Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tank Resistance

theHOF123
theHOF123
Hi all,

I'm running a warden tank. Since this is my first level capped character I decided to turn to Alcast to see what builds were suggested. I'm currently running a Torug's Pact set and the Ebon Armor set. For my helm/shoulder I'm using Bloodspawn.

Right now with full enchants and all purple gear I'm capped at around 30K health without food and buffs and 15K magicka 20K stamina.

My primary concern is my spell and physical resistance is too low with these sets? I'm sitting at 18.5K spell res. and 15.5K physical res. I do use ice fortress for an additional 5.5K buff basically on these at all times. But still that puts me at about 23K spell resistance and 21K physical resistance.

Is this too low? I know the cap is 33K and I'm a bit concerned. With food I'm at about 38K health and once I fully upgrade everything and switch a few traits around I should be over 40K health.

I was debating on switching the Bloodspawn set for Mighty Chudan for the additional resistance. That set would give me about 8.5K additional resistance for each putting me at about 31 and 29K with ice fortress up.

Thanks.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    30K HP is a little low, i shoot for at least 36 on my tanks.

Resist are also a little low, are you looking at them on your sword and shield bar, or on the bar where you have a staff equipped?

you dont really need to care too much about hitting the cap as there are other things that are more important. As a general rule i try to have at least 25k each.
  • theHOF123
    theHOF123
    Krayl wrote: »
    30K HP is a little low, i shoot for at least 36 on my tanks.

Resist are also a little low, are you looking at them on your sword and shield bar, or on the bar where you have a staff equipped?

you dont really need to care too much about hitting the cap as there are other things that are more important. As a general rule i try to have at least 25k each.

I'm currently CP 260. should have noted that as well, I'm assuming more champion points might eventually increase my health in addition to upgrading gear from purple to gold.

with sword and shield im at 31K health 22K spell and 19K physical. I'm so used to running around with my staff I forgot to look with the sword and shield haha
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    first off,
    I was debating on switching the Bloodspawn set for Mighty Chudan for the additional resistance. That set would give me about 8.5K additional resistance for each putting me at about 31 and 29K with ice fortress up.

chudan gives the same named buffs as ice fortress. they dont stack. chudan is a bad set for a pve tank.

set, your stats are all super low. with the stats you say you have, you ought to have around 36k health, 20k mag and stam. along with about 20k resists, without your major buffs. what race are you? i see, you say "without food", you always have food included. food is never mentioned because it is almost always understood to be baked into your stats.

to your question, you want at least 25k resists, with your major buffs up, any lower i would feel you dont have enough. get lord warden. that is 2975 resists from the 1 piece sand 3870 from the proc, which is always up and it buffs your team. that is 6845 for you in the end.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on July 30, 2019 10:49PM
  • theHOF123
    theHOF123
    first off,

chudan gives the same naemd buffs as ice fortress. they dont stack. chudan is a bad set for a pve tank.

set, your stats are all super low. with the stats you say you have, you ought to have around 36k health, 20k mag and stam. along with about 20k resists, without your major buffs. what race are you? i see, you say "without food", you always have food included. food is never mentioned because it is almost always understood to be baked into your stats.

to your question, you want at least 25k resists, with your major buffs up, any lower i would feel you dont have enough. get lord warden. that is 2975 resists from the 1 piece sand 3870 from the proc, which is always up and it buffs your team. that is 6845 for you in the end.

Didn't know that about chudan, I have the lord warden shoulder piece already so I can grind the helm and replace bloodspawn with that. I do like how it buffs the group as well.

When I use my food buff I sit at 36K health, 19K magicka, and 24K stamina. Also sitting at 22K spell resistance 19.5K physical. I didn't realize I was on my staff before when I initially posted stats. With ice fortress up I'm at 27K spell resistance and 24K physical.

With Lord Warden that would push me up to roughly 29K spell and 26K physical roughly without ice fortress. If it stacks (not sure if it does) I'd hit 33K spell and 30K physical.

I'm an orc.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off it all depends on what you intend to tank. For most dungeons, including vet dungeons, 30k max health is just fine. Regardless, you already have that with food so you will be closer to 34k/35k when you have food depending on what you use.

If you are interested in some of the newer and more challenging content you can even be good going for more max health than that but probably best to get your feet wet first.

As for resistance, do not stress it to much. As you gain CP you will get more resistance easily and tank builds have not focused or tried to reach the resistance caps for a few years now.

While I do have and sometimes use Bloodspawn I certainly do not use it for the added resistance as it is very unpreliable due ot the low proc chance. Chudan gives you what you can easily get from other sources.

1. Lord Warden for added resistance and provides resistance to melee. Has a high proc chance.
    2. 1 Chokethorn and 1 Shadowrend for added magicka regen as most tank builds use a lot of magicka.

There are some other sets worthy of considering but will probably take getting some experience to clear those dungeons. The dungeons for both I have suggested are not so challenging. The second combo is the easiest of them but by all means use Bloodthorn until you get something better and do not rid of it.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    theHOF123 wrote: »
    first off,

chudan gives the same naemd buffs as ice fortress. they dont stack. chudan is a bad set for a pve tank.

Didn't know that about chudan, I have the lord warden shoulder piece already so I can grind the helm and replace bloodspawn with that. I do like how it buffs the group as well.

When I use my food buff I sit at 36K health, 19K magicka, and 24K stamina. Also sitting at 22K spell resistance 19.5K physical. I didn't realize I was on my staff before when I initially posted stats. With ice fortress up I'm at 27K spell resistance and 24K physical.

With Lord Warden that would push me up to roughly 29K spell and 26K physical roughly without ice fortress. If it stacks (not sure if it does) I'd hit 33K spell and 30K physical.

I'm an orc.

it does and sounds like the best for your build.

all your stats are great, you just need to get to 300 cp now, that is when they stop giving you percent amps to your max stats, 20% in the end.

do you use an ice staff? because if you do, you get the almost the same resists as with a s/b.
  • theHOF123
    theHOF123
    first off,

it does and sounds like the best for your build.

all your stats are great, you just need to get to 300 cp now, that is when they stop giving you percent amps to your max stats, 20% in the end.

do you use an ice staff? because if you do, you get the almost the same resists as with a s/b.

I'm currently using lightning staff, however I was using ice staff prior. I could easily craft and switch since I'm using a staff from Torug's Pact. I hadn't tried lightning so I wanted to see the play difference.
  • theHOF123
    theHOF123
    I'm currently using lightning staff, however I was using ice staff prior. I could easily craft and switch since I'm using a staff from Torug's Pact. I hadn't tried lightning so I wanted to see the play difference.
  • Hexvaldr
    Hexvaldr
    ✭✭✭
    I main warden tank. You have a passive that increases spell resistance for each winter's embrace ability on your bar, so how you distribute skills from this tree can help you balance SR between front and back bar. With your current setup, you could invest some red CP to boost your physical resistance. I personally run very close to max resistances for most vet content. My preferred monster helm is Lord warden, which pairs great with ice fortress / expansive frost cloak and Ebon to increase your closer team members' survivability, as well as your own. Experiment and you'll develop your own style and preferred toolkit!
  • theHOF123
    theHOF123
    Azmarul wrote: »
    I main warden tank. You have a passive that increases spell resistance for each winter's embrace ability on your bar, so how you distribute skills from this tree can help you balance SR between front and back bar. With your current setup, you could invest some red CP to boost your physical resistance. I personally run very close to max resistances for most vet content. My preferred monster helm is Lord warden, which pairs great with ice fortress / expansive frost cloak and Ebon to increase your closer team members' survivability, as well as your own. Experiment and you'll develop your own style and preferred toolkit!

Sweet, thanks for the feedback. I really like buffing the group as well since I have been running lots of trials with my guild. I use frost cloak, ice fortress, ebon as well and it's a great combination. Definitely going to be switching to lord warden after this post here since it'll buff everyone including myself and all i'd really lose from my current bloodspawn set is some stamina recovery which I have a large amount of anyways.
  • ATreeGnome
    ATreeGnome
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 27/24k you are hitting with ice fortress is honestly more than enough for most vet dungeons and even the easier vet trials. There are some bosses that will hit hard enough that getting to 33k in spell OR physical resistance is worth it but you'll rarely need both. I would suggest sticking with bloodspawn or 1 chokethorn + 1 shadowrend as your go to setup for now but having lord warden as a backup option. In most situations I think you will find the extra ult or magicka regen to be much more valuable than the extra resistances.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your build is fine. It is exactly what I run on my PVE tank (although I often run 1 Choke+1 Shadowrend for more magic recovery).

While I am not much of a trial tank, I have tanked just about every DLC HM dungeon with it. Also dont forget that bloodspawn does give resist as well. Most PVE tanks I know arent at the resist cap because it's just not needed.

Torgus and Ebon is a great all purpose tank set, and its largely an unselfish setup as both benefit your group. If you run into content you cant handle with it, well there are plenty of more selfish options. True PVE tanks tend to carry a fair amount of gear with them as one setup is not going to be ideal for everything. As to your raw stats, Tri-stat glyphs are your friend on a tank as they give the most total attribute points, which are easy to adjust if something ends up a little higher or lower than needed.

The real test is are you dying every 5 seconds or struggling with resources. If you arent, then who cares what your stats end up being.
  • theHOF123
    theHOF123
    Your build is fine. It is exactly what I run on my PVE tank (although I often run 1 Choke+1 Shadowrend for more magic recovery).

While I am not much of a trial tank, I have tanked just about every DLC HM dungeon with it. Also dont forget that bloodspawn does give resist as well. Most PVE tanks I know arent at the resist cap because it's just not needed.

Torgus and Ebon is a great all purpose tank set, and its largely an unselfish setup as both benefit your group. If you run into content you cant handle with it, well there are plenty of more selfish options. True PVE tanks tend to carry a fair amount of gear with them as one setup is not going to be ideal for everything. As to your raw stats, Tri-stat glyphs are your friend on a tank as they give the most total attribute points, which are easy to adjust if something ends up a little higher or lower than needed.

The real test is are you dying every 5 seconds or struggling with resources. If you arent, then who cares what your stats end up being.

I appreciate the feedback! Also, my character's name is Artem Bearclaw. LOL so this is pretty funny hearing it from you. haha I'm doing well in vet trials.

I did run a DLC dungeon on vet with a guild group and I was getting one shotted by the maze boss (it was one of the werewolf dungeons I forget the name). I think the dungeon was bugged though, I was taking 50K+ damage when blocking and dodge rolling lol

I'm definitely glad I asked, I can begin to acquire some of these sets now as backups for different scenarios. I haven't acquired much other gear yet since I've been focusing on this build. Now that I'm almost fully completed I can spend my time looking for other gear as well.
  • unclesheosnephew
    unclesheosnephew
    ✭✭✭
    Desert Rose/Plague Doc Bloodspawn 35k health 36k mag 17k stam max resists 2600 spell damage. Thats my warden tank, it also tosses orbs and combat prayer just for fun while keeeping mobs attention
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the feedback! Also, my character's name is Artem Bearclaw. LOL so this is pretty funny hearing it from you. haha I'm doing well in vet trials.

I did run a DLC dungeon on vet with a guild group and I was getting one shotted by the maze boss (it was one of the werewolf dungeons I forget the name). I think the dungeon was bugged though, I was taking 50K+ damage when blocking and dodge rolling lol

I'm definitely glad I asked, I can begin to acquire some of these sets now as backups for different scenarios. I haven't acquired much other gear yet since I've been focusing on this build. Now that I'm almost fully completed I can spend my time looking for other gear as well.

My very fist character was Artemis Nightshade, who them become Artemis Bearclaw, who them became Bearblade. haha

And yeah, might find encounters or specific fights that this setup is night ideal. If you get stuck on something specific, ask around and I am sure it wont be too hard to figure out what most tanks are wearing to get passed it.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just gonna chime in here quick, even though there are already quite a few excellent responses (I'll likely be repeating stuff already said here, forgive me).

Due to the way damage reduction works, the more points you put into physical and spell resist, the less effect it has. Both resistances also effectively cap out just over 32k. As a tank, typically, with all your buffs up, you should be aiming for right around that 32k mark - a little higher if you don't expect 100% uptime on your buffs. Chudan is a mediocre set particularly with the warden, as it gives you major ward and major resolve, which is the same buff the warden already gets much easier with an ability (and multiple instances of a named ability do not stack). If you do want to use a monster set for resistances, try using one piece of chudan and another of something like lord warden, in order to get both of their one piece bonuses (which do stack). As far as your other stats, depending on your build you should be fine, even if you may want some higher stats. 30k health (buffed) is the bare minimum for tanks, generally speaking (there are some exceptions, with damage shield builds and so on, but wardens do well with high max health). Max magicka and stamina are generally not that important on any tank, let alone a warden tank. Worry more about how you'll recover those resources rather than having their max high.

Anyway, hope I helped, if only just to distill some stuff down for ya.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi.

I'm not sure I understand why health is seen as more important than resistances. 2975 Physical+Spell resistance should cut damage taken by ~4 1/2%, no?* To a first approximation, that seems a little better than 1206 health. (I'm using standard set bonuses for the comparison.)

*Edit: Wait. Wouldn't the benefit be more like twice that level if you're already near resistance cap??

Further:
    • The resistance approach is more efficient in terms of healing received.
    • The two approaches should be a wash in terms of max-health-based skills.

What am I missing?
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on July 31, 2019 9:11PM
  • Fusozay
    Fusozay
    ✭✭
    Hi all,

I'm running a warden tank. Since this is my first level capped character I decided to turn to Alcast to see what builds were suggested. I'm currently running a Torug's Pact set and the Ebon Armor set. For my helm/shoulder I'm using Bloodspawn.

Right now with full enchants and all purple gear I'm capped at around 30K health without food and buffs and 15K magicka 20K stamina.

My primary concern is my spell and physical resistance is too low with these sets? I'm sitting at 18.5K spell res. and 15.5K physical res. I do use ice fortress for an additional 5.5K buff basically on these at all times. But still that puts me at about 23K spell resistance and 21K physical resistance.

Is this too low? I know the cap is 33K and I'm a bit concerned. With food I'm at about 38K health and once I fully upgrade everything and switch a few traits around I should be over 40K health.

Thanks.

to low.
    this one was warden tank. 55k HP and 33500/33500 resistance. this was PVE tank.
    this one now necro hybrid tank. 35r HP 27000/27000 resistance. less tanky but do some DPS. 12k solo, up to 30-70k on packs.
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi.

I'm not sure I understand why health is seen as more important than resistances. 2975 Physical+Spell resistance should cut damage taken by ~4 1/2%, no?* To a first approximation, that seems a little better than 1206 health. (I'm using standard set bonuses for the comparison.)

*Edit: Wait. Wouldn't the benefit be more like twice that level if you're already near resistance cap??

Further:

What am I missing?

what your missing is that cp 35% comes off a hit then your armor take whatever percent of that.

100k hit -35% = 65k hit at 50%(33k) max armor= 32.5k hit- 50% block = 16.25k hit
    100k hit -35k%=65k hit - 40% (26.4k) armor = 37k - 50% block = 18.5k hit.

so its not a big difference if you have max armor 33k or 25k. All that matters is if you block it or not. If you dont block your likely dead. Cp make armor less effective because it comes off first.
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rungar wrote: »
    Hi.

Further:

What am I missing?

what your missing is that cp 35% comes off a hit then your armor take whatever percent of that.

100k hit -35% = 65k hit at 50%(33k) max armor= 32.5k hit- 50% block = 16.25k hit

so its not a big difference if you have max armor 33k or 25k. All that matters is if you block it or not. If you dont block your likely dead. Cp make armor less effective because it comes off first.

Remember he is low cp... Also ye, health is great, but a lot of great tanks can survive with lower health and lower resists while buffing group
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't listen to people saying you don't need to get to resist cap. While it's technically true, both you and your healers will have a much better time if you do.

Also, the closer you are to the resist cap, the more difference you'll notice from additional resistances. Going from 26.5k to 33.1k resistance is almost a 20% relative reduction in incoming damage. This is often the difference between being able to stay alive by yourself and having to rely on a healer.

P.S. Resist cap in PvE is 33.1k because all NPCs have 100 penetration.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi.

Further:

What am I missing?

It's 39k after resistances with 40% mitigation from them, not 37k, and results in a 19.5k hit. That means the relative difference between the two numbers is:

100 / 16.25 * 19.5 - 100 = 20%

That's a huge difference.
    Edited by ZeroXFF on August 1, 2019 12:21PM
  • Most_Awesome
    Most_Awesome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my DK tank I Pug dungeons so with that in mind I look at Alcast builds and laugh, if you think Ebon and Torugs is going to help light attacking 4k dps then crack on :p

I run Battalion Defender weapons S&B+Random mag regen Ice Staff and Gold Infused Jewellery 2 reduced block and 1 mag regen, then 5 Cyrodiils Crest and Malubeth.
    All sturdy apart from head and chest which are impen as cant be arsed to transmute, Atro Mundus and Im also a Breton
    I sit at around 37k HP 18k Mag and 17k Stam with Tri stat food.

Can block for days and dont need a healer, so they can concentrate on the throbbers standing in red.

But then saying all that if you run with competent people regularly go with Alcast build :D

[Edit]
    Before someone chimes in OMG OP didnt ask for your crap build, the OP is at 260 CP my point for my post is to think out the box and create your own build until you get max CP, and then think about where you want to go Trials/Hard core PvE dungeon runs/Pugging etc
    Edited by Most_Awesome on August 1, 2019 12:39PM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »
    Hi.

Further:

What am I missing?

It's 39k after resistances with 40% mitigation from them, not 37k, and results in a 19.5k hit. That means the relative difference between the two numbers is:

or you could look at the amount actually resisted.

65,000-16,250 = 48,750

65,000-19,500 = 45,500

48,750/45,500=1.07, only 7% more resisted.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »
    Hi.

Further:

What am I missing?

or you could look at the amount actually resisted.

65,000-16,250 = 48,750

65,000-19,500 = 45,500

48,750/45,500=1.07, only 7% more resisted.

7% is not a difference you will see reflected on your HP bar, it's 20%. That's more than you get from major aegis.

To survive the same (number of) hit(s) you could have 33.1k resist and 40k HP or 26.5k resist and 48k HP. Ask your healer, which tank he prefers to heal after he does Frostvault hm with both.
  • theHOF123
    theHOF123
    I like where this thread is going now. Lol

Obviously there's a lot of different opinions here. I typically do have the ability to run with a viable group any given day for vet dungeons, etc. My primary concern was that I'd be holding them back but it seems like it's not necessarily the case with the build I currently run. (which is a good thing).

And obviously there's some give or take with replacing my current sets with some of these other options.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Nestor on August 1, 2019 1:57PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi.

Further:

What am I missing?

That may be an argument that NEITHER resistances nor health are important. But it doesn't do anything to support (nor to contradict) the theory that health is MORE important than resistance.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Has anything changed in the past year, or is the information in that thread still accurate?
  • Ramber
    Ramber
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Thanks.

its cause you looked at alcast, he dont tank he just puts out meta builds