The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Suggestion for the vampire rework - an alternative to the feeding reversal

• Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    logarifmik wrote: »
    Pardon my language, but this reversed vampirism mechanic they want to implement in terms of TES sounds like a complete ***, which either requires a really good explanation or must be discarded. For now it's quite clear from the lore, that vampirism is a form of daedric curse, a sick joke of Molag Bal himself, which forces vampires to feed on those who they was before in order to keep themselves sane. It's a brilliant non-conventional fantasy trope, really, and personally I'd like to see it as a part of the ESO.

And I like OP idea. Beasts shouldn't walk among common folk without being noticed and punished for whom they are. Maybe devs even should introduce a new stage, when a hungry vampire forcibly take this new vampire lord form and should feed to become a humanoid again. Also, some sort of cosmetic disguise for bloodsuckers would be a nice touch too.

The games strain that were given comes from Lamae the First vampire who has you basically desecrate a shrine of Molag Bal Destroy it and desecrate a shrine of Arkay and destroy it. Her goal is to turn that sick joke into something that can beat him and destory him. So I would say Lamae technically succeeded if you defeated him as a vampire because that sick joke ended up really biting him in the butt so to speak. So the Joke ends up back on him basically. Which is totally a form of ironic justice if the vestige became a vampire just to use it against Molag Bal himself and show how they really really despise him.
    Given Lamae gets more powerful with each member of her bloodline according to the one npc. She could potentially alter it to work the other way around. Because of that connection to her children that makes her herself stronger. So its a two way thing basically if you want to think of it that way. Its Lamae's whims not Molags that Define the blood line we are given. That is why we are able to use it against him.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on January 24, 2020 2:30PM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Skyrim vanilla Vampirism got you attacked on sight at stage four it was bad enough I think they canned that throw it into the trash and added a loadscreen saying they are not nearly as feared or hated as the werewolf is. Plus all those that want to be stage four because of game reasons like pvp would be so not happy about such a thing possibly disliking it even more then this new change zenimax is doing if the guards attacked them on sight. I doubt Zenimax will do it. So they are going this route instead. I don't see it lore breaking or anything just adding onto existing vampire lore since there is so many strains of vampire not all of them work the same way as Skyrim or Oblivion vampires.

Here is the dawnguard loadscreen text.
    (DG) As a vampire, people may comment on your unusual appearance, but they don't ever attack you or shun you like they do the werewolf.

Just how sun-related disadvantages are easier to manage in the single-player games thanks to time skipping abilities and mechanics, justice-related disadvantages are easier to manage in ESO. NPCs in ESO are so much more vulnerable than those in Skyrim and much easier to drain from and guards won't chase you everywhere either - they can't even swim! If you have the Dark Brotherhood you can even wear the monk's robes to avoid getting detected by guards as a stage 4 vampire because it would work like you are a criminal with maximum heat.
    Oh and vampires in the new chapter would hate dropping down to stage 3 in Cyrodiil and being forced to drink another Bloody Mara if they don't want to disrupt their pvp experience and risk being 126th in queue when they go out to feed.
    The only bad side effect my suggestion has would be in the case of logging out in Cyrodiil and getting ported back into a city at stage 4, which is way less disruptive to your gameplay than the alternative especially when you don't have Bloody Mara. And besides, this exact scenario can already happen to you when you are a criminal with a high bounty and it's not an issue.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pardon my language, but this reversed vampirism mechanic they want to implement in terms of TES sounds like a complete ***, which either requires a really good explanation or must be discarded. For now it's quite clear from the lore, that vampirism is a form of daedric curse, a sick joke of Molag Bal himself, which forces vampires to feed on those who they was before in order to keep themselves sane. It's a brilliant non-conventional fantasy trope, really, and personally I'd like to see it as a part of the ESO.

And I like OP idea. Beasts shouldn't walk among common folk without being noticed and punished for whom they are. Maybe devs even should introduce a new stage, when a hungry vampire forcibly take this new vampire lord form and should feed to become a humanoid again. Also, some sort of cosmetic disguise for bloodsuckers would be a nice touch too.

Man, Im sorry to tell you but they aren't going to discard their idea because some lore-nerds on the forums dislike it when the majority of people are all down for it.

Sorry, but I think I'll take the guy's opinion who gets paid to know lore and create lore-friendly things for the game over some randos on the forum that think they apparently know better.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noxavian wrote: »

Man, Im sorry to tell you but they aren't going to discard their idea because some lore-nerds on the forums dislike it when the majority of people are all down for it.

Sorry, but I think I'll take the guy's opinion who gets paid to know lore and create lore-friendly things for the game over some randos on the forum that think they apparently know better.

There are more people playing Fornite than ESO too and yet that doesn't mean ESO should become more like Fortnite. And as you can see, there are increasingly many people showing up in favor of this proposition.
    And that the guy who gets paid to know lore knows better somehow because of that is questionable logic. Everyone at ZOS gets paid to do their job and you are telling me ZOS never did something wrong? Remember the proposed Murkmire Shield change? If it hadn't been for the community outrage it would have been implemented. That was also a decision made by a guy getting paid to make these decisions. We could go further down the rabbit hole of mistakes ZOS made, even in the lore department, even Leamon himself, but that would be derailing the thread if we start debating other issues in here.
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude, I'd like to see some proofs of this majority you are constantly talking about. Did you made a survey or something? Where are the statistics? None? Well...

Besides, majority decides nothing, only master do, as you yourself said. Loremaster in our case. Have you ever played pen and paper RPGs of any kind? Same thing. Majority opinion is irrelevant, but previously established rules are not.

If loremaster wants to introduce something opposite to what was previously established, we, so-called lore-nerds, want to see official in-deep explanation why it should be this way from the point of lore.

That's not some kind of conservative whining, but a request for self-consistent story. That's all.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The games strain that were given comes from Lamae the First vampire who has you basically desecrate a shrine of Molag Bal Destroy it and desecrate a shrine of Arkay and destroy it. Her goal is to turn that sick joke into something that can beat him and destory him. So I would say Lamae technically succeeded if you defeated him as a vampire because that sick joke ended up really biting him in the butt so to speak. So the Joke ends up back on him basically. Which is totally a form of ironic justice if the vestige became a vampire just to use it against Molag Bal himself and show how they really really despise him.
    Given Lamae gets more powerful with each member of her bloodline according to the one npc. She could potentially alter it to work the other way around. Because of that connection to her children that makes her herself stronger. So its a two way thing basically if you want to think of it that way. Its Lamae's whims not Molags that Define the blood line we are given. That is why we are able to use it against him.
    Could be, but so far loremaster said nothing on this regard. Interesting speculation, though. Thank you.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude, I'd like to see some proofs of this majority you are constantly talking about. Did you made a survey or something? Where are the statistics? None? Well...

Besides, majority decides nothing, only master do, as you yourself said. Loremaster in our case. Have you ever played pen and paper RPGs of any kind? Same thing. Majority opinion is irrelevant, but previously established rules are not.

If loremaster wants to introduce something opposite to what was previously established, we, so-called lore-nerds, want to see official in-deep explanation why it should be this way from the point of lore.

That's not some kind of conservative whining, but a request for self-consistent story. That's all.

What he said.

Also, a big reason why continuity and consistency are so important to "lore-nerds" is because a lot of us are roleplayers too. Even if we don't actively roleplay, some of us make up their own (back)stories for their characters. If something about the lore is being retconned, a big part of previously written fiction on that topic is getting invalidated.

That's also something to consider for the crowd telling us that Lawrence said "everyone can make the lore" and that this means lore can be however we want. If the loremaster contradicts things that have been then all the lore based on how it used to be suddenly becomes invalidated along with the effort that went into creating it, which is the exact opposite of what Lawrence told us how things should be.
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She could potentially alter it to work the other way around. Because of that connection to her children that makes her herself stronger. So its a two way thing basically if you want to think of it that way. Its Lamae's whims not Molags that Define the blood line we are given. That is why we are able to use it against him.

You don't know this, nor do anyone else.

The say that her children makes her stronger, are far more likely to come from the influence itself, rather than an actual marginal increase in her power, but her broods.

I also disagree with your assessment that Lamae can choose and design her bloodline as she sees it fitting, since then she wouldn't even have vampirism become vampirism, for she hates the very affliction that Molag Bal cursed her with, the one that made Arkay abandon her.

I find it to be far more likely that she is doing precisely what she is doing, in order to fuel her own vengeful plot towards both Molag Bal and Arkay, to gain any remote sense of justice for the actions that were forced upon her.

The addition of the Vampire Lord only further supports this, for why would Lamae Bal allow her children to become the very monstrous visage of Molag Bal himself. It doesn't make sense for her character to allow this, if she could design her bloodline as she wished it.

Plus, in the end, every vampire upon death is condemned to Coldharbour, and belongs to Molag Bal. Lamae isn't delusional, she knows this, so she wants herself and her brood to stay alive to spite that very idea. By all accounts of lore we have, there is no support to the claim that Molag Bal doesn't have a finger in play, nor the ultimate designer of the vampiric diseases.

Come on, he is a Daedric Prince, the very inventor of Vampirism in Elder Scrolls.

Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ShadowHvo wrote: »
    She could potentially alter it to work the other way around. Because of that connection to her children that makes her herself stronger. So its a two way thing basically if you want to think of it that way. Its Lamae's whims not Molags that Define the blood line we are given. That is why we are able to use it against him.

The say that her children makes her stronger, are far more likely to come from the influence itself, rather than an actual marginal increase in her power, but her broods.

I also disagree with your assessment that Lamae can choose and design her bloodline as she sees it fitting, since then she wouldn't even have vampirism become vampirism, for she hates the very affliction that Molag Bal cursed her with, the one that made Arkay abandon her.

I find it to be far more likely that she is doing precisely what she is doing, in order to fuel her own vengeful plot towards both Molag Bal and Arkay, to gain any remote sense of justice for the actions that were forced upon her.

The addition of the Vampire Lord only further supports this, for why would Lamae Bal allow her children to become the very monstrous visage of Molag Bal himself. It doesn't make sense for her character to allow this, if she could design her bloodline as she wished it.

Plus, in the end, every vampire upon death is condemned to Coldharbour, and belongs to Molag Bal. Lamae isn't delusional, she knows this, so she wants herself and her brood to stay alive to spite that very idea. By all accounts of lore we have, there is no support to the claim that Molag Bal doesn't have a finger in play, nor the ultimate designer of the vampiric diseases.

Come on, he is a Daedric Prince, the very inventor of Vampirism in Elder Scrolls.

Well Molag Bal can be easily countered because of the sphere of his arch rival. Hircine's Hunting thing is far harder to beat. Plus Hircine likely couldn't take the souls of werewolves, if he didn't have like a wolf soul parasite attached to the afflicted's soul reason why I know this I played the Skyrim questline and Kodak's journel mentions seeing the other leaders going to Sovengarde in a dream only to be pulled from there to the hunting grounds by a great wolf spirit the very thing we have to pull out of Kodak himself. Otherwise the lore says the daedra can trick mortal souls into their realms but that is all they can do unless they served them in life or forced them to summit which MMolag had us do so he could claim that one guys soul in Skyrim.

Also play Azuras Quest in Oblivion where you had to free her vampiric followers that got turned and she tells you they are free. Since she cares enough about them I doubt she lied about that. Lycanthropy is like a soul gem and the wolf soul attached is the soul trap. Vampirism is just a soul gem without the soul trap. If Molag bal was to claim their souls he would have to have a soul trap mechanism and since they have far more free will then lycanthropes. Its shown they don't have that.
    Maybe in some genres vampirism dooms the soul while killing the lycanthrope with a silver bullet sets them free. In Elder scrolls its works the opposite where Lycanthropes are doomed and Vampires are free once slain. Vampire is slain they are free at last. Lycanthropy they are not free and are grabbed by Hircine and taken to the Hunting grounds. That is how I personally see it.

Also don't forget that Alchemy vampirism is a thing Summerset quest makes alchemical vampirism canon. Plus the various strains altered by other princes where Lycanthropy is shown not to be altered by other princes. As if Molag Bal allowed them to have their way with it while Hircine is very protective of his creations. I doubt Molag bal cares for them unless they are interesting like that one dunmer vampire in Vvardenfell which Molag Bal eventually cured him. But in Morrowind its shown that Molag Bal himself couldn't cure his own condition had to go to another prince for that. If he couldn't cure it that means he doesn't have the type of power over it like people think he does. All he can do is create new strains through use of his own blood.

Also Molag Bal couldn't stop you from attacking him as a vampire and destroying him. Which I think Hircine would be able to do with the wolf sprite Soul Parasite thing attached to them as otherwise I doubt the werewolf lord could have been able to force other lycanthropes under her control since she did basically have the blood of Hircine which allowed her to control that aspect of their souls. Also that one quest in the Daggerfall covenant where a werewolf gal was able to use magic to control the population of the one village possibly using the wolf soul parasite to do it. So Mortals can manipulate it if they know about it. Vampires are not shown to have that vulnerability.

Just because Hircine is able to take werewolf souls does not mean Molag Bal can take vampire souls. As clearly Hircine has created a mechanism to do it with and that is the wolf spirit. Without it Hircine couldn't take their souls unless they willingly went to his realm upon death. Hes created the perfect means of collecting souls. Just because its a thing with Hircine does not make it a thing with Molag Bal who likely is jealous of it.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Kodlak's_Journal
    In my dream, I see the line of Harbingers start with Ysgramor. Each of them ascends to Sovngarde, until we come to Terrfyg, who first turned us to the ways of the beast. He tries to enter Sovngarde, but before he can even approach Tsun, he is set upon by a great wolf, who pulls him into the Hunting Grounds, where Hircine laughs with welcoming arms.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Wolf_Spirit
    A Wolf Spirit is a creature connected to werewolves. The Wolf Spirit is presumed to be the source of the power and the curse that werewolves bear. Curing lycanthropy requires throwing the head of a Glenmoril Witch into the Flame of the Harbinger in Ysgramor's Tomb in the presence of the werewolf to be cured. Doing this releases the Wolf Spirit from the werewolf's soul, which must be defeated in order to cleanse the person.

Edited by Thevampirenight on January 25, 2020 12:27AM
    PC NA
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

They also claimed to be redoing the Vampire quest, it may not even involve Lamae Bal anymore

We may be becoming Volkihar Vampires instead of whatever her clan was.
    Edited by TX12001rwb17_ESO on January 25, 2020 12:36AM
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They also claimed to be redoing the Vampire quest, it may not even involve Lamae Bal anymore

No we are not becoming Volkihar Vampires we are still getting it from Lamae. Basically I think they are going to rework the vampire tutorial to explain the mechanics and rework Lamaes Dialog. That aspect Isn't going to change. Our Vampire lord transformation is also going to be called blood scion. Which will come from Lamae herself they explained that her being the first vampire she can basically uh accounts for any type of vampiric abiltiy Might have to rewatch the livestream but Lamae will be the reason why we will be able to use the Bloodscion form. Which will be related but not the same as The Volkihar form. So no they are not cutting Lamae out and we are not becoming Volkihar vampires. We won't see much of the Volikhar in the new greymoor chapter either. They have said that as well.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on January 25, 2020 12:57AM
    PC NA
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well Molag Bal can be easily countered because of the sphere of his arch rival. Hircine's Hunting thing is far harder to beat....

Also Molag Bal couldn't stop you from attacking him as a vampire and destroying him. Which I think Hircine would be able to do with the wolf sprite Soul Parasite thing attached to them as otherwise I doubt the werewolf lord could have been able to force other lycanthropes under her control since she did basically have the blood of Hircine which allowed her to control that aspect of their souls....

Just because Hircine is able to take werewolf souls does not mean Molag Bal can take vampire souls. As clearly Hircine has created a mechanism to do it with and that is the wolf spirit. Without it Hircine couldn't take their souls unless they willingly went to his realm upon death. Hes created the perfect means of collecting souls. Just because its a thing with Hircine does not make it a thing with Molag Bal who likely is jealous of it.

All of this is a theory.

There is no reason why Molag Bal, the Daedric Prince of Domination wouldn't anchor those afflicted by the disease of his design, to his realm of Coldharbour.

Logically, it doesn't make sense why Hircine should be capable, but Molag Bal is not. They're both Daedric Princes of different Spheres, and yet Molag Bal's sphere is the one that far more demands the absolute conquest of those beneath him.

I don't believe your statement either, that Lycanthropes are somehow controlled by Hircine, which is something I've never seen any factual indication of. They lose control to their beasts, sure, but claiming that Hircine holds that control and that Lycanthropes are unable to oppose him? I don't see any indication of that. The player can even actively disobey him in ESO and Skyrim. But this is all a massive off-topic for this post, so I will refrain from commenting further on it.

EDIT: Though I must admit, after quickly rereading the uesp page about Azura's quest in Oblivion, that it indeed is quite an indication. Though it could also be explained that Azura snatches their souls in their transit to Coldharbour, as Daedric Princes have done prior.

It's food for thought, for sure. But again, guess work on our part, since we cannot do much more as mere fans.

They already confirmed that is not the case. They're just retconing Noxiphilic sanguivoria as it was, and bastardizing it to be a Volkihar ripoff.

I'm willing to bet 1mil that we'll still have Lamae Bal involved in the Vampire Quest / Tutorial. Up for a little gamble? =P
    Edited by ShadowHvo on January 25, 2020 2:41AM
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It does still involve Lamae I think. I am not 100% sure anymore but I think in his most recent interview Rich said that they changed the vampire tutorial and Lamae explains how feeding works or something. Also, not using Lamae would be selling themselves short. She is a character of significance and taking just any lesser vampire for this instead just wouldn't do.

Also, we will definitely not become Volkihar vampires as that would be even worse in terms of messing with the canon. The Volkihar's special vampiric power is being able to phase through ice as if it was air, not becoming stronger when feeding.
    Edited by Ratzkifal on January 25, 2020 2:43AM
  • Slimebrow
    Slimebrow
    ✭✭✭
    While we are at it. Can Vampires have claws (for non Khajiit and Argonian races) and fangs please?
    https://imgur.com/a/vDQ93ae
    Edited by Slimebrow on January 26, 2020 11:34AM
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flubbles wrote: »
    While we are at it. Can Vampires have claws (for non Khajiit and Argonian races) and fangs please?

Yes please!
    I think the claws will actually be used in the one of the new feeding animation. At least that's what it sounded like when they talked about it during the reveal. The fangs and claws could also have different degrees of visibility depending on the stage, but that might be too much to ask. Unfortunately the latest statement was that they are not changing anything about the vampire's appearance, which is a shame, because we can do better.

And to stay on topic, if your body changes when you progress through the stages, it makes more sense to adapt towards being able to draw blood more easily the longer you've gone without blood than it does to have your body revert back to more human features, which makes drawing blood only harder for yourself.
  • Slimebrow
    Slimebrow
    ✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »

Yes please!
    I think the claws will actually be used in the one of the new feeding animation. At least that's what it sounded like when they talked about it during the reveal. The fangs and claws could also have different degrees of visibility depending on the stage, but that might be too much to ask. Unfortunately the latest statement was that they are not changing anything about the vampire's appearance, which is a shame, because we can do better.

And to stay on topic, if your body changes when you progress through the stages, it makes more sense to adapt towards being able to draw blood more easily the longer you've gone without blood than it does to have your body revert back to more human features, which makes drawing blood only harder for yourself.

That does sound good and Yeah its such a minor visual they can use the Khajiit or Argonian claws for them, instead maybe the claws get more darker with each stage.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes please!

I do support the idea giving Vampires claws.

Claws like Barnabas Collins from the Dark Shadow Movie. They would look something like from the Movie.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJZQ7On07YM

That would be epic if they could do that, Hopfully not only adding fangs (I really hope they will be getting fangs) but also the claws to and they could make them look more like the Dark Shadows Movie vampire look. Since the paleness seems to be more like the vampires in the movie anyways and It would look nice and also hopefully they are coming up with a gentlemen with a cane personality and that would go great with it.

3najjz.jpg
    Edited by Thevampirenight on January 26, 2020 10:37PM
    PC NA
  • Slimebrow
    Slimebrow
    ✭✭✭

Yes please!
    I think the claws will actually be used in the one of the new feeding animation. At least that's what it sounded like when they talked about it during the reveal.

Yeah.... I think the claw attack they talked about sounds like it might end up being a part of the Vampire Lord Transformation skill Im not sure they are going to change physical appearance.
  • Kombinator
    Kombinator
    ✭✭✭
    It would be cool if they added something were vampires are also unable to eat cooked food but can only eat raw meats to gain minor provisions buff. Maybe feeding also can grant a temp better provisions buff?

Vampires in Elder scrolls can eat normal food and drink. Though they really don't benefit from really being sated from it. But can still eat it. Wouldn't make sense that they couldn't gain from the food buffs and passives. Also why would they be able to eat raw meat but can't enjoy cooked food?

Huh didn't know that... I thought it would be a cool detail to have rather than them eating like normal cooked food and gaining benefits instead gain those benefits by feeding on people. As for raw food I thought it would be a better option considering they don't gain any benefits from eating cooked food.

Well they could move the food passive to the vampire skill tree. As the vampire's "food" is blood. Though for balance reason it would be better to keep the current way. Purely for gameplay reasons.

As for OP. I agree, that they should keep the TES lore style. Vampires become more powerful as they get thirsty, but lose their humanity in return. They could add extra effect, and maybe extra stage.

Stage 4: guards attacks you on sight, and most NPC will send you away, but mist form grants invisibility.

Stage 5: you no longer yourself. The next time you nearby to any humanoid NPC you jump to feed on them, and gain bounty, if target is like that. This feeding kills any killable normal NPC.
    Edited by Kombinator on January 30, 2020 11:48AM
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes please!
    I think the claws will actually be used in the one of the new feeding animation. At least that's what it sounded like when they talked about it during the reveal.

Yeah.... I think the claw attack they talked about sounds like it might end up being a part of the Vampire Lord Transformation skill Im not sure they are going to change physical appearance.

Well they said they won't change the appearance of vampirism, but I don't think that is stopping them from our characters using their hands to claw their prey open during the feeding animation.
    They did say it would be more gore-y.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kombinator wrote: »
    It would be cool if they added something were vampires are also unable to eat cooked food but can only eat raw meats to gain minor provisions buff. Maybe feeding also can grant a temp better provisions buff?

Vampires in Elder scrolls can eat normal food and drink. Though they really don't benefit from really being sated from it. But can still eat it. Wouldn't make sense that they couldn't gain from the food buffs and passives. Also why would they be able to eat raw meat but can't enjoy cooked food?

Huh didn't know that... I thought it would be a cool detail to have rather than them eating like normal cooked food and gaining benefits instead gain those benefits by feeding on people. As for raw food I thought it would be a better option considering they don't gain any benefits from eating cooked food.

Well they could move the food passive to the vampire skill tree. As the vampire's "food" is blood. Though for balance reason it would be better to keep the current way. Purely for gameplay reasons.

As for OP. I agree, that they should keep the TES lore style. Vampires become more powerful as they get thirsty, but lose their humanity in return. They could add extra effect, and maybe extra stage.

Stage 4: guards attacks you on sight, and most NPC will send you away, but mist form grants invisibility.

Stage 5: you no longer yourself. The next time you nearby to any humanoid NPC you jump to feed on them, and gain bounty, if target is like that. This feeding kills any killable normal NPC.

That stage 5 is an interesting suggestion. Kind of a forced reset.
    In terms of nomenclature it probably shouldn't be called stage 5 though because the vampirism disease is described in 4 stages. So it would probably be 6 hours into stage 4 that you can't control your hunger anymore and attack the next killable humanoid npc no matter where that is.

I do think that this wouldn't feel all that great in terms of player agency though, just because of the loss of control and the forced removal of your stage 4 if you are in it too long. If we just have the guards come after you, then everyone can decide for themselves how long they want to stay in stage 4 before feeding and being allowed back into civilization rather than giving you only 6 hours. Even if this would be the most accurate portrayal of vampirism in TES.
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    It sound like there is a dearth of information about the big picture.. Lots of assumptions being made.

As for consistency with the single player TES games, this is an MMORPG and as such much of what we had in the single player games just does not work. Think about that for a moment. First bounty I got in Skyrim I had the guards pouring in through the doors. I did not have to go out of the building, they came for me. One of many things that works differently in ESO than the older games.

Sure, we can discuss this all we want but there is little reason for Zos to pay attention until we can begin having an informed discussion. Maybe they should have waited to tell us they were making any changes to this skill line because of all the speculation.

I'd disagree with that statement, there is lots of information here on what people at least don't want, out of the revamp. Neither would I say it's fair to downplay a discussion and call what people have to say, as inconsequential. We all have ideas on what we would like and not like, regardless of interpretation, we project ourselves to be heard.

It's certainly better than precontemplating a change.
    So the consensus is, a change of some sort is welcomed.

I think having this discussion will paint a better picture of what that should look like.
    Do you disagree?
    Edited by SirMewser on January 30, 2020 4:54PM
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Frankly once it's announced, that's when the time for bargaining and suggestions is over. It's done until the next overhaul.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Slimebrow
    Slimebrow
    ✭✭✭

Yes please!

Well they said they won't change the appearance of vampirism, but I don't think that is stopping them from our characters using their hands to claw their prey open during the feeding animation.
    They did say it would be more gore-y.

I hope they are willing to add at them it will make a big difference.
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what some of us feared

Emphasis on "some". General consensus is the overwhelming majority is in favor of the upcoming change. You and that other guy who kept his thread alive for days won't change any of that.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what some of us feared

Emphasis on "some". General consensus is the overwhelming majority is in favor of the upcoming change. You and that other guy who kept his thread alive for days won't change any of that.

Oh. Good that you've came here to tell me. I wasn't aware the only authority on the matter has decided that general consensus is backed by an overwhelming majority in favor of the changes. Also, thank you for being so constructive about the suggestion and giving your feedback instead of just trying to shout opposing opinions down without adding anything to the conversation!

I am counting at least 9 people in this thread who like the way it used to work and so far I have not seen good arguments for the reversal that my suggestion doesn't also achieve. The best arguments so far were different interpretations of the lore allowing this to be somewhat in line with what we had, but nobody actually gave me a good reason why the reversal is superior to how it used to be or why changing a long standing system now is appropriate when the two systems are at best equal.
  • zShepplin
    zShepplin
    ✭✭✭
    Get rid of feeding requirements, they are annoying. The only reason most people are vampires is for the sustain passive traits. The last thing anyone wants to have to deal with is worrying about level because they haven't fed in a while.

If zos moved the sustain passive, or even outright fixed buffed sustain, most people would drop vamp and the only ones left would be the erp weirdos.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zShepplin wrote: »
    Get rid of feeding requirements, they are annoying. The only reason most people are vampires is for the sustain passive traits. The last thing anyone wants to have to deal with is worrying about level because they haven't fed in a while.

If zos moved the sustain passive, or even outright fixed buffed sustain, most people would drop vamp and the only ones left would be the erp weirdos.

@zShepplin I think that is the point of the entire update. ZOS doesn't seem to want people to just sleep on their passives. Vampirism shouldn't be something that's always a must-have with virtually no downsides. It should be a commitment.

I do agree with their reasoning, but I am against that feeding reversal because
    A: it's not in line with previous lore, and
    B: you'd have time working against you instead of for you in terms of power.

I think B especially is going to be important during long sessions in Cyrodiil when there are 132 people in queue and you don't want to have to queue up again or use a Bloody Mara just because you dropped a stage.
    Edited by Ratzkifal on January 31, 2020 3:15PM