The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

5 useful tips to new ESO players.

• MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why? Because you don't agree with it? I don't agree with your advice.

You start a thread to give out 'useful tips' and you put in a really *un*useful, if not directly wrong, tip.
    Crafting is great for people that enjoy boring and repetitive tasks.

Crafting with addon literally takes one click at the crafting station. While I can listen to the radio, eat breakfast, whatever. Daily writs give gold and XP, as well as useful items like recipes so you can craft your own blue / purple food, which is really useful for questing (or would be if questing was harder).

And I would imagine sitting in zone chat typing "someone pls craft me Hunding´s gear", as well as grinding for item traits since you didn´t research them for transmute, are far more boring and repetitive tasks.

And one 'useful tip' would be to get ESO for PC rather than console, since PC gets better performance (judging by the threads from console people), you can alttab to useful sites like UESP, you get content before consoles, and you can work around some of the more egregious UI problems with addons.
  • _Medusa_
    _Medusa_
    ✭✭✭

What helped me immensely in the beginning was Dottz's Complete Beginners Guide. Below is his latest.

(Instead of watching the entire 3 hours, he also has time stamps in the video's description.)

Elder Scrolls Online Complete Beginner Guide (Elsweyr Patch):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYcfm1Na5so

Edited by _Medusa_ on August 14, 2019 7:44PM
  • bakthi
    bakthi
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't research at least the good traits, how do you transmute your gear to good traits? When I started the game, I read advice to start trait research ASAP. I would be kicking myself if I hadn't.

If you don't do daily writs, how do you get money for things like bag expansions, better gear, etc. (especially since you will have to buy any crafted gear like Hunding's, Julianos, etc. instead of making it yourself)?

Basically, you will probably have to eventually do some kind of repetitive task (farm, whatever) in order to make your character better. There are some real advantages to choosing crafting. Likewise, there are some real disadvantages to not at least doing Provisioning, Alchemy, and researching the good traits. Not doing those will directly impact "actually playing the game".
    Army of me:
    CP810+: Breton Templar healer, Redguard stamina Warden, Imperial DK tank, Altmer magicka Sorceror, Orc stamina Sorceror/werewolf, Nord Necromancer tank, Khajit TG/DB Nightblade, Bosmer stamina Necromancer, Argonian Warden healer, Dunmer magicka DK, Nord Nightblade tank
    Second account, CP400+: Breton magicka Warden, Nord Nightblade healer/solo vampire, Bosmer stamina Templar/werewolf, Dunmer magicka Necromancer, Orc stamina DK, Argonian Warden tank
  • david_m_18b16_ESO
    david_m_18b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW so many bad advices for s 5 pts list.

2. Pick all the loots, its free money
    4. Crafting is probably the most profitable activity you can do in game for the least amonth of time spent. Even if you dont sell anything that you craft.

Just the decreased amonth of plating required to upgrade your gear will make you save millions in the long run.
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    use dots
    use purge
    join zerg
    dont read forums
    roleplay that all is well
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pro tip:
    Uninstall
  • Chill_dawg
    Chill_dawg
    Soul Shriven
    Have to disagree as well about the crafting. If you're not going to craft AND you choose not to join a guild, you're going to have some issues later in the game.

Aside from the daily rewards stuff which you should log in to collect every day, I would disregard everything in the OP.

It is one person's opinion based on how they like to play the game, it's not objective advice for all new players.

If you are new:

1. Craft or join a guild. You really can't get by without one of these things and unless you really hate crafting, you should really do both. Crafting pays you money and saves you money later in the game when you can craft your own stuff.

2. Train your mount daily.

3. Join the Mage/Fighters/Undaunted guilds as quickly as possible.

4. Collect sky shards

5. The game will recommend how to set up your character if you are new. You can Google if you want to, but that is a mixed bag as there is a lot of bad info out there.

Bonus Tip: Don't worry about the META. Figure out what's fun for you and do that. Don't try to play the game the way someone else says you have to play it. Have fun.
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    WoW so many bad advices for s 5 pts list.

2. Pick all the loots, its free money
    4. Crafting is probably the most profitable activity you can do in game for the least amonth of time spent. Even if you dont sell anything that you craft.

Just the decreased amonth of plating required to upgrade your gear will make you save millions in the long run.

I have an idea why don't make your own thread? That way I can tell you how bad it is?
    “I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    MaleAmazon wrote: »
    Why? Because you don't agree with it? I don't agree with your advice.

You start a thread to give out 'useful tips' and you put in a really *un*useful, if not directly wrong, tip.
    Crafting is great for people that enjoy boring and repetitive tasks.

Crafting with addon literally takes one click at the crafting station. While I can listen to the radio, eat breakfast, whatever. Daily writs give gold and XP, as well as useful items like recipes so you can craft your own blue / purple food, which is really useful for questing (or would be if questing was harder).

And I would imagine sitting in zone chat typing "someone pls craft me Hunding´s gear", as well as grinding for item traits since you didn´t research them for transmute, are far more boring and repetitive tasks.

And one 'useful tip' would be to get ESO for PC rather than console, since PC gets better performance (judging by the threads from console people), you can alttab to useful sites like UESP, you get content before consoles, and you can work around some of the more egregious UI problems with addons.

When it comes to gaming his their own opinion. This is simply because I am against crafting.
    Edited by SocialAssassin on August 15, 2019 12:06AM
    “I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    You try and be helpful. And all you do is get criticized for it. Let's be honest here, you don't like what I said about crafting. I don't like crafting and I never will. You know why? Because it's designed to pad out the game. How many of you actually do quests? Finish the main storyline? I am willing a lot of you haven't even played the main game? Because of your way too busy crafting. Crafting absolutely nothing to with the main game. It doesn't affect quests and how much gold you get. When completing that quest. It doesn't affect the overall story of the game. It's not like an NPC is going to say to you "Cool Sword" here is some extra gold. Or here is some extra XP. It's busywork, boring and basically a job!
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You try and be helpful. And all you do is get criticized for it. Let's be honest here, you don't like what I said about crafting. I don't like crafting and I never will. You know why? Because it's designed to pad out the game. How many of you actually do quests? Finish the main storyline? I am willing a lot of you haven't even played the main game? Because of your way too busy crafting. Crafting absolutely nothing to with the main game. It doesn't affect quests and how much gold you get. When completing that quest. It doesn't affect the overall story of the game. It's not like an NPC is going to say to you "Cool Sword" here is some extra gold. Or here is some extra XP. It's busywork, boring and basically a job!

You may try to be helpful, but you're giving wrong advice, which is harmful.

You may dislike the Atlantic Ocean, and explain over and over why you hate it, but that's still no reason to advise travellers from Paris to New-York to travel Eastwards. It's simply wrong. Advising new players to avoid crafting is wrong. That's all. Just like advising them to not pick up loot is wrong. Just like advising them to look for info outside of the game is wrong.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on August 15, 2019 9:57AM
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I disagree somewhat with that list.

1. Join a guild. Trusting Google to teach you the game is Russian Roulette. There is a lot of outdated information out there, dead fan sites. No source is perfect though.
    2. Put gold into bank space. then loot everything to gain more gold. Rinse and repeat. My focus when I started this game was expand bag and bank space. I did not repair or buy gear. I just used dropped gear.
    3. Yes, Daily rewards are good.
    4. Crafting is a must if you want to be half serious. Those that do not care about the quality of their gear or what trait their gear is can ignore crafting. Granted, it is easy to ask someone to craft gear for you, but they cannot upgrade the gear or change the trait. Even if Zos starts selling maxed out crafting lines you still need them maxed on one character to start with so OPs comments on the subject are careless.
    5. OP is generally correct on this point.

Two points OP is correct on. Two other points seem to be on the extreme side of casual. My comments are based on my experience when this game launched and in some cases all of this was harder. I would suggest following my comments on the first, second and forth points rather than OP's.

But again, join an active social guild. You will find help getting started and figuring things out. In the end you need to do some research on your own and decide what is best for you.

As for what @drkfrontiers says, mage guild books do count towards leveling that guild line even before you enter the guild. This has been tested and known from when the game launched. I am pretty sure this has not changed. Drk, may be able to explain it change since the game launched, idk.

Fighters guild on the other hand does not start counting kills of undead and daedra until you enter the guild.

Edit: links explaining you do get mage guild book credit even before joining the guild.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1921624/#Comment_1921624
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2073330/#Comment_2073330

What if you don't want to join a guild? And again I have learned how to craft runes properly because of the information I have read. If you had read what I initially said. It's all about opinions. In my experiance yes, most guilds are helpful to a point. And I said don't loot everything in the beginning, because you simply don't have the bank space in the beginning. And if you have multiple toons? That bank space will fill up fast. I figured this game out my own. And no one taught me anything. This is a video game and not rocket science. And yes you can ask someone to craft your gear for you? But chances are they want something in return to do so.

"My comments are based on my experience when this game launched and in some cases, all of this was harder."
    Then feel free to write your own post then. Don't be telling people that they shouldn't follow my advice. Because some people do agree with me.
    In the future keep your "opinions" about me? To yourself.
    " Even if Zos starts selling maxed out crafting lines you still need them maxed on one character to start with so OPs comments on the subject are careless. "

I did say you would have to unlock aka max it out first on one of your characters first.

Unfortunately, in this game, if you do not join a guild you severely hamper a major source of gold income. Unless you like to broadcast in chat and Hope someone may online at that specific time and be interested in your item, you will not be able to Sell any of the extra items/motifs/whatever that you accumulate from various events. Even if you don't craft, Selling items you don't need is money. And you Must join a Guild if you want to actually 'put an item up for sale'.

:#
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    Oh hey, crafting lets you create and upgrade tons of gear and entire sets, so yeah, let's definitely not focus on that.

Yes but you have to either buy or find the skill books to do so. And you have to collect the resources to do so. And everyone in the game wants those resources. Especially when most players have multiple characters. And high-level characters to boot. And that takes additional resources.

You dont need skill books to craft.
    Are you thinking of motifs? Thats cosmetic.
    Hundings & Julianos are still pretty ok sets for stam/mag respectively so useful to be able to craft them.

And collecting resources needed is not hard. Especially if do crafting writs. 😉

Sorry I was thinking of Motifs. And when it comes to crafting, sure as long as you enjoy doing boring and repetitive tasks. I would be rather playing the actual game. Instead of running arround and gathering a resource. And what about the people that use bots to farm those resources. And those players that will deliberately run and steal those resources. Before your able to do so?

Wow. I have a master level crafter and its never been boring nor difficult. I'm not certain what you are referring to.

What is boring and repetitive? I can decon my entire bank in 5 minutes. Which, by the way, adds to my resources on the off chance I want to create some gear. 5 minutes doesn't seem to me, IMHO, to be a particularly harsh grind.

If you are Playing 'the actual game', then you are constantly finding resource nodes. They are all over the place and respawn reasonably quickly. If you don't notice them, you probably haven't spent a single skill point in Keen Eye. If you don't like stopping enroute from point A to point be to pick up the free stuff, well that is a personal issue.

What people with Bots do, and whether they are turned in and accounts banned isn't really an issue here. I've never, in 4 years, walked into any area that was completely swept clean and constantly had bots sucking up all the resources. Additionally, on occasion, someone has beaten me to a node. But on other occasions I beat other people to nodes. And there are so many nodes it literally makes no difference.

If you don't want to pick up the resources, thats fine. Just say 'I don't like it, so II don't do it', and that's cool.

But trying to justify your position with these particular arguments is, IMHO, kinda weak.

Gathering resources as you are 'playing the game' benefits you. If you want to ignore the resources, thats up to you. But you are only depriving yourself of resources that you may actually want, sometime down the road.

IMHO

• wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sub seriously eso plus will be your bff. I endured a world of frustration until i got eso plus ...I ve been playing 5 plus yrs 😆I recommend it purely for the endless crafting mats storage bag

The harborage quests reward you blue jewelry and 1 whole skill point. Do not skip those, I'd even do them first thing since they explain the eso main story with you at it's centre...cool aye.

As soon as you create your character go to your faction's main city and visit these places

Opening up skill lines;
    Mages guild join so when you pick up lore books around Tamriel you get mages rep
    Fighters guild so when you do dolmens or kill daedra you get fighters guild rep
    There are also a couple of craft trainers in these guilds that will train you in alchemy provisioning, enchanting, clothing wood,working and blacksmithing. They will give you a couple of very easy quests to get you started.
    Join undaunted they will be at the inn in your faction's city.This will open up their questline and also reward you keys when you star doing pledges.
    Visit the outlaws refuge and pick up the thieves guild quest and the dark brotherhood quest. Joining these secret societies have perks 😆
    You can fence and sell stolen items at any outlaws refuge .
    Look at your map and become familiar with icons that point you to the bank which looks like a treeasure chest and others

You can do the first 3 dungeons at level 10 and there is a dungeon finder just press P key to open this menu

You can also join a pvp campaign at level 10 just press the L key to go to pvp menu and join an under 50 campaign
    I would also do the training quest as it allows you to try out all the siege weapons and after completing this easy peasy quest you get rapid manouvres skill which is a speed buff...gives you 30 % speed buff which is awesome at higher levels.

Sorry i got carried away but tried to keep it in 5 blocks lol
    There are all things i do which help me get my characters ready to face all the challenges Tamriel have to offer ..oh and the fun adventures too 😊😊😊

Edited by wishlist14 on August 15, 2019 8:46AM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wishlist14 wrote: »
    sub seriously eso plus will be your bff. I endured a world of frustration until i got eso plus a few weeks into the game...5 plus yrs ago 😆I recommend it purely for the endless crafting mats storage bag

LoL. The craftbag didn't exist 5 years ago at all. And 5 years ago, subbing was mandatory, not optional.

Advising new players to sub isn't good advice at all.
    First, because you don't have real inventory issues or needs until you start farming item sets - so not an issue for beginners. Second, because it's advisable to start playing the stories in their correct order, which means : no need for DLC access.
    Third, because it implies that the game is unplayable without a sub, which is false and could turn new players away from ESO.

I sub myself because of the craftbag, but I don't think it is as useful for new players as it is for me.
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sub seriously eso plus will be your bff. I endured a world of frustration until i got eso plus a few weeks into the game...5 plus yrs ago 😆I recommend it purely for the endless crafting mats storage bag

LoL. The craftbag didn't exist 5 years ago at all. And 5 years ago, subbing was mandatory, not optional.

First, because you don't have real inventory issues or needs until you start farming item sets - so not an issue for beginners. Second, because it's advisable to start playing the stories in their correct order, which means : no need for DLC access.
    Third, because it implies that the game is unplayable without a sub, which is false and could turn new players away from ESO.

I sub myself because of the craftbag, but I don't think it is as useful for new players as it is for me.

That is your personal experience not mine. I'm not afraid to point new players to eso plus. The days of 'free gaming 'are long gone. Someone has to pay so zenimax employees can keep their jobs. I'm entitled to my opinion. New players are adults that can make up their own minds about what they deem to be useful to them.
    Have a lovely day 😆 Also big deal I made a human error time wise...i still remember getting it early on when it first came out and it changed my game. Again, my personal opinion not yours.
    Edited by wishlist14 on August 15, 2019 12:51PM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is your personal experience not mine. I'm not afraid to point new players to eso plus. The days of 'free gaming 'are long gone. Someone has to pay so zenimax employers can keep their jobs. I'm entitled to my opinion. New players are adults that can make up their own minds about what they deem to be useful to them.
    Have a lovely day 😆 Also big deal I made a human error time wise...i still remember getting it early on when it first came out annd it changed my game. Again, my personal opinion not yours.

Well, expressing an "opinion" and giving a "piece of advice" are two different things. Advice should involve at least some level of objectivity and universal validity. Advising for ESO+ as a main asset for beginners is neither of them.
    Regarding the financial balance of the game, ZOS would probably thank you for the free advertising, but as I said, beware of potential negative side effects like driving players off from the game entirely if they think they MUST subscribe to ESO+. That's what drove me away quite instantly from Secret World Legends, where people explained to me that I'd never be able to XP and gear up properly without a sub. In SWL, the free mode is basically a demo mode, if you want to continue beyond the first levels and zones, you ultimately have to pay. That's not true about ESO, since you can reasonably play the entire game without ESO+.

Anyway, your "advice" comforts me that my main advice (which is, to not listen to any advice and to discover things at one's own pace and to make one's own choices) is correct.
    Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on August 15, 2019 9:58AM
  • Roxie5D
    Roxie5D
    ✭✭✭
    _Medusa_ wrote: »
    What helped me immensely in the beginning was Dottz's Complete Beginners Guide. Below is his latest.
    (Instead of watching the entire 3 hours, he also has time stamps in the video's description.)

Elder Scrolls Online Complete Beginner Guide (Elsweyr Patch):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYcfm1Na5so

His videos are so good and so useful! Helps a nooblet like me lots. ^^
    Edited by Roxie5D on August 15, 2019 12:57PM
  • Jagdkommando
    Jagdkommando
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tip #6: dont play ESO atm, and better to unsub until they fix WHOLE game.
    As a low level player you wont notice anything, but by the time you are top things will change
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The only way a new player would not have inventory issues would be if they were Not picking up resources from nodes, New players will be picking up everything, because they Should, and that short bag will become a huge source of frustration.

Playing the stories in order is good, but playing the main quest line when You have decided you are prepared for it is Better. Starting with one of the newer tutorials, IMHO, is much better than the old 'You begin stranded in the Wailing Prison' having no clue about anything - in character or out of character.

A suggestion does Not imply a resulting Absolute. Suggesting that they sub does Not imply that the game is Unplayable. It Does imply that the game may be more Frustrating than if one had a sub. Which is true. But the leap to 'Unplayable' makes no sense.

IMHO

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »
    The only way a new player would not have inventory issues would be if they were Not picking up resources from nodes, New players will be picking up everything, because they Should, and that short bag will become a huge source of frustration.

Playing the stories in order is good, but playing the main quest line when You have decided you are prepared for it is Better. Starting with one of the newer tutorials, IMHO, is much better than the old 'You begin stranded in the Wailing Prison' having no clue about anything - in character or out of character.

A suggestion does Not imply a resulting Absolute. Suggesting that they sub does Not imply that the game is Unplayable. It Does imply that the game may be more Frustrating than if one had a sub. Which is true. But the leap to 'Unplayable' makes no sense.

IMHO

I haven't said that newbies should be advised to NOT sub. Simply that they shouldn't be advised to sub as one of the 5 main big advices to give, for all the reasons I've already provided, and by which I stand (in spite of your remarks being relevant too).

But I still believe it's better to start with significant inventory restrictions. It makes you look at what you loot, wondering what it is, evaluating usefulness and making choices early. Restrictions look annoying but they're the part of the game's design that forces us to make choices, which in turn are a pleasant part of the game and make our characters "ours". But I wouldn't advise anyone to NOT sub just for this sake.

I don't think starting in the wailing prison is worse than starting with the newer tutorials - but it's not like we have a choice there. I think it's better to start with the base game and the main quest - but that's because that's how I did things and it's hard to figure out how newer players sort out the story in their heads if they start differently. That's why I believe it's better to not give advice and let people manage their own stuff and game, at their own pace. Any sort of advice can only mess up with that. IMHO :-)