The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How does buying skill lines exactly work?

Nemesis7884
Nemesis7884
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Will you buy / select individual skills of the line? Or does the whole line have one price? And if you buy the whole line will you only get to choose lvl 1 of one of the morphs or immediatly rank 4 etc..?
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll assume once you've gotten to the highest level of that purchasable skill line, you'll buy it and make any character, like a new level 3, have max level in that bought skill line, with all skills and ultimates at rank one, for a single price and a one time use on that character.
    Edited by Froil on July 9, 2019 4:44AM
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • Vez
    Vez
    ✭✭✭
    Skill Lines for Alternate Characters
    Fully completing a skill line on one character now unlocks the ability to purchase that achievement and skill line on other characters. Once unlocked on your current character, the chosen skill line immediately advances to its maximum rank. All abilities contained within the purchased skill line arrive unranked, allowing you to advance and morph the skill as you see fit.
    • Please note you must log into each character on your account to register your achievements.
    • Once you have logged into each character, other characters will be able to purchase eligible Skill Line upgrades.
    • This new Crown Store offering is located under “Upgrades -> Skill Lines” in the Crown Store.

You don't get any abilities, just maximum rank in the skill line and the base, unmorphed abilities are available for purchase with skill points.
    Edited by Vez on July 9, 2019 5:14AM
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah so essentially worthless since you have to grind both the XP for those abilities, and the skill points required to purchase them.

After grinding 4 characters to 50 and Max-rank in all those lines, it's definitely not worth the crown cost, IMO. I'd much rather spend those crowns on cosmetic stuff, housing, or crown-items that I can sell to other players for gold. Skill lines only take a small amount of time with XP scrolls, and shards are easy to get once you're 50 with a set of cowards gear.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OmniDo wrote: »
    Yeah so essentially worthless since you have to grind both the XP for those abilities, and the skill points required to purchase them.

After grinding 4 characters to 50 and Max-rank in all those lines, it's definitely not worth the crown cost, IMO. I'd much rather spend those crowns on cosmetic stuff, housing, or crown-items that I can sell to other players for gold. Skill lines only take a small amount of time with XP scrolls, and shards are easy to get once you're 50 with a set of cowards gear.

the only exception i might make is mages which is such a pain in the butt
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And undaunted. I hated always having to go through a lengthy PvE grind with each new PvP alt.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Undaunted is horrible too ... just do a search in the forums and you’ll find multiple threads.

I would expect a lot of players to take advantage of purchasing Undaunted ... since many only need the passives and not the abilities.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Skipping the PvP skills and possibly the undaunted one is the only ones I see as even worth considering paying for.

I am REALLY annoyed they keep charging for things like this however.

I hate PvP so skipping that has merit. The others I will just continue to slog through when I need it for access to parts of the abilities maxing the skill line gives me. Having a bow ultimate on my lower level characters would be great for some, but not worth Crowns.
    Edited by FlopsyPrince on July 9, 2019 6:00AM
    PC
    PS4/PS5