The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Update 23 Combat Q&A

• Nicalas
    Nicalas
    ✭✭✭
    Why was Veiled Heritance changed and then locked behind a nearly impossible proc condition?
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In what scenario do you think the five-piece bonus of the Elemental Succession set (even after the rework) could possibly be good?

How about Sithis' Touch? Vampire Lord?

Please feel free to extend the question to any other wildly unpopular set.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on August 8, 2019 6:56PM
  • hobicabobjob
    hobicabobjob
    ✭✭✭
    Did you know that the artifact weapons make Cyrodiil lag? Is there anything planned to address this?

If you aren't aware, it's not just any lag. It's really something special. Skills don't fire, people get logged out, light attacks can take seconds to fire off, elemental weapon stops working completely, vigor and shields can take upwards of 6 seconds to register, ultimates stop working, players teleport, attacks either all miss or all land at once, and best of all, ping says '200 ms', which is clearly incorrect.

It happens every single time the weapon comes out.
  • blnchk
    blnchk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a MagBlade main, I too would like to echo the requests to talk about class identity, playstyles and flavour. What is your ultimate design goal for each class and their magicka as well as stamina variants?
    Edited by blnchk on August 8, 2019 7:17PM
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    [snip]

Ok, Ill have a go.

Q1: What was the goal with power surge? If the goal was to give sorc healers a buff then why not add major sorcery to to critical surge? Do you guys consider the skill redundant with entropy? If so did you factor in that usig a class skill over entropy grants other buffs that sorc is now losing out on by being forced to use entropy or pots.

Q2: Do you realize how standardizing aoe dots effect classes that rely on them heavily and how forcing us to switch to other non class skills or other skill harms the flavor of that playstyle.

[edited to remove bashing comments]
    Edited by ZOS_Ragnar on August 8, 2019 7:13PM
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos: If the aim of Update 23 was to equalize skills, then why does Rapid Regen heal for twice the amount Vigor does in a mirrored gear setup, and why does it last 20% longer?
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My question is simple:

Is the combat team OK with the extreme dot rotations that have resulted from U23? Is it intended design for magicka classes to not even use a spammable in PVE anymore? If this design was not intended, are there plans to fix this issue?
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a main MagDK player, my questions are:
    1. Are you aware that the class is underperforming, and has underperformed in PvE as a damage dealer for many years?
    2. There was some changes to MagDK with the Elsweyr update, I'm thinking specifically on the new seething fury mechanic. This mechanic requires you to spam skills that aren't meant to be spammed to get a damage buff, which in turn disappears when you use the intended spammable skill. Are you aware that this new mechanic goes against on how to utilize the skills in the Ardent Flame tree, and thus encourages a behavior you earlier sought out to get rid of, the spamming of skills that weren't supposed to be spammed (for example Twin Slashes + morphs, and Searing Strike + morphs)?
    3. You changed the passive Searing Heat to make sure that the DK DoTs were on par with other DoTs in the game. I wonder why you would do said change on a passive instead of doing the changes on the skill itself? Now DKs have a passive "less" than the other classes that have had their skills changed to be on par with the DoT standard.

I would really like that someone from the combat team would explain how their plans are for the MagDK, if there are any plans at all. Right now the class is extinct in end game PvE except from tanks, and that's not going to change unless something is done.
    EU PC
  • Edwin
    Edwin
    ✭✭✭
    Will the vMA Restoration staff be adjusted due to the changes to the duration of Regeneration?
  • Kilcosu
    Kilcosu
    ✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Why has all feedback regarding werewolf been ignored through the entire PTS cycle for Update 23? A lot of feedback has been made on why these changes (especially the self-heal and pack-leader) are too much. And why aren't any adjustments being made? (speaking from a PvP and PvE perspective)

I would like to second these specific questions regarding werewolf and update 23. some clarifications are needed with as much silence we have been given
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In PVP situations, why does a player in 5 pieces of light armor using melee Magicka damage spells (like a DK or Templar) with a maxed out spell penetration passive generate less damage than a player in 5 pieces of heavy armor with a stamina melee weapon skill?

There is no armor balance in this game. It should be something like this:

Light: High damage, low resistance
    Medium: Medium damage, medium resistance
    Heavy: Low damage, high resistance

Instead, the game offers this:

Light: Low damage, low resistance
    Medium: High damage, medium resistance
    Heavy: High damage, high resistance
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVE dps: what about balance between executes and ST dots?

So far highest dps on PTS is provided by builds which lack executes, despite all stamina classes now have access to it via whirling blades.
  • ItsNotLiving
    ItsNotLiving
    ✭✭✭✭
    From a PvP pov: why has Magicka Sorcerer received nerfs for the past several patches and not received a single buff to its defensive or offensive kit to help compensate for these changes?
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [removed quote]
    Make sure your question is specifically for something coming in Update 23 and you post it by Friday (tomorrow) at 10am EDT. At that time, this thread will be locked, and we'll post replies in a new thread.

Edited by ZOS_JesC on August 11, 2019 6:28PM
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do u have any plans to adjust dk´s engulfing effect(applies only for caster) for the group or give other classes an similiar way to buff the offensive power?

Dont come up with def unique buffs, offensive ones are always prefered.
  • SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why necromancer skill bugs were not addressed:
    - blast bones still hesitates when casted from the distance
    - corpse tethers still hard to target

Mag sorc has no reliable self-heals now
    - bird takes to slots yet has utility of one skill. It also can die and you have to re-summon it. Happens to me in vMA pretty often.
    - Crit surge has very gimmicky mechanics, healer has low crit chance, meaning it;s going to be very unreliable

Double down on healing adjustments and how are we suppose to out-heal Lokke HM & vHOF HM?

Is this intended that healer role being pushed out of any pve content?
    If that is the case why does group finder have required healer role?

• UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will the Console PvP experience be improved?
    Edited by UppGRAYxDD on August 8, 2019 8:56PM
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Blaqmagik
    Blaqmagik
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's been mentioned already, but the nerf to vigor in the last pts patch puts stamina classes at a distinct disadvantage in solo play, both pve and pvp. Magicka healing was given options with the new Mutagen, and Healing Ward. But now stamina has to either be forced into running 2h for a delayed heal with Rally, or into using a version of vigor that costs more, and lasts for shorter than it does on live. What was the thought process behind this change?
  • BennyButton
    BennyButton
    ✭✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »
    Zos: If the aim of Update 23 was to equalize skills, then why does Rapid Regen heal for twice the amount Vigor does in a mirrored gear setup, and why does it last 20% longer?

i could answer this for you - rapid regen requires you to sacrifice a weapon slot (i.e resto staff) vigor doesn't. hope this helps :)
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will the console version of U23 contain bug fixes for:

Being stuck in combat?
    Rams moving around and through walls?
    Necros destroying bridges?
    Engine Guardian not working?
    Dungeon lag?
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  • WardenOfTheExalted
    WardenOfTheExalted
    ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon,

As a person who has mained Sorcerers for a very long time, I'm very concerned about the major nerfs.

1.Will Clanfear ever be changed to a stam ability? This was just extra, sorry.

2. As a person whose uses a Sorcerer Tank I am very against the cost increase and shield decrease, the Ward has been a life savor for me many times but as a Tank I always have to watchful of my resources carefully but I know I'm not the only one who uses this as a tank. Basically a double nerf... From Alcast's words.

3. I am very concerned about the Power Surge change. Why was this even a thing? Who thought this would be a great idea. I myself also run a Sorcerer Healer. Is the team going to implement Major Sorcery on Critical Surge??? This was never explained to us, it was just posted about in the Change Forum. DO NOT CHANGE THIS AT ALL. Mag-Sorcs rely on this. its not meant for healing period.

4. I don't under stand why the team is nerfing Sorcerer Pets so much this is a ridiculous amout, why? Just why? Almost 70%???

Why does this patch seem to favor PVPers more. I'm not a PVPer I absolutely dislike Cyrodil. Why does the PVEers have suffer for because of the of the PVPers? Sorcerers have continued to just be absolutely destroyed almost every patch this not fair to those who love Sorcerers. also the healing I've seen in videos good and all I can say is "meh".. Many individuals and myself don't follow META build guides at all, players have made good and unique DPS, Healers, and Tanks out of theory crafting and etc... Damage shield stacking I don't understand why this is a bad idea. PVP is competitive you need an edge in a fight, there are no fair fights in Cyrodil/Battlegrounds. all I can say is that these patches have unsettled a lot of people, as you can clearly tell from the forums.

Thank you for your time
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How come it’s taken this long for Bash Necro to get patched for console?!
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Healing has taken some huge hits this update, both to raw healing output as well as level of interaction and skill level, in particular a healers ability to look after a group spread over a wide area.

How are you guys going to be monitoring the PvE healing situation going forward?

I'm really glad that a bunch of previously useless skills such as degeneration and soul trap actually useful, however they are over shadowing a lot of class skills. Are there plans to bring back some diversity to PvE?

Are there a set of metrics you use to gauge the success of the changes made?

While I like the thinking behind the power surge change, can we have a last minute change to add major sorcery to all skills and morphs?
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will there ever be a customizable extra skill bar like Overload's again? I'm guessing "No; we don't want to bother developing that any more", but hearing that explicitly would save a fair amount of forum discussion.
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why did sets like Trollking, Blackrose resto and Blackrose Dual Wield didn't get the same treatment as pirate skeleton or nightflame when they're on the same power level?

Why is light and medium armor still tied to regeneration modifiers which requires huge investment to match the 250 regen heavy armor offers via constitution while constitution even grants magicka and stamina sustain?

(In the past we've seen the same thing with bosmer the 21% stamina regen bonus only exceeds the current flat value if you had a regen of 2.6k which comes at the cost of other investments)

Why did stamina healing get a huge reduction during pts, while the overall damage got increased by a lot?

Why did dots and hots got a huge increase which made direct damage abilities a lot worse in comparison.

Why were the bugs related to jabs and potl not touched? Mainly talking about their overly high damage reduction from CP and the fact that jabs are still reduced by evasion while things like curse got changed to ignore it.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    - Does the combat team intend to address the position desync bugs (both rollback and character stuck for others whilst appearing to the player to be moving) which will be present in U23? If not are you at least aware of them/actively attempting to resolve them?
    - How does the combat team expect fighting in cyrodiil to be affected by their changes, are there any goals behind the changes to healing and buffs to AOE in terms of cyrodiil combat if so what are they and what is the vision for cyrodiil pvp combat going forward?
    - How does the combat team envision U23's homogenising of abilities encourages diversity when picking classes for raids in both pvp and pve?

2 additional questions if you have time to ask teams other than combat :)
    - Can we have an update on how you feel the faction lock system is being received by players. For example based on your internal population metrics?
    - Are you satisfied with the current implementation of Volendrung?
    Edited by Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO on August 8, 2019 10:43PM
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please explain the thought process behind buffing single target dots in the same patch as nerfing survival from light and medium builds (shields, protective, 4sec vigor, Momentum HoT, etc).

If the intent of reducing the viability of light and medium armor in PVP is that PVP = heavy armor, why does magicka have such lackluster heavy sets? (Ice Furnace anyone?)

Edited by NBrookus on August 8, 2019 10:32PM
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »

i could answer this for you - rapid regen requires you to sacrifice a weapon slot (i.e resto staff) vigor doesn't. hope this helps :)

It also is not guaranteed to heal you. It could heal anyone around you. It'd be nice if I could force it on me like vigor, but I can't.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Does the team look at how a skill performs in the hand of individual classes, before making a determination wheter its too strong or weak?
    Vigor as a skill is insanely powerful on for example stamina dragonknights, due them having lots of healing modifiers, and beacuse the class generally doesnt need much sustain.
    That does not make Vigor an overpowered skill in the hands of other classes. In fact some stam classes dont get much healing out of their class tree at all, and so the latest nerf to vigor and the loss of heal from momentum is going to hurt them more than for example stamina dragonknights.
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how are you making healers play intelligently, vs. running hot/buff/debuff rotos like a dps, burst healing when necessary.
This discussion has been closed.