Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Have you had the light on but not really on bug?

StabbityDoom
StabbityDoom
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So I've seen this bug and so have a few of my friends a bunch of times. I wanted to share this snip I caught of it on stream because many of us were asking one another if it was happening to them or if we had trouble on our end. I reported this in the bug forum, but feel free to comment if you have seen it too.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpotlessLaconicNuggetsPlanking
PC/NA
EHT zealot
streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen it before, in one of my larger houses - not the Grotto, but I imagine it's the same issue.

Some candelabras in the house weren't displaying their flames, even though they were giving off light. You can see in your clip too, that the Torch is actually casting light, it's just missing the fire animation (the area gets darker when you 'extinguish' it). This issue was fixed for me by increasing the Maximum Particle and Particle Distance settings - I suspect the game has issues loading all the effects in our houses sometimes.

Now, a similar but different issue that I still haven't found a workaround for, is the Culanda Stone bug... Those just don't give off any light at all in my Jode's Embrace, and I can't just switch them off and on again like other lights. :frowning:
  • bayushi2005
    bayushi2005
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So there is yet another issue then. While your light is on it will not emit any light. Toggling on/of does not help. The only solution I managed to get is logging out or relogging to a different character for like 15 mins or so. Changing the zone does not help. Full relog or just being offline for 15+ mins.
    It is really easy to spot with items which emit light but also have an FX attached to them (antiquity pool, ayleid well, ect.) Light will be off, but the FX will still be there ^^ I run max particle systems and suppression distance, so that's not the thingie.
    Drives me nuts!
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So there is yet another issue then. While your light is on it will not emit any light. Toggling on/of does not help. The only solution I managed to get is logging out or relogging to a different character for like 15 mins or so. Changing the zone does not help. Full relog or just being offline for 15+ mins.
    It is really easy to spot with items which emit light but also have an FX attached to them (antiquity pool, ayleid well, ect.) Light will be off, but the FX will still be there ^^ I run max particle systems and suppression distance, so that's not the thingie.
    Drives me nuts!

I also run max particle systems and suppression distance and as you can see on the video, was right on top of it near the end for the problem I was describing.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I found a better example of this for any devs interested, plus, I have heard from others that something like this is happening on lighting items that cannot toggle on and off, like varla/culanda stones (just turning off).

I don't have video of that. Here's two examples of the problem here.

https://clips.twitch.tv/MuddyCharmingTortoiseStinkyCheese
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was trying to create my dream of having a firey lair for my main in the new Daedric Shrine house, but after spending hours and millions of gold to get all my daedric braziers to light the floor on fire, half of them don't show the flames, and another fourth only show a flame for a split second. Really wish I knew about this bug before dumping all that time and gold into it. Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:
    ia3d6xhcjtai.png
    yk9urkxhtu7a.png

And here is the overall of what I'm trying to do (but ultimately with like twice as many braziers):
    akzo03stladz.png

• bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This started happening to me again, for apparently no reason. Super frustrating.

I did not change any graphics settings, I didn't change any furniture, but porting back to some older houses of mine resulted in missing effects that had always been there properly before, so I don't know what's causing the issue now all the sudden.

Does anybody know if they increased graphics requirements with Blackwood, did they change particle effects suppression distance etc? Cause it's really strange to have this start happening in houses that have been fine before.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Half of the braziers in my house have been off for like the last 6 months, even though they're lit. I just don't even really bother with housing anymore, because what's the point...
  • Yumij
    Yumij
    I seem to have this bug as well. I noticed it when revisiting some of my older builds.
    I’ve never had any problems before.

It doesn't seem to occur in all my homes, but mostly the bigger ones which tend to have a lot of lights or furnitures with light effects. Sometimes it's some selective lights, sometimes it's all of them. “Turn down” and “turn on” (or “unable” and “enable”) works for a few seconds, but then the problem continues.

I've had 3 different ways of the lights acting weird. In all cases they were "turned on" or "enabled".
    • The light looks as if it is off. No light at all.
    • The light source itself is showing light, but the environment is not lit by it.
    • For some furnishings which also have other effects, the light is off, but the other effect is showing. For the moon blessed pool for example: the light was completely off, but the shiny particles where showing.

I have no clue if this is a graphical setting, or what else might have changed.

Most of my builds are very dependent on light, so this is very annoying. Especially when a lot of lights are hidden out of view (in other furnishings or in the floor etc.) and I can not access them without taking everything apart.

I really hope there will be a solution.

• Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if any of this has to do with housing addons.

I have not seen any light issues at all in my homes (and I dont use housing addons).
    Edited by Raideen on November 21, 2021 12:04PM
  • Yumij
    Yumij
    I just checked with all my addons turned off, but still the same problem unfortunately :(
    Edited by Yumij on November 21, 2021 9:00PM
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »

I have not seen any light issues at all in my homes (and I dont use housing addons).

No, it's not an addon thing, even people without it get it. Also I know they've fixed parts of it before on their end but it's not completely fixed. I have encountered it recently.
    Edited by StabbityDoom on November 23, 2021 4:46PM
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yumij wrote: »
    I seem to have this bug as well. I noticed it when revisiting some of my older builds.
    I’ve never had any problems before.

It doesn't seem to occur in all my homes, but mostly the bigger ones which tend to have a lot of lights or furnitures with light effects. Sometimes it's some selective lights, sometimes it's all of them. “Turn down” and “turn on” (or “unable” and “enable”) works for a few seconds, but then the problem continues.

I've had 3 different ways of the lights acting weird. In all cases they were "turned on" or "enabled".
    • The light looks as if it is off. No light at all.
    • The light source itself is showing light, but the environment is not lit by it.
    • For some furnishings which also have other effects, the light is off, but the other effect is showing. For the moon blessed pool for example: the light was completely off, but the shiny particles where showing.

I have no clue if this is a graphical setting, or what else might have changed.

Most of my builds are very dependent on light, so this is very annoying. Especially when a lot of lights are hidden out of view (in other furnishings or in the floor etc.) and I can not access them without taking everything apart.

I really hope there will be a solution.

@Yumij completely agree. I've run into it in the third situation you named in Sweetwaters while on stream.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

No, it's not an addon thing, even people without it get it. Also I know they've fixed parts of it before on their end but it's not completely fixed. I have encountered it recently.

I wonder then, if it has to do with people spamming lights inside their houses. Like some of the chandeliers folks make using EST where they have like 30 light objects together is causing the issue.

The engine may not like so many light objects in a given area. I dunna.

I use light appropriately and somewhat sparingly. I try not to have too many lights overlap because rendering light and shadow in a game is pretty intensive. I also have not seen the light issue and I spend most of my time in my homes.

• StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I found it with the lights that come with Sweetwaters, with no other lights added.
    Interestingly, I've NOT seen it with EHT configured lights, but I guess because most people don't use open flame, which this tends to be.

I wonder then, if it has to do with people spamming lights inside their houses. Like some of the chandeliers folks make using EST where they have like 30 light objects together is causing the issue.

The engine may not like so many light objects in a given area. I dunna.

I use light appropriately and somewhat sparingly. I try not to have too many lights overlap because rendering light and shadow in a game is pretty intensive. I also have not seen the light issue and I spend most of my time in my homes.

Edited by StabbityDoom on November 26, 2021 7:05AM
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • LADYKiLLER
    LADYKiLLER
    ✭✭✭
    Yep all flames/candles aren't working in houses they worked in previous to this patch. Hope they fix it.