Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

5 useful tips to new ESO players.

SocialAssassin
SocialAssassin
✭✭✭
Now I know this topic has been discussed before. I know everyone has their opinion on the subject. So I thought I would my 2 cents, 5 with inflation lol!
Just because you're a noob to this game. Doesn't mean you have to be one. So here hopefully is some actual advice.

1. Google is your best friend. If you don't know anything about this game? Then look it up. Don't be afraid to some reading and research before asking a question in the chat while in-game.
2. Don't pick all of the loot you come across. Be selective when you first start. Take what you only need. Because if you have multiple characters. That bank is going to fill up fast. And it will cost you 85,000 gold to upgrade it completely. And additional 64,500 to upgrade your bag. And that's not including the additional 12,250 to upgrade your mount. For a grand total of 162,00 to upgrade everything. So make sure you upgrade your bank first.
3. Daily Rewards. are your friend. When starting out in ESO, daily rewards are your best friend especially when it comes to earning some extra money. Now granted you get towards the end of the month. But 100,000 is nothing to sneeze at. Especially when you're just starting out.
4. Crafting: Now a lot of gamers will tell you to need to craft. Personally, I feel crafting is just busywork and a job. And I feel it has nothing to do with the actual game. And what I mean by that, is that it doesn't affect quests or overall story of the game. It's not like your going to extra gold or experiance from a quest giver. Because you crafted a really cool sword. And if the rumors are true about being able to build skill lines. Well, crafting has pretty much become a moot point. Although technically you will have to unlock it one of your characters and max it out first. It's okay if you want to craft, just don't put a lot of emphasis on it.
5. Crafting nodes and Loot and Treasure Chests: Now it took me a while to figure out resources will eventually respawn in time. So don't worry if some other player decides to run up and steal that resource you about to get yourself. It will respawn in time. Now loot is different, it's procedural. What that means when you see another player in the same room as you are and they are looting. And it looks like the room has been "picked clean" fret not. You can still loot the room. A little tip: when it comes to things growing back. Logging out of the game and logging back in the game. Is useful when it comes to respawning treasure chests.

So I hope these 5 tips will be actual advice to you as a new ESO player :smile:
Edited by SocialAssassin on August 14, 2019 6:35PM
“I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett
  • BomblePants
    BomblePants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice post :)

I will say that if you do choose to craft you can make a fair bit of money doing writs.... I didn’t learn this till three years in.... :#
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    Nice post :)

I will say that if you do choose to craft you can make a fair bit of money doing writs.... I didn’t learn this till three years in.... :#

Thank you :smile: I will add that then.
    “I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually disagree that crafting isn't useful. I have found it incredibly useful.
  • BomblePants
    BomblePants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s why I’m poor :#
  • Berserkerkitten
    Berserkerkitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh hey, crafting lets you create and upgrade tons of gear and entire sets, so yeah, let's definitely not focus on that.
    Nobody cares about your endless list of terribly-named characters.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SocialAssassin , nice job! :)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    SirAxen wrote: »
    I actually disagree that crafting isn't useful. I have found it incredibly useful.

But what if you don't enjoy crafting? Crafting isn't for everyone. And my point was you're going to be able to buy the crafting skill lines eventually? According to the rumors. Which will turn out to be true, to be honest.
    Edited by SocialAssassin on August 13, 2019 4:23PM
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    @SocialAssassin , nice job! :)

• drkfrontiers
    drkfrontiers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here some things I find out the hard way: (Useful if you have ESO+ or have purchased the relevant DLCs)
    1. On a new toon go to the mage guild 1st thing and join the mage's guild - any books you find you get points. If you don't have mages guild active and you find books you don't raise in the rank.
    2. Go to the fighters guild and join - again you get points sooner.
    3. Complete the craft x6 in your starter zone. Port to Summerset and get the Jewelry crafting. Crafting is a great way to gain XP and cash for early players.
    4. Travel to Gold coast and pick-up the Assassins Guild quest (Go to the dock area near the small boats and meet some lady who will tell you about the Dark Brotherhood). You will also encounter a women as you port into the zone asking you to meet the contact for Cold Harbour quest. Do not start that yet as it will break your immersion alot early in the game. Leave it for later and it will make some sense. Also most Cold Harbour Dungeons and Boss fights are not pretty on low-level toons.
    5. After you have completed the 1st Dark Brotherhood quest - go to the Thieves Den in Cold Coast (Anvil near the wall of city directing opposite lighthouse near the dock) - there you will find Quen to start the Thieves Guild.
    6. By now you should have all the guilds if you have ESO+ and you should hit level 10 about now.
    7. Go to the Alliance War in Cyrodil when you hit level 10. You will unlock the Alliance War skills and +2 Skill points just for showing up.

Enjoy.
    Edited by drkfrontiers on August 13, 2019 4:28PM
    "One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star."
    ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But what if you don't enjoy crafting? Crafting isn't for everyone. And my point was you're going to be able to buy the crafting skill lines eventually? According to the rumors. Which will turn out to be true, to be honest?

Source?
  • SassiestAssassin
    SassiestAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    Good post, I’ll add:

Don’t leave anything in treasure chests though, please. There’s nothing more disappointing than seeing a chest and finding someone looted all of it except for a low level axe.

Also, if someone is fighting a mob near a resource/chest, please don’t take it.

Sell all white level gear/weapons, deconstruct unwanted green and up. Pick a character and start researching traits with them, just in case you ever need to craft something. Most crafted starter sets require knowing 3 traits.

Don’t do vet dungeons until after you hit 160CP. You can do them earlier, but your armor will get out leveled and become useless.

Don’t pay for the crown store vampire/werewolf skills or cure. Plenty of people will give bites for free, and the cure cost 600 gold in game.

Don’t forget to go to the stables every day to level up riding skills.
    *slams a gallon of Respecting Support Roles juice on the table* Take a sip, babes.
  • Edaphon
    Edaphon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

But what if you don't enjoy crafting? Crafting isn't for everyone. And my point was you're going to be able to buy the crafting skill lines eventually? According to the rumors. Which will turn out to be true, to be honest?

Source?

"Rumors", aka no source.
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    Oh hey, crafting lets you create and upgrade tons of gear and entire sets, so yeah, let's definitely not focus on that.

Yes but you have to either buy or find the skill books to do so. And you have to collect the resources to do so. And everyone in the game wants those resources. Especially when most players have multiple characters. And high-level characters to boot. And that takes additional resources.
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here some things I find out the hard way: (Useful if you have ESO+ or have purchased the relevant DLCs)
    1. On a new toon go to the mage guild 1st thing and join the mage's guild - any books you find you get points. If you don't have mages guild active and you find books you don't raise in the rank.
    3. Complete the craft x6 in your starter zone. Port to Summerset and get the Jewelry crafting. Crafting is a great way to gain XP and cash for early players.
    4. Travel to Gold coast and pick-up the Assassins Guild quest. You will encounter a women asking you to meet the contact for Cold Harbour quest. Do not start that yet as it will break your immersion alot early in the game. Leave it for later and it will make some sense. Also most Cold Harbour Dungeons and Boss fights are not pretty on low-level toons.
    5. After you have completed the 1st Dark Brotherhood quest - go to the Thieves Den in Cold Coast (Anvil) - there you will find Quen to start the Thieves Guild.
    6. By now you should have all the guilds if you have ESO+ and you should hit level 10 about now.
    7. Go to the Alliance War in Cyrodil when you hit level 10. You will unlock the Alliance War skills and +2 Skill points just for showing up.

Enjoy.

Solid. I usually do something very similar on a new character myself.
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daily rewards are so good. Getting the crown meals are brilliant. It helps lower levels stay competitive in under 50 battlegrounds
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting is a tough one. Like the OP said, it can be a bit burdensome and boring to get into crafting at the beginning of the game. The problem is that once you get later in the game, and specifically towards endgame content, crafting becomes really important unless you're going to pay for everything in gold/crowns, which will get very expensive.
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    4. Travel to Gold coast and pick-up the Assassins Guild quest. You will encounter a women asking you to meet the contact for Cold Harbour quest. Do not start that yet as it will break your immersion alot early in the game. Leave it for later and it will make some sense. Also most Cold Harbour Dungeons and Boss fights are not pretty on low-level toons.
    5. After you have completed the 1st Dark Brotherhood quest - go to the Thieves Den in Cold Coast (Anvil) - there you will find Quen to start the Thieves Guild.

Enjoy.

Well, thanks :smile:
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭

Source?

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/484297/how-does-buying-skill-lines-exactly-work
    Edaphon wrote: »

Source?

"Rumors", aka no source.

Well considering you do it with Skyshards already. Why not skill lines eventually.

Source?

"Rumors", aka no source.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/484197/the-ability-to-buy-skill-lines
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭

Source?

"Rumors", aka no source.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/485916/the-new-skill-line-purchases-need-a-level-requirement-of-50
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    Keylun wrote: »
    Daily rewards are so good. Getting the crown meals are brilliant. It helps lower levels stay competitive in under 50 battlegrounds

I did not know that? Thanks
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Enjoy.

Every. Single. Time. Best advice so far.
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Source?

"Rumors", aka no source.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/485916/the-new-skill-line-purchases-need-a-level-requirement-of-50

That has nothing to do with crafting and in fact you have to have one character with the skill line maxed to purchase the skill line on other characters. AND it is expensive and purchased with crowns.
  • Edaphon
    Edaphon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Source?

"Rumors", aka no source.

Did you even read any of the threads you linked? Apparently not.

You probably only mean well but you're not helping anyone by spreading misinformation. Ignoring crafting and not picking up loot is just terrible advice.
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭

Source?

"Rumors", aka no source.

You probably only mean well but you're not helping anyone by spreading misinformation. Ignoring crafting and not picking up loot is just terrible advice.

I didn't say to pick up any loot. I said to pick up what you need or can use. Crafting is only important when it comes to end game. But look at the posts that do agree with me.
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭

Enjoy.

Solid. I usually do something very similar to a new character myself.

Based on what I posted.
  • Thorvik_Tyrson
    Thorvik_Tyrson
    ✭✭✭

But what if you don't enjoy crafting? Crafting isn't for everyone. And my point was you're going to be able to buy the crafting skill lines eventually? According to the rumors. Which will turn out to be true, to be honest.

But you need to complete the skill line in order to be able to buy it on an alt. So that does not apply to a new player.
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Enjoy.

Solid. I usually do something very similar to a new character myself.

Based on what I posted.

I agree with SOME of what you posted (not all, but some pretty decent advice) I do disagree with you on the crafting and the Google advice. I would say interacting via zone chat on basic questions is a great way to make new friends in game and get good advice in the process. Google does work, but does not lend to ANY social interaction in game.

Crafting dailies are one of the very best ways to earn a bit of coin for a new player struggling to get their bags, horse, and bank upgraded and should NOT be overlooked.
  • Thorvik_Tyrson
    Thorvik_Tyrson
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, your numbers for buying bag and bank space are not correct. The last bag space upgrade is 65K in and of itself. I dont remember the bank space upgrade but I know that the total is more than the 85K that you quoted.

I started doing the daily crafting writs on multiple characters in order to be able to afford the bank space upgrades and the bag space upgrades. I actually used my ESO+ crowns to buy the extra character slots so that I could maximize my gold input from daily writs. It's a time consumer, but I think it is worth the effort as an easy way to make 2K gold daily on a level 10 character. Like you said, not all people like crafting.

• lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    Why wouldnt I pick up loot that I can sell to merchants as I go to make money? That doesnt make alot of sense to me tbh.

Grab it, sell it, profit.

As for crafting, I dont find it all that entertaining, but not having at least one character leveling up the crafting skills will cramp your access/lattitude later in the game, and is leaving free money on the table.

For PC, highly recommend the add-on LazyWritCrafter (I think that is the name....just find LazyWrit and the answer will pop up in Minion) to speed up crafting to a virtual nil in terms if time spent.
    Edited by lukoi on August 13, 2019 5:08PM
  • Edaphon
    Edaphon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Source?

"Rumors", aka no source.

I didn't say to pick up any loot. I said to pick up what you need or can use. Crafting is only important when it comes to end game. But look at the posts that do agree with me.

That's the thing, though. You can use literally everything.

If not for yourself then sell it. You'd be surprised how many millions you can make from selling "useless" loot.