How many people with lag and stutter are not using a hdmi 2.0 cable or maybe have a bad cable?

• Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure my cable isn't 2.0
    Jeirno wrote: »
    My advice is, return the TV and buy an actual _gaming monitor_ use the display port in that and problem solved.

EDIT: RX 570 8GB most likely can't run 4k 60fps so buy a better GPU if you dream of playing @4k60fps

that sounds like dumb advice. also wasnt seeking any advice. but thanks for the elitism
    I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lady_Linux wrote: »

i have an asrock phantom gaming rx 570 8 gb

Here's your issue^

This card isn't going to do what you are asking it to do.
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    molecule wrote: »

That card will not produce a solid 60fps ( 60hz ) @ 4k, no cable will improve that

clearly it can...
    I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Jeirno
    Jeirno
    ✭✭✭✭
    wut, wut, wut?
    My advice is, return the TV and buy an actual _gaming monitor_ use the display port in that and problem solved.

EDIT: RX 570 8GB most likely can't run 4k 60fps so buy a better GPU if you dream of playing @4k60fps

that sounds like dumb advice. also wasnt seeking any advice. but thanks for the elitism

My "elitism" would literally solve your problem but if that is not what you are looking for, can't help you.
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My "elitism" would literally solve your problem but if that is not what you are looking for, can't help you.

Wasn't asking for help. The point of the thread is that the wrong hdmi cable will affect performance. and it does. The graphics card uses hdmi 2.0 which is 60 hrtz and thetv uses hdmi 2.0 which is 60 hrtz. But the mode setting is reporting 30 hrts, ergo the cable is not hdmi 2.0 which is 60 hrtz.

But thanks for trying to hijack the thread and flip the script and twisting it into my need for your help. Clearly that isnt so because i identified the problem long before i ever started the thread.
    Edited by Lady_Linux on November 16, 2019 5:08PM

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    wut, wut, wut?

Wasn't asking for help. The point of the thread is that the wrong hdmi cable will affect performance. and it does. The graphics card uses hdmi 2.0 which is 60 hrtz and thetv uses hdmi 2.0 which is 60 hrtz. But the mode setting is reporting 30 hrts, ergo the cable is not hdmi 2.0 which is 60 hrtz.

But thanks for trying to hijack the thread and flip the script and twisting it into my need for your help. Clearly that isnt so because i identified the problem long before i ever started the thread.

refresh rate is not really related to performance in the way you think it is. And his advice of getting a gaming monitor is very solid, as it gives you much better configuration and overall options when it comes to cables. But well, since you already have a TV and a good graphics card already, don't bother replacing them.(Unless you know for SURE one of those is the problem) Your GPU is more than good enough to play ESO at 4k, you might want to tune down a few settings but thats about it.

I'm using a 144 hertz gaming monitor, it supports HDMI , DVI and display port, which is a lot of freedom, and issues like ghosting or screen tearing etc are not even a thing.(I've been using it for over 4 years, prior to that I used a TV for casual gaming and I was not a fan of it) . Not to mention 144 hertz refresh rate is just so smooth Its hard to describe it to someone who never tried it. All I can say is once you experience that, 30 hertz just feels like a slideshow.

When you said lag and stutter I immediately thought of ESO's performance issues however now realizing that you're playing at 30 hertz, that might be why your experience feels like that. Definitely buy a good quality cable that supports 60hertz, if yours is an old one. It will not elimite actual stuttering caused by game's horrible performance, however it will give you a much smoother experience , even when you're out of the game and just watching youtube or something, it will feel easier on your eyes too.

Don't forget to make sure your TV and GPU actually supports 60 hertz over HDMI.

Edited to add a few more things.

Edited by Ragnarock41 on November 16, 2019 5:37PM
    Options
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See i have to ask because i upgraded to a 4k tv but i dont have an hdmi 2.0 cable (yet) and the one i do have i am only getting a refresh rate of 30 hrtz not the 60 hrtz that a 2.0 cable would give me at 4k. the difference in the refresh rate i think would matter with the smoothness of the scene changes as i move around in the game and it comes off like lag and stutter and a feeeling of drunkenness and is awful. And since i am sure i dont have a 2.0 hdmi cable capable of 18Gbps (well pretty sure and i have some on the way) and i know how bad things can be with poor quality ethernet cables that seem to go bad for no reason, it seems i have to ask.

You haven't said what's connected to the TV. Console then 30fps is normal for 4K.
    GPU? Then tell us which one to get more information.

HDMI 1.4 only supports 4K 24/30fps, that includes the cable not only connections.
    HDMI 2.0/a/b support 4K 60fps, HDR (a), object orient sound (b)

Give us more information what you want to do, with the type of hardware and we can give you a more informative solution.

here's some inxi

sudo inxi -Fxzmc0
    System: Host: manjaroed Kernel: 5.4.0-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.2.0 Console: tty 0
    Distro: Manjaro Linux
    Machine: Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: AB350M-DS3H v: N/A serial: N/A
    Mobo: Gigabyte model: AB350M-DS3H-CF v: x.x serial: N/A UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F24 date: 12/25/2018
    Battery: Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech M570 charge: 10% status: Discharging
    Device-2: hidpp_battery_1 model: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 charge: 55% (should be ignored)
    Memory: RAM: total: 15.65 GiB used: 2.91 GiB (18.6%)
    Array-1: capacity: 256 GiB note: check slots: 4 EC: None max module size: 64 GiB note: est.
    Device-1: DIMM 0 size: No Module Installed
    Device-2: DIMM 1 size: 8 GiB speed: 3000 MT/s type: DDR4
    Device-3: DIMM 0 size: No Module Installed
    Device-4: DIMM 1 size: 8 GiB speed: 3000 MT/s type: DDR4
    CPU: Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen
    L2 cache: 2048 KiB
    flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 57517
    Speed: 1823 MHz min/max: 1600/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1777 2: 1993 3: 1535 4: 1503 5: 1531 6: 1531 7: 1458
    8: 1473
    Graphics: Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] vendor: ASRock
    driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
    Display: server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: modesetting resolution: 3840x2160~30Hz
    OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 570 Series (POLARIS10 DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-1-MANJARO LLVM 9.0.0) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.2.4
    direct render: Yes
    Audio: Device-1: AMD Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590] vendor: ASRock driver: snd_hda_intel
    v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1
    Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 17h HD Audio vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    bus ID: 09:00.6
    Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-1-MANJARO
    Network: Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Gigabyte driver: r8169 v: kernel
    port: e000 bus ID: 05:00.0
    IF: enp5s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
    Drives: Local Storage: total: 585.00 GiB used: 272.27 GiB (46.5%)
    ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Micron model: MT-128 size: 119.24 GiB
    ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: SanDisk model: Ultra II 500GB size: 465.76 GiB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 50.00 GiB used: 13.27 GiB (26.5%) fs: f2fs dev: /dev/sdb3
    ID-2: /home size: 414.68 GiB used: 258.99 GiB (62.5%) fs: f2fs dev: /dev/sdb4
    Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 45.9 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 45 C
    Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: amdgpu fan: 1488
    Info: Processes: 298 Uptime: 9h 52m Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 9.2.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.11 inxi: 3.0.36

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G ???????

Check if you can upgrade to Ryzen 3600 on the Gigabyte B350M first.
    Options
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's no such a thing as a 2.0 cable. All HDMI cable are equal, it's the devices that need to support it. Please don't spread this misinformation. Google it first, learn about why all cables are the same, and what's HDMI 2.0 and you'll know that it's not your cable that's a problem.
    Options
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, i'm sure my cable is hdmi 2.0 and that it's good because i tested it.
    ZonasArch wrote: »
    There's no such a thing as a 2.0 cable. All HDMI cable are equal, it's the devices that need to support it. Please don't spread this misinformation. Google it first, learn about why all cables are the same, and what's HDMI 2.0 and you'll know that it's not your cable that's a problem.

Not all cables support 2.0 and that's just a fact. Technically they are called Highspeed Cables, the ones that support 2.0. But Standard HDMI cords do not support the full potential of transfer offered by 2.0 ports and will function as 1.4 even in a 2.0 port. Thankfully it's not as easy to get ahold of Standard cables anymore, as most are made Highspeed these days.
    Edited by lagrue on November 16, 2019 5:37PM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
    Options
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    wut, wut, wut?
    Whats with all the people asking for OP to upgrade her PC? Running ESO at 4k is a very easy task. I think you all need to calm down honestly.

The real problem is probably that, either the TV or the GPU doesn't have support for 4k 60 hertz, not from HDMI at least.

Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats with all the people asking for OP to upgrade her PC? Running ESO at 4k is a very easy task. I think you all need to calm down honestly.

The real problem is probably that, either the TV or the GPU doesn't have support for 4k 60 hertz, not from HDMI at least.

it has already been established that they both do support hdmi 2.0 the 60 hrtz spec. but thanks for not reading the thread b4 commenting.

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • molecule
    molecule
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That card will not produce a solid 60fps ( 60hz ) @ 4k, no cable will improve that

clearly it can...

The card is not powerful enough for 4k gaming at 60hz/60fps .

FACT
    Options
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lagrue wrote: »

Not all cables support 2.0 and that's just a fact. Technically they are called Highspeed Cables, the ones that support 2.0. But Standard HDMI cords do not support the full potential of transfer offered by 2.0 ports and will function as 1.4 even in a 2.0 port. Thankfully it's not as easy to get ahold of Standard cables anymore, as most are made Highspeed these days.

Alrighty then.
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See i have to ask because i upgraded to a 4k tv but i dont have an hdmi 2.0 cable (yet) and the one i do have i am only getting a refresh rate of 30 hrtz not the 60 hrtz that a 2.0 cable would give me at 4k. the difference in the refresh rate i think would matter with the smoothness of the scene changes as i move around in the game and it comes off like lag and stutter and a feeeling of drunkenness and is awful. And since i am sure i dont have a 2.0 hdmi cable capable of 18Gbps (well pretty sure and i have some on the way) and i know how bad things can be with poor quality ethernet cables that seem to go bad for no reason, it seems i have to ask.

You haven't said what's connected to the TV. Console then 30fps is normal for 4K.

HDMI 1.4 only supports 4K 24/30fps, that includes the cable not only connections.

Give us more information what you want to do, with the type of hardware and we can give you a more informative solution.

here's some inxi

sudo inxi -Fxzmc0
    System: Host: manjaroed Kernel: 5.4.0-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.2.0 Console: tty 0
    Mobo: Gigabyte model: AB350M-DS3H-CF v: x.x serial: N/A UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F24 date: 12/25/2018
    Battery: Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech M570 charge: 10% status: Discharging
    Device-2: hidpp_battery_1 model: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 charge: 55% (should be ignored)
    Array-1: capacity: 256 GiB note: check slots: 4 EC: None max module size: 64 GiB note: est.
    CPU: Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen
    flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 57517
    Speed: 1823 MHz min/max: 1600/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1777 2: 1993 3: 1535 4: 1503 5: 1531 6: 1531 7: 1458
    Graphics: Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] vendor: ASRock
    Display: server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: modesetting resolution: 3840x2160~30Hz
    OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 570 Series (POLARIS10 DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-1-MANJARO LLVM 9.0.0) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.2.4
    Audio: Device-1: AMD Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590] vendor: ASRock driver: snd_hda_intel
    Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 17h HD Audio vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    Network: Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Gigabyte driver: r8169 v: kernel
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 50.00 GiB used: 13.27 GiB (26.5%) fs: f2fs dev: /dev/sdb3
    Info: Processes: 298 Uptime: 9h 52m Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 9.2.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.11 inxi: 3.0.36

it does the job. i started this build with my ryzen 5 only and ran eso nearly at max settings with the apu only and allocating 2gb of ram for vram... it's a great little 8 core processor...

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    wut, wut, wut?

it has already been established that they both do support hdmi 2.0 the 60 hrtz spec. but thanks for not reading the thread b4 commenting.

Just so you know, throwing a hissy fit at me won't solve your problems. Though if it makes you less frustrated, go ahead lol.
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

clearly it can...

FACT

not a fact. but thanks for hijacking and derailing the thread...

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    wut, wut, wut?

clearly it can...

FACT

That depends literally on the game , and the settings its played on, your cpu and ram also plays a part. Please don't spread misinformation. You CAN do 4k gaming on a mid tier graphics card, maybe not at ultra, but surely at lower quality settings.
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just so you know, throwing a hissy fit at me won't solve your problems. Though if it makes you less frustrated, go ahead lol.

no hissy fit here. but thanks for contributing to derailing the thread. I don't need you to solve the problem. It was established before i made the first post that the cable was not sufficient for the task. AND that was the point of the thread really.... since my cable clearly wasnt up to task, and a factor in not getting the best performance i can get, to ask people if they are using hdmi 2.0 or not becuase it could be a factor..
    Edited by Lady_Linux on November 16, 2019 5:47PM

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

clearly it can...

FACT

That depends literally on the game , and the settings its played on, your cpu and ram also plays a part. Please don't spread misinformation. You CAN do 4k gaming on a mid tier graphics card, maybe not at ultra, but surely at lower quality settings.

And the game we are talking about is eso, which really is not so high spec a game.. Which makes your point even more on track.

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

refresh rate is not really related to performance in the way you think it is. And his advice of getting a gaming monitor is very solid, as it gives you much better configuration and overall options when it comes to cables. But well, since you already have a TV and a good graphics card already, don't bother replacing them.(Unless you know for SURE one of those is the problem) Your GPU is more than good enough to play ESO at 4k, you might want to tune down a few settings but thats about it.

I'm using a 144 hertz gaming monitor, it supports HDMI , DVI and display port, which is a lot of freedom, and issues like ghosting or screen tearing etc are not even a thing.(I've been using it for over 4 years, prior to that I used a TV for casual gaming and I was not a fan of it) . Not to mention 144 hertz refresh rate is just so smooth Its hard to describe it to someone who never tried it. All I can say is once you experience that, 30 hertz just feels like a slideshow.

When you said lag and stutter I immediately thought of ESO's performance issues however now realizing that you're playing at 30 hertz, that might be why your experience feels like that. Definitely buy a good quality cable that supports 60hertz, if yours is an old one. It will not elimite actual stuttering caused by game's horrible performance, however it will give you a much smoother experience , even when you're out of the game and just watching youtube or something, it will feel easier on your eyes too.

Don't forget to make sure your TV and GPU actually supports 60 hertz over HDMI.

Edited to add a few more things.

Thank you for this well thought out post

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

here's some inxi

sudo inxi -Fxzmc0

it does the job. i started this build with my ryzen 5 only and ran eso nearly at max settings with the apu only and allocating 2gb of ram for vram... it's a great little 8 core processor...

Is a slow quad core APU. The game is CPU bound, you do need the higher IPC of a Ryzen 3000 given the motherboard you have
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Alrighty then.

In fact there are 4k 2.0 cables and 8k 2.1 cables for hdmi

hdmi 2.0 for 4k on the cheap:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SSD0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

hdmi 2.1 for 8k:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KNRXGW4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1CJUFQIP79W99&psc=1
    Edited by Lady_Linux on November 16, 2019 6:01PM

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

here's some inxi

sudo inxi -Fxzmc0

Is a slow quad core APU. The game is CPU bound, you do need the higher IPC of a Ryzen 3000 given the motherboard you have

well ok but ity has hyperthreading which makes it 4 cores/8 Threads.

see the 8 threads in the line above

but not withstanding that i have a separate gpu now so it is only doing cpu tasks.

But i conceed your point, a better cpu would give me better performance

BUT only after i get the correct hdmi cable :) Gotz to start with the basics. The right cable makes a big difference.
    Edited by Lady_Linux on November 16, 2019 6:07PM

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Alrighty then.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SSD0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

hdmi 2.1 for 8k:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KNRXGW4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1CJUFQIP79W99&psc=1

2.1 are indeed different, but up to 2.0, you won't find anything that's not supported by a 1.4 cable.

Either way, not my problem. I do my research before spending my money, trying to help seems pointless.

And posting links to a seller saying it's proof of cable difference is silly. Of course the seller will say there's a difference, so they can justify an upcharge. "4k ready" and "vr ready" and "Ray tracing ready" are. Things you see on PSUs, computer cases, LEDs strips... I mean... Wtf?

So yeah... Of course there will be a sticker "4k ready" on a HDMI cable... It's irrelevant obvious info, but still.

Anyway, I'm done here. I keep forgetting that I'm not supposed to try to help people out of the kindness of my heart. I need to get better at being selfish and just enjoying people being ignorant and wasting their money. Not my chair, not my problem.
    Options
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still not sure why an older video cable limiting you to a max of 30fps (which, if you can do 60fps with your CPU/GPU, 30 should be dead stable), has anything to do with "lag" or "stutter". You're not running your broadband connection through your HDMI cable.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on November 16, 2019 6:19PM
    Options
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh wow, this thread is still going...

I think some things need to be mentioned though...

The only functional reason to ever have a refresh rate over 60 is not visual quality. It has been pretty darn conclusively proven that while humans can tell the difference between a 240hz display and a 60hz display... they can't tell it when they are PLAYING anywhere near as often.

Refresh rate has exactly ONE impact on performance. If your refresh rate is less than your FPS in some circumstances you will have a yoyo effect with Vsync on. Beyond this, there is no effect. Higher refresh rates DO NOT IN ANY WAY INCREASE PERFORMANCE.

The final thing is what we, as gamers, actually get high refresh rates for is INPUT LATENCY. The time between seeing, clicking, and seeing the result of the click. Higher refresh rates allow for more images to be drawn and thus allows for your eye to see and register action faster. In an FPS this is very important... In ESO less important(it helps to weave).

Fact checks:
    A bad cable is a bad cable. Most of you probably have bad cables. You've bent them, rolled a chair over them. Abused them. Stuck them into dirty a** ports. They are "less optimal".
    GOOD NEWS!
    Having a bad cable with a crap monitor means NOTHING! Cables are DIGITAL NOW. Digital has this really cool thing where it either works.. or it doesn't. Unless you have actual more expensive than a car hardware cable choice isn't going to bother you one whit. Rejoice at no longer having to physically shield your monitor cable from your power cable or get artifacts!

2.0 vs 1.0 HDMI. It doesn't matter. I've seen really cheap cables handle 2.0 specs... I've seen really expensive cables fail at 2.0 spec. You can have a passing 2.0 spec cable fail by bending it wrong. Unless you are truly 100% visualphile hardcore you probably won't have a setup that cares. If you do have a setup that cares you won't use HDMI because of how finicky it is.
    Options
  • fierackas
    fierackas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EU server must be on the wrong cable!
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Alrighty then.

hdmi 2.1 for 8k:

2.1 are indeed different, but up to 2.0, you won't find anything that's not supported by a 1.4 cable.

Either way, not my problem. I do my research before spending my money, trying to help seems pointless.

And posting links to a seller saying it's proof of cable difference is silly. Of course the seller will say there's a difference, so they can justify an upcharge. "4k ready" and "vr ready" and "Ray tracing ready" are. Things you see on PSUs, computer cases, LEDs strips... I mean... Wtf?

So yeah... Of course there will be a sticker "4k ready" on a HDMI cable... It's irrelevant obvious info, but still.

Anyway, I'm done here. I keep forgetting that I'm not supposed to try to help people out of the kindness of my heart. I need to get better at being selfish and just enjoying people being ignorant and wasting their money. Not my chair, not my problem.

hdmi 1.4 only supports 30 htz

hdmi 2.0 supports 60 htz

at 4k

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fierackas wrote: »
    EU server must be on the wrong cable!

ahahahahahah! clever!

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh wow, this thread is still going...

I think some things need to be mentioned though...

The only functional reason to ever have a refresh rate over 60 is not visual quality. It has been pretty darn conclusively proven that while humans can tell the difference between a 240hz display and a 60hz display... they can't tell it when they are PLAYING anywhere near as often.

Refresh rate has exactly ONE impact on performance. If your refresh rate is less than your FPS in some circumstances you will have a yoyo effect with Vsync on. Beyond this, there is no effect. Higher refresh rates DO NOT IN ANY WAY INCREASE PERFORMANCE.

The final thing is what we, as gamers, actually get high refresh rates for is INPUT LATENCY. The time between seeing, clicking, and seeing the result of the click. Higher refresh rates allow for more images to be drawn and thus allows for your eye to see and register action faster. In an FPS this is very important... In ESO less important(it helps to weave).

Fact checks:
    A bad cable is a bad cable. Most of you probably have bad cables. You've bent them, rolled a chair over them. Abused them. Stuck them into dirty a** ports. They are "less optimal".
    GOOD NEWS!
    Having a bad cable with a crap monitor means NOTHING! Cables are DIGITAL NOW. Digital has this really cool thing where it either works.. or it doesn't. Unless you have actual more expensive than a car hardware cable choice isn't going to bother you one whit. Rejoice at no longer having to physically shield your monitor cable from your power cable or get artifacts!

2.0 vs 1.0 HDMI. It doesn't matter. I've seen really cheap cables handle 2.0 specs... I've seen really expensive cables fail at 2.0 spec. You can have a passing 2.0 spec cable fail by bending it wrong. Unless you are truly 100% visualphile hardcore you probably won't have a setup that cares. If you do have a setup that cares you won't use HDMI because of how finicky it is.

1.4 hdmi supports 30 hrtz

2.0 hdmi support 60 htz

2.1 hdmi supports 240 htz

for 4k

these are facts.

BTW, I use arch too
    Options