Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO's Performance Improvements Plan"

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    valeriiya wrote: »
    Thank you, this is the kind of communication I wanted. I'm still skeptical that things will change based on your track record but I'm hopeful.

Some people just have the "never happy" mentality I guess.

This roadmap sounds pretty fantastic and makes the next six months sound exciting. It's also good to see these improvements planned to be done before the 2020 Holiday season. ESO is probably gonna be buttery smooth on the Xbox Scarlet.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Thank you, this is the kind of communication I wanted. I'm still skeptical that things will change based on your track record but I'm hopeful.

This roadmap sounds pretty fantastic and makes the next six months sound exciting. It's also good to see these improvements planned to be done before the 2020 Holiday season. ESO is probably gonna be buttery smooth on the Xbox Scarlet.
    Let’s hope so
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    check back monthly for status updates.

hahaha... good joke.

it's something very hard to believe.
  • Respect4Elders
    Respect4Elders
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patching Overhaul sounds so delicious.

If the only thing they end up doing is overhauling the console patch system I'll be a happy camper.
  • wallace.fanningb14_ESO
    Howdy @ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, and ZOS et al,

First, thanks so much for sharing the performance plan! It was really cool to see the direction. Second, most of the discussion was about ZOS side changes, are there any plans to better utilize "newer" hardware/software?

Specifically I am thinking about SSDs (including NVME and upcoming XBox and PS solutions), greater amounts of RAM, and/or graphics APIs?

Thanks in advance!
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is some unbridled optimism right there.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    check back monthly for status updates.

This isn't like the monthly combat updates, is it?

• Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    One request for the dungeon finder rework: Make sure the dungeon finder does not start looking for players when the dungeon is already complete!
    Today I queue'd for 40 mins as dps... I finally got into a dungeon and it was already entirely cleared. Including the last boss being dead. This caused me to having to leave, get a 10 minutes penalty and queue for another 40 minutes. This was really really messed up. And I wasn't the only one who this happened to.

PS: Another smaller request for the dungeon finder: Ask all players in a party if they are willing to queue if someone in the party queue's them for something. It sometimes happens that players, after doing a random dungeon in the dungeon finder, start queue'ing the entire party. Something simple like: "The party leader wants to queue you for 'something', would you like to participate?"
  • stpdmonkey
    stpdmonkey
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to know why npc movement and stuff is being put off till last. That is a giant pve game killer.
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better not to fail any montly updates... People will distrust immediately.

And this time that info isn only in forum. Whole population who goes to official website will know about this update.

Kudos for officially ZOS recognize game stability degradation.
    Edited by gepe87 on July 30, 2019 7:30PM
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • KappaKid83
    KappaKid83
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People have a right to be skeptical, just like you have a right to be optimistic. When the games biggest PVE streamer is skeptical about the upgrades while reviewing them on his stream then I think that others within the community on this forum also have grounds to be skeptical. Also, these upgrades and improvements have been spoken about for years as going to happen without ever happening so you can probably understand some of the skepticism.

I personally am in the "believe it when I see it" boat but am also optimistic that the game will be smoother. An open letter to the community with updates is a great start and hopefully they can build from here.
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can't wait.
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    First thanks for the update and all the hard work you and your team put into the game.

I know we the gamers give you a hard time about various aspects of the game but it is because we are so passionate about the game. From your work before and looking at the roadmap I can tell you are just as passionate as we are if not more so.

As I was reading the article, it gave me a sense of hope that you are still working hard and trying to improve on ESO for everyone. In addition, hope in that you are willing to put so much time or man-hours/money back into the game to rewrite or redo the games varies codes.
    Moreover, I know I am not crazy now because and I quote “We know that ESO performance has degraded for some players, especially on the base PS4™ and XB1.” Even though I use a ps4 pro it definitely felt like the game was not performing nearly as well with each update.

Not really the place but one request in the midst of all the hard work ahead please please work on the buffs/debuff timers displays and allow us to track skill timers on console. Especially since all classes, we now be like DK’s and more attrition-based combat style with all the DOT’s
  • dimensional
    dimensional
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    ...and still not a single word about the Vulkan client. This is hopeless.
    We know that ESO performance has degraded for some players
    I feel like you're trying to insult the entire playerbase.
    The game's peformance is pathetic from ANY and ALL points of view and has been for a LONG time.

100% incorrect. My performance has never been bad and hasn't really ever suffered after any patches. So, take your insulting attitude and leave it at the door.
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are really awesome news! Keep on the good work! :):+1:
  • Smohk
    Smohk
    Soul Shriven
    ZOS thank you so much for this info! Please keep opening up and improving transparency with the community, it goes a long way and a lot of us greatly appreciate it. Looking forward to the changes and updates!
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandman929 wrote: »

That is some unbridled optimism right there.

We have two choices here. You either remain optimistic, or you stop playing and leave. I don't see the point for any in between.
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »

What happens To inactive players guild spots ... Are they auto removed from guilds or do they retain their placement

It seems to me that the Guild is player controlled, the guild leader/leadership can remove anyone from the guild they like, active or not so having "Inactive" players in a guild is a matter of choice... for the game to remove them from the guild removes that choice and also means they will not be restored to the state they were in when the system archived them
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    For Q2 Cold Storage, before that rolls out can you communicate the cut off dates for "inactive" accounts and how long it takes for an account to become "inactive"?

The length of time for an account to be considered "inactive" is still being discussed, but we will let you know prior to this happening what the cut off is.

What happens To inactive players guild spots ... Are they auto removed from guilds or do they retain their placement

Excellent question!

I have a IRL friends guild with 11 people, some of whom havent been on in years...but their accounts still count towards our Guild Bank, which those of us who are active still use.
  • Blinkin8r
    Blinkin8r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look forward to seeing what ya'll do with the game and heck, might even re subscribe in the Q2 2020. Keep up the letting us know you're getting started on some good work.
    II Blinkin II
    Xbox 1 NA
    "A man without the sauce is lost, but the same man can become lost in the sauce."
  • thegreatme
    thegreatme
    ✭✭✭✭
    terry2040 wrote: »
    Please find a way to get rid of those farming bots. Less bots, less server load, and better performance for everyone else.

There are literally always bot trains running around weird little secluded corners like Glister Vale in Auridon, probably because bot-programmers know not many players run through there very often except newbies or quest-rushers. Every time I run through there, bot train.

Not sure if anyone at ZoS ever just pops in on areas like that if they get reported frequently enough but it might be a good start at least if not.
    Join my Nocturnal-devoted Mercenary Reach guild! https://esokrakeclan.weebly.com/
    My Artstation | Deviantart | Youtube | Furaffinity

Thank You ZoS!:
    ◙ Blackfeather Court banker/merchant
    ◙ Gloam Indrik
    ◙ Re-release Gloam Wolf Mount

Let's See It Happen ZoS:
    ◙ /honorloop emote
    ◙ cross-legged sitting emote
    ◙ Evergloam house
    ◙ Hagraven Polymorph
    ◙ Hagraven Houseguest
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thegreatme wrote: »
    terry2040 wrote: »
    Please find a way to get rid of those farming bots. Less bots, less server load, and better performance for everyone else.

There are literally always bot trains running around weird little secluded corners like Glister Vale in Auridon, probably because bot-programmers know not many players run through there very often except newbies or quest-rushers. Every time I run through there, bot train.

Not sure if anyone at ZoS ever just pops in on areas like that if they get reported frequently enough but it might be a good start at least if not.

All they need is to reintroduce GameMasters that can do real time moderating again.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KappaKid83 wrote: »
    People have a right to be skeptical, just like you have a right to be optimistic. When the games biggest PVE streamer is skeptical about the upgrades while reviewing them on his stream then I think that others within the community on this forum also have grounds to be skeptical.

The streamers have little more to go on that anyone else, so other than a popular opinion presented as entertainment, I fail to see the value. Are their opinions better than others? Well, I'm not a streamer, but here's mine...

They have been talking about fixes for years, and if you have an open mind, you also know that they have made numerous changes to the game in an effort to address the issue. Some of these have been more effective than others. Some of them have resulted in many jokes, like the removal of small animals from Cyrodiil. Some updates have introduced changes that have wiped out prior progress. It's been a rough road.

I have no doubts that they want to fix performance. I have often had doubts that they remain dedicated to achieving this end, but they do seem to trundle along in this direction. From time to time, they roll out something. They are on the road, but they usually don't share progress with us. What they are doing now is a good change, one that I hope they stick with.

I also know that what they are doing takes a long time. I never expected this to be easy. I liken this to swapping out the foundation of a skyscraper. They can't hurry it along, and if they do it wrong, everything comes tumbling down.

My concern lies along two paths. One is quality. ZOS has a reputation for breaking things while trying to fix other things. Skyscraper. Tumbling down. I think that is a valid concern. Fortunately, I think that if anything happens along these lines, we will see it as a delay. Hopefully, nothing of this nature hits Live.

The other concern is broad spectrum effectiveness. Some of the performance changes they have made in the past have been things I have noticed. Other times, I have not noticed, and I can't tell if anyone was able to detect a difference. I am reasonably certain that ZOS will roll out performance changes, even if not exactly on the schedule that they have presented. What is less certain is how many will see noticeable benefits, and how evident that will be.

So, go ZOS. Glad you are still working on it. Happier that you have shared the schedule. I hope that the results are beyond a doubt beneficial. And... don't screw it up! :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KappaKid83 wrote: »

People have a right to be skeptical, just like you have a right to be optimistic. When the games biggest PVE streamer is skeptical about the upgrades while reviewing them on his stream then I think that others within the community on this forum also have grounds to be skeptical. Also, these upgrades and improvements have been spoken about for years as going to happen without ever happening so you can probably understand some of the skepticism.

I personally am in the "believe it when I see it" boat but am also optimistic that the game will be smoother. An open letter to the community with updates is a great start and hopefully they can build from here.

To be fair, what some streamer has to say about something shouldn't have anything to do with one forming their own opinion.
  • stpdmonkey
    stpdmonkey
    ✭✭✭
    I've known from the start that they started with a engine that was not meant for mmo. Over the years dealing with every issue that arises and causes problems and then seeing slight adjustments that make claim to fix the problem only to see it said again and again. I have lost faith that they will fix the game. Seeing a official posting with the plan does help me believe alittle. They are finally doing a complete overhaul. Which is exactly what is needed. There has been very very poor build management. The fact that they need to delete from the base game is proof of that. Pushing out updates that have known major bugs has never been ok. I was about to cancel my membership and quit the game. Thile promise to an actual fix is the only reason I am staying. I also have many friends who may come back. From what I see this is their last chance for many people. And if not done properly could lead to a mass game leaving.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero criticism. Glad to see an acknowledgement of the issue and communication of a longer term strategic plan for dealing with it. Even if this doesn’t solve all of the problems you lost nothing, it gained a great deal of respect, for clear communication on the matter. Thank you for this.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I absolutely, 100% appreciate the communication. I admit that I am surprised to see a road map for future development, but it is fantastic!

I think that this is a great model to follow for communicating other long-term changes. Combat balance, quality-of-life improvements, systems changes, etc. would all be good candidates for similar long-term planning / communication

Great job, and I wish you the best in your efforts to pay off ESO's technical debt!
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for looking at this.

On a more personal note - Oceanic performance has been really, really bad for a while now, and any updates and communication on that in particular would be greatly appreciated. And as others have said, anything to help with the reinstall would be fantastic. It takes days to do that for most Aussies I know.
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a chance that those with inactive accounts will have their character names released for use for active players? With warning emails sent out in advance ofc.
    Edited by Aliyavana on July 31, 2019 7:07AM
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting this Performance Improvements Timeline!

Looking forward to the major reduction of space needed for ESO on my PS4. And the Looking For Group rewrite, and of course any and all performance improvements.