The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Seriously, this game is too easy and the overworld needs to be buffed heavily.

• Uviryth
    Uviryth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chicharron wrote: »
    Yesterday in my vet random daily: last boss of BC2, click P to give me an idea of ​​who is in my group.

2 DPS CP7XX Tank CP810, easy peasy i thought.

We do not wipe, but it took a little more than than 30 minutes to kill the boss, and yes i know how to do my job, olorime pool, combat prayer and horn up all the time, etc...
    Thats exactly the point however. The game goes from "Are there even enemies? Or what was that figure that melted in 0,2 seconds under my one AoE?" to "HOLY CRAP WHAT THE EFF IS THAT! THAT THING JUST HUMPED MY CHAR TO DEATH IN AN INSTANT" without anything inbetween.
    It is missing the middleground, you know, the path 95% of the Gaming-Community walks on.

• albesca
    albesca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smasherx74 wrote: »
    So with the new expansion, I decide to try something new. You know I'll just grind necro on a more min-maxed toon like redguard later, I just want to enjoy the story and experience casually like I would any Elder Scrolls game. (yes I'm weird like that). Sadly, this game is just too easy and I'm honestly tired of hearing people say the open world PVE isn't too easy. I have used 0 of my champion points, I also used no weapons or armor. Guess what? I can run through everything just like I would with CP and gear on. There's virtually no chance of me dying against trash mobs, even the "bosses" of quests are not a challenge. When we talk about the game being too easy, this is the number one issue. Since T1 scaled everything in this game, everything has just became far too easy. To the point I can't even take off all my CP, all my clothes, and go around bare knuckle boxing people, and I still feel like some overpowered god which ruins my immersion.

I know ZOS is trying to make their game as easy as possible for people ot zoom right through as if they're speedrunning. But you know some of us, actually want a little bit of a challenge, we want to die to trash mobs if we aggro too many, ESPECIALLY in the overworld. Some of us want the bosses of quests or delves to be actually challenging, maybe similar to soloing a solo-able world boss. Aside from everything else, I'm not saying we need harder vet dungeons (we do, they're incredibly easy besides a few DLC ones), but I am saying we need a harder overworld.

You and I have quite different ideas of how the game should play: to me overland is just a place I traverse to get from A to B or to farm mats, if I want to fight something I go to a delve, a public dungeon, take a pledge and join a PUG, enter Cyrodiil (from easiest to hardest, depending on my mood and the character I'm on).
    Overland mobs that take longer to kill (like Craglorn's one) are just annoying.

Quest bosses are another thing: I agree that it's strange that the narrative builds up something or someone as really dangerous and hard to kill and then the fight lasts less than ten seconds without even trying too hard. Then again I remember having to wait for someone else to come along to beat the boss and his serpent in the south beacon in Auridon when I started playing cause they kept killing me, when I got there again with another character some months later I got them on the first try without breaking a sweat; experience, knowing the keys layout, and how to avoid incoming damage does much more than gear, so it's hard to balance difficulty for newcomers and veteran with a new character.
    PC EU

Khajiit has no time for you
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just add veteran overland mode and be done with it. The newcommers, storybook readers and "I'm too stressed by real life, I want to faceroll the game" community can stick to the easy mode and the decent players can actually enjoy the story content once again.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Overland is not always that easy; it can surprise you sometimes.

But how would a difficulty slider work? In an online game? It would mean a separate instance, surely, as could not be that someone can fight a boss with Xhp whilst the other person fighting him only has them at Yhp? Personally i do not think that the instance would be that populated as you might think.

Also, if on pc, may i suggest not only removing your CP etc but also all those nice little add-ons that tell you when to hit a button. Might make it a teensy bit harder. 😉
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    Overland is not always that easy; it can surprise you sometimes.

But how would a difficulty slider work? In an online game? It would mean a separate instance, surely, as could not be that someone can fight a boss with Xhp whilst the other person fighting him only has them at Yhp? Personally i do not think that the instance would be that populated as you might think.

Also, if on pc, may i suggest not only removing your CP etc but also all those nice little add-ons that tell you when to hit a button. Might make it a teensy bit harder. 😉

Nobody uses CC tracker for overland content. For dungeons & trials maybe, but that's not the topic. Get a grip.
  • Juponen
    Juponen
    ✭✭✭
    Veteran verion of overland is
    the decent players can actually enjoy the story content once again.

How does harder mobs make story content more enjoyable for you decent players?

• AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juponen wrote: »

It makes it decent because I won't be hearing about a supposedly menacing villain throughout a quest line that ends up dying in five hits or less.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 7 paid expansions. 22 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the vast majority of this game.

"ESO doesn't need a harder overland" on YouTube for a video of a naked level 3 character AFKing in front of a bear for a minute and a half before dying
  • lelink88
    lelink88
    ✭✭✭
    I'm ok if it become harder
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That would make a nice expansion for an extra server. We don't want to force it on everyone but it would be a good option to offer.
  • Vandellia
    Vandellia
    ✭✭✭
    I Guess im what amounts to a Hard Core casual... I love the game love being able to get done what i want without what amounts to a Horrific amount of Slog or Grind or Over zealous stupidly over hard content that is designed for a special subset.. one persons easy is another persons difficult.. stop projecting the content is designed for the majority of players not the i want it hard minority. That being said perhaps they could create a game flag for "hard mode" for the world that adds massive debuffs so that its more difficult. If implemented there should be no difference in drops rewards... however.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

"Muh immersion". Sometimes I only realize that I just rolled over a boss because the quest updates. It's not challening, it's not atmospheric. It's more of a chore. It feels like reading a storybook with some facerolling over the keyboard in between. It ultimately robs my fun of doing story content. If everything would be a bit harder, especially the quest bosses, it would draw me back to doing quests. I don't look forward to DLC zones anymore.
  • AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why shouldn't there be a reward for a veteran phase of the overworld? It's opt-in, people in veteran dungeons and trials get better gear and more of it. Why shouldn't an overworld with enhanced difficulty do the same? As an endgame player, I can always use a bit of cash and significantly increasing my time to kill and risk of death (costing me even more money) without reward is not a decision most people would consider.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 7 paid expansions. 22 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the vast majority of this game.

"ESO doesn't need a harder overland" on YouTube for a video of a naked level 3 character AFKing in front of a bear for a minute and a half before dying
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because stomping through a bunch of mobs then saying "wheres the boss" and only then realising you are already standing on whats left of his head is boring.

I doubt anyone wants every fight with a random bandit or wolf to be epic but there needs to be some increase in overland difficulty, at least to the point where you actually have to block, roll dodge or move out of the proverbial fire is important. The same stuff that you would need to do in instances.

Anyone remember getting punted into low orbit in Skyrim? it soon made you respect giants and stay out of their way.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just trying to be clear here, is this the thread that wants to be able to start at max level with all achievements done?

Oh, right. this is the too easy thread.

Can you people please make up your minds.

First off, it already NOT easy for a starting player. I know most people on here don't care about them, but it's a fact. Now, overland wandering monsters generally won't kill them, but the New Player cannot just one shot them like you could at 3 months of play or more. The New player has literally no resources when they come out of the tutorial. They No mats. They have Squat for equipment. They have Squat for gold. They have a mount with the speed of 0.

What you propose to do is Kill off the New characters consistently and make it painfully hard on them by making wandering monsters hard to kill.

Second, you talk about trimming down everything and it's still too easy. But you are still accessing all the resources you got. Provisioning, lockpicks, skyshards, anything you got banked is still available.

Start from scratch where you have Nothing. Nothing in the bank at all. Start at the tutorial and only use what you find. Period. And remove all those addons while you are at it.

Now, this won't get you "killed" in overland. Wandering monsters are for FLAVOR. They are Never designed for the characters to potentially die with each and every encounter. What you are asking for, to satisfy your own personal desire, with No regard for anyone else, is the to drive New players away from the game by making just moving around the map deadly- just so it is enough of a "challenge" for you, the veteran player.

I don't understand why people have some need to focus only on their own personal preference and not take other peoples situations into the big picture.

Edited by barney2525 on May 27, 2019 11:08AM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    That would make a nice expansion for an extra server. We don't want to force it on everyone but it would be a good option to offer.

Even now there are a lot of instances of same zone. So ZOS just needs to create new instances with ruleset like "player does only 33% of damage and mobs do triple damage, rewards doubled" and roll it on PTS to see how it will work.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean this might seem stupid to just decrease/increase damage done/received but compare unmodded Skyrim in normal and legendary... in legendary it's hell of the tactics and action game if you are not exploiting, at least until you reach very high levels.
  • AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like someone else said, I don't think anyone is asking for ESO to become Sekiro but it'd be nice to be able to walk through the world without accidentally sneezing and killing a mob of enemies including the ones that the quest dialog led you to believe would be menacing foes. Hypothetically if a veteran overworld mode was introduced, it would be opt-in and we'd be rewarded for it given the additional risk and increased time to kill.

• Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mean this might seem stupid to just decrease/increase damage done/received but compare unmodded Skyrim in normal and legendary... in legendary it's hell of the tactics and action game if you are not exploiting, at least until you reach very high levels.

Fallout 4 survival mode would be a better example to use as an example of "tactics" or "skillful gameplay" because skyrim on legendary is nothing but exploiting enemy AI at low levels lmao
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Svenja wrote: »
    SirAndy wrote: »
    You joined in April of 2014.

Do you remember how easy the game was for you back then?
    How you could beat everything blindfolded, naked and with one arm tied to your back?

Right,. You got 5 years on those people who are truly starting fresh, not just a new character for someone who's been up and down this road a thousand times.
    shades.gif
    I'm not saying the game has to be super hard, but the overland content is too easy and forgiving. No wonder people die like flies or deal absolutely abysmal damage once they do group content. 10.5k health and 3k dps are enough to get you through everything in overland just fine, the thought that you need to change your playstyle simply never occurs. And then you set foot in group dungeons and get kicked and wonder why.

You talk about how the game was nerfed since launch in 2014, and you are correct. However, this part I left in because it did not make the difference you seem to think it made as April and May 2014 I still came across people in dungeons that had pathetically poor skills playing the game. Many would be oblivious to the few mechanics that were in the 6 vet dungeons we had.
  • Nimrhys
    Nimrhys
    ✭✭✭
    No, I like it as it is thank you.
  • MikaHR
    MikaHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, CPs have to be removed and top gear HEAVILY nerfed to put extreme power creep that is plaguing ESO under control.

That will solve your problem.
  • AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nimrhys wrote: »

Why the hell do you like one shotting mobs of enemies at endgame? I was able to two shot the overwhelming majority of delve bosses at CP300 without BiS gear or optimal build and I think the fact that it's widely recommended to wait until CP500 for vMA because it allows you to trivialize mechanics is evidence that power creep is a problem.

Back when I was leveling my Warden for the first time with my CP enabled I remember not even having time to use my subterranean assault in most encounters because everything was dying so quick.
    Edited by AlexanderDeLarge on May 27, 2019 11:22AM

• alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »
    Just trying to be clear here, is this the thread that wants to be able to start at max level with all achievements done?

Oh, right. this is the too easy thread.

Can you people please make up your minds.

First off, it already NOT easy for a starting player. I know most people on here don't care about them, but it's a fact. Now, overland wandering monsters generally won't kill them, but the New Player cannot just one shot them like you could at 3 months of play or more. The New player has literally no resources when they come out of the tutorial. They No mats. They have Squat for equipment. They have Squat for gold. They have a mount with the speed of 0.

What you propose to do is Kill off the New characters consistently and make it painfully hard on them by making wandering monsters hard to kill.

Second, you talk about trimming down everything and it's still too easy. But you are still accessing all the resources you got. Provisioning, lockpicks, skyshards, anything you got banked is still available.

Start from scratch where you have Nothing. Nothing in the bank at all. Start at the tutorial and only use what you find. Period. And remove all those addons while you are at it.

Now, this won't get you "killed" in overland. Wandering monsters are for FLAVOR. They are Never designed for the characters to potentially die with each and every encounter. What you are asking for, to satisfy your own personal desire, with No regard for anyone else, is the to drive New players away from the game by making just moving around the map deadly- just so it is enough of a "challenge" for you, the veteran player.

I don't understand why people have some need to focus only on their own personal preference and not take other peoples situations into the big picture.

You seem to think there are 2 settings: Hello Kitty and Dark Souls.

As you say wandering monsters are for flavour, no one is asking for them to be boss difficulty.

"Start from scratch where you have Nothing. Nothing in the bank at all. Start at the tutorial and only use what you find. Period. And remove all those addons while you are at it."

Already done it, nothing changed. No cp, no food, only dropped and quest reward gear, no crafted gear, no skill weaving or anything like that and the mobs still fell. The base tutorial introduces blocking and interrupting yet both game mechanics are irrelevant in overland content
    Edited by alanmatillab16_ESO on May 27, 2019 11:28AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why the hell do you like one shotting mobs of enemies at endgame?

I do not look to trash mobs in open world for a challenge in any MMORPG I have played in years. I look to raids, vet trials in HM and working on the latest greatest trials or DLC dungeon for my challenge. That works well with the overall scaled difficulty levels I have found is designed into modern MMORPGs.

But as I said, it would be great if Zos could add a toggle to allow a player to make their character weaker, but keep loot the same because the goal is to offer more challenge with trash mobs for those that are interested. BTW, it would not be permitted to work in dungeons or trials. There is a reason.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    M

Why the hell do you like one shotting mobs of enemies at endgame? I was able to two shot the overwhelming majority of delve bosses at CP300 without BiS gear or optimal build and I think the fact that it's widely recommended to wait until CP500 for vMA because it allows you to trivialize mechanics is evidence that power creep is a problem.

Back when I was leveling my Warden for the first time with my CP enabled I remember not even having time to use my subterranean assault in most encounters because everything was dying so quick.

Hey, maybe they just do.

I also am quite happy with how overland is. If I want difficulty I’ll go do trials or try & solo dungeons.
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should try Vet HM Fang Lair, then...

I suppose Overland content may be easy (most of the time) so casuals can enjoy a light and fun game.
    Edited by CaptainVenom on May 27, 2019 11:30AM
    🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So with the new expansion, I decide to try something new. You know I'll just grind necro on a more min-maxed toon like redguard later, I just want to enjoy the story and experience casually like I would any Elder Scrolls game. (yes I'm weird like that). Sadly, this game is just too easy and I'm honestly tired of hearing people say the open world PVE isn't too easy. I have used 0 of my champion points, I also used no weapons or armor. Guess what? I can run through everything just like I would with CP and gear on. There's virtually no chance of me dying against trash mobs, even the "bosses" of quests are not a challenge. When we talk about the game being too easy, this is the number one issue. Since T1 scaled everything in this game, everything has just became far too easy. To the point I can't even take off all my CP, all my clothes, and go around bare knuckle boxing people, and I still feel like some overpowered god which ruins my immersion.

I know ZOS is trying to make their game as easy as possible for people ot zoom right through as if they're speedrunning. But you know some of us, actually want a little bit of a challenge, we want to die to trash mobs if we aggro too many, ESPECIALLY in the overworld. Some of us want the bosses of quests or delves to be actually challenging, maybe similar to soloing a solo-able world boss. Aside from everything else, I'm not saying we need harder vet dungeons (we do, they're incredibly easy besides a few DLC ones), but I am saying we need a harder overworld.

Ok. I'm calling BS, lol. Video or it didn't happen.

Seriously, though. WoW Classic is coming out 27Aug19. Go play that for a little bit and then tell us how much you miss that design philosophy.
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@AlexanderDeLarge isn't the entire point we keep playing to make our characters stronger? you know...the ingame progression loop?

so yeah. it is fun to kill everything with great ease in the overland, it shows how far one has come since they first started playing.

like this game has pretty decent combat, but it's not that good. fighting mobs for the sake of it loses it's appeal after some time.
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally like it the way it is, for the most part. I came here from LOTRO. They have leveled areas. If I was resource farming I would absolutely choose an area I had outleveled so my farming would not be interrupted by having to fight mobs, which were all grayed out and would ignore you once you outleveled them. I didn't mind that. If I wanted challenge I went to the high level areas. It was actually very nice to wander around and look at scenery without worrying about fighting. It was also really interesting to get good close-up views of mobs holding still, too.
  • AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if someone likes feeling like they're playing with god mode enabled? Then I would suggest they go play one of the hundreds of games that have you feeling like a "badass" one shotting mobs in previous zones. This is a game designed around horizontal progression where that isn't supposed to happen. Horizontal progression is great because when implemented correctly, all content is viable at end game and it's not just mindless eradication of zones like I'm playing Path of Exile or Dynasty Warriors. Unfortunately this, Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 are the only games with this structure and if I were to leave, I'd only have one modern alternative.

This is contradictory game design in action and there's no way in hell this is what the developers intended when they introduced scaling mechanics and a gear cap that never raised beyond 160. The fact that they've stopped raising champion point levels until they've figured out what to do with the system is evidence of this.
    Edited by AlexanderDeLarge on May 27, 2019 11:35AM