Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

December Crown Store houseguest - Sereyne

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inaya wrote: »
    I swore I would NEVER buy one but OMG I love this little drunk kitty soooooo much! I MUST have her.

I know. :(

And I was really wanting to conserve my crowns too. But I don't think I will be able to resist this one.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 22, 2020 10:00AM
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Faiza wrote: »
    MajThorax wrote: »
    The voice actor isn't the same. A part of Sereyne's charm was her funny and cute drunk voice. So beware to those who will buy her because you can't preview her lines on the crown store!

I wish you could preview their lines. She has a lot of lines, but the voice really bothers me. After listening to her a few more times I wish I get refund her >.<

I was on a fence about her because of voice, but then I saw her sleeping on a sofa.
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ryuvain wrote: »
    Iluvrien wrote: »
    Well, at least this thread has helped me understand why ZOS feels comfortable monetising every new system that comes out of the door.

With people paying (at best) over £13 worth of crowns for a single house NPC they must feel like Christmas comes every day.

Why bother releasing actual working content when they can use an existing art asset (created for something else we already paid for), with minor additions, to get even more money?

Pretty sure this counts as working content. Nothing is broke here. In that case why buy npc costumes and cosmetics? Polymorphs?

Their company has to get money somehow. As long as its not bad or broken content then isn't this fine?

Quite simply, the choice isn’t between paying DLC prices for cosmetics or ZOS going bankrupt.

They make money. They sell chapters, they have subs.

Every report I have seen about micro transactions suggests that monetisation to this degree isn’t about keeping the lights on.

When we can buy full games for the price of a single furnishing item in an MMO then someone is having a laugh.
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least this thread has helped me understand why ZOS feels comfortable monetising every new system that comes out of the door.

With people paying (at best) over £13 worth of crowns for a single house NPC they must feel like Christmas comes every day.

Why bother releasing actual working content when they can use an existing art asset (created for something else we already paid for), with minor additions, to get even more money?

Pretty sure this counts as working content. Nothing is broke here. In that case why buy npc costumes and cosmetics? Polymorphs?

Their company has to get money somehow. As long as its not bad or broken content then isn't this fine?

Quite simply, the choice isn’t between paying DLC prices for cosmetics or ZOS going bankrupt.

Every report I have seen about micro transactions suggests that monetisation to this degree isn’t about keeping the lights on.

When we can buy full games for the price of a single furnishing item in an MMO then someone is having a laugh.

Maybe so, but do you really think a company will keep a game alive if they aren't making money off it?

Where I live full games are around 60$. 25 isn't small but it's acceptable for me. I see your point though, I don't buy any houses or mounts due to outlandish prices.

All it comes down to is how much I like the product and if I believe it's worth the cost. In this case, Sereyne being one of my favorite npcs just barely made it worth it. Everyone has different opinions here.

(At least it's not a lootbox crown gem item. Those are infuriating.)
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • TineaCruris
    TineaCruris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *lowers head in disappointment*

...and people wonder why ZOS doesn't invest in performance improvements.
  • belfong
    belfong
    ✭✭
    Does houseguest randomly talk or, do I have to Use it to make it talk?
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I STILL WANT FENNORIAN... PLEASE ZOS.

x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017Proud member of the Aetherium Alliance.Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about others, but I don't have problems with the performance of house guests. I don't have all, though, so maybe I am missing something.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The voice actor isn't the same. A part of Sereyne's charm was her funny and cute drunk voice. So beware to those who will buy her because you can't preview her lines on the crown store!

We really need a way to preview items on consoles since we don't have a PTS we can play around with.

Stay safe and have fun :)
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    belfong wrote: »
    Does houseguest randomly talk or, do I have to Use it to make it talk?

They don't speak, but if you ignore Sereyne for a bit she wobbles about and hiccups which...is really cute lol

Biro-dar mutters to himself as he paces/reads/writes but it's nothing comprehensible.

Dunno about the others because I don't have/use them.
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nairinhe wrote: »

I wish you could preview their lines. She has a lot of lines, but the voice really bothers me. After listening to her a few more times I wish I get refund her >.<

I was on a fence about her because of voice, but then I saw her sleeping on a sofa.

Aww!! I admit her mannerisms are adorable lol. I hope you do like her. I couldn't get over the voice so I asked for a refund. I was excited to have another Alfiq but...

I really hope that the Adusa houseguest is the same as the Adusa npc 😔
  • Lintashi
    Lintashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    watched a video on youtube about Sereyne. Voice is different, and kinda annoying. Phrases were not really good too, just good. Imho, not worth it. Yes, you can have some fun first time you listen to her talking, but after that it soon becomes annoying. And I alr have merchant and banker, they at least provide some functions.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lintashi wrote: »
    watched a video on youtube about Sereyne. Voice is different, and kinda annoying. Phrases were not really good too, just good. Imho, not worth it. Yes, you can have some fun first time you listen to her talking, but after that it soon becomes annoying. And I alr have merchant and banker, they at least provide some functions.
    Listened to her just now, and yeah, you all are totally right, she does have a different voice! :confused:
    If they don't even rehire the same character voice actors (who might be more expensive I guess? Don't know) then why are they 1000 Crowns more than the regular voiced House Guests? Makes even less sense. They have around the same voice lines.

The change isn't even good. Original Sereyne had a melodic, dainty voice - which made the delivery of her drunk lines even funnier. The new voice is too direct and flat. Just a regular drunk Russian person, rather than a believable Alfiq.
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Maybe so, but do you really think a company will keep a game alive if they aren't making money off it?

Where I live full games are around 60$. 25 isn't small but it's acceptable for me. I see your point though, I don't buy any houses or mounts due to outlandish prices.

All it comes down to is how much I like the product and if I believe it's worth the cost. In this case, Sereyne being one of my favorite npcs just barely made it worth it. Everyone has different opinions here.

How much money do they need to make? Because that is the problem here. A company on its own will not set a limit, it will try and wring every single penny (or cent) out of every single player. That isn't leveled at ZOS, that is business. So where is the happy medium between the minimum (keeping the lights on) and the maximum (all of the money)? Saying they won't keep the place open without making a profit is a trusim.

Every time someone buys an item like this at the outlandish prices you refer to, it changes the landscape for everyone. We, the playerbase, are literally rewarding games companies for exploiting us... and then people are surprised when they continue to push the envelope. They have nothing to lose.

As I said, this is a general observation, and not just about ZOS and housing NPCs.

But answer me this, how many housing NPCs are available through normal (non-crown store) based gameplay?

Do you think that balance is right?
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Faiza Open a ticket and explain this. With how the house guest was not how you thought with different voice. They are often quite good at refunds.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without even having the original voice actor for the NPC, 2500 crowns is just way too much. I think 2500 for any house guest is too much, but when it technically isn't the character people like then it's even more unjustified.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How much money do they need to make? Because that is the problem here. A company on its own will not set a limit, it will try and wring every single penny (or cent) out of every single player. That isn't leveled at ZOS, that is business. So where is the happy medium between the minimum (keeping the lights on) and the maximum (all of the money)? Saying they won't keep the place open without making a profit is a trusim.

Every time someone buys an item like this at the outlandish prices you refer to, it changes the landscape for everyone. We, the playerbase, are literally rewarding games companies for exploiting us... and then people are surprised when they continue to push the envelope. They have nothing to lose.

As I said, this is a general observation, and not just about ZOS and housing NPCs.

But answer me this, how many housing NPCs are available through normal (non-crown store) based gameplay?

Do you think that balance is right?

I thought your main response was only towards this npc. I don't approve of lootboxes or stupidly pricey things like houses and mounts.

Houseguests I feel are pure luxury. Kind of like cosmetics so I don't have a huge problem with them. Homes have a lot of gameplay uses which makes me hate their prices.

Tldr, yeah I agree that business wring money out of customers like they milk cows. Only thing I can say is that I don't buy into the deep end.
    Edited by Ryuvain on December 22, 2020 2:36PM
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • MajThorax
    MajThorax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_SarahHecker what happened to the original talented voice actress of Sereyne? :'(
  • Teridax941
    Teridax941
    ✭✭✭
    I admit, listening to the quest Sereyne and the Houseguests Sereyne back to back, you can tell the difference, but I don't feel like it's irritatingly obvious if you haven't heard the original for awhile (I don't typically go to the Stiches very often these days).

It's kinda like when they swapped Kermit the Frog's voice a time or two ago, sure it was weird the first few times, but you get used to it. I am curious as to why they made the change, but I don't feel like it will keep me from getting her, she's still a fav, and she's earned her spot in my house. :smile:
  • RunForTheHills
    RunForTheHills
    ✭✭✭

There is no upper limit on how much money a corporation is allowed to make. That is how capitalism works. If enough people want and buy the product, they will make money. If no one buys it, they won't. I bought the drunk kitty. I can afford it and I thought it was fun. The other house guests are not that interesting to me.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *lowers head in disappointment*

...and people wonder why ZOS doesn't invest in performance improvements.

That is completely absurd. Whether ZOS is or is not investing in performance improvements is completely unrelated. But concerning performance, while there have been some rough patches (pun intended!), overall my experience performance-wise has been good — including in dungeons, trials, battlegrounds, and Cyrodill. And I do also very much enjoy housing and love to create scenes and stories and am very happy that ZOS has improved several aspects this year, including the introduction of houseguests, even if I always wish things cost a bit less or had even more options for customization, etc.

The price point may also be from if you have ESO+ and do not buy Crown crates, there are only occasional new things to spend Crowns on and of course I do not buy all of them. And I have ESO+ for many reasons including not having to additionally purchase any DLC.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on December 22, 2020 7:58PM
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Really cute addition. Would like more interaction like mini games added in.

Nothing like playing cards with a drunk little furball, that probably has a perfectly good eye under that patch.

You can also buy it with gold for crowns.
  • Nareya726
    Nareya726
    ✭✭✭
    Without even having the original voice actor for the NPC, 2500 crowns is just way too much. I think 2500 for any house guest is too much, but when it technically isn't the character people like then it's even more unjustified.

On top of that, I have a bad feeling it means when more prominent/fan favorite characters like Adusa are released they're going to be even more expensive.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind it. Pretty sure they couldn't get Tara Strong to reprise the character, but whoever they got does a pretty good impression. My ONLY gripe is the other voice actress pronounces Tasnasi differently.

The difference isn't that egregious to me. The mannerisms are spot on and the voice is similar enough to barely be noticeable. Besides I was kinda getting tired of hearing Tara Strong ALL OVER the game. She voices a LOT of characters as well as does work for other Cartoons and Video Games. I still can't help listening to a character here and hearing Twilight Sparkle.
    Edited by ArchMikem on December 22, 2020 7:10PM
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Faiza Open a ticket and explain this. With how the house guest was not how you thought with different voice. They are often quite good at refunds.

I did yesterday! Honestly that was the fastest they've ever responded to a ticket I submitted 😅 But I'm just thankfuk they obliged.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new voice actress actually does a really good job. I'm still debating on whether I want to get this kitty or not, but I just watched a video of the houseguest speaking. I like her lines.
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can also buy it with gold for crowns.

This transfers the real money cost to another player. It doesn’t remove it. Or do you know of a way of getting crowns that requires no use of real money whatsoever?
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, just to clarify: the same voice actress, Tara Strong, was used for Sereyne both in Elsweyr and in the house guest.
    Staff Post
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, just to clarify: the same voice actress, Tara Strong, was used for Sereyne both in Elsweyr and in the house guest.

Thank you for the info! :) I had thought that Sereyne sounded the same but wondered whether it had been too long since I’d done the quest or I was missing some subtlety.

I love the little party of Alfiq I now have in Sleek Creek! :blush:
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for clarification on this! I do still hear a difference, but I'm glad to get an official answer!