The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

1 Year of tracking writ drops and refining rates

tmbrinks
tmbrinks
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
1 year ago tomorrow, I started collecting data about the drop rates of the rewards from writs, as well as the results from refining materials to hopefully build a spreadsheet with some concrete, hard data to help determine what the drop rates are for those activities.

I shared those in this thread
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/459690/tracking-daily-writ-reward-drop-rates-refining-rates

And the data has been posted publicly here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yQDUjYNQVsIFl0ktkbkSlfYPkzP6pgCOTMQ-qCuzfaI
for all to see/use/etc.

Thanks to those that have asked questions, used the spreadsheet, I've refined it over the year, adding in things as they changed (grain drops from jewelry writs for example).

Just wanted to share some statistics from the year for what I've done.

Writs:
92,598 total writs on the year.

Gold Improvement Materials Received:
3,917 Tempering Alloy
3,977 Dreugh Wax
3,882 Kuta
3,961 Rosin
1,579 Chromium Grains (Alt account was leveled for much of the year, hence the lower amount, also did not have access to Summerset until Elsweyr launched)

These alone have an approximate value of 72,841,000 gold based on current MM prices on PC/NA

Master Writs Received:
2,035 Alchemy
1,214 Blacksmithing
1,143 Clothing
1,908 Enchanting
510 Provisioning
1,292 Woodworking
937 Jewelry
Drop rate varies quite a bit based on knowledge, but upper bound seems to be about 15% when all traits are learned in Alchemy/Enchanting.

Surveys Received
1,695 Alchemy
1,751 Blacksmithing
1,766 Clothing
1,673 Enchanting
1,740 Woodworking
1,179 Jewelry
Pretty consistent drop rate between 12.1% and 12.7% for these.

Since Jewelry Crafting Writs started
3,600 Jewelry Writs done
Received
Terne: 562 Grains; 9 Platings
Iridium: 1310 Grains; 10 Platings
Zircon: 1037 Grains; 8 Platings
Chromium: 861 Grains; 4 Platings

Refined Materials
1,069,480 total raw materials refined over the year.

Improvement materials Received
16,231 Green
13,423 Blue
7,850 Purple
5,252 Gold
These were pretty consistent as a whole with the expected (1.5%, 1.25%, 0.75% and 0.5% drop rate) (They were 1.52%, 1.26%, 0.73% and 0.49% respectively)

Hopefully this tracking has been useful for some of you.

Happy Holidays to all!
Edited by tmbrinks on December 24, 2019 1:39AM
Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
61,215 achievement points
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing! Your data was especially useful when ZOS rolled out multicrafting and crafters wanted to know if the refining rate had changed at all. You've got such a large sample size that it was easy to see that the refining rate was still the same.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you for doing Gods work!
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG! so many writs done! You are a machine! :D
    Thanks a lot for sharing the data!
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeoman’s work, good sir.

Here’s an awesome for you ...
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's... an average of 36 characters per day. :o For a whole bloody year.

I did 32 characters per day during the anniversary event, and I was about to gouge my eyes out after just one week of that...
    Edited by code65536 on December 24, 2019 6:25AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Impressive work, Thanks for sharing!
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is absolutely invaluable. The insight you’ve shared throughout the year has served as personal motivation for me to build out to 10 total characters of my own (from 3 a year ago!). I love trading and playing merchant, but it would be impossible without the engine of crafting to drive it all.
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • Pinoh
    Pinoh
    ✭✭✭
    bump, great work collecting the data.
    come visit my slide at my enchanted snow globe
  • ms_sophysticated
    What all did U do again to get master writs to possibly drop for you?
    Console/SERVER:PS4/NA
    CHARACTER INFO:
    mssophysticated-khajit-Stamina-Nightbliade
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What all did U do again to get master writs to possibly drop for you?

Alchemy - number of reagents you've learned all 4 traits on
    Enchanting - number of runes translated
    Provisioning - number of purple and gold recipes known
    Jewelry - number of traits researched
    Woodworking/Clothing/Blacksmithing - Number of purple motifs fully known + trait knowledge (to a lesser degree)

Daily writs must be done at max level to have any chance at a master writ.

The amount of the writ vouchers in a writ is random (within its own loot table) and does not depend on any of the above knowledge.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • SpaPooP
    SpaPooP
    ✭✭
    Was the Max refine vs Small batch refine results also verified?

I have another batch of 1000's to refine if we are still collecting for that?

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are tabs at the bottom that show the drop rates from both pre-Multicraft (when you had to do them 10 units at a time) and post-Multicraft (when you could do up to 10000 at once).

There is no statistical difference between the two methods.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow good work mate. If you could evaluate the droprate of the MA flamestaff with a similar amount of numbers, that would be verry much apreciated ;)
  • SpaPooP
    SpaPooP
    ✭✭
    Just saw this when the U25 PTS notes posted:
    Fixed an issue where deconstructing multiple items at a time provided less inspiration than deconstructing them one at a time.

Did you do any work on this aspect along with your other data?

I thought I might have seen a thread but not sure.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SpaPooP wrote: »
    Fixed an issue where deconstructing multiple items at a time provided less inspiration than deconstructing them one at a time.

I didn't.

But another crafter here @BenevolentBowd did!

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/499744/theorycrafting-mass-deconstruction-and-leveling#latest
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    SpaPooP wrote: »

I didn't.

But another crafter here @BenevolentBowd did!

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/499744/theorycrafting-mass-deconstruction-and-leveling#latest

Note: Looks like Mass Deconstruction and leveling will be fixed with Harrowstorm.
    "Fixed an issue where deconstructing multiple items at a time provided less inspiration than deconstructing them one at a time. "
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 year ago tomorrow, I started collecting data about the drop rates of the rewards from writs, as well as the results from refining materials to hopefully build a spreadsheet with some concrete, hard data to help determine what the drop rates are for those activities.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/459690/tracking-daily-writ-reward-drop-rates-refining-rates

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yQDUjYNQVsIFl0ktkbkSlfYPkzP6pgCOTMQ-qCuzfaI
    for all to see/use/etc.

Thanks to those that have asked questions, used the spreadsheet, I've refined it over the year, adding in things as they changed (grain drops from jewelry writs for example).

Writs:

3,917 Tempering Alloy
    3,977 Dreugh Wax
    3,882 Kuta
    3,961 Rosin
    1,579 Chromium Grains (Alt account was leveled for much of the year, hence the lower amount, also did not have access to Summerset until Elsweyr launched)

These alone have an approximate value of 72,841,000 gold based on current MM prices on PC/NA

Master Writs Received:
    2,035 Alchemy
    1,214 Blacksmithing
    1,143 Clothing
    1,908 Enchanting
    510 Provisioning
    1,292 Woodworking
    937 Jewelry
    Drop rate varies quite a bit based on knowledge, but upper bound seems to be about 15% when all traits are learned in Alchemy/Enchanting.

Surveys Received
    1,695 Alchemy
    1,751 Blacksmithing
    1,766 Clothing
    1,673 Enchanting
    1,740 Woodworking
    1,179 Jewelry

3,600 Jewelry Writs done
    Received

Refined Materials

16,231 Green
    13,423 Blue
    7,850 Purple
    5,252 Gold
    These were pretty consistent as a whole with the expected (1.5%, 1.25%, 0.75% and 0.5% drop rate) (They were 1.52%, 1.26%, 0.73% and 0.49% respectively)

Happy Holidays to all!

This is on all characters right?
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are tabs at the bottom that show the drop rates from both pre-Multicraft (when you had to do them 10 units at a time) and post-Multicraft (when you could do up to 10000 at once).

There is no statistical difference between the two methods.

Buuuut my fefes tell me different.

@Karmanorway did you really need to quote the whole op to ask a 6 word question?
    Edited by OG_Kaveman on January 26, 2020 2:27AM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

for all to see/use/etc.

Writs:

3,917 Tempering Alloy
    3,977 Dreugh Wax
    3,882 Kuta
    3,961 Rosin

Master Writs Received:
    2,035 Alchemy
    1,214 Blacksmithing
    1,143 Clothing
    1,908 Enchanting
    510 Provisioning
    1,292 Woodworking
    937 Jewelry

Surveys Received
    1,695 Alchemy
    1,751 Blacksmithing
    1,766 Clothing
    1,673 Enchanting
    1,740 Woodworking
    1,179 Jewelry

3,600 Jewelry Writs done
    Received

Refined Materials

16,231 Green
    13,423 Blue
    7,850 Purple
    5,252 Gold

Happy Holidays to all!

This is on all characters right?

Yes, 36 characters
  • DGNT
    DGNT
    Soul Shriven
    Is there any way I can reach out to you and also, have you considered breaking down data from UESP's addon to do these breakdowns in more mass?

Thanks!
  • xshatox
    xshatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice. I've been looking for this kind of information.
    Thanks OP.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DGNT wrote: »
    Is there any way I can reach out to you and also, have you considered breaking down data from UESP's addon to do these breakdowns in more mass?

Thanks!

You can always reach out to me here in a DM. Or in-game on PC, same username. I have accounts on both NA and EU. I have Discord and all that, but not going to put that out for everybody here in the forums :smile:

I haven't even really looked at the UESP add-on to see what kind of data was in there (I just pulled it up on ESOUI to check). It's always nice to have more data to look at, so I may give it a look when I have more time.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3,600 Jewelry Writs done
    Received

Wow that is amazing! I just came back and is this something new that you get chromium grains from doing master jewelry writs? Only gold master writs or blue and purple? I've got TONS of purple in the bank from before chromium changes,.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3,600 Jewelry Writs done
    Received

Wow that is amazing! I just came back and is this something new that you get chromium grains from doing master jewelry writs? Only gold master writs or blue and purple? I've got TONS of purple in the bank from before chromium changes,.

These are the daily jewelry crafting writs. They changed it with one of the DLC patches that max level jewelry writs will return a guaranteed grain, sometimes double grains, and rarely a full plating.

The drop rates appear to be about 10-15% for a double drop, and about 1% for a full plating.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3,600 Jewelry Writs done
    Received

These are the daily jewelry crafting writs. They changed it with one of the DLC patches that max level jewelry writs will return a guaranteed grain, sometimes double grains, and rarely a full plating.

The drop rates appear to be about 10-15% for a double drop, and about 1% for a full plating.

Oh cool thanks, does it matter what color of master writs for the chromium? I did notice I'm now getting grains in the daily writs which is nice.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3,600 Jewelry Writs done
    Received

Oh cool thanks, does it matter what color of master writs for the chromium? I did notice I'm now getting grains in the daily writs which is nice.

This has nothing to do with master writs. Those award you vouchers. This is just about the daily crafting writs.
  • butterrum222
    butterrum222
    ✭✭✭
    Nice
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This has nothing to do with master writs. Those award you vouchers. This is just about the daily crafting writs.

Oh thanks, I just came back about a month ago and had forgotten a lot of the terminology. This is a great post! What is amazing that with 92,598 total writs on the year that's 25 per day on average. You've just got to hand it to the OP to keep track of all that much less actually do all those writs. I do them on two toons and that's enough for me!
    Edited by Veinblood1965 on February 20, 2020 5:15PM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grains from daily writs do depend on the crafting rank, which means that you get more chromium that the other levels when doing only the top-rank writs. I keep running out of zircon, rather than having any problem with chromium. That's not an issue if you only want to gold out drops, but quite a pain for doing the Master Writs.