Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

People without Elsweyr are creating and playing with Necromancers

Azorean
Azorean
✭✭✭
Didn't see any news about Necromancers becoming free and I think is weird.
People on guild chat are reporting being able to create and play with Necromancers but can't go to Elsweyr.

And I had a guild member trying in a second account without Elsweyr and succeeded. Is it a bug or a feature?
  • Azorean
    Azorean
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno any news about this?
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It SHOULD be a bug.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If so, why report it ?
    PC/EU - PVE 2H stam orc petsorc (meta, what meta?) ww - terrible dps - mediocre player - fun times - free ww bites to whomever asks so don't be shy if interested
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks everyone, we're aware and working on this. And yes, it is a bug.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Itacira wrote: »
    If so, why report it ?

Because its a serious bug with ZOS' new content, and we're required by the TOS to report and then not exploit bugs?
    Edited by VaranisArano on August 12, 2019 5:42PM
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if it has any connection to the Elsweyr intro video popping up when I logged in for the first time today (not owning Elsweyr)

Itacira wrote: »
    If so, why report it ?

Why wouldn't you report it?
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, fixing this is going to be ugly. If they delete necromancer characters that were created by people who don't own Elsweyr then those people are going to be pissed. If they don't delete necromancer characters that were created by people who don't own Elsweyr then people who bought Elsweyr primarily for the necromancer class are going to be pissed.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • ZOS_JesC
    ZOS_JesC
    admin
    Greetings, we've removed a few nonconstructive comments, this is a friendly reminder to remain constructive and on topic when posting. Thank you.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    OUCH That is a sticky mess bug.

On the topic of deleting unauthorized necromancers- (if deleting) Will the inventory on those necros also get deleted?

Edited by Dojohoda on August 12, 2019 5:52PM
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be very interesting to see how ZOS is gonna adress this issue... Class change or just delete?
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    OUCH That is a sticky mess bug.

On the topic of deleting unauthorized necromancers- (if deleting) Will the inventory on those necros also get deleted?

For that matter, Crown Store purchases?

I mean, players ought to know better than to expect to keep their necromancer if they didnt pay for Elsweyr.
  • Tattooo
    Tattooo
    ✭✭✭
    No u
    I AM INNOCENT
  • January1171
    January1171
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Oh, fixing this is going to be ugly. If they delete necromancer characters that were created by people who don't own Elsweyr then those people are going to be pissed. If they don't delete necromancer characters that were created by people who don't own Elsweyr then people who bought Elsweyr primarily for the necromancer class are going to be pissed.

I mean, it really doesn't matter what the people who created necromancers without owning Elsweyr think. It's in the TOS to not "Promote, upload, transmit, encourage or take part in any activity involving hacking, cracking, phishing, taking advantage of exploits or cheats and/or distribution of counterfeit software and/or Virtual Currency or virtual items. In an effort to continuously improve the Services, You and other players discovering exploits, cheats, cracks or other inconsistencies are required to report them to ZeniMax; "

ZOS is 100% within their legal rights to delete those characters
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see what ZOS does...
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • J2JMC
    J2JMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not going to be mad at someone getting free access to the necromancer class if they didn't intentionally exploit. Good for them. Given everything else behind a paywall, I hope they enjoy at least that.

And yes, I did buy Elsweyr mainly for the necromancer class and access to those OP lingering health and stam recovery potions.
    Knee Jerk, L2P, Obtuse, Casual, Entitled, All The Best, unnecessary mention of CoD

Battle leveling for pve content defeats the idea of progression. Remove CP

"Apparently the players are more informed than we are"-Richard Lambert

• Azorean
    Azorean
    ✭✭✭
    Probably they won't delete the chars but will lock them until you have Elsweyr Chapter in your account.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, it really doesn't matter what the people who created necromancers without owning Elsweyr think. It's in the TOS to not "Promote, upload, transmit, encourage or take part in any activity involving hacking, cracking, phishing, taking advantage of exploits or cheats and/or distribution of counterfeit software and/or Virtual Currency or virtual items. In an effort to continuously improve the Services, You and other players discovering exploits, cheats, cracks or other inconsistencies are required to report them to ZeniMax; "

ZOS is 100% within their legal rights to delete those characters
    Oh I agree, but I also guarantee that if they do that people who created unauthorized necromancers are going to be mad anyway. Especially if they bought crown store upgrades for those necromancers, or inventory upgrades, etc.

They should know better, but that doesn't mean that people will actually take responsibility for doing something that they should have known not to do.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azorean wrote: »
    Probably they won't delete the chars but will lock them until you have Elsweyr Chapter in your account.

Actually you're right, that might be the best way to handle it.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    J2JMC wrote: »

I'm not going to be mad at someone getting free access to the necromancer class if they didn't intentionally exploit. Good for them. Given everything else behind a paywall, I hope they enjoy at least that.

And yes, I did buy Elsweyr mainly for the necromancer class and access to those OP lingering health and stam recovery potions.

I would not be thrilled.

Then again, I'm of the opinion that we all agreed to follow the TOS and Code of Conduct and we actually ought to follow what we agreed to. We al agreed to not exploit, to report exploits, to not abuse bugs, and to not benefit from bugs.

Anyone who breaks the TOS and Code of Conduct should not get to benefit from their exploit. (Yes, I'm still bitter that the people who picked up the Coldharbor house for 1 Crown got to keep it despite taking advantage of an obvious bug.)

You don't "accidentally" create a necromancer when you know you don't own Elsweyr.

That's intentional abuse of a bug. No excuses.
  • January1171
    January1171
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually you're right, that might be the best way to handle it.

I agree. I didn't think about that as an option, but it makes a lot of sense. And then it doesn't completely steamroll people who didn't realise the difference (such as new players who don't know how it works or people who thought it was legit)
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let them be mad..
    If they didn't buy the elsweyr dlc they dont have the right to necro chars period.

• Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm not going to be mad at someone getting free access to the necromancer class if they didn't intentionally exploit. Good for them. ...

Is there any way to knowingly create a character class that you never purchased legitimate access to, and not be intentionally exploiting?
    like...are you taking the position that someone is going to meaningfully attempt to argue that they thought the new patch simply gave everyone access to the latest locked class just because ZOS is so generous?
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Azorean
    Azorean
    ✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »

I'm not going to be mad at someone getting free access to the necromancer class if they didn't intentionally exploit. Good for them. ...

Is there any way to knowingly create a character class that you never purchased legitimate access to, and not be intentionally exploiting?
    like...are you taking the position that someone is going to meaningfully attempt to argue that they thought the new patch simply gave everyone access to the latest locked class just because ZOS is so generous?

This could probably work for new players. Players with high CP and playing for a while knows how things work.`
    So necromancer became free and warden a lot older no? Yeah don't be innocent xD
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They should put a pop-up announcement on the launcher that everyone sees, pointing out that this is a bug and that necromancers created without Elsweyr will be deleted. If they did that now, even those created straightaway would only have had a few wasted hours - whether they knew it wasn't intended or not.

Even without that, however, I have no sympathy for those who lose progress in this way, the chances of them being innocent victims of a bug rather than deliberate beneficiaries of an exploit are slim indeed.

• Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is a potential [removed profanity] storm.

Edited by ZOS_JesC on August 12, 2019 6:09PM
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »

This could probably work for new players. Players with high CP and playing for a while knows how things work.`
    So necromancer became free and warden a lot older no? Yeah don't be innocent xD

xgC4lzk.jpg
    Edited by Samadhi on August 12, 2019 6:10PM
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Delete the toons and temp ban the accounts. Might seem severe but I'm not a fan of the "my exploiting is ZOS's fault" attitude.
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandman929 wrote: »

Delete the toons and temp ban the accounts. Might seem severe but I'm not a fan of the "my exploiting is ZOS's fault" attitude.
    Yes temp banning players who are returning and havent played the game for awhile and don't know that necromancers are part of paid content. Smart.
    #MOREORBS
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn skippy but I can't wait for the " I withdrew 2 million gold on my Necro and you guys deleted it" Threads
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nifty2g wrote: »
    Sandman929 wrote: »

Yes temp banning players who are returning and havent played the game for awhile and don't know that necromancers are part of paid content. Smart.

Never said you had to agree. Take it easy.