The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How many people with lag and stutter are not using a hdmi 2.0 cable or maybe have a bad cable?

• Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lady_Linux wrote: »
    someone lease post a link to a dp to hdmi cable that offers in its item description a 4k resolution of 60 hrtz or better because i cant find one! BUT the hdmi 2.0 cable i ordered does offer 60 hrtz.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100172206 601294523 601342154

Coboc HD4K2K60H12FT HDMI 2.0 High Speed 18Gbps HDMI Cable w/ Cotton Mesh Braiding - 4K*2K @ 60Hz Ready - 12ft-Black/Blue

That's just one, they have ones Edit: Look under home, sometimes the better ones are not under computer
    Edited by Grimm13 on November 16, 2019 2:01AM
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    could not find on amazon after 5 pages of looking, any dp to hdmi cable that offered 60 hrtz or better resolution for 4k.

EVERY 4k dp to hdmi cable i found was 30 hrtz

i did find a nice 8k dp cable for 20$ that offers 8k at 60, 4k at 144, and 2k at 165 hrtz.

but nothing for hdmi.

It's getting close to Black Friday, you might as well replace your TV with a legit PC Monitor that has both HDMI and Display Port plugs. Unless you just bought this TV, I think I remember you saying that in another thread about 4k gaming.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play this game at 4k and it's rare I see lag. Make fun of not having the right cable. But a system is only as strong as its weakest link and most people cheap out on cables. This I know, as an IT guy.
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cable issues as in a bad cable would show up as tiling or other artifacts on everything you do on the device. It would not affect performance with regards to frame rates and resolution. These issues would show up with any source.

What you need for 4k is a High Speed Cable, or one capable of 18 GBpS.

https://turbofuture.com/computers/do-i-need-hdmi-cable-4k-hdmi-20-guide

https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/home/cables/hdmi.html

Oh, and something that will blow your mind, in the past, Gamebryo engines games are smoother at lower frame rates than higher ones. Although the issues show up when approaching 60FPS and beyond. Not sure about this game at 4K. But it has to do with the Physics and the Frame Rate Sync.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I've seen everything. You are actually trying to blame the game's atrocious performance on HDMI cables.

Probably some PR employee doing damage control or one of those urinalists sweeping all responsibility off the top of companies that pay them.
    𝗡𝗼𝘁 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆, 𝗺𝗼𝗱𝘀. 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗕𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴.
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure my cable isn't 2.0
    Grimm13 wrote: »
    someone lease post a link to a dp to hdmi cable that offers in its item description a 4k resolution of 60 hrtz or better because i cant find one! BUT the hdmi 2.0 cable i ordered does offer 60 hrtz.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100172206 601294523 601342154

Coboc HD4K2K60H12FT HDMI 2.0 High Speed 18Gbps HDMI Cable w/ Cotton Mesh Braiding - 4K*2K @ 60Hz Ready - 12ft-Black/Blue

That's just one, they have ones Edit: Look under home, sometimes the better ones are not under computer

No! People had suggested i use a display port to hdmi cable. I found plenty hdmi 2.0 cables but the suggested dp to hdmi i that i had found were all inferior to the standard hdmi 2.0 cables.

And this begs the question... if i cant find a dp to hdmi cable that supports 60 hrtz or more then how many of the people who are using dp to hdmi are using an inferior cable that isn't giving them even 60 hrtz like the standard hdmi 2.0 cables. It behooves people to check their cables. Make sure they have hdmi 2.0 and one that is working correctly.
    Edited by Lady_Linux on November 16, 2019 4:19AM
    I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    could not find on amazon after 5 pages of looking, any dp to hdmi cable that offered 60 hrtz or better resolution for 4k.

EVERY 4k dp to hdmi cable i found was 30 hrtz

i did find a nice 8k dp cable for 20$ that offers 8k at 60, 4k at 144, and 2k at 165 hrtz.

but nothing for hdmi.

It's getting close to Black Friday, you might as well replace your TV with a legit PC Monitor that has both HDMI and Display Port plugs. Unless you just bought this TV, I think I remember you saying that in another thread about 4k gaming.

Yah i did just buy it. Got a good price for a 50 inch 4k tv. I just upgraded to it from a 32 inch 1080p tv.
    I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, i'm sure my cable is hdmi 2.0 and that it's good because i tested it.
    Yes. I am using a HDMI 2.0 cable. However.... since I have only satellite, it's not really - helpful....
    Options
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wut, wut, wut?
    I'm running the game at 2560x1440p, 165 FPS, and G-Sync enabled via displayport. I don't think I can handle this game at 60 FPS, too choppy.
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on November 16, 2019 4:37AM
    Options
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, i'm sure my cable is hdmi 2.0 and that it's good because i tested it.
    Now I've seen everything. You are actually trying to blame the game's atrocious performance on HDMI cables.
    No. But it is worth looking at. Not having the correct cable or having a bad cable can have a huge impact on performance...

yeah I'm sure 10s of 1000s of people worldwide suffering lag in this game don't know to use HDMI 2.0

smh it's the last thing anybody should be looking at, it's clearly not the issue
    Edited by lagrue on November 16, 2019 7:29AM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running the game at 2560x1440p, 165 FPS, and G-Sync enabled via displayport. I don't think I can handle this game at 60 FPS, too choppy.

+no one is talking about frames per second.. we are talking about the refresh rate the cable is capable of.

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A high speed hdmi 2.0 cable is fine, can do 18GPS no trouble.

Looking at xrandr you have dvi hdmi and 3 display ports so I'm guessing the card is powerful enough? One thing to remember is the card has a maximum GPS throughput so adding a second monitor on some cards means you can't drive 4k on the main one, unless you also have a vga port which is a separate bandwidth channel.

Also what is the TV rated at, does the spec actually say 4k at 60hz? some don't.

the tv has an actual setting in the system setup to switch between hdmi 1.4 and 2.0

heres the spec sheet for it:

https://www.sceptre.com/productSpecs-412.html#specs
    Edited by Lady_Linux on November 16, 2019 4:51AM

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all.... HDMI is laughable for a true gamer. We all know DISPLAY PORT is the way to go... and please... stuttering and lag are nearly NEVER related to your cable OMEGALULZ

If you're having performance issues, refer to this MEGA thread that has some VERY solid tips and tweaks to really improve performance AND graphics quality
    Edited by itsfatbass on November 16, 2019 6:39AM
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itsfatbass wrote: »
    First of all.... HDMI is laughable for a true gamer. We all know DISPLAY PORT is the way to go... and please... stuttering and lag are nearly NEVER related to your cable OMEGALULZ

If you're having performance issues, refer to this MEGA thread that has some VERY solid tips and tweaks to really improve performance AND graphics quality

Why would i do any of that when i have already determined the cable to be the issue? In addition, the advice to use a dp to hdmi cable has also been debunked as the only ones i could find that would run 4k did so only at a 30 hrtz refresh rate when the hdmi 2.0 cable does so at twice that rate. Oh and lookie here: here's an 8k hdmi cable that is hdmi 2.1:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KNRXGW4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1CJUFQIP79W99&psc=1

So much for display port elitism

Edited by Lady_Linux on November 16, 2019 7:34AM

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    wut, wut, wut?
    WTF Lewis?!?

I use a com. put. or

I’d blame my equipment if I got the same *** lag and FPS on PC NA that I get on PC EU.

PC NA - 60 FPS, limited lag, low population.

PC EU - 30 FPS max, lag, slap back, rubber banding, crashing, long load screens, high player population

So pretty certain that’s not down to the HDMI cable that I don’t use.

Please stop this ‘blame the players’ ***.
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »
    WTF Lewis?!?

I use a com. put. or

I’d blame my equipment if I got the same *** lag and FPS on PC NA that I get on PC EU.

PC EU - 30 FPS max, lag, slap back, rubber banding, crashing, long load screens, high player population

This isnt about blaming players. It's about looking at your equipment and being sure you are getting the best performance possible.

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    wut, wut, wut?
    FierceSam wrote: »
    WTF Lewis?!?

I use a com. put. or

This isnt about blaming players. It's about looking at your equipment and being sure you are getting the best performance possible.

You are suggesting that the lag and stutter is down to the player’s equipment rather than, say, ZOS’s server performance. That is exactly ‘player blaming’. It perpetuates ZOS’s myth that they are providing a good, stable service and it must be individual player’s faults if they experience any issues.

I am saying it is unlikely that my set up is the cause of lag and stutter as I have a completely different experience playing the same game with the same set up on different ZOS servers.

But hopefully an HDMI cable upgrade will help yours.
    Options
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OP are you on a console or pc? Because if your on pc you probably should be using a display port connection and not hdmi 2.0

OK. so if i use the display port on my graphics card but i only have hdmi on my tv how would i then connect it? If i were to use an adapter, wouldnt that just negate the value of using the display port?

you can buy cables that do this, i have one for my main screen and use standard HDMI for my 2nd
    929579-871577-800.jpg

NOW see i took your word for it and canceled my delivery for my hdmi 2.0 cables on your word that i should use a dp to hdmi cable but then couldnt find a dp to hdmi cable that was as capabale of the hdmi 2.0 cable that i had ordered

AND i now have to wait three days to reorder the hdmi cable i cancelled. Because there is no dp to hdmi cable on amazon that i could find that would be better suited for me than the hdmi cable i had selected that does 4k at 60 hrtz.

AND since i couldnt find a dp to hdmi cable capable of 60 hrtz on amazon, i have to wonder if your dp to hdmi cable is running your 4k at 30 hrtz and impacting your performance.

see that? And for how may other people is this also true? a factor?

im running with a nice 60hz and the only "stutter" i get is due to server performance, if your running a Nvidia card there are several things you can to to optimise your output, running 4k does not mean better performance only a better resolution, your performance will be down to your screens refresh rate
    Options
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    wut, wut, wut?
    I use a flux capacitor. Is that good also?
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
    Options
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    I use a flux capacitor. Is that good also?

Only if your getting up to 88mph
    Options
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Great Scott!!!
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
    Options
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See i have to ask because i upgraded to a 4k tv but i dont have an hdmi 2.0 cable (yet) and the one i do have i am only getting a refresh rate of 30 hrtz not the 60 hrtz that a 2.0 cable would give me at 4k. the difference in the refresh rate i think would matter with the smoothness of the scene changes as i move around in the game and it comes off like lag and stutter and a feeeling of drunkenness and is awful. And since i am sure i dont have a 2.0 hdmi cable capable of 18Gbps (well pretty sure and i have some on the way) and i know how bad things can be with poor quality ethernet cables that seem to go bad for no reason, it seems i have to ask.

You haven't said what's connected to the TV. Console then 30fps is normal for 4K.
    GPU? Then tell us which one to get more information.

HDMI 1.4 only supports 4K 24/30fps, that includes the cable not only connections.
    HDMI 2.0/a/b support 4K 60fps, HDR (a), object orient sound (b)

Give us more information what you want to do, with the type of hardware and we can give you a more informative solution.
    Options
  • randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still curious as to what the graphics card is.

Also you showed xrandr output so running on Linux via steam+proton?
    EU PS4
    Options
  • Jaxwell
    Jaxwell
    ✭✭✭
    069Nv1g.jpg
    Options
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have no idea what kind of hdmi cable I’m using. Does it look different? Using a PS4 pro and 4k tv.
    Options
  • molecule
    molecule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not the 60 hrtz that a 2.0 cable would give me at 4k.

A cable won't give you 60 htz, it will allow your hardware to go to that speed/level.

What graphics card are you using that you think will go a solid 60fps (or 60 htz) @ 4k ?

Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See i have to ask because i upgraded to a 4k tv but i dont have an hdmi 2.0 cable (yet) and the one i do have i am only getting a refresh rate of 30 hrtz not the 60 hrtz that a 2.0 cable would give me at 4k. the difference in the refresh rate i think would matter with the smoothness of the scene changes as i move around in the game and it comes off like lag and stutter and a feeeling of drunkenness and is awful. And since i am sure i dont have a 2.0 hdmi cable capable of 18Gbps (well pretty sure and i have some on the way) and i know how bad things can be with poor quality ethernet cables that seem to go bad for no reason, it seems i have to ask.

You haven't said what's connected to the TV. Console then 30fps is normal for 4K.
    GPU? Then tell us which one to get more information.

HDMI 1.4 only supports 4K 24/30fps, that includes the cable not only connections.
    HDMI 2.0/a/b support 4K 60fps, HDR (a), object orient sound (b)

Give us more information what you want to do, with the type of hardware and we can give you a more informative solution.

i have an asrock phantom gaming rx 570 8 gb

here's some inxi

sudo inxi -Fxzmc0
    System: Host: manjaroed Kernel: 5.4.0-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.2.0 Console: tty 0
    Distro: Manjaro Linux
    Machine: Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: AB350M-DS3H v: N/A serial: N/A
    Mobo: Gigabyte model: AB350M-DS3H-CF v: x.x serial: N/A UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F24 date: 12/25/2018
    Battery: Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech M570 charge: 10% status: Discharging
    Device-2: hidpp_battery_1 model: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 charge: 55% (should be ignored)
    Memory: RAM: total: 15.65 GiB used: 2.91 GiB (18.6%)
    Array-1: capacity: 256 GiB note: check slots: 4 EC: None max module size: 64 GiB note: est.
    Device-1: DIMM 0 size: No Module Installed
    Device-2: DIMM 1 size: 8 GiB speed: 3000 MT/s type: DDR4
    Device-3: DIMM 0 size: No Module Installed
    Device-4: DIMM 1 size: 8 GiB speed: 3000 MT/s type: DDR4
    CPU: Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen
    L2 cache: 2048 KiB
    flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 57517
    Speed: 1823 MHz min/max: 1600/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1777 2: 1993 3: 1535 4: 1503 5: 1531 6: 1531 7: 1458
    8: 1473
    Graphics: Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] vendor: ASRock
    driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
    Display: server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: modesetting resolution: 3840x2160~30Hz
    OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 570 Series (POLARIS10 DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-1-MANJARO LLVM 9.0.0) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.2.4
    direct render: Yes
    Audio: Device-1: AMD Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590] vendor: ASRock driver: snd_hda_intel
    v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1
    Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 17h HD Audio vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    bus ID: 09:00.6
    Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-1-MANJARO
    Network: Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Gigabyte driver: r8169 v: kernel
    port: e000 bus ID: 05:00.0
    IF: enp5s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
    Drives: Local Storage: total: 585.00 GiB used: 272.27 GiB (46.5%)
    ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Micron model: MT-128 size: 119.24 GiB
    ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: SanDisk model: Ultra II 500GB size: 465.76 GiB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 50.00 GiB used: 13.27 GiB (26.5%) fs: f2fs dev: /dev/sdb3
    ID-2: /home size: 414.68 GiB used: 258.99 GiB (62.5%) fs: f2fs dev: /dev/sdb4
    Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 45.9 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 45 C
    Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: amdgpu fan: 1488
    Info: Processes: 298 Uptime: 9h 52m Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 9.2.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.11 inxi: 3.0.36
    Edited by Lady_Linux on November 16, 2019 4:18PM

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • molecule
    molecule
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i have an asrock phantom gaming rx 570 8 gb

That card will not produce a solid 60fps ( 60hz ) @ 4k, no cable will improve that

Edited by molecule on November 16, 2019 4:26PM
    Options
  • Jeirno
    Jeirno
    ✭✭✭✭
    wut, wut, wut?
    My advice is, return the TV and buy an actual _gaming monitor_ use the display port in that and problem solved.

EDIT: RX 570 8GB most likely can't run 4k 60fps so buy a better GPU if you dream of playing @4k60fps
    Edited by Jeirno on November 16, 2019 4:47PM
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    I have no idea what kind of hdmi cable I’m using. Does it look different? Using a PS4 pro and 4k tv.

PS4 vs PS4 Pro connections
    PS4 Pro has an extra USB port
    PS4 Pro also has an optical audio port
    Original PS4 uses HDMI 1.4, Pro uses HDMI 2.0a

according to this web site

https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-pro-vs-ps4-what-s-the-difference-1328341

for 10$ you can get an hdmi 2.0 cable and be sure you have the correct cable. If you arent 100% sure, you could easily conect your computer if you have one to your tv with the hdmi cable and see what you os reports your resolution and refresh rate are. if you get 30 hz instead of 60 then you know it's not a 2.0 hdmi cable with a 60 hz rating.
    Edited by Lady_Linux on November 16, 2019 5:13PM

BTW, I use arch too
    Options