The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Eidetic Memory Bugs/Comments/Help, Volume Two

• Gralor
    Gralor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BrightOblivion – Your efforts are much appreciated. Thank you!
  • tim99
    tim99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, but maybe we should split this thread, into a thread about discussions on real problem-books and a thread for console players which are too lazy to google and want a screenshot for every book thats not on a main road who need some help...
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gralor wrote: »
    @BrightOblivion – Your efforts are much appreciated. Thank you!

Thanks for the kind words. Being honest, right now I'm just feeling rather frustrated and discouraged at current progress in fixing books this patch cycle, particularly after how well things went in the first half of the Elsweyr PTS. I know it's likely that they're currently focused on some of the many other bugs currently running rampant throughout the game and that that's why we aren't getting the fixes this patch (they did fix fifteen or so books during Elsweyr and five during the first week of this update, so maybe they think that's "good enough" for now?), but I'd be lying if I said the relative silence regarding their plans wasn't starting to get to me. It is what it is, though.
    tim99 wrote: »
    yeah, but maybe we should split this thread, into a thread about discussions on real problem-books and a thread for console players which are too lazy to google and want a screenshot for every book thats not on a main road who need some help...

Personally, I'm inclined to disagree with this, and am definitely not a fan of the snide struckthrough remark. Having searched down all these books that people have reported, I can say that you would be surprised at how dramatically unhelpful Google can be in pinpointing an exact location for a book. To add to this, my favorite resource when checking bugged books - the UESP Log - depends on being able to see your map coordinates, something that is not baked into the base game and is only available through an addon, and, as such, isn't a possibility for consoles. Additionally, if one person is looking for a book, the odds are good that they aren't the only one, and there may very well be books which PC players are searching for which console players have found. The very fact that the best and most useful information we have about the books from Sunspire was taken by a console player should be ample evidence of this.

This thread is about ensuring that people are able to complete their book collections, regardless of what platform they're on, whether or not they prefer to group for quests, or whether or not they use addons. It's not and should not be about PC vs console or bugged books vs ones someone needs help finding. Plus, answering people's help requests gives us something to do while we wait on ZOS to fix the books which are bugged.

----

I am extremely grateful for all the people posting screenshots of the books they've located in order to help their fellow players, even if I don't acknowledge all of you by name. I do have two requests, however. When posting a picture, please wrap the image tag in spoiler tags (It will look, without dashes, like [-spoiler-][-img-]Image link goes here[-/img-][-/spoiler-]). Further, if you're posting information about multiple books at once, please keep it within one post rather than making one for each book, either by using the edit feature (you may have to refresh the page to get the cog to appear) or by waiting to post until you've attached all the images. Doing these things will make the thread easier to scroll through, easier to read, and easier to find the information you need, particularly on a mobile device (which many prefer to browse the forum on). It's not an absolute necessity, but it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and have an outstanding day!
  • znrk
    znrk
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words. Being honest, right now I'm just feeling rather frustrated and discouraged at current progress in fixing books this patch cycle, particularly after how well things went in the first half of the Elsweyr PTS. I know it's likely that they're currently focused on some of the many other bugs currently running rampant throughout the game and that that's why we aren't getting the fixes this patch (they did fix fifteen or so books during Elsweyr and five during the first week of this update, so maybe they think that's "good enough" for now?), but I'd be lying if I said the relative silence regarding their plans wasn't starting to get to me. It is what it is, though.

I can understand the feeling, I feel the same despite that I don't even have time for PTS to verify their progress. Big THANK YOU for your efforts here and don't give up, I strongly believe that with time we get ZoS to fix all the books. Elsweyr books organization was a big step in the right direction comparing to Summerset and Vvardenfell, so at least we are not getting many NEW broken books (yeah, I know, those Sealed Imperial Summons :s).
    PC/EU
  • StrafeSinnlos
    StrafeSinnlos
    ✭✭✭
    @BrightOblivion Thanks for the help with Letter to Lady Sulima! Found it. I totally forgot about that door to the mansion %)
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [*] The Sealed Imperial Summons is now available to read on the table next to Abnur after completing The Demon Weapon.

From the patch notes for the PTS this week. The table mentioned is the one inside his encampment in northern Grahtwood, as I was just able to confirm.
  • Sirona_Starr
    Sirona_Starr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just read pretty thoroughly through the pages of this thread, have Googled, and have taken two different toons to get the book "Experiment Journal" in the Vile Manse, Reaper's March. I do see it was reported as missing in 2016. Was it fixed, and is in a different location? (Have tried looking in different locations in the Manse). Lorebook addon has the wrong spot? Have spent a lot of time in that PD, and can't find it. Thank you everyone, as always, for the hard work you put into book locations!!!!!
    Edited by Sirona_Starr on August 2, 2019 2:10PM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just read pretty thoroughly through the pages of this thread, have Googled, and have taken two different toons to get the book "Experiment Journal" in the Vile Manse, Reaper's March. I do see it was reported as missing in 2016. Was it fixed, and is in a different location? (Have tried looking in different locations in the Manse). Lorebook addon has the wrong spot? Have spent a lot of time in that PD, and can't find it. Thank you everyone, as always, for the hard work you put into book locations!!!!!

I can double-check when I’m back in game, but I believe it’s on the table in the square room in the southern part of the map (the penultimate room before the group event).

One of the old threads on this from years ago mentions that it might only appear after you do the related quest. If I recall correctly, you read the book as part of the quest, and you might have to reread it afterwards to get it into your Lore Library. But it’s been a while since I did that, so I can’t say for sure whether that’s changed.
  • lonewolf26
    lonewolf26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would anyone happen to have an after quest location for "A Guide to Gathering Frogs?" I apparently missed it while on the Sounds of Home quest.
  • Meesha1170
    Meesha1170
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I remember that Experimental Journal in the Vile Manse giving me trouble too. I recall having to leave the room with the table and returning several times before it finally spawned and when it did it was only the light from it and I had to rig the first person camera just right to get the cursor with the books name to appear.
  • Sirona_Starr
    Sirona_Starr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meesha1170 wrote: »
    Yeah, I remember that Experimental Journal in the Vile Manse giving me trouble too. I recall having to leave the room with the table and returning several times before it finally spawned and when it did it was only the light from it and I had to rig the first person camera just right to get the cursor with the books name to appear.

Thank you. I'll keep trying!
  • Sirona_Starr
    Sirona_Starr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

I can double-check when I’m back in game, but I believe it’s on the table in the square room in the southern part of the map (the penultimate room before the group event).

One of the old threads on this from years ago mentions that it might only appear after you do the related quest. If I recall correctly, you read the book as part of the quest, and you might have to reread it afterwards to get it into your Lore Library. But it’s been a while since I did that, so I can’t say for sure whether that’s changed.

Thanks for the answer. I'll keep trying to get it to show up in that room. There was another answer below that indicates it is possible, at some point revisiting that room to grab it :)
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No additional fixes beyond those already mentioned made it into the Scalebreaker patch. I guess we're waiting for another 3 months again.

The book that's driving me bonkers update after update continues to be the unsigned Tome of the Undaunted. For lack of anything else to try, I think I'm going to try to check the Abah's Landing bookshelves again to see if it's actually there. I'm unsure at what point it can be assumed that it's not in that pool, but today's run brought me over 100 books closer to it. What I'd really appreciate from someone at ZOS is confirmation one way or another - "Yes, it's bugged and we're looking into it," or "No, it's not bugged. Here's why."

On a brighter note, I managed to find a campaign on PC NA that had the Alma Ruma gate open and managed to sneak back to grab the two books there. My Military Orders and Reports section is finally complete!
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for my beloved kud-nakal is missing and apparently its only available during frog totem turnaround for murkmire
    Edited by Aliyavana on August 13, 2019 8:40PM
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    does anyone know if its possible to go back to norg-tzel after the quests? or do I need a friend to be there and to teleport to them?
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    does anyone know if its possible to go back to norg-tzel after the quests? or do I need a friend to be there and to teleport to them?

No need. The books are near Jee-Lar outside Stormhold in Shadowfen, where you got the prequel dailies.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still can’t find Dead-Water Riddle Fragment, nor For My Beloved Kud-Nakal. (I tried searching both the camp north of Ruined Village and the lookout point in Lilmoth to no avail.)

I did find the other retroactive Murkmire entry, Vanthongar’s Letter (Plots and Schemes), at the camp on the coast ENE of Sweet Breeze Overlook. It was lit up (unread) and registered in my library without a problem.

I can also confirm getting the two DC books behind Alma Ruma on my AD main, as well as Sealed Imperial Summons where described.

In the hopes of helping others avoid wasting time searching: Sealed Letter and the other Dragonhold prologue books are not yet available. There was a very brief period of time immediately after Scalebreaker was up where the prologue quests were available, but it was unintended and quickly patched. The prologue quests (and their lorebooks) will be released “in the coming months,” per Gina. The good news is that Sealed Letter already has an entry in the Lore Library, so hopefully that will forestall the same issue that Sealed Imperial Summons had.
  • Anne13
    Anne13
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello I am searching everywhere for ‘ the waters of oblivion ‘ Under Daedric Cults.
    Could someone point me in the right direction please. Thanks in advance.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anne13 wrote: »
    Hello I am searching everywhere for ‘ the waters of oblivion ‘ Under Daedric Cults.
    Could someone point me in the right direction please. Thanks in advance.

This appears to be a random spawn from a particular pool of bookshelves. The bookshelves that can contain this book are largely located in Coldharbour: try especially all the ones you can find in the Hollow City, the Library of Dusk, the Lightless Oubliette, and Aba-Loria.

It has also been found on the shelves in Crypt of Hearts I & II, but I’d only recommend checking there if you can solo it or find a group of friends or guildmates who understand you will want to have a look at the books on the way through.
  • G1Countdown
    G1Countdown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for this thread. Did two bookcase runs in IC for two of the books I need. Although, I didn't get it, I'll try again later!
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Support has told me that Letter to Vanus post-quest is located in Bangkorai Garrison. I have tried to find it, combed the place along and across several times, don't see it there. If anyone happens to be there and spots it, LMK please.

Two places I was counting on the most were the Mages' Guild "outpost" (table) where the Order of the Eye Dispatch is, or outside the southern gates where the post-quest Orders for Attius is, but nope.
  • flynntribe
    Lair of Maarselok Lore Books Locations
    Missing - Observations on Tenmar Valley

yu3yue5tdigo.jpg
    hsxn85mfnqus.jpg
    enr1nxrcvpek.jpg
    tujmgqd4j9zf.jpg
    73unpp1gmeow.jpg
    cjmbj0e6m05k.jpg
    zrycmgk1iqcg.jpg
    j8b82568th6v.jpg
    mevwxkejn2al.jpg
    s6evuc1zgrl8.jpg
    cw5p8ao4z8d9.jpg
    ki64bznc96m2.jpg

• flynntribe
    Moongrave Fane Lorebook Locations

svoaqu8k3elx.jpg
    7tw3l59hny97.jpg
    fs0x5nhgy5tt.jpg
    d3bnmoeqm8ou.jpg
    uk8oz5wbqi9n.jpg
    ehve9gu7mj0u.jpg
    svd6q96ph19q.jpg
    y9hdqfthgrpr.jpg
  • MiBlueEagle
    MiBlueEagle
    ✭✭
    got a friend looking for "plots and schemes: quartermaster's note". know it's in craglorn but I cant find any other location help. Can anyone give me a narrower location?
  • MiBlueEagle
    MiBlueEagle
    ✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

I can also confirm getting the two DC books behind Alma Ruma on my AD main, as well as Sealed Imperial Summons where described.

Do you recall where? I do not see them ON the gate as I was expecting. Searching the area now.

found them...both at same camp. Northeast of southern high rock gate...directly on the blue travel line between the 2 bases at the siege range
    Edited by MiBlueEagle on September 6, 2019 1:08AM
  • kwaidan83
    kwaidan83
    Hi there,
    I am having trouble with this book : Folly of man (Illumination Academy). I missed it during the main quest.
    It does not appear in the list of "bugged books" and I cannot find indications on how to collect it… does anyone found it?
    Thx
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the prolonged silence. After Scalebreaker fixed Summons and created the same exact issue with another book (For My Beloved Kud-Nakal) in the same exact patch, having to reinstall the entire game to attempt to resolve some massive performance issues, and going round and round with the launcher as it tried to move the files somewhere other than where I directed it, I needed to take a step back. To the point where I've yet to buy Scalebreaker and just re-installed the PTS this morning (hopefully it stays where I put it this time).

I do want to say that, while I did run through all of Elsweyr on the PTS chasing down books, I don't think I'll do the same with Dragonhold. I did not predict that, or did not predict how much, doing that would hinder my desire to actually run through that content on Live. I've still only done two or three of Elsweyr's quests on any of my toons. I don't really want that again. I will, however, try to continue running down and reporting bugged books as they're mentioned or fixed. To that end:

Folly of Man- Given it's a Summerset book and that interacting with it is required for a quest, it tracks that it'd be bugged, especially if you grouped for the quest. It probably vanishes into the inventory when anyone in the group interacts with it and poofs later in the quest (probably when you set it down.

Letter for Vanus- I searched all over Bankgorai Garrison and did not see it. @MreeBiPolar Maybe support needs to double check and/or be more specific. Why would it be there in the first place?

Dead Water Riddle Fragment- @virtus753 I know you were searching bookshelves in Murkmire for this. Did you ever find it?

Kud-Nakal - Yeah. Just... yeah.

Tome of the Undaunted (unsigned) - Still can't find it. Not even a whisper in Hew's Bane after a solid 500 bookshelves. Does anyone have any more ideas?

@flynntribe Thank you so much for those incredibly useful pictures. However, could you please add spoiler tags to them by putting the word spoiler in square brackets on either side, so it looks like (spoiler)(/spoiler), but with [ ] instead of the parentheses? It makes scrolling through the page more difficult, especially on a mobile device, if there are a lot of large pictures on it.
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do want to say that, while I did run through all of Elsweyr on the PTS chasing down books, I don't think I'll do the same with Dragonhold. I did not predict that, or did not predict how much, doing that would hinder my desire to actually run through that content on Live. I've still only done two or three of Elsweyr's quests on any of my toons. I don't really want that again.

Hells, I thought you did that AFTER playing on live. That's a reason I don't go on PTS... Well, other than not having space on hard drive...
    Letter for Vanus- I searched all over Bankgorai Garrison and did not see it. @MreeBiPolar Maybe support needs to double check and/or be more specific. Why would it be there in the first place?

No idea... But they were quite insistent even when I asked if they are sure and are not confusing it with something else.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @BrightOblivion Thank you for the update!

I have to concur on Folly of Man. I spent about thirty minutes at the Illumination Academy yesterday trying to find a post-quest location, and there doesn't seem to be one. It must have been missed when they fixed the others, which are all lying around the grounds.

No luck on Dead-Water Riddle Fragment so far, but those UESP logs are suggesting that it *should* be in the shelves... I'm baffled. This really needs to be added in the world like its Bright-Throat counterpart. It's one of only three bugged books for me, along with Tome of the Undaunted and now Kud-Nakal.

I've also been searching Hew's Bane for the Tome of the Undaunted. The log records are almost all from easily accessible places (Mages Guild, Fighters Guild, merchant buildings, bank), with the big exception of Fulstrom Homestead (quest-locked). I got myself back in there and confirmed that that location pulls from the same pools as Hew's Bane. So then I figured I'd find out which pools exactly the Hew's Bane/Fulstrom Homestead shelves pull from, since it's more than just DLC-specific books. In addition to Thieves Guild-specific lorebooks (like the Abah's Watch Merchant Lord series), there is a particular collection of base-game books available in Hew's Bane (like Closing the Octal Cage, Cheeses of Tamriel, Persistence of Daedric Veneration, and Darkest Divines, just to mention a few). By comparing the logs for these books, I can add a few more places where this base-game pool appears: the Library of Andule, the Library in Vivec City, and the Illumination Academy stacks, for example. There are others, but these seem to have the largest numbers of bookshelves in the same location, although the shelves also contain that area's lorebooks too (Vvardenfell or Summerset, in these cases). I've been farming both Hew's Bane and these locations, to no avail.

So at this point I'm thinking that the Tome of the Undaunted either got into the Hew's Bane pool by mistake or was in the base-game pool tied to Hew's Bane. Either way, it seems gone now, or at least so unlikely to pull that it's unrealistic to find there. I'll continue to farm, but it's really feeling futile at this point.