Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Seriously, this game is too easy and the overworld needs to be buffed heavily.

• exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SkerKro wrote: »
    Still waiting for videos to show how easy OL is with these claims of no Attribute Points, No CP, No Mundus, no gear and no weapons, just basic skill points and Basic class abilities.

Mainly to see it from their prospective and how it supports their argument. And I am Lazy.

As well, as a whole, sure, make VET style Overland content. But. Absolutely no rewards; ZERO from completing quest. Cause why do you need to be rewarded for this, when so many are claiming that the challenge itself would be the true reward. You should only craft your gear in this type.

It would only be fair to follow your own guidelines already placed by so many other threads of similar nature.

Harder content for the challenge, thus the challenge is the reward in the end.

Are you daft? I must ask because why would you intentionally be against an ordinary vet-mode for those that want it by denying them any kind of loot? I could understand the "no better loot" philosophy but your comment simply shows your ignorance about the topic.

Nice attitude, love how its quick to flame and bash when the opinion isnt the same, no need to be a Pelican. But yes. If your all wanting the "better" reward and for the challenge, you DO NOT NEED TO BE BRIBED or rewarded with a carrot on a stick. If it is truly the challenge and risk, that is enough reward for such a feature.

Want a challenge, make it a True challenge, craft your fear and dominate it, no reason what so ever for thr feature to be a glorified loot drop, or even drop anything other than gold, cause you feel that you're all above the noobs and regular plebs and need to rub it in others faces.

That is an incredibly naive mindset. Win and failure conditions with proper incentives is what drives game design in this fashion. Its why craglorn was a failure, because the incentives were simply non existent.

Commiting to some self imposed arbitrary handicap to create an artifical difficulty spike is a dead end solution that may appeal to a very small demographic. Organic meaningful challenge with meaningful rewards reflective of said challenge is what drives online games where players are absolutely incentivized to be better than their peers whenever possible. Yes you have vet trials and dlc dungeons as one avenue for this but there are broader implications to what the OP is suggesting and why what you are suggesting does not work in a human environment.

Also your rant about doing solo overland content without gear, cp, attribute points etc etc is nonsense because attribute and gear acquisition is a natrual occurrence and is in no way foreign even to a brand new player.
    Edited by exeeter702 on May 27, 2019 7:45PM
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    Still waiting for videos to show how easy OL is with these claims of no Attribute Points, No CP, No Mundus, no gear and no weapons, just basic skill points and Basic class abilities.

Mainly to see it from their prospective and how it supports their argument. And I am Lazy.

As well, as a whole, sure, make VET style Overland content. But. Absolutely no rewards; ZERO from completing quest. Cause why do you need to be rewarded for this, when so many are claiming that the challenge itself would be the true reward. You should only craft your gear in this type.

It would only be fair to follow your own guidelines already placed by so many other threads of similar nature.

Are you daft? I must ask because why would you intentionally be against an ordinary vet-mode for those that want it by denying them any kind of loot? I could understand the "no better loot" philosophy but your comment simply shows your ignorance about the topic.

Nice attitude, love how its quick to flame and bash when the opinion isnt the same, no need to be a Pelican. But yes. If your all wanting the "better" reward and for the challenge, you DO NOT NEED TO BE BRIBED or rewarded with a carrot on a stick. If it is truly the challenge and risk, that is enough reward for such a feature.

Want a challenge, make it a True challenge, craft your fear and dominate it, no reason what so ever for thr feature to be a glorified loot drop, or even drop anything other than gold, cause you feel that you're all above the noobs and regular plebs and need to rub it in others faces.

That is an incredibly naive mindset. Win and failure conditions with proper incentives is what drives game design in this fashion. Its why craglorn was a failure, because the incentives were simply non existent.

Commiting to some self imposed arbitrary handicap to create an artifical difficulty spike is a dead end solution that may appeal to a very small demographic. Organic meaningful challenge with meaningful rewards reflective of said challenge is what drives online games where players are absolutely incentivized to be better than their peers whenever possible. Yes you have vet trials and dlc dungeons as one avenue for this but there are broader implications to what the OP is suggesting and why what you are suggesting does not work in a human environment.

Also your rant about doing solo overland content without gear, cp, attribute points etc etc is nonsense because attribute and gear acquisition is a natrual occurrence and is in no way foreign even to a brand new player.

Im not ranting on about doing solo content without anything... point out where I claimed such things please.
    I am simply wanting to see video of those who here are claiming they can do it, to get insight from their perspective on "how" easy it is. Making a claim is easy without evidence to support it. While yes, expressing my opinion as well on the idea.
    Edited by StormeReigns on May 27, 2019 8:02PM
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kalgert wrote: »
    barney2525 wrote: »
    Snip for length.
    I've been playing the game for a long time. So really, I have a lot of resources at hand.... But I don't use them. So really, outside of using or not using Champion Points, all my new characters function as "Fresh Account" characters with no resources.

AND EVEN THEN... The game's objectively not that challenging. Even playing as a tank character where DPS is very low, it's not challenging. I'd have to be really reckless to even come close to dying (Which happened once, because I didn't have any self-healing abilities slotted).

So begone with this notion that the game is challenging for new players with absolutely no resources, when it obviously ain't the case.

Was gonna reply, but I'm just wasting my time. When I see this response It shows - You are not on here to discuss. Your mind is closed.

• exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are 2 camps of ideology i have come to understand over my life playing video games both on and offline.

In regards to mmorpgs....

There are those that beileve a game should be as broadly accessible as possible to cater to the widest demographic reach with a compartmentalized content design approach that says "there is something here for everyone, come and enjoy". Where content implementation is modular in that you can access different aspects depending on your critiera for a good time. Generally with this mindset, so long as there is hard content isolated somewhere, easier content for the far most casual players is entirely inconsequential.

Then there are those who believe a game should be designed fully around a singular standard of which all players are held to, and any varying degrees of content difficulty are intrisincally tied to one another, ie an organic approach to player (and character) progression. What this means is essentially, players are not coddled even at the lowest entry level which does NOT mean hard out of the gates, it means the challenge is relevant from state to finish. Players are shown the rules, given the tools and over time basically sink or swim but at the end of the day is absolutely fair to all players. Skill differences in players soley result in those that progress to the highest eschelon of content and those that plateau at easier activites. The game design in this fashion basically says "here are the tools you need to succeed, now its your responsibility to rise to the challenge".

There are obvious flaws to the later design as you risk a smaller player base which publishers obviously dont want since many are of the former mind set and prefer as little push back from a game as possible you tend to see smaller more dedicated communities for the later types of games, and much larger communities of varying player types for the former.

How does this pertain to eso and its overland difficulty approach. Well, eso does an abyamal job educating and preparing players for harder group content and does nothing to tell a new player "hey maybe try this harder stuff now with the lessons you have leanred leveling up". Instead what we have is "are you enjoying questing? Well go ahead and keep enjoying, if its all you want to do then we have you covered, no worries!" No one is asking for questing content to be pure veteran hm level challenge out if the gates, its about having a natrual difficulty curve that educates and ultimately creates experienced players as opposed to creating a safe place where 810cp players get into vet hms and are absolutely awful because they never once got a slap on the wrist while leveling up.

I can say with 100 percent certainty that the questing experience is absolutely carefree for new players as I have done twice now, leveled a brand new character without crafted gear beyond the low trait sets that i leanred on the new character while leveling, and no cp allocated. Its a mild experience at best.

1. Create a more organic difficulty curve through progression where all aspects of various content play into one another and produce experienced players.

2. Figure out a separate system with proper incentivizes for max level players to partake in so they can engage in pve overland content without commiting to self imposed arbitrary handicaps.
  • Rawkan
    Rawkan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overworld is balanced for new and low cp players, not max cp players in meta gear.
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are right, but I have learned that the majority of players here prefere easy mode. They dont like a chalenge, they just want to rush through the game, get rewards and then… dont know…

I guess having some endgame trials be challenging is enough for them.

Why should I want a challenge in a game? For me, it's something that I have fun playing and for Elder Scrolls especially the quests and scenery are most important. There are plenty of other games if I want to bang my head against the wall. This is supposed to be fun. Real life has plenty of challenges where I get to feel accomplished. This is a game.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Icky wrote: »
    Bare knuckles. No armor no abilities. Just passives. Real pve.

Passives are for noobs. Real veterans solo the all of the open-world content in less than an hour with nothing but their small clothes and a smile. Then come to the forums about how easy the game is.

That is how you show the forums how awesome you are at the game.
  • navystylz_ESO
    navystylz_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    albesca wrote: »
    You and I have quite different ideas of how the game should play: to me overland is just a place I traverse to get from A to B or to farm mats, if I want to fight something I go to a delve, a public dungeon, take a pledge and join a PUG, enter Cyrodiil (from easiest to hardest, depending on my mood and the character I'm on).
    Overland mobs that take longer to kill (like Craglorn's one) are just annoying.

No you don't. Because delves and public dungeons are just as easy as overland. It might as well be considered overland. The only thing that isn't as easy as overland is the group event. And some of those are pathetically easy. Literally swung twice on group event mobs and it gave me a skill point.

• navystylz_ESO
    navystylz_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Can you people please make up your minds.

Knowing game controls and how your character abilities work should NOT be the metric of difficulty. At the very LEAST getting out of red telegraphs, blocking white charge up ability, and interrupting red charge up abilities should be a requirement.

And can bosses at the very least fee like a boss? If you force me to be in uninstanced content fighting bosses with multiple people, should those people not be 'kind of ' needed to take on that content?
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we here again?

Okay. I started ESO more seriously - which means not only in free weekends - after I get a key through Humble Bundle. I already had a ~lvl15 char, but I was not really inside the mechanics. This character was an AD sorcerer, so obviously I wandered in Auridon, and just reached Phaer with their vampire problem. The storyline brought me into a delve. And I was stuck there for almost a week, because I just couldn't do anything with a 100k hp miniboss in the middle of the delve. I went in, died, respawned, tried again, died and so on. The delve is only open for this quest, so you can't go there any time. One week later I went in again, after way too many death - and somebody else came after me, also doing this quest. Yay! I was able to go through the miniboss with the help, and then I finished the entire delve and my quest.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who got stuck on a harder quest boss while not knowing enough of the game to solve this kind of problem. Today I can cut down everything in this delve even with a low level character without using any CP, but that only means I have 1.5 years of experience with the fight system and mob mechanics.
  • Kalgert
    Kalgert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kalgert wrote: »
    Snip for length.
    I've been playing the game for a long time. So really, I have a lot of resources at hand.... But I don't use them. So really, outside of using or not using Champion Points, all my new characters function as "Fresh Account" characters with no resources.

AND EVEN THEN... The game's objectively not that challenging. Even playing as a tank character where DPS is very low, it's not challenging. I'd have to be really reckless to even come close to dying (Which happened once, because I didn't have any self-healing abilities slotted).

So begone with this notion that the game is challenging for new players with absolutely no resources, when it obviously ain't the case.
    Was gonna reply, but I'm just wasting my time. When I see this response It shows - You are not on here to discuss. Your mind is closed.
    Hello pot. Meet kettle.

It's quite something to tell someone that they're close-minded, when the attitude present is "Game's already hard for new players, stfu".

I will say it again, what I said before: It feels like certain players here think that new players are such imbeciles, that they need a really really easy experience, so they don't get scared off, which is rather insulting to say the least.

You're free to disprove me in thinking this way... But I have a feeling you won't bother, because you'd be "Wasting your time", as you said.

As much as I hate the people who say it... But I can't help but bring up the "Muh rewards in playing harder things, what's the point of playing harder if I get nothing out of it?" rhetoric that those people like bringing up whenever someone suggests that skins'n'such should either be veteran completion unlocks, or normal unlocks (That being the pre-Wrathstone skins, the ones that need Challenger to be unlocked).

Also, link me a thread or comment where people were saying "The challenge is the true reward", so I can disavow them, because those people are clearly not in the right state of mind.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How would a difficulty toggle work in open overland stuff? How can people with different difficulty settings fight the same boss?

(Not being sarky, want to know if really possible.)
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smasherx74 wrote: »
    So with the new expansion, I decide to try something new. You know I'll just grind necro on a more min-maxed toon like redguard later, I just want to enjoy the story and experience casually like I would any Elder Scrolls game. (yes I'm weird like that). Sadly, this game is just too easy and I'm honestly tired of hearing people say the open world PVE isn't too easy. I have used 0 of my champion points, I also used no weapons or armor. Guess what? I can run through everything just like I would with CP and gear on. There's virtually no chance of me dying against trash mobs, even the "bosses" of quests are not a challenge. When we talk about the game being too easy, this is the number one issue. Since T1 scaled everything in this game, everything has just became far too easy. To the point I can't even take off all my CP, all my clothes, and go around bare knuckle boxing people, and I still feel like some overpowered god which ruins my immersion.

I know ZOS is trying to make their game as easy as possible for people ot zoom right through as if they're speedrunning. But you know some of us, actually want a little bit of a challenge, we want to die to trash mobs if we aggro too many, ESPECIALLY in the overworld. Some of us want the bosses of quests or delves to be actually challenging, maybe similar to soloing a solo-able world boss. Aside from everything else, I'm not saying we need harder vet dungeons (we do, they're incredibly easy besides a few DLC ones), but I am saying we need a harder overworld.

I agree with you that the over world is way too easy for veteran players - especially at max CP. It's an absolute joke actually, and boring to play. This hurts the game a lot because a large portion of this game is the questing/exploration aspects and high level players should be able to enjoy this content too. And expecting high levels to stay in dungeons and trials is not a reasonable solution as some of the posters in this thread have suggested. This idea that they should strip or remove their levels is even more unreasonable (that one is just absurd actually).

I don't believe a straight up increase in difficulty is the answer though. The reason for that being the landscape still provides an adequate challenge for newer players just starting out. Many of them in fact struggle with it. That's why I think a better solution here would be to simply add veteran versions of each zone (similar to how they do with dungeons) that experienced players could choose to play in. That would solve this problem I think (and it is a serious problem) without making the game too difficult for others to enjoy in the process. It's a win win and the developers should really consider doing it.
    Edited by Jeremy on May 27, 2019 9:49PM
  • SilverPaws
    SilverPaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open world in this game is damm joke. You can kill every delve boss or mob with light attacks with no skills equiped. How can anyone say open world is hard.
    Edited by SilverPaws on May 27, 2019 9:45PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    How would a difficulty toggle work in open overland stuff? How can people with different difficulty settings fight the same boss?

I don't think it could, not in an MMO setting - especially given this game's limitations. There was talk of just calculating CP increases were putting stress on the server. So calculations of that magnitude would probably blow up the game.
    Edited by Jeremy on May 27, 2019 9:47PM
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeremy wrote: »

I don't think it could, not in an MMO setting - especially given this game's limitations. There was talk of just calculating CP increases were putting stress on the server. So calculations of that magnitude would probably blow up the game.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6088153/#Comment_6088153

Or the concept in more detail:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/475223/solution-for-overland-difficulty-that-will-suit-everyone/p1
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Kalgert

Dont think new players are stupid or imbeciles. Just know that even as someone who has played for over 4 years and has oodles of CP etc and done some vet trials, its not always a walk in the park. (Yes i know, ltp, git gud etc)

Knowing the mechs of the game & how it works are a huge part of it - if you have levelled numerous characters, you have that; you cant unlearn it. A new player does not have that knowledge.

And the % of people who stay the course snd get to your level of competence is minuscule - so why should time & money be spent in providing a service to such a tiny player demographic?
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6088153/#Comment_6088153

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/475223/solution-for-overland-difficulty-that-will-suit-everyone/p1

It's an interesting idea - but I don't think it could function properly on a game like this. For a system like that to work you would probably need to have a monster claim system. Otherwise the server will have to handle an entirely new layer of multiple individual calculations for every player attacking the same monster and I just don't think this game could handle it. The developers were concerned that just the inclusion of CP was causing stress on the servers. - and that's a much simpler process.
    Edited by Jeremy on May 27, 2019 9:57PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the % of people who stay the course snd get to your level of competence is minuscule - so why should time & money be spent in providing a service to such a tiny player demographic?

It's not just hardcore players who find the over world way too easy. In fact - I think this probably more of a problem for casual players to be quite honest with you.

Hardcore players I doubt spend much time questing and exploring anyway and likely treat it as just an annoying exercise they want to get over with asap. They're more concerned with leader boards, trials, perhaps PvP etc.
    Edited by Jeremy on May 27, 2019 10:07PM
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Jeremy

Not so sure about that. Have new players in guild that do find overland challenging enough. And I consider myself a filthy casual and its fine by me - as others have said, i don't necessarily want this game to become too Dark Souls /Sekiro, it’s pleasant to be able to wander around or go fishing without constantly having to be on guard.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »

It's an interesting idea - but I don't think it could function properly on a game like this. For a system like that to work you would probably need to have a monster claim system. Otherwise the server will have to handle an entirely new layer of multiple individual calculations for every player attacking the same monster and I just don't think this game could handle it. The developers were concerned that just the inclusion of CP was causing stress on the servers. - and that's a much simpler process.

Tagging is a simple enough system to implement. I don't see why we should dismiss the idea outright just because it requires a few tweaks.
  • shadowwraith666
    shadowwraith666
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Kalgert

Dont think new players are stupid or imbeciles. Just know that even as someone who has played for over 4 years and has oodles of CP etc and done some vet trials, its not always a walk in the park. (Yes i know, ltp, git gud etc)

Knowing the mechs of the game & how it works are a huge part of it - if you have levelled numerous characters, you have that; you cant unlearn it. A new player does not have that knowledge.

most the "the game's too easy" crowd are in the mindset of "if i can do x without cp or if i can start a new character and breeze through the game, the new players can as well" without thinking of the fact that new players have zero knowledge of the game or it's mechanics.

These players will never be satisfied because every difficulty increase will eventually be overcome to the point that their back here complaining again.
    • Vicktor Bloodtail - L42 Argonian Magblade, Werewolf - EP
    • Xarxes - L31 Dunmer Sorc, Vampire - EP
    • Lichtspear - L21 Argonian Temp - EP
    • Rajka Fireclaw - L21 Khajit DK - AD

PS4 EU
    Spill some blood for me dear brother
    Vicente Valtiere, Dark Brotherhood, Oblivion
  • DyingIsEasy
    DyingIsEasy
    ✭✭✭
    @Kalgert

most the "the game's too easy" crowd are in the mindset of "if i can do x without cp or if i can start a new character and breeze through the game, the new players can as well" without thinking of the fact that new players have zero knowledge of the game or it's mechanics.

These players will never be satisfied because every difficulty increase will eventually be overcome to the point that their back here complaining again.

You may be right that most of the people are in that mindset.

It is still objectively (as much as that is possible) true that overland content is too easy right now.
    I did Frostvault on normal a few days ago and our group couldn't get past the first boss because both DPS didn't know how to interrupt. Interrupt is a CORE mechanic of this game and every single mob in this game has the same telegraph for "interrupt now" and yet they did not interrupt within a timeframe of 5+ seconds (and yes i explained them several times what to do after the wipes).

The following video (from minute 3:08 to 4:56) describes the current situation in ESO perfectly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EitZRLt2G3w
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    albesca wrote: »
    You and I have quite different ideas of how the game should play: to me overland is just a place I traverse to get from A to B or to farm mats, if I want to fight something I go to a delve, a public dungeon, take a pledge and join a PUG, enter Cyrodiil (from easiest to hardest, depending on my mood and the character I'm on).
    Overland mobs that take longer to kill (like Craglorn's one) are just annoying.

No you don't. Because delves and public dungeons are just as easy as overland. It might as well be considered overland. The only thing that isn't as easy as overland is the group event. And some of those are pathetically easy. Literally swung twice on group event mobs and it gave me a skill point.

Public dungeons are harder in one way -- trash packs have more mobs than there are elsewhere. E.g., Vile Manse can actually keep you on your toes, if you're on a sub-50 stamina character without Vigor, Caltrops, Shrouded Daggers or Arrow Spray, especially when the inevitable happens and you stumble into a fight rather than initiating at your pace.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on May 27, 2019 10:52PM
  • Massacre_Wurm
    Massacre_Wurm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not so easy if you are new player using gear from quest rewards and loot. I actually died a lot around lvl 30 trying to fight some quest bosses. it is frustrating
  • Aireal
    Aireal
    ✭✭✭
    This is my first MMO I came strait here from Skryim.. a heavily modded Skyrim, pretty hard Dead is Dead style of play. I figured the game would have challenges, it's a TES game after all. But I didn't exactly want insane difficulty or a hack in slash through every wolf, skeever and Deadra pack I run across... I want that I'll go play Skyrim.

If I wanted to bash my head into the monitor, I'd play Dark Souls..again.

Every game has people that say "it's not hard" while others say "it's hard enough"... What gaming companies want are those people that stick around, buy the DLC's, buy the next game.. form a good community. Sure they may not treat the community great, but the community treat's each other good... or at least the TES community I belong to does.

Could they implement a better difficulty scale for the OW? Yeah probably.. Each "base" country at the difficulty it is now, each satellite country, slightly harder and not opened until you get X amount done in the base country. This would even work for DLC's IF they have more than one country per DLC.

THAT of course being a known thing, would cause those who only like to gripe about the difficulty to make the most maxed gear they can... those like me who like to explore and do side quests first to gripe about not being able to go to the new places.. and maybe a small % of people happy that they got a challenge in the OW>
    Life is about the journey...cause it all ends the same
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bekkael wrote: »
    By bad, I mean new, naked account, like a first time player to the game would experience. Starting out is tough for a new player, and if things are too hard they will quit. I left the game several times when I was leveling my first character. I died to a gust of wind for quite a while, and that just isn’t fun.

For the sake of brand new players, I’m glad if overland leans more toward easy than hard. Experienced players can get their jollies with harder content in other areas of the game, and leave questing alone. New players need to be enticed to stay, not driven away by a Dark Souls type of gameplay.

Just my opinion.

I don't like extremely hard games either, but if a game isn't at least challenging then why even play? Why progress if everything is just so easy?

That's literally what 2 of my friends told me when I tried to get them to play on a free weekend. They tried it out and basically laughed at the logic being used here. They found the large lvl 3 stats to be absurd and even worse when it turns out you actually kinda lose power as you level and become more rounded-out as a character. It was such a backwards concept. And until that point, I never realized how bad it was and even tried to defend the game, but I couldn't. The excuse of "making the game rated E for everyone in terms of difficulty" isn't a good one. I actually miss the leveled zones because mobs could be stronger than you.

One of my favorite memories in this game was my friend and I way back before one tamriel wanted to be vampires. We were like, lvl 10 btw. And the only way to become a vampire for us Aldemeri dominion folk was to run to reaper's march and go to the shrine or get turned by bloodfiends. We decided to venture into reaper's march even tho we were waaaaay too low level. We had to hug the road and rely on running away from the spooky things in that zone. We eventually made it to the shrine and it felt rewarding, perhaps more than anything I've done since one tamriel. Experiences like this are impossible now. And for the record, I think all of you that use the "just take off your gear/dont use cps/dont do this/etc" are just flat out wrong. If the only way an MMO is challenging is if YOU penalize yourself, then that's bad design by default. MMOs are NOT meant for everyone, that's the whole point. If little jimmy over there can't beat the final boss to a long quest chain then that's on him, not the game. He should do other things and level, get stronger, then come back and fight that boss.

HONESTLY, I'd argue that the game NOT being challenging in anyway shape or form is hurting it more than helping it. I have never once met a person that played a game because it was overly easy. If there is no challenge, then there is no reason to want to get better. If I can beat all quests and all story bosses at lvl 3 why progress to lvl 50 unless I want to do other content that isn't over-world stuff?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any other mmo that has different difficulty levels for players? Just curious as to exactly how this could realistically be implemented. Emphasis on the realistically - so actual workable solutions not wishful thinking from people who don't understand game design.

SWTOR

Very limited. It is limited only to instanced content, which they do have a lot, and I thin it is only the chapters. It affects nothing in open world which is most of what ESO has.

So it is not relevant since the design is extremely different and it is not a workable solution which is what the person you quoted asked for.
    Remember when Craglorn came out and they made the whole zone difficult enough that it required a group, and it was super popular and did really well?

Oh wait... Craglorn was a huge flop.

And this is why Zos will not do another challenging zone. I remember the cries and multiple nerfs to the zone. Granted it was designed for groups, but people still cried about the difficulty. I had no issues, but I realize I am not reflective of the majority of players in the game.
    Edited by idk on May 27, 2019 11:00PM
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it was so easy yesterday that I saw level one new players soloing world bosses and dragons....

GTFO these forums, so sick of people like the OP, epeening about the game being easy when they already have the experience especially when players like me die world bosses often when we aren't careful, not to mention pugs breaking up because of a lack of DPS.

Either your a god at this game Smasherx74 or a god damn liar.

FYI overworld is supposed to have degrees of difficulty to ease players in, if this was craglorn when it released it would be dead two months later when they released content a slightly more easier.

Also want to challenge Smasherx74 to tie his hand behind back to play this game, thats difficulty for you lol
    Edited by Digiman on May 27, 2019 11:51PM
  • Cerra
    Cerra
    ✭✭✭
    The game being too easy is why I'm getting bored, and the only reason I still play is to play with a friend. It sounds like there are a lot of people with the same issue. It remains to be seen if they can come up with a viable solution.