Official Discussion Thread for "ESO's Performance Improvements Plan"

• lordrichter
    lordrichter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With Update 25 or Update 26 possibly will we see any standardization in reset timers?
    Currently Fence resets at 10 PM EST
    With Writs and other dailies resetting at 4 AM PST.
    And a few other odd resets like Dungeon Finder triggers 20 hours after the previous first random dungeon has been ran.

It'd be nice to see all these reset timers just happen at the exact same time everyday so that whenever we ask ourselves "I wonder what dailies I can do right now" we aren't playing the guessing game of is it X time yet for X activity.

While it is a little confusing, I think it is also deliberate. There may be some job on the server that has to run, and trying to do all of that in the same minute would probably be less than desirable.
    PC North America since March 2014
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say NO to Crown Crates! You should be able to buy directly. Better yet, cosmetics should be in-game rewards!
    I collect free, unopened, virgin Crown Crates! 331, so far!

• daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    With Update 25 or Update 26 possibly will we see any standardization in reset timers?
    And a few other odd resets like Dungeon Finder triggers 20 hours after the previous first random dungeon has been ran.

It'd be nice to see all these reset timers just happen at the exact same time everyday so that whenever we ask ourselves "I wonder what dailies I can do right now" we aren't playing the guessing game of is it X time yet for X activity.

While it is a little confusing, I think it is also deliberate. There may be some job on the server that has to run, and trying to do all of that in the same minute would probably be less than desirable.

If that's the case, it would be a simple task to communicate it to the players. I suspect it is deliberate, but for different reasons, namely to force multiple daily logins and inflate those engagement numbers.
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »

If that's the case, it would be a simple task to communicate it to the players. I suspect it is deliberate, but for different reasons, namely to force multiple daily logins and inflate those engagement numbers.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    PC NA, PC EU
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

I don't presume malice. I suspect it because ZOS have never responded to numerous threads and polls that were made regarding this issue, in particular after the start of back-to-back events starting and/or ending on maintenance days. They've never defended their system, nor have they rejected the proposals for changing it. If there were valid technical reasons to keep different timers, a reasonable company would have explained them and killed the discussion right then and there.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um.
    Q1 2020: Update 25

o Patching overhaul
    - Work is ongoing and on track with internal bug fixing and asset clean-up as the focus.
    o Faster loading fixtures and characters
    - Work is ongoing and on track – no new major updates at this time.
    o Behind-the-scenes combat ability improvements phase 2
    o Frame rate improvements part 1
    - Effects manager work is in progress and on track.
    - We have identified some multi-threading work that is needed, and that is now in progress. This work will allow more game systems (specifically the fixture update process and renderer for this round) to utilize multiple cores, improving overall performance on the game client.
    o Server optimization & stability
    - This work has moved out to Update 26 (see below)

Q2 2020: Update 26

o Account Database “Cold Storage”
    - This work is not yet started. Transfer system work (noted above) needs to be completed before we start this. We still believe this work will be completed in time for Update 26.
    o Server optimization & stability
    - Pets – We are going to rewrite how pets are handled to be more performant (work better, more efficiently, and take up less overhead/resources on the server.)
    - Player character loading – We will make the player character loading process multi-threaded on the server to improve performance
    o Frame rate improvements phase 2
    o Additional bug fixes and other updates

Transfer system?

What I think they mean by a “Transfer System” is the archiving and transfer of unused accounts to a cold storage or archiving server. Not 100% certain, but it makes sense :)

• IndorilArwynLlethran
    Would be nice if they stopped recoloring pixels each update and worked only on performance.
    There's a simple fact - the dear precious crown store is inaccessible too when the rest of the game is inaccessible. Somehow ZOS still didn't get it.
  • ACamaroGuy
    For Q2 Cold Storage, before that rolls out can you communicate the cut off dates for "inactive" accounts and how long it takes for an account to become "inactive"?

The length of time for an account to be considered "inactive" is still being discussed, but we will let you know prior to this happening what the cut off is.

Remember, we may have those in the Armed Services playing this game. The time they are gone may vary. You should be careful on what that cutoff time should be.
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭
    Please test your game on Xbox. The fix for the memory leak made the game stutter after an hour of play. (It feels like the FPS decrease to single digits) - The memory leak is even worse now!!!
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ACamaroGuy wrote: »
    For Q2 Cold Storage, before that rolls out can you communicate the cut off dates for "inactive" accounts and how long it takes for an account to become "inactive"?

The length of time for an account to be considered "inactive" is still being discussed, but we will let you know prior to this happening what the cut off is.

Remember, we may have those in the Armed Services playing this game. The time they are gone may vary. You should be careful on what that cutoff time should be.

In that case (and similar ones), the first login after a prolonged absence will take a few minutes (disclaimer: according to ZOS' plan; reality may differ). I don't think this will be an issue.
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    Hey all, the November update is live and you can read it here: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56681
    Staff Post
  • lordrichter
    lordrichter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, the November update is live and you can read it here: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56681

Thanks, @ZOS_SarahHecker

This includes the section:
    Account Database “Cold Storage”

This work is not yet started. Transfer system work (noted above) and additional Looking for Group system work needs to be completed before we start this. As such, this has been shifted out to Q3 2020 (Update 27).

What is meant by "Transfer system work (noted above)"? It seems like there is something missing (above).

Edit: Also, wanted to know if the NPC pathing was still on the white board for Update 26
    The NPC and monster “pathing” system will be overhauled to result in fewer movement bugs
    Edited by lordrichter on November 27, 2019 3:22PM
    PC North America since March 2014
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say NO to Crown Crates! You should be able to buy directly. Better yet, cosmetics should be in-game rewards!
    I collect free, unopened, virgin Crown Crates! 331, so far!