Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

5 useful tips to new ESO players.

• DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is what has worked for me — your mileage may vary.
    Having playing on several servers and thus been “new” without any gold or CP several times, I’m fairly organized about the “starting over” process. Please excuse me if I repeat some of the excellent advice that’s already been offered.

1. Do the main quest of wherever they start you out to get oriented. Kill mobs and sell whatever drops to get some initial gold. Wear armor that drops or is given as quest rewards until you can get better stuff. Loot containers and crafting nodes (especially if you’re a subscriber and have the infinite-capacity crafting bag) because being able to craft is a significant money-maker.

2. Join at least one guild (they are often some recruiting in beginner areas) even if you are not social and don’t plan to stay in it forever. You can freely travel to other guild members who are in different regions of the game to get wayshrines. Once you have unlocked a wayshrine, you can always return to it for free from another wayshrine. You might also make some friends!

3. Travel to one of the 3 main alliance areas (Daggerfall, Davon’s Watch or Vulkhel Guard) to pick up the base game’s main quest. Besides being an epic story, this quest line will give you much-needed skills points. Join the main guilds if you haven’t already —the Mages Guild, the Fighter’s Guild, and the Undaunted. Leveling the skill lines in these guilds can be tedious, but you will probably need the skills sooner or later.

4. At level 6, do the crafting writ quests that you can pick up in these cities. Daily crafting writs are quick to do (especially of you’re on PC and can use add-ons like the truly awesome Dolgubon’s Lazy Writ Crafter) and they are an excellent source of gold, especially when you have alts who also do them.

5. Collect skyshards (again, having an add-on that shows their locations really helps) and Mages Guild lore books in every zone you’re in. Three skyshards equals one skill point, and you need skills points to get your class, weapon and guild skills. Every delve has one skyshard, so don’t miss these. Major zone story quests also give skill points. So do public and group dungeons.

6. At level 10, go to Cyrodiil. You don’t have to PVP if you don’t want to, but going there give you a couple of skill points and access to a useful skill for moving more quickly. Speaking of which, upgrade your horse every day—it takes about six months to max those horses out. If you have access to all the DLCs, getting the Blade of Woe from the Dark Brotherhood is useful for thieving (which is also a good source of gold), pickpocketing and murdering, if your character is so inclined.

7. If you run out of bag space, creating an alt is a good place to store stuff. Put it into your bank and have the alt character take it out and into their inventory. Chances are, if you keep playing, you’ll want alts anyhow. I’ve lost count of how many I have!

8. Most of all, have fun!
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Here some things I find out the hard way: (Useful if you have ESO+ or have purchased the relevant DLCs)
    1. On a new toon go to the mage guild 1st thing and join the mage's guild - any books you find you get points. If you don't have mages guild active and you find books you don't raise in the rank.
    2. Go to the fighters guild and join - again you get points sooner.
    3. Complete the craft x6 in your starter zone. Port to Summerset and get the Jewelry crafting. Crafting is a great way to gain XP and cash for early players.
    4. Travel to Gold coast and pick-up the Assassins Guild quest (Go to the dock area near the small boats and meet some lady who will tell you about the Dark Brotherhood). You will also encounter a women as you port into the zone asking you to meet the contact for Cold Harbour quest. Do not start that yet as it will break your immersion alot early in the game. Leave it for later and it will make some sense. Also most Cold Harbour Dungeons and Boss fights are not pretty on low-level toons.
    5. After you have completed the 1st Dark Brotherhood quest - go to the Thieves Den in Cold Coast (Anvil near the wall of city directing opposite lighthouse near the dock) - there you will find Quen to start the Thieves Guild.
    6. By now you should have all the guilds if you have ESO+ and you should hit level 10 about now.
    7. Go to the Alliance War in Cyrodil when you hit level 10. You will unlock the Alliance War skills and +2 Skill points just for showing up.

Enjoy.

point one - Actually you do raise in rank, it just doesn't show until you join. Like any armor skill, say you just started out wearing one piece and don't unlock the line, once you Do unlock the line, the skill will be at the level you have earned. Same works for mages books. If you do the new Elsweyr tutorial, then are in Elsweyr and pick up a book or two before wayshrining to your capital, once you join the Mages guild you will see progress on your Mage skill line.

I noticed you missed the Undaunted guild skill line. You want to that guild early too. Its free XP and gold.

Alliance war at 10 is very good info, just doing the tutorial. It ends up being +4 skill points and you can pick up 2 skyshards without really being at risk.

:#
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SirAxen wrote: »
    I actually disagree that crafting isn't useful. I have found it incredibly useful.

But what if you don't enjoy crafting? Crafting isn't for everyone. And my point was you're going to be able to buy the crafting skill lines eventually? According to the rumors. Which will turn out to be true, to be honest.

Then you must not enjoy leveling up your mount because it is simple. It also benefits your game and your guild.

If your a new player roll an orc crafter. Then have a simple note on which traits you need to learn first for your builds in armor and weapons. This will save you those yummy transmute stones for the most important pieces. For enchanting it is best to do with a friend or another guild member that is maxed out in enchanting.

Also, let your guildies know you are working on a crafter, so they can help you level up faster and provide some of the more complicated traits you need to learn. Do your writs at a guild hall with all the set stations for speed and convenience. Max out alchemy and Provisioning on every character for the passive benefits.

Other important things join a friendly guild. That way you can travel to other players opening new wayshrines that you don't have access to, get help completing content, and help with your builds. If they have a regular trader then it is a good way to make money, as well.

Purchasing 1 month of eso plus gives you the bag for all the goodies and unlocks all the dlcs. If you travel to certain dungeons and areas you get free non combat pets, clothing, emotes, skyshards, lore books, and access to gear. Not to mention you will get more crowns then the price paid for 1500 crowns which can buy you a starter pack that has xp scrolls, food, outfits, and other useful stuff even a mount. Though you get a free mount rather quickly leveling up.

Good purchases are the merchant for selling loot quickly. You can also buy some loot back to later deconstruct but not always. You make some decent money this way too.

The number one thing in this game is be sociable and in a fun guild. Good luck :)

Edited by Girl_Number8 on August 13, 2019 9:34PM
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep - disagree about crafting. Crafting writs are just easy money - and fast with an add on. Especially when you rank up and start getting gold tempers. Having some gold and sellable items coming in on the regular definitely helps in this game.

Research isn’t a quick process but traited items - except nirnhoned- are going to drop all the time anyway so why not throw them up?

I’d recommend google as well - it’s a big, complex game and a bit of knowledge can help a lot.

For that reason, I’d also join a guild. Even the trade guilds I am in give me great game advice today and I’ve played since beta.
    Edited by AndyMac on August 13, 2019 10:07PM
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2. Don't pick all of the loot you come across. Be selective when you first start. Take what you only need. Because if you have multiple characters. That bank is going to fill up fast. And it will cost you 85,000 gold to upgrade it completely. And additional 64,500 to upgrade your bag. And that's not including the additional 12,250 to upgrade your mount. For a grand total of 162,00 to upgrade everything. So make sure you upgrade your bank first.

This is a little misleading. The final upgrades for the bank and bags cost the quoted amounts. That 12,250 number is very old, and hasn't been true for about four years.

It costs roughly 750k to fully upgrade the bank, and upgrading each character to max inventory costs roughly 180k (not counting your mount.)

Fully upgrading a mount (without spending money) costs 45k, though that number is a little more daunting than it actually is, because that will be spread out over, at least, half a year.

I'd actually recommend against upgrading your inventory or bank immediately. You'll receive the first upgrades for free as you level. Characters get their first bag upgrade for free at level 7, and your bank upgrade happens around level 16. (I'm not 100% certain what level the bank upgrade happens at, because this can only occur once for your account.)

If you rush out and buy upgrades, you will not get these free ones, and while the money you're saving (400g for the bag, and 1k for the bank) isn't significant in the long run, it's kinda pointless to waste those funds.
    4. Crafting: Now a lot of gamers will tell you to need to craft. Personally, I feel crafting is just busywork. And I feel it has nothing to do with the actual game. And if the rumors are true about being able to build skill lines. Well, crafting has pretty much become a moot point. Although technically you will have to unlock it one of your characters and max it out first. It's okay if you want to craft, just don't put a lot of emphasis on it.

While I'll readily admit that the daily crafting writs are some of the least engaging content in the game, they are also one of the best moneymakers in ESO. If you need gold for anything, you should be engaging with the crafting system on a daily basis.

Further, crafting is absolutely vital on several fronts. Crafted foods, drinks, potions and poisons will have superior stats to crown purchased ones, and some craftible consumables cannot be replicated through other means.

Durable crafting lines are vital in other ways, allowing you to "correct" the traits of items you find, or allowing you to upgrade lower quality gear to a higher rarity more efficiently.

While I can respect your opinion that crafting is, "busywork," it does offer a significant advantage in most situations. A major departure for ESO from other MMOs is that food buffs are absolutely vital. If you can't provide that for yourself, you'll need to get food from someone else.
  • Lisutaris
    Lisutaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6. dont use ww.
    7. never do it.
  • Raammzzaa
    Raammzzaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I would suggest avoiding the forum until one is at CP cap. By then you should have enough knowledge of the game to be able to sift through all of the garbage threads crying for nerfs just spouting useless trash, and find the few actually useful posts on the forum. In my experience, it takes a decent amount of experience in game to be able to find the signal through the noise on here, and it’s such a fun game that I fear it can be disheartening scrolling trough such an often negative message board.
  • DeepSeaDiver
    DeepSeaDiver
    ✭✭
    bakthi wrote: »
    Use the food you find, or the drinks you loot from tables/kegs. Quickslot and use the potions you find. They can make a real difference. You will need better food and potions later, but the free crap can really help in overland.

^^ This. Entirely fitted with self made purple crafted gear, I've tanked some of the Vet DLC Dungeons in Hard Mode (HM) using the "free crap". People might be surprised what they can do in this game without the "pro/BIS gear" (credit to ZOS). Sure I've moved on to other gear but we all start at zero and anyone can make their own crafted gear.

Personally I would start crafting early on - I didn't and I consider that a lesson learnt. The 9th trait (usually Nirnh.) takes quite a while for Blacksmithing/Clothing (unless you buy heaps of research scrolls from the crown store, which lets face it, most people are probably not going to do).Crafting is so useful - make/upgrade your gear, dailies (gold), master writs. Have fun.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think it is all good advices :/

You should collect everything you can and sell it to the merchant

You should do the crafting research to save you a lot of time later on
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well a lot of time have passed bsince I started but here it goes:
    1. Remember to feed the horse every day, you will get a basic one from level up rewards.

2. When leveling up try to have always at least 1 skill of each class skill line as those will go up only when you have them on your bar. The more skills on bar the faster skill line goes up. Also you should use at least 1 piece of each armor, this way you will eventually lvl up all 3 armors (you never know what you will need in the future).

3. If you play on PC use Dustman add-on or something similar. It auto repairs your eq, atuo junks staff you don't want and save e.g.potions, set items (you can change everything in settings) in general it saves up a lot of time, meaning you can play more instead of micromanaging inventory. In general just thanks to this add-on by simply killing mobs I can make 30-40k gold per hour on cp160 lvl for selling trash items to vendor. It's not much but it's guaranteed income especially good for beginners.

4. Find social guild. People there will share with you with their knowledge, explain many things, help you to get training gear - very often completely for free.

5. If you can't find anyone who would make you a training gear, just use what you'll find during exploration. Don't buy any items. Don't try to farm item sets in dungeons untill you'll reach 160cp. That's just a waste of time or money.

6. If you can't decide will you play magicka or stamina toon pick one of those races:
    - Dunmer (Dark elf)
    - Khajiit
    - Argonian
    Each of those races equally supports both magicka and stamina characters.
    Important! Remember that without Any Race Any Alliance upgrade you will be limited to certain alliances when picking up race, so if you plan to play on certain alliance it would be good to have this upgrade or pick the race that is closest to your preferences.

And many more but I can't write it down right now because of limited time.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Frenchterran
    Frenchterran
    Soul Shriven
    I'm making my way trough all the features of the game and i heard about jewelcrafting.

I heard it was learnable in Summerset ... is it usefull to a new char to go there to learn jewelcraft ? Is there jewelcrafting writs ?
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... advising a new player not to craft... ???????? Shaking my head...

Anyway, here's what I 'd advise to a new player :

1. Don't ask for advice and don't listen to advice. Any kind of advice. The game has everything you need to know and learn "embedded". If you're stuck, observe, listen to NPCs, read the ingame books, use the ingame help. Unlike player "advice", those sources won't spoil you the story or the pleasure of discovering the game, and unlike players' "advice", they won't force you into one aspect of the game or a specific meta.
    2. Take you time. Read the quest, books, look around, get immersed. Enjoy. Don't take shortcuts. Don't listen to people who tell you what the shortcuts are. Be careful what addons you choose to use and avoid stuff like destinations, skyshards or lorebooks. They're excellent and extremely useful, but believe me, you don't want to use them on your first character. Having to look for stuff along the way gives you the best point of view for discovering the game and mastering it.
    3. Don't worry about stuff like DPS until you've reached endgame. Do use all kinds of different sets, don't restrict yourself to the "meta" ones. If you're lost as to where to invest your skillpoints, use the ingame advisor.
    4. Do join a nice guild and do socialize. But don't ask players for "advice". Preferably choose a newer guild, since an old guild full of veteran players is likely to make you want to rush and catch up with them - you'd miss out on everything one enjoys when discovering and levelling.
    5. Beware of the crown store. Nice goodies there but some pure scams too.

Happy discovery of ESO ! :-)
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I’m cp1043 and did not know about the max bank and bag space lol

Edit: seriously?! It caps at 84k?! I know what I’m doin when servers come back up!
    Edited by Bobby_V_Rockit on August 14, 2019 11:57AM
  • bakthi
    bakthi
    ✭✭✭
    I'm making my way trough all the features of the game and i heard about jewelcrafting.

I heard it was learnable in Summerset ... is it usefull to a new char to go there to learn jewelcraft ? Is there jewelcrafting writs ?
    Yes and yes. My alts mostly stay in Vivec City, because I find it most convenient to do daily writs there. But they travel to at least two places immediately. First, to the Rosy Lion to get the Undaunted skill line. And then to Alinor in Summerset. Luckily, one of my guilds has a hall practically next to it, but it's an easy trip anyway.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-jewelry-crafting-guide/

With daily writ rewards giving grains, the more characters you have doing them, the better. If for literally no other reason. But like any daily writs, it provides relatively low-effort income.

Edit: to clarify, you only need to own Summerset (or subscribe to ESO+ now, I think) to do jewelry crafting at any station. The trip to Alinor is only for the certification quest to do the daily writs.
    Edited by bakthi on August 14, 2019 12:32PM
    Army of me:
    CP810+: Breton Templar healer, Redguard stamina Warden, Imperial DK tank, Altmer magicka Sorceror, Orc stamina Sorceror/werewolf, Nord Necromancer tank, Khajit TG/DB Nightblade, Bosmer stamina Necromancer, Argonian Warden healer, Dunmer magicka DK, Nord Nightblade tank
    Second account, CP400+: Breton magicka Warden, Nord Nightblade healer/solo vampire, Bosmer stamina Templar/werewolf, Dunmer magicka Necromancer, Orc stamina DK, Argonian Warden tank
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAxen wrote: »
    I actually disagree that crafting isn't useful. I have found it incredibly useful.
    I agree, no it should not be your first priority for skill points but definite something you should pick up on your main once you have enough free skillpoints.

No crafting your own gear is not the primary objective, you can get some in guild to do this.
    However you need to be able to upgrade equipment, you should be able to break down stuff. Transmute will be nice down the line same with making gear for alts.
    Also nice to be able to make your own potions and food.

You also have outfit styles and housing.

Main point is that research has an long time to get so its smart to start with.

---
    Pick up everything then sell or break down, however its no point in storing gear until you get to CP160, now you want gear who last for some time.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Ozzymandius
    Ozzymandius
    ✭✭
    Get the ESO App from App Store/play store. It is incredibly useful- gives location of skyshards, lore books, crafting surveys, treasure maps and a whole lot more. Extremely useful for console users.

Don’t forget to do crafting surveys - very useful for mats- I don’t bother farming now. Crafting surveys drop from daily crafting writs.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if you aren't into crafting, researching the best traits on the items you are using should be something you want to do. The transmutation station, which you get access to through guild homes or the Clockwork City DLC, only works with traits you have researched yourself. Obviously it's never too late for that, but it would suck if you reach the endgame eventually and then find out that you have to grind gear a lot longer than anyone else because your gear won't drop in the right trait.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting: Now a lot of gamers will tell you to need to craft. Personally, I feel crafting is just busywork. And I feel it has nothing to do with the actual game. And if the rumors are true about being able to build skill lines. Well, crafting has pretty much become a moot point. Although technically you will have to unlock it one of your characters and max it out first. It's okay if you want to craft, just don't put a lot of emphasis on it.

Worst piece of advice ever, sorry. (Well that, and ´let´s invade Russia in the winter,´, or ´let´s chance sorc skills I´m sure the community will be reasonable about it´). Ok that was a bit hyperbolic, but:

As others have said, you need to unlock traits for transmute. Also I can totally see them adding to crafting in the future and it might then literally take you several months to catch up if you start then. The main point about getting crafting levelled early though, is that crafting, or rather trait research, has a ´speed limit´ that can only be circumvented with scrolls. So you want it going 'in the background' as you play.

However, there is a specific way to level crafting in order to get maximum benefit with minimal fuss, if you don´t think you really want to craft:

Do NOT level the main lines initially (the lines allowing you to make higher level gear). Especially if you do not have ESO+. You will just get a clutter of different materials filling up your inventory. IMO there is usually no reason to have the main craft skillines at anything but 1 and 10, unless you are crafting for sub50 PvP or training gear and can´t wait for some reason.

DO decon everything you get except ornates, once you have enough supplies (which is pretty cheap in guild stores). Get the research to 2 simultaneous traits ASAP, and get the 3rd eventually. Research literally works when you sleep. Try to get the traits you want researched early on, but keep the slots filled. Just by trash gear from guild traders if you lack that infused armor piece for research.

You can keep purple and gold pieces until you´ve levelled the extraction skills in order to get more tempers out of them (not strictly sure about that TBH, but I think it´s how it works. I´ve levelled them so I don´t care at this point ;) ).

DO get above lvl 10 on the skill levels (so you don´t have to do the crafting certification quests, unless you really want to), then get certifications and do the writs - at least if you are on PC and can get the auto-writ crafting addon.

Oh, speaking of which, if you have a console, sell it and get a PC.
    Edited by MaleAmazon on August 14, 2019 3:13PM
  • deviousthevile
    deviousthevile
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing I disagree with is the crafting. It's not all crafting, but Provisioning and Alchemy should be done on every character to take advantage of the passives that grant more time on food/drink buffs from provisioning, and the passive in alchemy that extends the duration of applied potion effects to the point that the bonus like Major Sorcery, are active longer than the potions cooldown. Potions have a 45 second cooldown, with maxed passive( I forget the name), potion effects last 47.6 seconds.
    CP 1220
    Devious The Vile Lv 50 Stamblade
    The Elven Terror Lv 50 PvP Support Healplar
    Kintao Doombringer Lv 50 MagSorc
    Healz Ur Bum Lv 50 Healplar
    Toby the Fat Node Hunter Lv 50 Stamina DK (Farmer)
    Something Disgusting Lv 50 Stamden
    You Hit my Splodey Button Lv 50 Blazing Shield Templar Tank
    Kyo Kane Lv 50 Magblade
    Watch Me Burn Lv 50 MagDK
    R N Geesus Lv 50 Stamblade
    Rampage the Vile Lv 50 Stamblade
    Backslash Playdead Lv 50 Healcro
    Sallidadna of House Vile Lv 50 Stamcro
    Hand of the Night King Lv 50 Magcro
    Fróstβíté Lv 40 Ice Warden
    Bella av Cava Vile Lv 24 MagSorc
    Storc the Orc Stam Sorc Lv 50 StamSorc

• MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. Even if you don’t plan on crafting at the moment, start researching traits straight away. If you change your mind down the track and decide to level up your crafting then you’ll appreciate the head start in trait research as it’s an enormous time sink. Also you’ll need traits researched to transmute gear.
    2. Feed your horses every day. Like researching traits, it’s a massive time sink, start sooner, finish sooner.
    3. Pick up everything and sell what you don’t need.
    4. After you hit level 10, queue for a random normal group dungeon every day, it gives you a monster XP bonus.
    5. Join the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild immediately so you can start leveling up the skill line and use the skills. No reason not too.
  • January1171
    January1171
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting is one of the best ways to earn money in-game, and avoiding spending money in game
    1) Deconstruct everything you get. It will make leveling crafting easier.
    2) START YOUR CRAFTING RESEARCH EARLY this is the thing I regret the most. It took me months to start my research. Without research scrolls, it will take a MINIMUM of a year to learn all the traits.
    3) Do your writs. You can earn 4.6k gold per day for a maxed out crafter, not to mention the mats you get.
    Join a guild/go to twitch. There are tons of players that are super welcoming and friendly and will answer any question you have.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curiously... as soon as a long line of people disagree with the crafting "advice", the OP is nowhere to be found, and no longer attacking the people who disagree with them... :smile:

That said... if less people do crafting, that means less materials in the supply chain, which will raise the price, which means more for me to make, since I will continue to do them... decisions, decisions...

Anyways... back to doing writs on my 36 characters... The 14 million a month I make in profit is enjoyable, so I can buy anything I need :smile:
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Curiously... as soon as a long line of people disagree with the crafting "advice", the OP is nowhere to be found, and no longer attacking the people who disagree with them... :smile:

That said... if less people do crafting, that means less materials in the supply chain, which will raise the price, which means more for me to make, since I will continue to do them... decisions, decisions...

Anyways... back to doing writs on my 36 characters... The 14 million a month I make in profit is enjoyable, so I can buy anything I need :smile:

No. I am simply defending my position on crafting.
    Edited by SocialAssassin on August 14, 2019 6:21PM
    “I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    AndyMac wrote: »
    Yep - disagree about crafting. Crafting writs are just easy money - and fast with an add on. Especially when you rank up and start getting gold tempers. Having some gold and sellable items coming in on the regular definitely helps in this game.

Research isn’t a quick process but traited items - except nirnhoned- are going to drop all the time anyway so why not throw them up?

I’d recommend google as well - it’s a big, complex game and a bit of knowledge can help a lot.

For that reason, I’d also join a guild. Even the trade guilds I am in give me great game advice today and I’ve played since beta.

What if you're on console? There is no add on's that I am aware of?
    “I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    Nice post :)

I will say that if you do choose to craft you can make a fair bit of money doing writs.... I didn’t learn this till three years in.... :#

• Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AndyMac wrote: »

What if you're on console? There is no add on's that I am aware of?

If you are on console you should still do them, it's just a bit slower. With Summerset, I find that Alinor is by far the quickest place to craft writs.
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    Crafting is great for people that enjoy boring and repetitive tasks. How is that fun? I would rather be playing the base game. Then craft.
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

14 million a month? Sure. So when do you actually play the base game? That sounds like work to me. And the last time I checked gaming was about having fun. I guess you consider "crafting" fun then.
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    2. Don't pick all of the loot you come across. Be selective when you first start. Take what you only need. Because if you have multiple characters. That bank is going to fill up fast. And it will cost you 85,000 gold to upgrade it completely. And additional 64,500 to upgrade your bag. And that's not including the additional 12,250 to upgrade your mount. For a grand total of 162,00 to upgrade everything. So make sure you upgrade your bank first.

This is a little misleading. The final upgrades for the bank and bags cost the quoted amounts. That 12,250 number is very old, and hasn't been true for about four years.

It costs roughly 750k to fully upgrade the bank, and upgrading each character to max inventory costs roughly 180k (not counting your mount.)

Fully upgrading a mount (without spending money) costs 45k, though that number is a little more daunting than it actually is, because that will be spread out over, at least, half a year.

I'd actually recommend against upgrading your inventory or bank immediately. You'll receive the first upgrades for free as you level. Characters get their first bag upgrade for free at level 7, and your bank upgrade happens around level 16. (I'm not 100% certain what level the bank upgrade happens at, because this can only occur once for your account.)

If you rush out and buy upgrades, you will not get these free ones, and while the money you're saving (400g for the bag, and 1k for the bank) isn't significant in the long run, it's kinda pointless to waste those funds.
    4. Crafting: Now a lot of gamers will tell you to need to craft. Personally, I feel crafting is just busywork. And I feel it has nothing to do with the actual game. And if the rumors are true about being able to build skill lines. Well, crafting has pretty much become a moot point. Although technically you will have to unlock it one of your characters and max it out first. It's okay if you want to craft, just don't put a lot of emphasis on it.

While I'll readily admit that the daily crafting writs are some of the least engaging content in the game, they are also one of the best moneymakers in ESO. If you need gold for anything, you should be engaging with the crafting system on a daily basis.

Further, crafting is absolutely vital on several fronts. Crafted foods, drinks, potions and poisons will have superior stats to crown purchased ones, and some craftible consumables cannot be replicated through other means.

Durable crafting lines are vital in other ways, allowing you to "correct" the traits of items you find, or allowing you to upgrade lower quality gear to a higher rarity more efficiently.

While I can respect your opinion that crafting is, "busywork," it does offer a significant advantage in most situations. A major departure for ESO from other MMOs is that food buffs are absolutely vital. If you can't provide that for yourself, you'll need to get food from someone else.

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9526/~/how-much-does-it-cost-to-upgrade-the-number-of-bag-slots-and-the-number-of-bank
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    MaleAmazon wrote: »
    Crafting: Now a lot of gamers will tell you to need to craft. Personally, I feel crafting is just busywork. And I feel it has nothing to do with the actual game. And if the rumors are true about being able to build skill lines. Well, crafting has pretty much become a moot point. Although technically you will have to unlock it one of your characters and max it out first. It's okay if you want to craft, just don't put a lot of emphasis on it.

Worst piece of advice ever, sorry. (Well that, and ´let´s invade Russia in the winter,´, or ´let´s chance sorc skills I´m sure the community will be reasonable about it´). Ok that was a bit hyperbolic, but:

As others have said, you need to unlock traits for transmute. Also I can totally see them adding to crafting in the future and it might then literally take you several months to catch up if you start then. The main point about getting crafting levelled early though, is that crafting, or rather trait research, has a ´speed limit´ that can only be circumvented with scrolls. So you want it going 'in the background' as you play.

However, there is a specific way to level crafting in order to get maximum benefit with minimal fuss, if you don´t think you really want to craft:

Do NOT level the main lines initially (the lines allowing you to make higher level gear). Especially if you do not have ESO+. You will just get a clutter of different materials filling up your inventory. IMO there is usually no reason to have the main craft skillines at anything but 1 and 10, unless you are crafting for sub50 PvP or training gear and can´t wait for some reason.

DO decon everything you get except ornates, once you have enough supplies (which is pretty cheap in guild stores). Get the research to 2 simultaneous traits ASAP, and get the 3rd eventually. Research literally works when you sleep. Try to get the traits you want researched early on, but keep the slots filled. Just by trash gear from guild traders if you lack that infused armor piece for research.

You can keep purple and gold pieces until you´ve levelled the extraction skills in order to get more tempers out of them (not strictly sure about that TBH, but I think it´s how it works. I´ve levelled them so I don´t care at this point ;) ).

DO get above lvl 10 on the skill levels (so you don´t have to do the crafting certification quests, unless you really want to), then get certifications and do the writs - at least if you are on PC and can get the auto-writ crafting addon.

Oh, speaking of which, if you have a console, sell it and get a PC.

Why? Because you don't agree with it? I don't agree with your advice.