playerbase. There's nothing you can do that will stop us from using our collective wits and skills to prevail against players that refuse to use group tactics, but if ZOS makes their own game playable maybe we can all finally get a taste of what Cyrodiil-as-intended truly is.
  • jekyto
    jekyto
    ✭✭✭
    If zos make the game playable, your "organized tactics group" wont last for more than 5 seconds mate
  • BardInSolitude
    BardInSolitude
    ✭✭✭
    To all of this I would like to add that my general perspective about Cyrodiil is that, ideally, it should play as written: Alliance versus Alliance. For that to happen each faction needs to be on the same side, with an alliance-wide guild covering most of the faction's military endeavours. Since that is very hard to happen realistically, ball groups are the next best thing. But make no mistake: I would prefer it if the entire faction fought as one unit, not necessarily at the same place but with a shared plan of action.

I am, too, not a fan of groups who go out in Cyrodiil seeking to farm less experienced players while making no impact on the map, but this discussion isn't about Cyrodiil politics but Cyrodiil mechanics so, although I disapprove of ball groups who do not put their efforts to help the faction directly, I cannot disapprove of their combat mechanics, which are indeed admirable.
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you do not love organised Cyrodiil combat, such as that practiced by ball groups, you do not love Cyrodiil; you just love a version of Cyrodiil that exists in your head but isn't the real thing. On what arguments do you base your request for mechanics to combat ball groups? I have already made a case as to why it makes sense from for organised units to be the primary mode of efficient combat in Cyrodiil (i.e. that they parallel real war tactics), but I have thus not seen any counterargument other than "it's not fun for us". You know what's not fun? Effortlessly steamrolling through an unorganised group. I wish that more people formed organised groups because most of us find no pleasure in beating zerglings.

Lastly, in what way is lag related to ball groups? Do you think I enjoy the fact that it takes me 2-3s to get my Negate down when fighting other ball groups? Do you think we never get perma-CCed even when we've already used our Immovable potions? All the problems you are describing are problems that ball groups are facing, too, and would like to see solved. Zenimax's practices is our common problem, yet you choose to turn against other players playing the game fair and square.

So, no, I'm not trying to "defend" ball groups. I'm just trying to show you and so many other people sharing similar views that you are letting ZOS divide and conquer the playerbase. There's nothing you can do that will stop us from using our collective wits and skills to prevail against players that refuse to use group tactics, but if ZOS makes their own game playable maybe we can all finally get a taste of what Cyrodiil-as-intended truly is.

At risk of sounding rude, and I don't wish to....but if you refuse to take the few minutes it takes to read a thread and come in asking for 6 pages of it to be distilled down to a paragraph to bring you individually up to date. No.

I mean I will try to be polite as the next guy--- but the least you can do is read the pages before you ask others to post explanations that are already there for them to read. Now don't take that as rude, its just we don't know each other and are not buddies- do the work yourself at the least if you want to dive into he conversation and demand others cater to your demands.
  • BardInSolitude
    BardInSolitude
    ✭✭✭
    At risk of sounding rude, and I don't wish to....but if you refuse to take the few minutes it takes to read a thread and come in asking for 6 pages of it to be distilled down to a paragraph to bring you individually up to date. No.

I'm not asking you to explain anything. I'm already claiming that after having finally read the thread (and a lot of other similar threads) no such arguments exist and everything is either "ball groups cause lag", which is simply a falsehood as many others have already explained before me, or complaints about enjoyment, which are subjective and are irrelevant to Cyrodiil as a game mode.

I do not seek to change your mind specifically, I merely seek to avoid these falsehoods from poisoning the minds of many other would-be Cyrodiil players who are potentially aversed because of the negativity that you and other like-minded individuals spread for what should be a base requirement of participation Cyrodiil, i.e. organised combat. However, I realise that my no-nonsense and, perhaps, rude tone throughout this discussion isn't exactly helping my cause here. Unfortunately it's tough to be rational.

When I see hardly any complaints about zergs in terms of causing lag, but all the hate is directed towards ballgroups, it's hard for me to interpret this situation as nothing short of jealousy. And at the end of the day, zergs shouldn't be blamed either. I will repeat: ZOS is the only one to be blamed for every single thing you're describing, especially lag. My conscience does not allow me to stand idly by while people like you divert the attention away from ZOS's blatant errors.

Most prominent members of most ball groups could not care less about them being attacked constantly by a portion of the community, and neither do I. I have no personal benefit from this conversation, because as I've already stated there's nothing ZOS can do to prevent us from using our collective wits. Organised groups will always prevail no matter what.
  • BardInSolitude
    BardInSolitude
    ✭✭✭
    That all being said, I don't see this discussion going anywhere. I've already laid down some ideas for people to read, and if I continue I run the risk of saying things I don't mean. After all, it's your funeral.

Have a good day.
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not asking you to explain anything. I'm already claiming that after having finally read the thread (and a lot of other similar threads) no such arguments exist and everything is either "ball groups cause lag", which is simply a falsehood as many others have already explained before me, or complaints about enjoyment, which are subjective and are irrelevant to Cyrodiil as a game mode.

I do not seek to change your mind specifically, I merely seek to avoid these falsehoods from poisoning the minds of many other would-be Cyrodiil players who are potentially aversed because of the negativity that you and other like-minded individuals spread for what should be a base requirement of participation Cyrodiil, i.e. organised combat. However, I realise that my no-nonsense and, perhaps, rude tone throughout this discussion isn't exactly helping my cause here. Unfortunately it's tough to be rational.

When I see hardly any complaints about zergs in terms of causing lag, but all the hate is directed towards ballgroups, it's hard for me to interpret this situation as nothing short of jealousy. And at the end of the day, zergs shouldn't be blamed either. I will repeat: ZOS is the only one to be blamed for every single thing you're describing, especially lag. My conscience does not allow me to stand idly by while people like you divert the attention away from ZOS's blatant errors.

Most prominent members of most ball groups could not care less about them being attacked constantly by a portion of the community, and neither do I. I have no personal benefit from this conversation, because as I've already stated there's nothing ZOS can do to prevent us from using our collective wits. Organised groups will always prevail no matter what.

Its not that I disagree with you posting your opinions, but the language used is tough to pass off as neutral.....don't you think?
    And I cant help notice that as you speak you repeat things that were not said in the thread by myself or really anyone I can recall. Here is the thing though, you dont need to be rational but I can tell you that what you seem to be attributing to me could not be more wrong- If you read the thread, might be that you completely missed the points made and rather had already decided what was said to the point you did not understand what was actually said.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jekyto wrote: »
    If zos make the game playable, your "organized tactics group" wont last for more than 5 seconds mate

Won’t need it to... 😆
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Miralys, AD Magsorc, AR 35
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Lyranais, EP Magsorc, AR 33
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • BardInSolitude
    BardInSolitude
    ✭✭✭
    The issue for me is that they tend to exploit inherent weakness in the combat system while also overloading the server with aoe spasm that further make it hard to kill them.
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    A ball group and an organized group are not the same thing. An organized group will uses classes, skills and gear to be the best they can. A ball group will stack a few select skills and gear to the point of being an exploit.
    I often see Ballgroup using Blood Altar.
    Moreover, Ballgroup uses 3-4 or more Blood Altar at the same time.

Why does Ballgroup do something seemingly useless?

[snip]

[edited for conspiracy theory]
    Earthewen wrote: »
    I would agree with almost everything you said here. However, I don't think it is just the AOE that is causing all the lag. I think it is far more likely that the constant speed with which they are going off is the problem along with the CC overuse. There are some groups who realize that you can exploit the fear CC to an advantage. If two or more fears are layered with other things, you can try to break free or roll dodge until you're blue in the face. You aren't going anywhere and your stam will still be drained. The speed with which these skills go down might be causing an electronic bottleneck in the system and with any macros, etc., ... Well, there goes the neighborhood.
    I my opinion you are - let me use a ball group players own words here "However noone is using any skills to intentionally bug enemies out or anything, realistically it's just a sort of "evolution". Behavior that works gets repeated. At some point someone just noticed that it helps killing stuff in lag to spam stuns (and then aoe down the guys who got stunned). " Ahem....yeah. That.

I apologise for not being able to resist responding, despite what I stated on my last post. Do I need to quote the entire thread?

As for the CC exploits and whatnot, we all hate them. Yet this thread isn't about them, is it? It's about "ball groups". I know a total of, what, two groups in PC-NA No-CP that use these exploits (I'm not going to say names for obvious reasons), and maybe a few players that use CC-related hacks (again, can't say the names, if you play in this server you know who they are). Yet there exist so many ball groups than just those two.

In fact, to respond to another person who recently responded to me, I would say I can't wait for the moment that I can put down my ults when I mean to and not 2-3s later. Most ball groups truly are screwed by server mishaps and have to resort to meta-gaming tactics such as casting ultimates and using Immovables before you normally would.

So, please, make your own organised groups in Cyrodiil! Facing other raids is our passion, especially when they are defending a precious map resource! We don't spend hours upon hours designing builds to fight zergs or exploiters. And, no, that last statement certainly isn't neutral - and it's not meant to be.

Cheers.

Edited by BardInSolitude on April 19, 2021 9:26PM
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue for me is that they tend to exploit inherent weakness in the combat system while also overloading the server with aoe spasm that further make it hard to kill them.
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    A ball group and an organized group are not the same thing. An organized group will uses classes, skills and gear to be the best they can. A ball group will stack a few select skills and gear to the point of being an exploit.
    I often see Ballgroup using Blood Altar.
    Moreover, Ballgroup uses 3-4 or more Blood Altar at the same time.

Why does Ballgroup do something seemingly useless?

[snip]

[edited for conspiracy theory]
    Earthewen wrote: »
    I would agree with almost everything you said here. However, I don't think it is just the AOE that is causing all the lag. I think it is far more likely that the constant speed with which they are going off is the problem along with the CC overuse. There are some groups who realize that you can exploit the fear CC to an advantage. If two or more fears are layered with other things, you can try to break free or roll dodge until you're blue in the face. You aren't going anywhere and your stam will still be drained. The speed with which these skills go down might be causing an electronic bottleneck in the system and with any macros, etc., ... Well, there goes the neighborhood.
    I my opinion you are - let me use a ball group players own words here "However noone is using any skills to intentionally bug enemies out or anything, realistically it's just a sort of "evolution". Behavior that works gets repeated. At some point someone just noticed that it helps killing stuff in lag to spam stuns (and then aoe down the guys who got stunned). " Ahem....yeah. That.

I apologise for not being able to resist responding, despite what I stated on my last post. Do I need to quote the entire thread?

As for the CC exploits and whatnot, we all hate them. Yet this thread isn't about them, is it? It's about "ball groups". I know a total of, what, two groups in PC-NA No-CP that use these exploits (I'm not going to say names for obvious reasons), and maybe a few players that use CC-related hacks (again, can't say the names, if you play in this server you know who they are). Yet there exist so many ball groups than just those two.

In fact, to respond to another person who recently responded to me, I would say I can't wait for the moment that I can put down my ults when I mean to and not 2-3s later. Most ball groups truly are screwed by server mishaps and have to resort to meta-gaming tactics such as casting ultimates and using Immovables before you normally would.

So, please, make your own organised groups in Cyrodiil! Facing other raids is our passion, especially when they are defending a precious map resource! We don't spend hours upon hours designing builds to fight zergs or exploiters. And, no, that last statement certainly isn't neutral - and it's not meant to be.

Cheers.

No need to apologize for posting, it helps with clarity, and no....you don't need to quote the whole thread- but selective quotes only works if you have one where someone claimed it was ball groups alone that caused lag as one of your posts seemed to feel was the topic and what really was not the topic at all. The selection you chose seems to reinforce what has been said earlier here and that is lag is a problem that most certainly can be exacerbated but isn't due to one thing alone or one group of players alone. Seems now at least you have seen there is a line between ball groups and organized raids that was defined to some semblance of consensus.

And to be even clearer, you read what you read into the thread but the original post and most of the feel of the rest with a few outliers is about how we might find something that helps players experience in lag be somewhat better if we can find one thing that assists most players and translates to a better experience. The overriding thing players seem to complain about the most is knowing what and exactly when to do something but be totally locked out of having char respond to do so- so exhaustive efforts were put into discussion on what those things might look like- we ran down one of the biggest issues was in lag and the 5 sec immunity to CC's was serious problem for almost all players regardless of play-style. Ball groups and players seemed to think this was an issue, though ball group players took more of an 'you would just be dead sooner if it were not for the lag' and others took the 'you would not get kills if immunity worked' angle.

So I say again, in the interest of helping ZOS with some constructive input to the player experience we recognize that the bugs are not fixed and are tough, so is lag and that is constant issue for players- each one of those goes off into 50 different directions and the complications are many. But----focus on giving a real, reliable and functioning 5 secs of immunity to ALL CC's especially in lag would make an impact for nearly all players.

Some think the solution lies in other directions such as how heal stacking and purge works and nothing at all wrong with that being looked at- but the idea here is what would change very little in game, is supposed to work but doesn't and causes massive issues with lag making it worse? CC immunity not functioning properly.

In my opinion the other issues listed are all good ones to be sure, and problems---but open Pandora's box of things that I feel would distract from something that ZOS could put time and effort into and produce real results the players would see first hand improving the experience in cyro.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Sigh* Another day another nerf ball group thread. I think I'm just going to save this post to copy and paste for future ball group threads. The arguments have gotten so tiring at this point. Let me tackle some of the ones I find most bothersome:

"Ball groups cause all the lag"

This one I don't want to dismiss outright. I have seen and heard anecdotal evidence of this. However blaming the lag on the behavior of ball groups is ridiculous, and thanks to all of the annoying tests we know that it isn't true.

Last summer the forums were full of threads about how ball groups were "overloading the server by spamming skills." Well ZOS decided to do 2 months worth of testing, disabling spammable AOE skills. Guess what? It had absolutely no effect on the lag and in many cases made it worse.

When this argument fell through people started thinking "maybe it's all the coordinated proc sets ball groups use." Well thanks to these people we haven't been able to use 90% of our sets the past 3 months. Guess what? There was absolutely zero improvement in lag and in many cases it made it worse.

Now I see people returning to the "maybe it's them spamming skills" above. Come on, let's just place the blame squarely at the feet of who's responsible: ZOS and their crappy coding. If ball groups are causing more lag, ZOS' tests, as annoying as they were, have proved it's nothing ball groups are doing within the normal bounds of gameplay. Maybe ZOS should take a look at their groupfinder code to find out what the problem is. Because at this point that's the only thing that could be the problem.

"Ball groups are intentionally lagging the servers to win"

I'm sorry but this is simply not true. Outside of certain ball groups, well known for doing this (which for some reason ZOS doesn't care about) most ball groups do not intentionally cause lag. The common opinion of ball group players seems to be that they're all evil, sweaty people with absolutely no lives who want to win at any cost. Anyone who's played in ball groups knows that's not the case (aside from a certain few groups). Heck, when I lead reads I have to remind my raiders that we're supposed to be fighting because they're too busy joking around with each other.

"Ball groups are coordinating, sets, skills and it's unfair"

Well of course they are, it's an objective-based cooperative PvP mode. What are they supposed to do? Purposefully make themselves weaker so that solo players and zerglings can compete? ESO PvP is not an FPS, that's not what Cyrodiil has been for the last six years and I see no reason for it to change.

I feel that I may have come across a bit bitter above, if so I apologize. I'm just tired of seeing me and my friends getting blamed for all of ESO's PVP problems when we're just trying to have fun. To correct for this let me put forth some constructive suggestions on how ZOS can fix the issues:

-Take a look at the group finder. If Ball groups are causing lag this is the only remaining source where this could be coming from. Because mechanically they function identical to zergs.

-As others have said, fix the CC immunity bug. I can't state how obnoxious it is at this point to not be able to break free, or worse, lose stamina trying to break free and it having no effect.

-Actually listen to the feedback your players give you on PTS, and not just the youtubers. When people say "this is OP" or point out a negative consequence that you haven't foreseen, actually acknowledge it and take it into account. I see some of the sets they come out with and the ideas they have and it would surprise me if any of the devs actually participate in organized PvP

Finally I'd like to encourage anyone to join a ball group and see that we're not all evil people who want to eat PvErs raw (steam broiled with a side of melted butter is my preference)
  • BardInSolitude
    BardInSolitude
    ✭✭✭
    [snip]
    but selective quotes only works if you have one where someone claimed it was ball groups alone that caused lag as one of your posts seemed to feel was the topic and what really was not the topic at all.

[snip]

As previously stated, I'm not here to defend the pride of ball groups; I am here to make my own tiny contribution in steering a clearly misguided community that would rather turn on itself than realise the sad truth that Zenimax is not interested in pouring resources into this game because they can make a lot of money regardless.

Ball groups will still be around even if Zenimax decides to disallow all groups and remove all AoE skills. And those refusing to follow their tactics will still get beaten, as they always have been.

[snip]

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on April 20, 2021 11:38AM
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can I get an invite, Bard? I love a good secret society! Do we get cool uniforms?
    Edited by neferpitou73 on April 20, 2021 12:52AM
  • BardInSolitude
    BardInSolitude
    ✭✭✭
    Can I get an invite, Bard? I love a good secret society! Do we get cool uniforms?

Sorry, kid. Only players with fully-golded vet trial gear, 120+ CPM, 50ms reaction time and a mouse with at least 30 buttons are accepted. Oh, and you need a subscription to ESO+++ for the premium anti-CC content.

Edited by BardInSolitude on April 20, 2021 1:00AM
  • BardInSolitude
    BardInSolitude
    ✭✭✭
    [Quoted post was removed]

[snip]

This is a thread that claims that ball groups pose a problem in Cyrodiil, is it not? Is that not the title of the original post? Does OP not claim that players need more tools to counter ball groups, explicitly stating in a later comment (which I've quoted) that they think that ball groups should be defeatable without having to resort to ball group or zerg tactics. So I stepped in this thread, saying that the stuff that OP and other speakers (who I've quoted) blame ball groups for are incorrectly attributed to ball groups and are instead deeper game issues that we all (including ball groups) would like to see fixed. I also said that any complaints about the efficiency of ball group tactics are unreasonable because better tactics should be victorious. And somehow I get called out on being off-topic? Since when directly disagreeing with the claims of a post is off-topic? [snip]

[snip]

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on April 20, 2021 11:40AM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sanctum74 wrote: »
    Makes more sense to just use the many counters already available instead of adding an I win button to the game. Ball groups would just use it against you and then people would be back complaining again.

No one said anything about an I win button. The lack of destructible environments make it difficult to counter certain game play. Their ability to stack spam heals and purges make current siege useless against them.

Like it or not, most players don't want to ball up. It shouldn't take a zerg to kill 12 enemies.

And if they want to use such a siege weapon then more power to them but there's a reason why they usually don't use siege. They aren't usually trying to take keeps.

You did. You want a piece of inventory to place down and kill multiple players that you are incapable of doing so with your actual abilities. That's absolutely an I Win button. It's the equivalent of opening up the console on a game like Civilization and just nuking the crap of all the other civilizations.

You honestly think destroying resource towers is going to stop the pugs that get farmed chasing organized groups and small scalers who wait in there? This is a behavior issue that's not going to go away because players can destroy a resource tower. There are probably 1001 choke points throughout Cyrodiil that will serve just as well.

It doesn't take a zerg to kill 12 enemies. It just takes another 12 players with better players, superior teamwork, and more intelligent tactics. That's it. There isn't any need for ZOS to hand out the equivalent of tactical nukes. If you don;t want to be a part of a group of 10-12, that's fine. Just stop mindlessly chasing groups (of whatever size) of skilled players simply hoping numerical superiority will win the day and you'll stop appearing on the kill counts of organized group players.

Even as a new player in ESO I have to agree with this as it not only makes sense but is completely logic-based. In any MMORPG, PvE or PvP, if I get obliterated I try to figure out how to overcome the obstacle. In PvE I realize others have accomplished or cleared the challenge and in PvP I work to rise to the occasion myself and/or with a group of players.

Heck, from the definition of a "ball group" provided to me in this thread is just makes sense to cease going into the tower and literally stop feeding them. Their tactic works only because players choose to keep feeding them.
  • BardInSolitude
    BardInSolitude
    ✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Heck, from the definition of a "ball group" provided to me in this thread is just makes sense to cease going into the tower and literally stop feeding them. Their tactic works only because players choose to keep feeding them.

"Ball group" refers to a coordinated PvP group that is tightly packed around their leader. Not all ball groups farm PUGs in towers; some of them actually play map, which means that if you, too, care about your faction you will at some point have to face a ball group.

I can't count the times that my group has pulled a keep defense simply by standing at the front door and bombing PUGs or loose groups who so much as tried to step inside. Yet, as Joy Division has pointed out, another similar group is potentially able to breach the choke even with us defending it, if only they time their ults correctly and manage to outplay us. And that's Cyrodiil combat, fair and square.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Salve of Renewal: When you remove a negative effect from yourself or an ally, you heal them and allies within an 8 meter radius of them for 1280 Health per stage. 5 stages max, at 10 points per stage.

This, along with Cleanse, Efficient purge, or the set Curse-Eater, is going to be extremely powerful in pvp. Especially if there is no cooldown.

And omg! Didn't even think about Warden's netch. A group of stamina wardens, a popular ball group, can passively heal each other infinitely. This is going to be so broken.
    Edited by maxjapank on April 20, 2021 6:22AM
This discussion has been closed.