How many people with lag and stutter are not using a hdmi 2.0 cable or maybe have a bad cable?

Lady_Linux
Lady_Linux
✭✭✭✭✭
See i have to ask because i upgraded to a 4k tv but i dont have an hdmi 2.0 cable (yet) and the one i do have i am only getting a refresh rate of 30 hrtz not the 60 hrtz that a 2.0 cable would give me at 4k. the difference in the refresh rate i think would matter with the smoothness of the scene changes as i move around in the game and it comes off like lag and stutter and a feeeling of drunkenness and is awful. And since i am sure i dont have a 2.0 hdmi cable capable of 18Gbps (well pretty sure and i have some on the way) and i know how bad things can be with poor quality ethernet cables that seem to go bad for no reason, it seems i have to ask.
Edited by Lady_Linux on November 15, 2019 8:53PM
I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too

How many people with lag and stutter are not using a hdmi 2.0 cable or maybe have a bad cable? 89 votes

I don't know if i have a bad cable, how do i test for that?
11%
GilvothLarianaBobby_V_RockitKonstant_Tel_Necrisphileunderx2sintetizzatoreWildRaptorXStarlockBeamsForDemaciaLoneStar2911 10 votes
I'm sure my cable isn't 2.0
8%
freespiritfossoyerPaganiniFischblutOrjixValknerAWinterWolfLady_Linux 8 votes
Yah i have a bad cable.
0%
No, i'm sure my cable is hdmi 2.0 and that it's good because i tested it.
14%
Nemesis7884DTStormfoxlagrueKr3doSpiderKnightGlorphNoldorinTragedyOANordic__KnightsSylvermynxKaartinenstating_silentGrianasterichrightt 13 votes
wut, wut, wut?
65%
daryl.rasmusenb14_ESOixieAlienSlofKnootewootVarisVarisphaneub17_ESOkojouNaftalSheridanStreegaHaenksirstonmeekeyceeweg0pod88kkLadyNalcaryaSinolaiNyladreassusmitdsmethod__01 58 votes
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I've seen everything. You are actually trying to blame the game's atrocious performance on HDMI cables.
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I've seen everything. You are actually trying to blame the game's atrocious performance on HDMI cables.

Blame? No. But it is worth looking at. Not having the correct cable or having a bad cable can have a huge impact on performance...
    Edited by Lady_Linux on November 15, 2019 7:47PM
    I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im using displayport and it still sucks. Was using a DVI cable prior to that with the same results.
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Output lag" as we all know :D:D:joy:
    Options
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dual-link DVi

Blame the correct party!
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agree.gif

biggrin.gifidea.gifunsure.gifscrewy.gifWTF.gif

Options
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    OP are you on a console or pc? Because if your on pc you probably should be using a display port connection and not hdmi 2.0
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP are you on a console or pc? Because if your on pc you probably should be using a display port connection and not hdmi 2.0

OK. so if i use the display port on my graphics card but i only have hdmi on my tv how would i then connect it? If i were to use an adapter, wouldnt that just negate the value of using the display port?

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lady_Linux wrote: »

OK. so if i use the display port on my graphics card but i only have hdmi on my tv how would i then connect it? If i were to use an adapter, wouldnt that just negate the value of using the display port?

you can buy cables that do this, i have one for my main screen and use standard HDMI for my 2nd
    929579-871577-800.jpg
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

you can buy cables that do this, i have one for my main screen and use standard HDMI for my 2nd
    929579-871577-800.jpg

OK! And it wont negate the value of having a display port that is going into hdmi?

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Heatnix90
    Heatnix90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iWKad22.jpg
    Options
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What does studder mean?
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

929579-871577-800.jpg

Well now.. that's funny. I found the first 10 or so cables on amazon that offer dp to hdmi only offer resolutions up to 1080p or the ones that do offer 4k only offer 30 htz but the hdmi cables i ordered offer 4k at 60htz
    Edited by Lady_Linux on November 15, 2019 8:09PM

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There might be any number of factors at work. I don't know whether the type of video cable might be a legitimate factor, but the OP was wondering whether it might be, not stating that she thinks it's The Reason.

All I can say is, the game consistently runs much, much better on my new computer than it did on my old one.

However, that might be all or partly due to improvements that ZOS made several weeks ago.

Also, I haven't been to Cyrodiil lately, and I've never played Battlegrounds, so for all I know I might experience a major lag-fest if I were to try either of those on my new computer.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    *Stutter
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neoealth wrote: »
    What does studder mean?

it means the same as stutter. if you had ever studdered you would know this!

:D:D:D

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    someone lease post a link to a dp to hdmi cable that offers in its item description a 4k resolution of 60 hrtz or better because i cant find one! BUT the hdmi 2.0 cable i ordered does offer 60 hrtz.

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    could not find on amazon after 5 pages of looking, any dp to hdmi cable that offered 60 hrtz or better resolution for 4k.

EVERY 4k dp to hdmi cable i found was 30 hrtz

i did find a nice 8k dp cable for 20$ that offers 8k at 60, 4k at 144, and 2k at 165 hrtz.

but nothing for hdmi.
    Edited by Lady_Linux on November 15, 2019 8:24PM

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    wut, wut, wut?

Blame? No. But it is worth looking at. Not having the correct cable or having a bad cable can have a huge impact on performance...

There is a very easy way to understand if the problem is on your end ; Play something else and see if you still get stuttering.
    Options
  • Ilision
    Ilision
    ✭✭✭
    Try turning on your PC...
    Options
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See i have to ask because i upgraded to a 4k tv but i dont have an hdmi 2.0 cable (yet) and the one i do have i am only getting a refresh rate of 30 hrtz not the 60 hrtz that a 2.0 cable would give me at 4k. the difference in the refresh rate i think would matter with the smoothness of the scene changes as i move around in the game and it comes off like lag and studder and a feeeling of drunkenness and is awful. And since i am sure i dont have a 2.0 hdmi cable capable of 18Gbps (well pretty sure and i have some on the way) and i know how bad things can be with poor quality ethernet cables that seem to go bad for no reason, it seems i have to ask.

While your idea is somewhat insane(sorry it is) I have to mention that I once "fixed" a friend's PC when they were complaining their "top of the line" monitor didn't do 120hz.

They had a DVI-A connector plugged into a DVI-D port.

So yeah.. some people with lacking technical knowledge might be hit by this.. but most won't.
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And see i took your wo

There is a very easy way to understand if the problem is on your end ; Play something else and see if you still get stuttering.

i have looked at the specs for the cable i am using and it clearly doesnt support 4k at 60hrtz but only 30 hrtz so i KNOW this is a factor.

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

929579-871577-800.jpg

NOW see i took your word for it and canceled my delivery for my hdmi 2.0 cables on your word that i should use a dp to hdmi cable but then couldnt find a dp to hdmi cable that was as capabale of the hdmi 2.0 cable that i had ordered

AND i now have to wait three days to reorder the hdmi cable i cancelled. Because there is no dp to hdmi cable on amazon that i could find that would be better suited for me than the hdmi cable i had selected that does 4k at 60 hrtz.

AND since i couldnt find a dp to hdmi cable capable of 60 hrtz on amazon, i have to wonder if your dp to hdmi cable is running your 4k at 30 hrtz and impacting your performance.

see that? And for how may other people is this also true? a factor?
    Edited by Lady_Linux on November 15, 2019 8:33PM

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does studder mean?

It means OP can't speel.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily, because the "something else" might be designed for computers with lower specs.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does studder mean?

It's a kind of juddering stutter. Maybe. Or is it a stuttering judder?
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

Not necessarily, because the "something else" might be designed for computers with lower specs.

my xrandr report on linux clearly shows my 4k at 30 hrtz and since my tv is hdmi 2.0 and so is my graphics card, the only factor that could be reducing my performance to 30 hrtz is my current hdmi cable

xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3840 x 2160, maximum 16384 x 16384
    DisplayPort-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DisplayPort-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DisplayPort-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    HDMI-A-0 connected 3840x2160+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 708mm x 398mm
    3840x2160 30.00*+ 25.00 24.00 29.97 23.98
    1920x1200 30.00
    1920x1080 60.00 50.00 59.94 24.00 23.98
    1600x1200 30.00
    1680x1050 59.88
    1280x1024 60.02
    1440x900 30.00
    1280x960 60.00
    1360x768 60.02
    1280x800 59.91
    1280x720 60.00 50.00 59.94
    1024x768 60.00
    800x600 60.32 56.25
    720x576 50.00
    720x480 60.00 59.94
    640x480 60.00 59.94
    720x400 70.08
    DVI-D-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess about 17.
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GenjiraX wrote: »
    I would guess about 17.

what is 17?

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A high speed hdmi 2.0 cable is fine, can do 18GPS no trouble.

Looking at xrandr you have dvi hdmi and 3 display ports so I'm guessing the card is powerful enough? One thing to remember is the card has a maximum GPS throughput so adding a second monitor on some cards means you can't drive 4k on the main one, unless you also have a vga port which is a separate bandwidth channel.

Also what is the TV rated at, does the spec actually say 4k at 60hz? some don't.

EU PS4
    Options