The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Eidetic Memory Bugs/Comments/Help

• Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @EnerG, the wiki says you'll find it near the southern entrance to the ruins, and I recall I found it post quest when I was hunting Eidetic memory books, so I would look around. Good luck!

Checking back in myself, has anyone seen "Journal of Justiciar Avanaire", "The Scaled Elves", or "Sealed Letter" post quest in a readable location since the last patch?
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
  • mattieb_1981
    mattieb_1981
    Soul Shriven
    Hi

I'm missing just 7 books now!

Tome of the Undaunted - I have the signed version, I cannot find the unsigned version anywhere

Development of the Hollow - It appears to be in Blight Bog Sump but I cannot find it anywhere, I've been to the position it's meant to be but nothing there, even after a reload

Beware the Shadowscales - Apparently in Arenthia but cannot find it anywhere (I spent nearly an hour running around that place!)

Rite of the Scion - You're meant to get this from Lamae when you run the vampire quest at the end, done it three times and still nothing.

Missing Miners - Apparently in the Lightless Hollow in Blackreach, again ran around for ages and nothing.

On Orcs and the Afterlife - Supposed to be on the Temple Rectory desk, but I can't get back in the room!

Ruined Watchmaster's Journal - This is meant to be in Watcher's Hold inside a ruined tower but cannot see it at all!

Any help super appreciated!!
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tome of the Undaunted unsigned is a well known bugged book, its just not available at the moment. Have got all the others on your list including Beware the Shadowscales, I had similar issues with that one but did get it in the end, possibly from a bookshelf
  • TrofoHawk
    TrofoHawk
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes to Tome of the Undaunted (unsigned) I`ve been replied to with the answer that the book works as intended... go figure when they simply don`t wanna fix it...
  • Redmicrowave
    Redmicrowave
    Soul Shriven
    Hi guys,

I'm about to start a new account and hunt them all down.

Is there a list of miss able or bugged books i need to know about before i start?

Thanks
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok so I finally finished all elsweyr quests(from what I know) and I ended up missing only 3 books
    -Letter to Bakul
    -Letter to Jakarn
    (I am at its exact location in the sewer but there is nothing there:( and I checked it especially when I was doing the quests as well...still nothing there...am I missing anything?)
    -Sealed Imperial Summons

all help is welcome! :3

* Letter to Jakarn:

Did you finish the Jakarn's quest? (Jewel of Baan Dar) It starts very late into the questline, and has no obvious quest giver marker, you need to wander in the area between the wayshrine, writ delivery crates and daily quest givers to get it.

In process of the quest, the book is in the sewers. After the quest, the book is at the lower landing in Stitches, where this quest ends.

@MreeBiPolar can you tell me exactly where the Letter to Jakarn is? i have been circling the Stitches and checked every house and every corner and i can't find it. I did finish the quest, the addon shows it is here, but i can not find it.
    Edited by Sergykid on February 20, 2021 10:04PM
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

I'm about to start a new account and hunt them all down.

Is there a list of miss able or bugged books i need to know about before i start?

Thanks

Be careful about Tome of the Undaunted. I have 18 AD toons, none of which has been able to get this book going on 4+ years now.

Support variously says it’s working as intended or broken and never going to be fixed.

YMMV.
    Edited by virtus753 on February 20, 2021 10:13PM
  • cmetzger93
    cmetzger93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone help with “the undaunted need you” this book was for the undaunted event which I missed so it is not at the impresarios anymore.
    Sealed letter was the dragonhold quest starter and can’t be found outside of the crown store after you complete the quest.
    On voriplasms, the UESP says it’s in a camp northwest of sweet breeze overlook and but I can’t seem to find it.
  • Gabriel_H
    Gabriel_H
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

I'm missing just 7 books now!

Tome of the Undaunted - I have the signed version, I cannot find the unsigned version anywhere

Development of the Hollow - It appears to be in Blight Bog Sump but I cannot find it anywhere, I've been to the position it's meant to be but nothing there, even after a reload

Beware the Shadowscales - Apparently in Arenthia but cannot find it anywhere (I spent nearly an hour running around that place!)

Rite of the Scion - You're meant to get this from Lamae when you run the vampire quest at the end, done it three times and still nothing.

Missing Miners - Apparently in the Lightless Hollow in Blackreach, again ran around for ages and nothing.

On Orcs and the Afterlife - Supposed to be on the Temple Rectory desk, but I can't get back in the room!

Ruined Watchmaster's Journal - This is meant to be in Watcher's Hold inside a ruined tower but cannot see it at all!

Any help super appreciated!!

Tome of the Undaunted - Known Bug

Development of the Hollow - It should be there. It's possible you've found a new bug. Try looking around the area with the quest giver.

Beware the Shadowscales - It's a bookshelf book. Rift, Reaper's March, Bangkorai. Just check any bookshelves every couple of days.

Rite of the Scion - Known Bug

Missing Miners - I have this, but have no saved location data for it. Iirc it is in or around the Bitterblade mining building.

On Orcs and the Afterlife - Can also be found on bookshelves in Wrothgar

Ruined Watchmaster's Journal - This is inside the Watcher's Hold delve rather than the outside. In the tower, on the stone table right behind where the delve boss is.
  • Gabriel_H
    Gabriel_H
    ✭✭✭
    cmetzger93 wrote: »
    Can anyone help with “the undaunted need you” this book was for the undaunted event which I missed so it is not at the impresarios anymore.
    Sealed letter was the dragonhold quest starter and can’t be found outside of the crown store after you complete the quest.
    On voriplasms, the UESP says it’s in a camp northwest of sweet breeze overlook and but I can’t seem to find it.

The Undaunted Need You - Think you'll have to wait for the next undaunted event.

Sealed Letter - Still not in game as far as I know. I'm also still missing it.

On Voriplasms - Murkmire bookshelves. Check them every couple of days, it will come.
  • Gabriel_H
    Gabriel_H
    ✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    ok so I finally finished all elsweyr quests(from what I know) and I ended up missing only 3 books
    -Letter to Bakul
    -Letter to Jakarn
    (I am at its exact location in the sewer but there is nothing there:( and I checked it especially when I was doing the quests as well...still nothing there...am I missing anything?)
    -Sealed Imperial Summons

* Letter to Jakarn:

Did you finish the Jakarn's quest? (Jewel of Baan Dar) It starts very late into the questline, and has no obvious quest giver marker, you need to wander in the area between the wayshrine, writ delivery crates and daily quest givers to get it.

In process of the quest, the book is in the sewers. After the quest, the book is at the lower landing in Stitches, where this quest ends.

@MreeBiPolar can you tell me exactly where the Letter to Jakarn is? i have been circling the Stitches and checked every house and every corner and i can't find it. I did finish the quest, the addon shows it is here, but i can not find it.

Go to the Stitches wayshrine. Head into the Stitches over the bridge. Get to the centre island with the Tavern on it. Turn left. Go under the Tavern to where the big cat is. Table next to him.
  • Gabriel_H
    Gabriel_H
    ✭✭✭
    Djennku wrote: »
    @EnerG, the wiki says you'll find it near the southern entrance to the ruins, and I recall I found it post quest when I was hunting Eidetic memory books, so I would look around. Good luck!

Checking back in myself, has anyone seen "Journal of Justiciar Avanaire", "The Scaled Elves", or "Sealed Letter" post quest in a readable location since the last patch?

Journal of Justiciar Avanaire - Should be in the boss room of Tor-Hame-Khard

The Scaled Elves - Camp outside Sea Keep. Head due East from the main gate.

Sealed Letter - Still not in game post quest.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gabriel_H wrote: »
    -Letter to Bakul
    -Letter to Jakarn
    -Sealed Imperial Summons

* Letter to Jakarn:

Go to the Stitches wayshrine. Head into the Stitches over the bridge. Get to the centre island with the Tavern on it. Turn left. Go under the Tavern to where the big cat is. Table next to him.

@Gabriel_H thanks for trying to help but i didn't find it.
    what is there to turn left from the tavern? there is no place "under the tavern". I went all around on these small posts in the lower leves, but nothing.
    and what big cat? left of tavern is a fence, do u have a name or an image?

i am pretty sure i've done the quest, i don't have any quest giver in any settlement, and i've done all quests and all achievements on the zone. The book is still shown on addon on map in two places, one near Stitches, and one in Rimmen Palace Recesses. Went in both places and it is not there.
  • Gabriel_H
    Gabriel_H
    ✭✭✭
    @Gabriel_H thanks for trying to help but i didn't find it.
    what is there to turn left from the tavern? there is no place "under the tavern". I went all around on these small posts in the lower leves, but nothing.
    and what big cat? left of tavern is a fence, do u have a name or an image?

i am pretty sure i've done the quest, i don't have any quest giver in any settlement, and i've done all quests and all achievements on the zone. The book is still shown on addon on map in two places, one near Stitches, and one in Rimmen Palace Recesses. Went in both places and it is not there.

t4wu2tqarwpf.png
    exswn682rrcp.png
    1kdrdnxtn5uc.png
    jj8f98slb3dp.png

• Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i really appreciate the help! however, it is not there.

5Nuvgoe.png

i asked support both in bug report and character issue, they replied to me that they don't know where all the items are and i was like "bruh, wut?

what i could have wrong, it may be a Lorebooks bug? i updated the addon, and other zones where i had the same issue i actually found the book somewhere
  • Gabriel_H
    Gabriel_H
    ✭✭✭

5Nuvgoe.png

i asked support both in bug report and character issue, they replied to me that they don't know where all the items are and i was like "bruh, wut?

what i could have wrong, it may be a Lorebooks bug? i updated the addon, and other zones where i had the same issue i actually found the book somewhere

Hmmm ... this is the quest you need - it's only available after completing the zone story.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:The_Jewel_of_Baan_Dar
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes books don't show up immediately upon entering an area (it's a distance draw issue with the game)

You can always try to log out and back into that character so they spawn right on the book. This sometimes forces it to show up if it's that bug.

(I had to do this with the Worship at Fanacas and one of the AD scroll temple books to get them to show)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭

5Nuvgoe.png

i asked support both in bug report and character issue, they replied to me that they don't know where all the items are and i was like "bruh, wut?"

Hmmm ... this is the quest you need - it's only available after completing the zone story.

i did all the quests and achievements including main story and this side quest.
    i checked the quest wiki link, i went to The Grave in Stros M'Kai, and the icon is white and says "you freed Jakarn and recovered the stolen gemstone.".
    so i indeed did the quest. I also checked the other spot wiki says,
    near the Baandari Caravan Stop:

now here comes the surprise. I did not see any quest marker so i thought ... but when i stepped literally on the caravan, Jakarn spawns inside a ladder and gives me a quest.

come on ... how was i supposed to find this thing other than randomly walking through the town ?? i will finish the quest and i suppose this will get me to that damned book so i can tick all the books, currently at 3847/3888

thanks man, without your insistences i don't think i would have followed the place any time soon until stumbling upon it randomly
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

5Nuvgoe.png

i asked support both in bug report and character issue, they replied to me that they don't know where all the items are and i was like "bruh, wut?"

i checked the quest wiki link, i went to The Grave in Stros M'Kai, and the icon is white and says "you freed Jakarn and recovered the stolen gemstone.".

now here comes the surprise. I did not see any quest marker so i thought ... but when i stepped literally on the caravan, Jakarn spawns inside a ladder and gives me a quest.

come on ... how was i supposed to find this thing other than randomly walking through the town ?? i will finish the quest and i suppose this will get me to that damned book so i can tick all the books, currently at 3847/3888

thanks man, without your insistences i don't think i would have followed the place any time soon until stumbling upon it randomly

The quest in Rimmen is meant to be a surprise reveal. It will only pop after you progress a certain way through the main Northern Elsweyr questline because the side quest requires access to a particular location.

Personally I found it both clever and frustrating to have a side quest that works this way. Keep in mind that one of the loading screens does tell you to wander in order to discover new quests. That seems to be part of the design, even if as MMO players (myself included) we have been lulled somewhat into complacency in expecting every quest to be marked and calling for attention.
  • Gabriel_H
    Gabriel_H
    ✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

The quest in Rimmen is meant to be a surprise reveal. It will only pop after you progress a certain way through the main Northern Elsweyr questline because the side quest requires access to a particular location.

Personally I found it both clever and frustrating to have a side quest that works this way. Keep in mind that one of the loading screens does tell you to wander in order to discover new quests. That seems to be part of the design, even if as MMO players (myself included) we have been lulled somewhat into complacency in expecting every quest to be marked and calling for attention.

Indeed. I use the Quest Journal addon to make sure I found all the quests in a zone.
  • Gabriel_H
    Gabriel_H
    ✭✭✭

5Nuvgoe.png

Yeah, it's one of those Easter Egg quests. Glad you got the book. Now if only they'd fix the 3 bugged ones. :'(
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's one of those Easter Egg quests. Glad you got the book. Now if only they'd fix the 3 bugged ones. :'(

which are the 3 bugged ones? according to Lorebooks addon, i have every single book read in Elsweyr (and every other zones except Hew's Bane and Cyrodiil, in which i am yet to go)
  • aussie500
    aussie500
    ✭✭✭
    Although I am still missing 3 books, 2 I will get when I get around to finishing one of the newer quest lines, my enthusiasm is lacking since I know I cannot actually get all the books. Many times my main character and book hunter has been a vampire trying to get Rite of the Scion, many other characters also tried to get it, across all 3 of my accounts, none can get the book.

After all the years of putting up with the woefully slow book fixes, I am pissed off STILL I cannot get all the books.gnd3e99wmqpe.jpg

They could just put the stupid book in the cavern we explore at the start of the quest, so we can read the thing.
  • Gabriel_H
    Gabriel_H
    ✭✭✭

which are the 3 bugged ones? according to Lorebooks addon, i have every single book read in Elsweyr (and every other zones except Hew's Bane and Cyrodiil, in which i am yet to go)

Unsigned Tome of the Undaunted - It bugs for a lot of people

Sealed Letter - If you didn't read it before the quest it can't currently be found in game

Rite of the Scion - By all accounts you used to get it after finishing the quest to become a vampire but it no longer drops
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sealed Letter - If you didn't read it before the quest it can't currently be found in game

Rite of the Scion - By all accounts you used to get it after finishing the quest to become a vampire but it no longer drops

i have read Tome of the Undaunted (signed)
    and below it, unread, Tome of the Undaunted, without the unsigned word specified, i suppose this is the one

Sealed Letter, not read and i don't see it anywhere either.

Rite of the Scion, i actually have this one read, maybe from a time when it was not bugged?

i still miss around 30 books, 20 after i get Cyrodiil and Imperial City ones. But thing is, the Lorebooks addon is not showing those 20 where are they, i would have to google each one separately. Do you have another addon that shows these locations?
  • aussie500
    aussie500
    ✭✭✭

i have read Tome of the Undaunted (signed)
    and below it, unread, Tome of the Undaunted, without the unsigned word specified, i suppose this is the one

Sealed Letter, not read and i don't see it anywhere either.

Rite of the Scion, i actually have this one read, maybe from a time when it was not bugged?

i still miss around 30 books, 20 after i get Cyrodiil and Imperial City ones. But thing is, the Lorebooks addon is not showing those 20 where are they, i would have to google each one separately. Do you have another addon that shows these locations?

For the imperial City books, you will be reading every bookshelf and stack of books for some time, they rotate around there is no specific location for them.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like many IC books, many of the other lorebooks, especially in the base game, don’t have specific locations in the world. Instead, there are pools from which books are chosen randomly, and each location draws from a given pool for its bookshelves.

For example, in the Reliquary of Stars in Grahtwood you will see a *lot* of bookshelves, all of which pull from the same sizable set of lorebooks. If any of the books you’re missing are in that pool, try looking there — or in any other location that draws from the same pool. Many delves within the same zone will share the same books, but sometimes the connection is not apparent (perhaps to make it feel more randomized).

Some are specific to a particular area, like Craglorn or the DLC zones. Mages Guilds tend to have a lot of bookshelves to search.

UESP has a book log viewer that can help point you towards possible locations for individual books you need. That way you can be fairly sure you’re looking in the right place. If you notice a lot of various locations and especially delves on a given book’s list, you’re looking at a random bookshelf spawn and will need to keep checking those locations listed.

Places that I checked a lot in picking up my last few (aside from the permanently bugged Tome of the Undaunted) included:

-Reliquary of Stars
    -The Mages Guild in Velyn Harbor
    -Craglorn bookshelves (in addition to the mages guild and outlaws refuge in Belkarth, you can check instances like Skyreach and the lobby areas of Craglorn trials like AA)
    -Abah’s Landing (tons of bookshelves in the various shops, especially in the Mages Guild and the Enchanter’s shop near the bank)
  • 3KhajiitInACloak
    3KhajiitInACloak
    Soul Shriven
    I cannot find "Aranias Diary" at the College of Aldmeri Propriety. I have followed the pinned Eidetic pin and it's sadly not there. I have scoured the entire college and perimeter to see if it's sitting elsewhere after the quest and I've found nothing. It has been brought up in other threads in the past.

Has anyone else had any luck finding this one after the quest or am I doomed to never have it?

edit: I may have found an answer! You return to the college on for another quest, Final Blows. The book may appear during this.
    Edited by 3KhajiitInACloak on March 16, 2021 5:04PM
  • AntsyFiddler
    AntsyFiddler
    ✭✭
    Captain's Note on Firemoth Island. My main character did the starter quest years ago and left this book. Have they put the book in another place for those who have finished the quest, like they do for other quest books? I have not been able to get back to Firemoth and ZOS is completely useless as usual. I have tried to have the Breaking Through the Fog quest shared but it says unable to share. Is there something I'm missing or should I write this book off as never ever going to get?
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Captain's Note on Firemoth Island. My main character did the starter quest years ago and left this book. Have they put the book in another place for those who have finished the quest, like they do for other quest books? I have not been able to get back to Firemoth and ZOS is completely useless as usual. I have tried to have the Breaking Through the Fog quest shared but it says unable to share. Is there something I'm missing or should I write this book off as never ever going to get?

I’m pretty sure I was able to get to Firemoth Island on my main, who was made pre-Chapters and so never did the Morrowind tutorial. I will try looking again today.