Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Eidetic Memory Bugs/Comments/Help, Volume Two

BrightOblivion
BrightOblivion
✭✭✭✭✭
List of Bugged Books Up-to-Date As of Patch: 6.1.0

With the other thread reaching its 57th page and with the approval of the previous thread’s author, who’s not had enough time lately to keep it updated, I’ve decided to create a new thread in order to keep track of those books which are bugged and require ZOS’s intervention to fix, and allow players to ask for help finding books they might be looking for. The ultimate goal of this thread is, with the help of the community of players and ZOS, to allow people to reach 100% Eidetic Memory completion on any character, regardless of alliance, provided they do necessary quests and have necessary chapters and DLC.

When it comes to Eidetic Memory books, there are several issues which typically cause a book to be unobtainable:

1) The area they are in is only accessible during a quest (after the quest, or after a certain stage in the quest, interacting with the access door is greyed out and the area is inaccessible). Interacting with them is not required to progress the quest, and so they are very easy to miss.
2) The book is a quest item. It starts the quest, can be read during the quest, or is placed in the inventory during a quest, but after the quest or after a certain stage, becomes inaccessible. Interacting with these books (thus giving the Eidetic Memory entry) is not required during the quest, and there is no post-quest location. In some cases, the book is placed into the inventory with no notice and removed at a later quest stage (sometimes as soon as you talk to the next person). These books MUST be read during that time period, as no post-quest location exists.
3) As people progress through various quests, certain areas of the world change, depending on what quests are active and what might be happening in the area. In the process of this phasing, some of the books may disappear. If one doesn’t obtain that entry during the period when the book is active, there may not be another opportunity.
4) The books are only obtainable within the Gate Camps of certain alliances. Access to these books is restricted only to members of one or two alliances. Fortunately, there are very few books like this, but copies of them need to be placed in areas accessible by members of the other alliances.

I want to give a special Thank You to Ayantir, Garkin, and Kyoma for keeping the LoreBooks addon up-to-date and to Mix for creating the last thread, keeping it updated as often as he was able, and giving me permission to make this one. I also want to thank all the amazing community members that have helped and continue to help fellow players find books and note which ones are bugged and in need of fixing. A huge thanks also goes to all those people at ZOS who have worked together to create this amazing world we play around in and all of the bits of lore we’re chasing after, and to those who take the time to run down and fix those pesky books that we report. With motif pages, Shalidor’s Library, and Eidetic Memory books, there are 4162 books currently (as of pre-Elsweyr) scattered throughout the world in PvP areas, in overland zones, throughout quests, in dungeons, trials, and arenas, and even randomly hidden within various bookcases - with more being added in every update – and players are talking about and actively working toward trying to collect them all. How amazing is that?

Imperial City Bookshelf Guide
(Credit to Mix for the maps, routes, and pictures)

Note that these are from the perspective of an EP character and may not be the most reasonable route if one is entering from one of the other alliance main camps. Also included are pictures of all of the bookshelves. Note that there are also 8 bookshelves located within the Temple Rectory in the SE area of the Temple District (four stacks of two bookshelves, one on top of the other, with two stacks on either side of the area at the top of the stairs) and one bookshelf located in the room underneath the flag in the Elven Gardens district (down the stairs from where you enter that room). These are not pictured or included in the route.
Temple District:
fQBy0Wg.png
IC Bookshelf 1:
T9Z7kfn.png
IC Bookshelf 2:
BJ0sdxB.png
IC Bookshelf 3:
Jump down to reach bookshelf 3.
NIL50lQ.png
IC Bookshelf 4:
f71EKiP.png
IC Bookshelf 5:
Bookshelf 5 is in the same room as bookshelf 4.
m5kYLz4.png
IC Bookshelf 6:
FhpUTul.png
IC Bookshelf 7:
z1ePJ0B.png
Nobles District: Be aware there is a patrolling boss monster along this route!
I1cFXTQ.png
IC Bookshelf 8:
TLFfM2c.png
IC Bookshelf 9:
3p3snMy.png
Elven Gardens District:
KGkmZfy.png
IC Bookshelf 10:
fGPNN8Q.png
There is also a bookshelf under the capture area in this district.
Memorial District:
kidIOlU.png
IC Bookshelf 11:
aka the "book stacks"
B2IsBiA.png

If one follows the listed route and, additionally, checks the bookshelves listed above, they will come across roughly 27 different bookshelves. Note that it is possible to enter different Imperial City campaigns and find different books within the same bookshelves, potentially bringing that total up to 54 with the Elsweyr update’s two Imperial City campaigns.

If having difficulty locating the following books, check the images (Credit to Mix for accumulating these, and those credited for the images):
  • Letter to Artisan Craftworks: Letters and Missives: Mournhold, Deshaan
    D8iUDDs.png
  • Or Else: Daedric Cults: Fighter's Guild area, Riften
    F4FqEj5.png
  • A Death Desired: Final Words: (moved in Update 12): Cyrodiil
    WoZj9mP.png
  • Kalodar's Letter: Final Words: Venim Woods area, The Rift
    mZkfwZp.png
  • Larellei, Wenayasille, Morilata, Angalayond: Mysteries and Clues: Rivenspire thank you @StrangerFull for the new location and screenshots!
  • S25jiyR.png
  • eLEp2nr.png
  • Missing Citizens: Mysteries and Clues: Dawnbreak, Auridon
    1S70NCg.png
  • The Knighting Ceremony: Rituals and Revelations:
    xpPeEzQ.png
  • The Hidden Key: Mysteries and Clues:
    vOrqN80.png
  • Knowing Satakal: Devoted and Deranged: IC Bookshelf (Book Stack room in Memorial)
    X602mDi.png
  • The Fires Guide the Way: Mysteries and Clues: Shada's Tear, Craglorn in the City District, book starts quest (repeatable) and the prompt on read says "The Light Holds the Way" instead of the proper title.
  • Mauloch, Orc-Father: Lore and Culture: inside Abamath Ruins, Malabal Tor; also found on IC bookshelves
  • Letter to Egranor: Letters and Missives:
    3xD1IVW
    3jXTsIu
    Thanks @StrangerFull for the screenshots
  • Tome of Daedric Portals: Daedric Cults: inside Eldrald Undercroft in Rivenspire. On a table just to the left as you enter the circular room with the daedric portal thingy.
  • Mercano's Journal: Personal Journals: inside the Mages Guild in Woodhearth, Greenshade, on a stool in front of the right fireplace
  • Star Teeth, Volume 1: Rituals and Revelations:
    Screenshot_20161028_002058.jpg
    Thanks @Sounomi for the screenshot.
  • Quartermaster's Log: Diaries and Logs: Blackheart Haven; Thank @StrangerFull for the screenshots.
    hVFSxip
    Q4cmoPm
  • Distribution Notes: Houses, Shops, and Trade: Kalari's House in S'ren-ja. If you go upstairs there is a wardrobe that actually leads into a secret room. There are bookshelves on either side of the door leading back out which have the lorebooks on them. Thanks @jackhburgess
  • Enak-do's Ledger: Houses, Shops, and Trade: same as above

Regarding the Books of Torinaan and “Blessings of the Eight”
Within Torinaan in Auridon, connected to the area quest “Blessings of the Eight,” there are eleven books located within four shrine complexes, one to Magnus and Syrabane, one to Mara and Stendarr, one to Trinimac and Xarxes, and one to Anu and Y’ffre. Each deity has a book associated with it that has a copy located within its shrine room, and then there are three additional books, The Fires of Truth, Letter to the Aldarch and Brief Letter to the Aldarch. Note that, once a player cleanses both shrines within one of the complexes, the player loses access to that complex and the copies of the books within. Additionally, while Letter to the Aldarch, Brief Letter to the Aldarch, and The Fires of Truth receive locations in the overworld on the platform and steps surrounding the stairs down to the Shrine of Anu and Y’ffre, I was unable to locate similarly placed copies of the other books. However, based on the UESP log information, it would appear that these other books might be included in the pool of books accessed from bookshelves in the following zones.
Bones of the Forest (Shrine of Y’ffre): Coils of the Father (Shrine of Anu):
Gifts of Magnus (Shrine of Magnus): The Apprentices’ God (Shrine of Syrabane):
Eastmarch, Alik’r Desert, Malabal Tor, Summerset, Artaeum
esoitem.uesp.net/viewlog.php?record=location&filter=bookId&filterid=215
The Heart of Love (Shrine of Mara):
Shadowfen, Rivenspire, Greenshade, Coldharbour, Summerset
esoitem.uesp.net/viewlog.php?record=location&filter=bookId&filterid=256
The Sounding Horn (Shrine of Stendarr):
Eastmarch, Alik’r Desert, Malabal Tor, Summerset*
esoitem.uesp.net/viewlog.php?record=location&filter=bookId&filterid=1214
The Everscriven Tome (Shrine of Xarxes):
Stonefalls, Glenumbra, Auridon, Bleakrock, Summerset
esoitem.uesp.net/viewlog.php?record=location&filter=bookId&filterid=169
The Warrior’s Blade (Shrine of Trinimac): *While randomly checking bookshelves inside the Monastery of Serene Harmony in Shimmerene, I did come across a copy of The Sounding Horn, which seems to confirm that these books do appear in these pools. It’s not an optimal means of obtaining the books, as the bookshelf pools tend to be quite large and it’s unpredictable when you might obtain the book you’re looking for, but it is an option to find them. Another would be for ZOS to place them in the world within the above-ground area of Torinaan. One possible spot could be at approximately 41.31x25.90 (Auridon) on top of a large stone circle near the door to the Central Torinaan Shrine.

List of Known Currently-Bugged Books

- Tome of the Undaunted : Handbills, Posters, and Decrees
This is the unsigned version that is located within the three Undaunted Enclaves. From repeated runthroughs of "Taking the Undaunted Pledge" with characters of multiple alliances, I have noticed that it appears this book is entirely unobtainable, as opposed to just being unobtainable after the quest. Before the quest, no interactions with any of the three Tomes are possible. During the first step of the quest, one signs the Undaunted Tome and, at any time afterward, the only copy that can be interacted with (the one in Grahtwood) only shows the Tome of the Undaunted (Signed). Possible solutions for this book include putting a version somewhere else at one of the enclaves, or even on the pedestal at one of the non-AD Undaunted Enclaves where the books cannot currently be interacted with after the quest, regardless of which alliance the character is in. Another option, since this is literally the same content as Tome of the Undaunted (signed) with the exception of the player’s signature, is to delete this book and just have the signed version be the only one, accessible after completing the associated quest
- Illuminus : Summerset Scrolls
This books is part of the quest "Illusions of Grandeur" in the Illumination Academy, and is recovered and shelved as part of the quest (after which it disappears). No post-quest location seems to exist.
- Naliara's Notes, Days 2, 8, 13, and 18; King's Haven Territory Record, King's Haven Trade Record, and King's Haven Scouting Record : Summerset Scrolls
These books are part of the quest "Savage Truths." During the quest, they are interacted with, the note pages disappear, and the plaques on which the records are kept become uninteractable. If a bug occurs where the books aren't added to the collection at this moment, it cannot be fixed. Thus, a post-quest location for them is needed.
- Lirendel's Family Shrine : Summerset Scrolls
This only appears during the quest "A Duelist's Dilemma," on the statue in Tor-Hame-Khard. After the quest, the plaque is once again uninteractable. I'll need to do this quest again to remember where the duel takes place in order to be certain that a rubbing of it isn't left there, but I do not believe that will be the case.
- For Captain Telomure; Journal of Justiciar Avanaire : Summerset Scrolls
These two books are located in Tor-Hame-Khard during the quest "Pearls Before Traitors" and disappear on quest turn-in. As interaction with these is not required for the quest, it makes it very easy for the player to miss their opportunity to retrieve these books for their collection. Therefore, it would be wise to either ensure that they remain present in their current locations after the quest is turned in or to give them a post-quest location, possibly outside the delve near Captain Telomure.
- To the Villainous Manacar : Summerset Scrolls
This book is part of the quest "Bantering with Bandits" and is found in the winery near Alinor during the quest. After the quest, however, this book disappears. There is no post-quest location that I have been able to find.
- Dead Water Riddle Fragment : Lore of Murkmire This book will be fixed on the Live servers when the Stonethorn Patch (6.1.5) is released. You'll be able to find it in the Cyrodillic Collections building within Lilmoth.
While the Bright-Throat Fragment has been given a post-quest location, neither @virtus753 nor I have been able to locate a post-quest copy of this one. I have searched areas in and around the Dead-Water Village, the Tomb of Many Spears, and the Blackguard camps which the player and Jaxsik-Orrn sabotage, but have had no luck. This could simply be due to not looking in the right place, but it would still merit making sure that nothing has gone wrong with any fix (and maybe suggesting to us where we should look that is the right place).
- Crumpled Nursery Rhyme : Elsweyr Epistles and Almanacs
This book is encountered as part of the quest "In Sickness and In Health" at the Anequina Aqueduct, and is even present after the quest. However, there is no entry for it in the Eidetic Memory Library. Perhaps it should be added?
- Sealed Letter : Mysteries and Clues
This is the book that starts the Dragonguard prologue quest "The Dragonguard Legacy." It is obtained from the Crown Store and placed into the player's inventory, then removed as soon as the player speaks to Kasura. If the player did not read the book while it was in the inventory or (for whatever reason) reading the book didn't actually add credit, there is then no way to read this book and add it to the Library. The simplest solution to this issue is to place a copy of the book in the room above the stables in the Valley of the Blades where many of the Dragonguard prologue books have a post-quest home.

If you find any other bugged books, are able to locate a copy of the bugged books I listed, or have any questions about any other books, please don’t hesitate to say so, and post coordinates or map pictures if you are able, so that others are able to find them/ check it out more easily. The entire purpose of this is for the Community to help fellow players find the books they’re looking for, and it doesn’t work without y’all.

Additionally, if anyone at ZOS has any questions or suggestions on how I can make this more useful to y’all, please don’t hesitate to chime in. As evidenced by what I found with Orders to Halskar recently, even a lot of people running through an area can miss things or be mistaken about what’s causing it. If you have evidence that “Hey, I really don’t think this book is broken and I’m not sure why you all are saying it is,” even if it’s just to hint “Go look in this general location,” go ahead! If you have questions about something we’re seeing and want to know our quest status in an area, be my guest! If you just want to chat about the hunt or the books themselves, perfect! You folks are part of this as well, and if we can help y’all pinpoint issues going on with these books or confirm that no issue exists, that’s outstanding! My ultimate hope is that, at some point, we can completely remove the “Bugs” portion of the title, and make this thread (or a different iteration) solely about helping people locate those books they’re having trouble finding or chat about the ones they’ve found, so they can experience the story you’ve created to the fullest without having to wonder “Wait, have I completely missed out on getting that story on this toon?” Y’all and the work you do are an integral part of making that happen.

Anyway, that’s more than enough chatter from me for now. Happy hunting, folks, and I’ll see y’all in Tamriel!
Edited by BrightOblivion on July 24, 2020 3:55PM
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4/11/2019: Added Conversion Status and Nahirah's Journal to the List of Bugged Books.
    4/22/2019: Added the books connected to "Savage Truths" and "Illusions of Grandeur," and Lirendel's Family Shrine to the List of Bugged Books. Also added notes of which books have been fixed so far during this PTS cycle to the first post.
    5/5/2019: Added For Captain Telomure, Pearl Research Notes, Log 3, and Journal of Justiciar Avanaire to the List of Bugged Books. Noted down the books which have been fixed in 5.0.2's PTS patch.
    6/4/2019: Added Kinlady's Letter, Treaty of Khenarthi's Roost, Crumpled Nursery Rhyme, and Sealed Imperial Summons to the List of Bugged Books. Moved books which were fixed in the Elsweyr patch to their own section.
    6/9/2019: Added Note to Vanus and To the Villainous Manacar to the List of Bugged Books.
    7/6/2019: Added Krisandra Edrald's Journal, Vols. 1, 2, and 3 to the list of bugged books.
    Edited by BrightOblivion on July 6, 2019 3:48PM
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Repurposing this post to make finding the list of bugged books easier (it may get lost with all the other pictures, notes, and comments in the first post, and I don't want that).

List of Known Currently-Bugged Books

- Tome of the Undaunted : Handbills, Posters, and Decrees
    This is the unsigned version that is located within the three Undaunted Enclaves. From repeated runthroughs of "Taking the Undaunted Pledge" with characters of multiple alliances, I have noticed that it appears this book is entirely unobtainable, as opposed to just being unobtainable after the quest. Before the quest, no interactions with any of the three Tomes are possible. During the first step of the quest, one signs the Undaunted Tome and, at any time afterward, the only copy that can be interacted with (the one in Grahtwood) only shows the Tome of the Undaunted (Signed). Possible solutions for this book include putting a version somewhere else at one of the enclaves, or even on the pedestal at one of the non-AD Undaunted Enclaves where the books cannot currently be interacted with after the quest, regardless of which alliance the character is in. Another option, since this is literally the same content as Tome of the Undaunted (signed) with the exception of the player’s signature, is to delete this book and just have the signed version be the only one, accessible after completing the associated quest
    - Illuminus : Summerset Scrolls
    This books is part of the quest "Illusions of Grandeur" in the Illumination Academy, and is recovered and shelved as part of the quest (after which it disappears). No post-quest location seems to exist.
    - Naliara's Notes, Days 2, 8, 13, and 18; King's Haven Territory Record, King's Haven Trade Record, and King's Haven Scouting Record : Summerset Scrolls
    These books are part of the quest "Savage Truths." During the quest, they are interacted with, the note pages disappear, and the plaques on which the records are kept become uninteractable. If a bug occurs where the books aren't added to the collection at this moment, it cannot be fixed. Thus, a post-quest location for them is needed.
    - Lirendel's Family Shrine : Summerset Scrolls
    This only appears during the quest "A Duelist's Dilemma," on the statue in Tor-Hame-Khard. After the quest, the plaque is once again uninteractable. I'll need to do this quest again to remember where the duel takes place in order to be certain that a rubbing of it isn't left there, but I do not believe that will be the case.
    - For Captain Telomure; Journal of Justiciar Avanaire : Summerset Scrolls
    These two books are located in Tor-Hame-Khard during the quest "Pearls Before Traitors" and disappear on quest turn-in. As interaction with these is not required for the quest, it makes it very easy for the player to miss their opportunity to retrieve these books for their collection. Therefore, it would be wise to either ensure that they remain present in their current locations after the quest is turned in or to give them a post-quest location, possibly outside the delve near Captain Telomure.
    - To the Villainous Manacar : Summerset Scrolls
    This book is part of the quest "Bantering with Bandits" and is found in the winery near Alinor during the quest. After the quest, however, this book disappears. There is no post-quest location that I have been able to find.
    - Dead Water Riddle Fragment : Lore of Murkmire
    While the Bright-Throat Fragment has been given a post-quest location, neither @virtus753 nor I have been able to locate a post-quest copy of this one. I have searched areas in and around the Dead-Water Village, the Tomb of Many Spears, and the Blackguard camps which the player and Jaxsik-Orrn sabotage, but have had no luck. This could simply be due to not looking in the right place, but it would still merit making sure that nothing has gone wrong with any fix (and maybe suggesting to us where we should look that is the right place).
    - Crumpled Nursery Rhyme : Elsweyr Epistles and Almanacs
    This book is encountered as part of the quest "In Sickness and In Health" at the Anequina Aqueduct, and is even present after the quest. However, there is no entry for it in the Eidetic Memory Library. Perhaps it should be added?
    - Sealed Letter : Mysteries and Clues
    This is the book that starts the Dragonguard prologue quest "The Dragonguard Legacy." It is obtained from the Crown Store and placed into the player's inventory, then removed as soon as the player speaks to Kasura. If the player did not read the book while it was in the inventory or (for whatever reason) reading the book didn't actually add credit, there is then no way to read this book and add it to the Library. The simplest solution to this issue is to place a copy of the book in the room above the stables in the Valley of the Blades where many of the Dragonguard prologue books have a post-quest home.
    Edited by BrightOblivion on May 5, 2020 3:25PM
  • Oldbushie
    Oldbushie
    ✭✭✭
    To continue on some points brought up near the tail-end of the last thread:

@Oldbushie While I didn't include Conversion Status in the list, it's not because I'm ignoring it. I'm still trying to run it down and figure out what's going on, and have in fact run through the quest associated with Paragon's Remembrance three times in the past couple days. All three times, the quest arrow pointed at the book and, when I ran it the third time and tried to avoid the book, I found that I couldn't. I *had to* interact with the book, which put it in that character's eidetic memory collection, before it would let me progress the quest. Assuming you've completed the quest "Forcing the Faith" given by the orc Razasha outside the area, has this not always been the case?

Either way, I'm not super sure why they couldn't ensure that the book was located on its table once the quest was finished, just in case they missed something at one point. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on.
    Thanks for the heads up!

I know there have been many times when books would not be placed in Eidetic Memory after being read, though they often get fixed post-release to properly trigger. However, that doesn't help people who ran the quest when it first came out. I probably did read it as part of the quest but never noticed that it didn't trigger in Eidetic Memory until the LoreBooks addon was available.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for your work on this. As a book collector from early TES Games, I do seek out all tomes. This thread, and the previous one are invaluable.

Appreciate your efforts
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Meesha1170
    Meesha1170
    ✭✭✭✭
    @BrightOblivion- now that you mention the environment changing throughout different phases of the quest chain, the notion that Orders from Halskar fails to carry over into the last phase and is in fact all together missing rather than being submerged in the snow sounds more plausible.
  • znrk
    znrk
    ✭✭✭
    @BrightOblivion thank you for your work here - much appreciated.

Please add one more book to the list of books that are bugged: Nahirah's Journal. This book is not available to players who finished Alik'r storyline but skipped "The search for Shiri" quest, and that quest is not active after finishing Alik'r storyline. My original bugreport is here and there is also another thread about that book. I believe the easiest solution is to make the book available in this location not only upon completing "The search for Shiri" quest, but also upon completing "Amputating the Hand" quest where we defeat Shiri.
    PC/EU
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alrighty. Added Conversion Status and Nahirah's Journal to the list! With Nahirah's Journal, I'd seen it listed in the previous Excel document, but the only explanation provided there was "post-quest location?" Having completed "The Search for Shiri," I went to the location, saw the book, and went "Umm...it's right here after the quest, isn't it?" So thank you very much for linking those threads and for the explanation behind the issue. I had no idea that quest went away when starting "Amputating the Hand."

Provided I have access, I do intend to check on the listed books when the PTS updates on Monday, and to try to at least run through the Elsweyr quests in order to double-check that those books are in working order and there aren't any phasing issues. Those notes and updates will likely be restricted to the PTS forum due to potential NDA restrictions and the like. However, if someone experiencing the aforementioned issue with Nahirah's Journal can check periodically through the PTS cycle to note any changes (in case they aren't mentioned in the patch notes), it would be much appreciated. My main character, whom I will be using to check on most of the listed issues, has done "The Search for Shiri," and so the book is already there. It's also behind the series of quests stretching most of the way across the Alik'r, so getting another character to the point s/he could verify if it's still bugged is a bit cumbersome.
  • Chosin137
    Chosin137
    ✭✭
    As Nahira's Journal and the 3 Summerset books are the only remaining ones I have left, I will be personally checking this @BrightOblivion .
  • Meesha1170
    Meesha1170
    ✭✭✭✭
    @BrightOblivion Look forward to seeing if your research yields any results. I myself am only 5 books away as of this moment and they are all bugged ones. Hopefully some are fixed with Elsweyr.
  • Oldbushie
    Oldbushie
    ✭✭✭
    "Seek Adventure in Murkmire!" has been nowhere to be found. I tried searching for it before I started Murkmire and after I finished the entire Murkmire storyline, to no avail. Is there a special trigger for it I missed somehow?

Edit: Apparently it's visible after you finish one of the Murkmire Prologue dailies. Kinda weird, but okay.
    Edited by Oldbushie on April 15, 2019 2:07PM
  • Chosin137
    Chosin137
    ✭✭
    Sapiarch’s Recommendation, Writ of Valid Credentials : Summerset Scrolls fixed as of Elswyr PTS, available on the table in Queens palace. Invitation to the Kinlady’s Conference still missing. Nahirah's Journal still missing.
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chosin137 wrote: »
    Sapiarch’s Recommendation, Writ of Valid Credentials : Summerset Scrolls fixed as of Elswyr PTS, available on the table in Queens palace. Invitation to the Kinlady’s Conference still missing. Nahirah's Journal still missing.

That's outstanding regarding Sapiarch's and the Writ! I can confirm they're there in the conference room, which should make @Carbonised happy. It also brings my total missing down to 6. I really wish they'd included it in the notes. @ZOS_GinaBruno , can you ask the folks who fixed it if others made it in but didn't make the PTS notes? So far, with these two and House Hlaalu Merchant Camp, that makes 3.

Knowing which ones are supposedly fixed helps us tell you "Yes, they are" or "No, they aren't." Not telling us does not. Please help us help you.

In the interest of helping to crowdsource, because I completely missed those 2 @Chosin137 caught, I have searched:

Fort Morvunskar post-"Sleep for the Dead" (no Orders)

Kinlady Avinisse's Mansion, the Anchors Aweigh Inn, the Cathedral of Serene Harmony, and streets near those locations (no Invitation)

Cyrodillic Collections and the Deadwater Gravesinger's House (no Deadwater Riddle Fragment)

Coin Brothers' Cornerclub, Stormhold Outlaw Refuge, Hew's Mane, Thieves Den, and the area outside the cistern entrance (no Rhanbiq's notes)

Both DC scroll temple gates (no Further Instructions or Information Request)
    ---

Currently, I've turned my attention to Elsweyr and its books, but will check in throughout the cycle. Hopefully with notes of fixes in the Patch Notes, maybe?
    Edited by BrightOblivion on April 16, 2019 5:28PM
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the request of a guild member, I'm currently investigating the following books for post-quest locations. If anyone happens to know of any, please don't hesitate to point them out.

Illuminus, The Forest Dark, The Truth of Minotaurs, The Siege of Ald Marak : Summerset Scrolls
    These books are part of the quest "Illusions of Grandeur" in the Illumination Academy, and are recovered and shelved as part of the quest (after which they disappear). No post-quest location seems to exist.

Naliara's Notes, Days 2, 8, 13, and 18; King's Haven Territory Record, King's Haven Trade Record, and King's Haven Scouting Record : Summerset Scrolls

Lirendel's Family Shrine : Summerset Scrolls

----

My current findings on the PTS (as of 5.0.1) :
    • Orders to Halskar is FIXED!!!! (Checked on my main character who has done both quests in the area, and it was there on the ground by the steps)
    • Invitation to the Kinlady's Conference has a location on the table near Riharai the Brewer in the Anchor's Aweigh Inn in Shimmerene!!!!
    • Conversion Status is on the table in Paragon's Remembrance once the quest is complete!!!! ( @Oldbushie )
    • For those missing the books on Norg-Tzel (Blackguard Instructions One, Two, and Three and The Curse of Beela-Kar, these are now scattered about Jee-Lar and Concordia near Stormhold!!!!
    • Hazak's Lair in Khenarthis' Roost can now be entered even after the associated quest, meaning that No Reason to Worry no longer needs a taxi!!!!

• A location for a book labeled "Rhanbiq's Notes" has been added to the barrel near the Tip Board in the Thieves' Den. HOWEVER interacting with it opens up the Riddles of the Rithana-di-Renada and does not add Rhanbiq's Notes to the player's collection. (I just reported this in-game, but didn't grab the report number.) On the plus side, it's one step closer to having this one fixed!
    • I have checked the three Undaunted enclaves, and checked the inns of the three starter cities where the player is first inducted into the Undaunted for good measure, and have not been able to locate a copy of the unsigned Tome of the Undaunted after completing the quest "Signing the Undaunted Pledge." I will add that the Tomes in Mournhold and Wayrest remain uninteractable. Only the copy in Elden Root actually acts like a book. (/bug at Mournhold: 190422-003503)
    • I have searched Cyrodillic Collections, the area in and around the Swallowed Grove, the Deadwater Gravesinger's House, and the grove where Xukas hears the chimes, and have not been able to locate a copy of either the Bright-Throat Riddle Fragment or the Deadwater Riddle Fragment. I used /bug to mark these by the table in Cyrodillic Collections (190422-993471 for Bright-Throat and 190422-003481 for Deadwater, respectively).
    • I have also searched the area in and around both the Gate of Alma Ruma and the Gate of Ni-Mohk and seen no sign of Information Request from Emeric or Updated Instructions from Dortene, meaning that they are still completely unobtainable to members of the other two alliances no matter what they do (something I find extremely frustrating). I used /bug at the Gate of Alma Ruma (reports 190422-003790 and 190422-003812 respectively). If these are located anywhere but the area surrounding the gatehouses, more specific dev intervention is going to be needed, as the area between them and the camps is particularly large and unpleasant to search for something the size of a letter.
    • I have searched the Illumination Academy Stacks and the area around the Illumination Academy, and have been unable to locate copies of Illuminus, The Truth of Minotaurs, The Siege of Ald Marak or The Forest Dark after the quest "Illusions of Grandeur" for those who encountered bugs with the books when they did the quest.
    • The books connected to the quest "Savage Truths" are still without post-quest locations. These include Naliara's Notes, Days 2, 8, 13, and 18, King's Haven Territory Record, King's Haven Trade Record, and King's Haven Scouting Record. While they are interacted with during the course of the quest, bugs have occurred in the past which have rendered them unobtainable at the time. As such, a post-quest location would be beneficial.

Note that I'm still in the process of running through all the books that have been reported to me, so additions are likely.
    Edited by BrightOblivion on April 22, 2019 7:55PM
  • Chosin137
    Chosin137
    ✭✭
    CONFIRMED Nahirah's Journal Added to PTS 2! yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah booooiz!
  • Chosin137
    Chosin137
    ✭✭
    That completes my collection on the Ebonheart Pact. All books now obtainable.
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chosin137 Where'd you find the DC books (Instructions and Info Request), then? I've scoured the gate areas with no luck so far. I'd also say that, unless they've fixed the other books that bugged out for people during the quests, and made a copy of the unsigned undaunted tome available after Taking the Undaunted Pledge, the celebration's premature. The progress is phenomenal, no ifs, ands, or buts. Just not quite done.
  • Meesha1170
    Meesha1170
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice work guys. Thanks for your dedication. Reading the updates here about the PTS I should be caught up on Eidetic Memory sans the Dead Water Riddle Fragment if things go live as is. It seems like I’ve waited for Orders from Halskar forever so only one more month about.

I’m going to try my best to be as *** retentive as possible with Elsweyr and check my inventory with each step on each quest and scour areas before they are quest locked.
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Meesha1170 From my playthrough of Elsweyr (specifically to find any spots where books might be bugged so I could report them while it was on PTS), I can say they did an outstanding job of ensuring that books which disappear during quests have post-quest locations. I reported 4, though one winds up in your inventory until you delete it. The other 3 are quest objectives, but I suggested making a post quest location just in case they bug out for someone. Hopefully, they do so.

Note that I still have yet to find 8 entries, likely because they're in the trial. Haven't gone in search of 11 other people, so I haven't gotten past the first trash pack.
  • Zayoo
    Zayoo
    ✭✭✭
    @BrightOblivion

Pearl Research Notes, Log (Summerset Scrolls) 3 is also bugged if you don't pick it up during the quest 'Pearls before Traitors' in the Tor-Hame-Khard Delve. Is vanishes after you finish the quest.
    Maybe you can report that one, too.
  • Zayoo
    Zayoo
    ✭✭✭
    should have been Pearl Research Notes, Log 3 (Summerset Scrolls)
  • Kyoma
    Kyoma
    ✭✭✭
    Bookmarked! :)
    Will I be able to forget all the wounds that pierce my flesh?
    You and your childish justice. I'll rip it to pieces.
    Come on, it's showtime. A rain of blood like a volcano
    And now I'll blow all of you and you and you...
    All to tiny pieces. All to tiny pieces.
  • DanaeldeWitz
    DanaeldeWitz
    ✭✭
    @BrightOblivion

Thank you for your work and your messages.

And thank to Zenimax for listening players and fixing reported books !
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just noting here that, due to EU character copies currently being on the PTS, I'm not going to be as able to run down books, particularly those like the Bright-Throat/Deadwater riddle fragments which are behind a series of quests, both because I don't have any EU toons that are to that point and because my next few weeks are rather busy, meaning that I won't have as much time to get them there. That being said, I'm not the only one reporting books (or shouldn't be). If you have one that you're unable to get, report it. Run through the quest on a different toon or one on the PTS and watch where it goes (sort of like the game with the bean and the three cups, or the queen and two other cards). I'd suggest paying close attention to the start and end locations of quests, or the areas around entrances and exits. Another resource I've found incredibly useful is the UESP Log Data Viewer (found here). While it's not always accurate, it can be a good place to get ideas for other places to look, or tell you what cell it might be in. The more people running things down, the more likely one finds something the others might miss. The more (thoughtful and informative, maybe not just "This is broken! Fix it!") reports ZOS gets, the more they might understand the impact of a problem. The more information you give me, the more I can include in my report and in my entries in the first post without having to run through the quest and any potential prerequisites (thus, the faster it gets included). Hopefully, that makes sense.

Now, on to the latest book I've been looking at. Since it's been quite some time since I've run my main character through "Taking the Undaunted Pledge" and it's one of the three books I've personally been unable to get, even on the PTS, I decided to try to zero in on what's going on with the Tome of the Undaunted. Once again, let me point out that there are two versions with very similar names, both under "Handbills, Posters, and Decrees": the Tome of the Undaunted and the Tome of the Undaunted (signed). The difference? One of them (the signed one) has an additional line with your character's signature, and is found at the Grahtwood Undaunted Enclave any time after the first step of the quest "Taking the Undaunted Pledge." There are no issues with this book. (Well, apart from it only being found at one of the three Undaunted Enclaves, I guess)

The other version (Tome of the Undaunted) is the one that people, including me, have been having trouble with. Trying to figure out what was going on, I ran three different toons through the quest, looking at each of the three locations before, during, and after. The first thing I noticed is that there are two ways to get the quest: one which you receive from a letter in your inbox when your character hits level 45, and the other in which you talk to Maj and which begins one step later than the first one (the step where you sign the Tome). Before accepting either version of the quest (or after declining it), none of the three books can be interacted with. Not in Wayrest, not in Mournhold, not in Elden Root. After accepting the first version of the quest, you are able to interact with any of the three versions in order to sign it, but that's the extent of the available actions. Once signed, or after accepting the second version of the quest, the only copy that allows interaction is the one in Elden Root, and only to read and add to your collection the signed version. Nowhere in this process does one encounter the unsigned, plain-old Tome of the Undaunted, meaning that there is no way to add it to one's collection by reading it at the Enclave. This might not always have been the case, but it is now, both on Live and on the PTS.

So I turned to here and the first thing I noticed is all those Abah's Landing entries, and the ones in Fulstrom Homestead (which is the first location an intrepid adventurer ventures in the Thieves' Guild line). When I went to some of those coordinates on the PTS, I found bookshelves nearby. Admittedly, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me that they would include this book in the pool for bookshelves in Hew's Bane/Thieves Guild, but stranger decisions have been made and I couldn't think of anywhere else to check. So, off and on, when I have downtime, I've been repeatedly checking 70-some bookshelves in Abah's Landing (in the Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, both inns, and the various shops)...with zero success. That being said, with the way bookshelf pools appear to the player, there is zero way to be sure exactly what books are or, more particularly, aren't within an individual pool, short of Word of ZOS. It might be there and I just haven't come across it yet, or it might not be there and I'm just wasting my time. I've no way of really knowing. (I hate this part about bookshelves, by the way.)

Even if it is there, it doesn't really seem (to me) like the best place for it, either from a "Does this make sense?" standpoint or from an "Is this a reasonable place for players to get it?" standpoint, due to how vast the pool is. To fix this, I would suggest one of two courses of action to the fine folks at ZOS. The first is to put a physical copy of the book somewhere in the enclave or somewhere else in the world (please not a bookshelf) for players to find, whether or not they've done the quest. The second is to simply remove its entry from the Eidetic Memory collection. While this would normally be something I would balk at, I consider it an option for one specific reason. Apart from the addition of the player's name to the list, it is already a part of the collection as Tome of the Undaunted (Signed), a version which, due to the inclusion of the character's name in the list, makes it more relevant to lore. Furthermore, because there are two books with two very similar names and exactly one different line, it seems to cause confusion both for the players trying to find it and for those trying to help. Thus, maybe it makes more sense to get rid of the unsigned (and currently unobtainable) version if it's at all possible.

@Sirona_Starr (since you're the most recent person I've seen searching for it) what do you think of that assessment? Does that agree with what you've been seeing?

Has anyone else noticed anything different?

(The other books I've been looking for as I've been doing this are Updated Instructions from Dortene and Information Request from Emeric, because they're the other two of my three missing books due to my lorehunter being EP and not having access to the Southern High Rock Gate Camp. If anyone has any information about additional locations for these that I might be missing (outside of the Log Viewer's locations in Hew's Bane and No-Shira which I've checked repeatedly with no success), please let me know. I'd seriously like to have those two done with.)

@Zayoo It also appears that at least one other book related to that quest (For Captain Telemure or somesuch) may also be missing a post-quest location, and both are easy to miss, given they aren't quest objectives or anything like that. I also didn't see either of them (or the bad lady's journal) outside the delve. The only other spot I could think of them maybe being is in the room where you fight said bad lady and take the pearl. Really, it would be a good idea to make them present after the quest, either outside the delve or in their original locations. However, I don't currently have time to make those reports, or more thoroughly check the place, as I'm in the middle of trying to rush out the door. I'm sure your reports carry just as much weight as anyone else's with ZOS, though, and I'll add them to my list in the first post when I get the chance, probably later this evening or tomorrow morning.
    Edited by BrightOblivion on May 2, 2019 9:58PM
  • Sirona_Starr
    Sirona_Starr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soggy Note, in the boat, as part of the prologue quest for Clockwork City - located in the boat south shore of Khenarthi's Roost. I don't have credit for it, and completely finished all aspects of Clockwork City awhile ago. I don't know if it was because I was in a group with someone else and they read it and I didn't. Would like this added to the list of "can't get it after quest books" please, as I stare at it on my map :(

There is a book in Cyrodiil, in the DC area. It's under a bed in a house inhabited by an NPC, called Northern Heartlands Journal. I spent 30 minutes yesterday trying to grab that book. Occasionally you can get an E prompt when you are far enough away from the bed, but the hit zone is minuscule, every time I managed to catch the prompt with my mouse/target, I couldn't press E fast enough, or the mouse moved away, and I couldn't get the prompt again. Perhaps they could put it ON TOP OF THE BED???????

By the way, you have done an outstanding, amazing job of summarizing the problem lorebooks. Thank you so very much!!!!

I WISH out of all things, they would make Eidetic Memory account wide........ then they wouldn't have to fix these things, or we wouldn't have to obsess so much.
    Edited by Sirona_Starr on May 2, 2019 10:11PM
  • Sirona_Starr
    Sirona_Starr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just noting here that, due to EU character copies currently being on the PTS, I'm not going to be as able to run down books, particularly those like the Bright-Throat/Deadwater riddle fragments which are behind a series of quests, both because I don't have any EU toons that are to that point and because my next few weeks are rather busy, meaning that I won't have as much time to get them there. That being said, I'm not the only one reporting books (or shouldn't be). If you have one that you're unable to get, report it. Run through the quest on a different toon or one on the PTS and watch where it goes (sort of like the game with the bean and the three cups, or the queen and two other cards). I'd suggest paying close attention to the start and end locations of quests, or the areas around entrances and exits. Another resource I've found incredibly useful is the UESP Log Data Viewer (found here). While it's not always accurate, it can be a good place to get ideas for other places to look, or tell you what cell it might be in. The more people running things down, the more likely one finds something the others might miss. The more (thoughtful and informative, maybe not just "This is broken! Fix it!") reports ZOS gets, the more they might understand the impact of a problem. The more information you give me, the more I can include in my report and in my entries in the first post without having to run through the quest and any potential prerequisites (thus, the faster it gets included). Hopefully, that makes sense.

Now, on to the latest book I've been looking at. Since it's been quite some time since I've run my main character through "Taking the Undaunted Pledge" and it's one of the three books I've personally been unable to get, even on the PTS, I decided to try to zero in on what's going on with the Tome of the Undaunted. Once again, let me point out that there are two versions with very similar names, both under "Handbills, Posters, and Decrees": the Tome of the Undaunted and the Tome of the Undaunted (signed). The difference? One of them (the signed one) has an additional line with your character's signature, and is found at the Grahtwood Undaunted Enclave any time after the first step of the quest "Taking the Undaunted Pledge." There are no issues with this book. (Well, apart from it only being found at one of the three Undaunted Enclaves, I guess)

The other version (Tome of the Undaunted) is the one that people, including me, have been having trouble with. Trying to figure out what was going on, I ran three different toons through the quest, looking at each of the three locations before, during, and after. The first thing I noticed is that there are two ways to get the quest: one which you receive from a letter in your inbox when your character hits level 45, and the other in which you talk to Maj and which begins one step later than the first one (the step where you sign the Tome). Before accepting either version of the quest (or after declining it), none of the three books can be interacted with. Not in Wayrest, not in Mournhold, not in Elden Root. After accepting the first version of the quest, you are able to interact with any of the three versions in order to sign it, but that's the extent of the available actions. Once signed, or after accepting the second version of the quest, the only copy that allows interaction is the one in Elden Root, and only to read and add to your collection the signed version. Nowhere in this process does one encounter the unsigned, plain-old Tome of the Undaunted, meaning that there is no way to add it to one's collection by reading it at the Enclave. This might not always have been the case, but it is now, both on Live and on the PTS.

So I turned to here and the first thing I noticed is all those Abah's Landing entries, and the ones in Fulstrom Homestead (which is the first location an intrepid adventurer ventures in the Thieves' Guild line). When I went to some of those coordinates on the PTS, I found bookshelves nearby. Admittedly, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me that they would include this book in the pool for bookshelves in Hew's Bane/Thieves Guild, but stranger decisions have been made and I couldn't think of anywhere else to check. So, off and on, when I have downtime, I've been repeatedly checking 70-some bookshelves in Abah's Landing (in the Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, both inns, and the various shops)...with zero success. That being said, with the way bookshelf pools appear to the player, there is zero way to be sure exactly what books are or, more particularly, aren't within an individual pool, short of Word of ZOS. It might be there and I just haven't come across it yet, or it might not be there and I'm just wasting my time. I've no way of really knowing. (I hate this part about bookshelves, by the way.)

Even if it is there, it doesn't really seem (to me) like the best place for it, either from a "Does this make sense?" standpoint or from an "Is this a reasonable place for players to get it?" standpoint, due to how vast the pool is. To fix this, I would suggest one of two courses of action to the fine folks at ZOS. The first is to put a physical copy of the book somewhere in the enclave or somewhere else in the world (please not a bookshelf) for players to find, whether or not they've done the quest. The second is to simply remove its entry from the Eidetic Memory collection. While this would normally be something I would balk at, I consider it an option for one specific reason. Apart from the addition of the player's name to the list, it is already a part of the collection as Tome of the Undaunted (Signed), a version which, due to the inclusion of the character's name in the list, makes it more relevant to lore. Furthermore, because there are two books with two very similar names and exactly one different line, it seems to cause confusion both for the players trying to find it and for those trying to help. Thus, maybe it makes more sense to get rid of the unsigned (and currently unobtainable) version if it's at all possible.

@Sirona_Starr (since you're the most recent person I've seen searching for it) what do you think of that assessment? Does that agree with what you've been seeing?

Has anyone else noticed anything different?

(The other books I've been looking for as I've been doing this are Updated Instructions from Dortene and Information Request from Emeric, because they're the other two of my three missing books due to my lorehunter being EP and not having access to the Southern High Rock Gate Camp. If anyone has any information about additional locations for these that I might be missing (outside of the Log Viewer's locations in Hew's Bane and No-Shira which I've checked repeatedly with no success), please let me know. I'd seriously like to have those two done with.)

@Zayoo It also appears that at least one other book related to that quest (For Captain Telemure or somesuch) may also be missing a post-quest location, and both are easy to miss, given they aren't quest objectives or anything like that. I also didn't see either of them (or the bad lady's journal) outside the delve. The only other spot I could think of them maybe being is in the room where you fight said bad lady and take the pearl. Really, it would be a good idea to make them present after the quest, either outside the delve or in their original locations. However, I don't currently have time to make those reports, or more thoroughly check the place, as I'm in the middle of trying to rush out the door. I'm sure your reports carry just as much weight as anyone else's with ZOS, though, and I'll add them to my list in the first post when I get the chance, probably later this evening or tomorrow morning.

It does agree with what I've been seeing, completely agree with your assessment. I've never looked for it on Abah's Landing bookshelves, which is a completely wrong place for it to be (It's a DLC zone, for starters, an Undaunted book should not be locked there). None of my toons have it, and I did try checking an Enclave before reading the invitation, and it wasn't there. They should probably just remove it from Eidetic Memory - that would make the most sense.

I know this is the wrong place, but please add these to can't get them after the quest, I've tried numerous ways. My apologies if these were in your previous summary posts above and I just missed them.

qjrcsn26tdbd.png

Vvardenfell - Zulkin - Sul Egg Mine.

Thank you so much again for your care regarding the book frustration :)
    Edited by Sirona_Starr on May 2, 2019 11:03PM
  • Kyoma
    Kyoma
    ✭✭✭
    With regards to bookshelves and Elsweyr, I noticed that alot of them also have placed copies. Dunno how many yet as I haven't finished my list yet but they've been doing that alot since Summerset.
  • Kyoma
    Kyoma
    ✭✭✭
    I have also searched the area in and around both the Gate of Alma Ruma and the Gate of Ni-Mohk and seen no sign of Information Request from Emeric or Updated Instructions from Dortene, meaning that they are still completely unobtainable to members of the other two alliances no matter what they do (something I find extremely frustrating). I used /bug at the Gate of Alma Ruma (reports 190422-003790 and 190422-003812 respectively). If these are located anywhere but the area surrounding the gatehouses, more specific dev intervention is going to be needed, as the area between them and the camps is particularly large and unpleasant to search for something the size of a letter.
    The strange thing is that I have both of these on my AD main. I don't remember where and when exactly I obtained it but I believe it was in the period right after they added most alliance base books to other places within each gate area. I don't think I ever did any fancy not-entirely-legit behaviour to enter the DC spawn area. One thing that came to mind when I saw the location again of Letter to Grand Warlord Dortene (which is half clipping into the ground) is that it was obtainable for a time but due to later updates (possilby things like fixing landscape issues/meshes) it became unavailable again. Or at the very least not interactable or lost its glow.
    I know this is the wrong place, but please add these to can't get them after the quest, I've tried numerous ways. My apologies if these were in your previous summary posts above and I just missed them.

qjrcsn26tdbd.png

Vvardenfell - Zulkin - Sul Egg Mine.

Thank you so much again for your care regarding the book frustration :)
    No idea if these have gotten a post-quest location but the area they are in is still accessible from the mine's back entrance.06a1q2kgzlst.png
    From there you can go back to the quest area they are found in.

(Don't mind my name all over the screenshot, I happened to be on PTS when I was reading this post ;) )
    Edited by Kyoma on May 3, 2019 1:35AM
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sirona_Starr That's very weird regarding the Soggy Note. Mind taking a picture of the area to the left of the entrance to that sunken ship, right near the wall? I ask because my lorehunter who's done all the quests is currently staring at it at that location. However, I didn't do the quest with a group and (even if I did) might not be able to replicate the circumstances that led to that. In regard to some of these books, a great deal of wonkiness can ensue. When I get the chance, I'll try to run through the quest and figure out under what circumstances it doesn't stay afterward, but it may take some time. This may seem silly, but can you go to a Mages Guild and make sure that no quest marker exists at the Order of the Eye Dispatch? I ask, because I know of at least one person who had a book-related issue because a quest they swear they did somehow undid itself? Additionally, because my main lorehunter isn't in the phase in which the book is bugged, I'm not going to be as able to track whether or not the issue is fixed. For reference, this is what I see when I go to the spot:
    5p4zbyf.png

In regard to Northern Heartland Journal, it's possible that they intended for it to be on the bed, but Cyrodillic loading eccentricities occurred (similar to several of the books within the scroll temples) and it wound up loading beneath the bed. On their end, I'd suggest either making sure that it is actually on the bed or moving it to the floor beside the bed. On yours, maybe go back and try logging off and quickly logging back in again (again similar to the books at the scroll temples). More than anywhere else, Cyrodillic loading issues seem to wreak absolute havoc with the placement of books on surfaces.

@Kyoma I'd noticed they'd put copies of Elsweyr's bookshelf books out in the world as well- most, if not all of them, in fact. It was something I was very pleased to see, given my grumblings about certain bookshelf pools. I've also managed to get at least a rough location of all but 2 of the Elsweyr books so far, which has been fun.

With the two DC books, that's certainly possible. Or that an update has occurred which broke them again. Unfortunately, without a definite location to look, I'm mostly finding a lot of locations where they aren't. And a few people I've asked where they found them either didn't remember or haven't replied. I was considering asking you if you'd picked up any possible locations while doing stuff for Lorebooks, but if they're currently bugged, then I don't suppose you would. Maybe someone with ZOS could provide a more clear location or at least help narrow the search radius and make sure that the book is appearing where their code says it should be appearing? I'd hate to be reporting a book simply because it's not where I expect it to be.

It does remind me of something I noticed while fiddling with "Taking the Undaunted Pledge" at one point today. For kicks and giggles, I signed the tome in Grahtwood, then abandoned the quest and reaccepted it. Again I had the step to sign the tome, but the arrow was sunken somewhat, as though the book was in the ground. (I don't recall if I was able to sign the book in this state, and will need to try to replicate it to find out) When I ran away and came back, the arrow was in the right spot and I could definitely sign the tome. Not sure if it's relevant to issues with the unsigned Tome of the Undaunted, but it struck me as interesting.

On a different note, @ZOS_GinaBruno , is there any chance you might be able to provide a rundown of all the books which have been fixed this cycle in the patch notes when 5.0.5 hits the Live servers, just so we're completely sure what books y'all might have listed as fixed and are on the same page, so to speak? I think we've noticed most of them, but I'd just like to be sure.
    Edited by BrightOblivion on May 3, 2019 5:30AM
  • Sirona_Starr
    Sirona_Starr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sirona_Starr That's very weird regarding the Soggy Note. Mind taking a picture of the area to the left of the entrance to that sunken ship, right near the wall? I ask because my lorehunter who's done all the quests is currently staring at it at that location. However, I didn't do the quest with a group and (even if I did) might not be able to replicate the circumstances that led to that. In regard to some of these books, a great deal of wonkiness can ensue. When I get the chance, I'll try to run through the quest and figure out under what circumstances it doesn't stay afterward, but it may take some time. This may seem silly, but can you go to a Mages Guild and make sure that no quest marker exists at the Order of the Eye Dispatch? I ask, because I know of at least one person who had a book-related issue because a quest they swear they did somehow undid itself? Additionally, because my main lorehunter isn't in the phase in which the book is bugged, I'm not going to be as able to track whether or not the issue is fixed. For reference, this is what I see when I go to the spot:
    5p4zbyf.png

In regard to Northern Heartland Journal, it's possible that they intended for it to be on the bed, but Cyrodillic loading eccentricities occurred (similar to several of the books within the scroll temples) and it wound up loading beneath the bed. On their end, I'd suggest either making sure that it is actually on the bed or moving it to the floor beside the bed. On yours, maybe go back and try logging off and quickly logging back in again (again similar to the books at the scroll temples). More than anywhere else, Cyrodillic loading issues seem to wreak absolute havoc with the placement of books on surfaces.

@Kyoma I'd noticed they'd put copies of Elsweyr's bookshelf books out in the world as well- most, if not all of them, in fact. It was something I was very pleased to see, given my grumblings about certain bookshelf pools. I've also managed to get at least a rough location of all but 2 of the Elsweyr books so far, which has been fun.

With the two DC books, that's certainly possible. Or that an update has occurred which broke them again. Unfortunately, without a definite location to look, I'm mostly finding a lot of locations where they aren't. And a few people I've asked where they found them either didn't remember or haven't replied. I was considering asking you if you'd picked up any possible locations while doing stuff for Lorebooks, but if they're currently bugged, then I don't suppose you would. Maybe someone with ZOS could provide a more clear location or at least help narrow the search radius and make sure that the book is appearing where their code says it should be appearing? I'd hate to be reporting a book simply because it's not where I expect it to be.

It does remind me of something I noticed while fiddling with "Taking the Undaunted Pledge" at one point today. For kicks and giggles, I signed the tome in Grahtwood, then abandoned the quest and reaccepted it. Again I had the step to sign the tome, but the arrow was sunken somewhat, as though the book was in the ground. (I don't recall if I was able to sign the book in this state, and will need to try to replicate it to find out) When I ran away and came back, the arrow was in the right spot and I could definitely sign the tome. Not sure if it's relevant to issues with the unsigned Tome of the Undaunted, but it struck me as interesting.

On a different note, @ZOS_GinaBruno , is there any chance you might be able to provide a rundown of all the books which have been fixed this cycle in the patch notes when 5.0.5 hits the Live servers, just so we're completely sure what books y'all might have listed as fixed and are on the same page, so to speak? I think we've noticed most of them, but I'd just like to be sure.

I'll post the shots:

9b67oswg55y5.png

I've gone to that spot like 20 times on the boat, and it's there today.......... so, maybe they fixed it at some point. So Yeah!!!!!

I'll try the relog for the Heartland Journal - thank you for the tip :)

Thanks for the great screenshot and tip about the back of the mine entrance - will make it easy to find :) On my way to get those two books. :) You made my day!!!!

Edited by Sirona_Starr on May 3, 2019 7:35PM
  • mystfit
    mystfit
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to confirm I found Bones of the Forest in Gandranen Ruins in Shadoefen on a bookshelf. Didn't take as long as I expected ;)