Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Progression Atrophy & the NEED for Power Creep in ESO + Other Pain Points for Middle Tiered players

• Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the only hole in your argument is that making a hard ceiling and making it achievable through power creep throws all of everything higher tier players play for out the window. They now no longer have nothing to work towards, and nothing will be remotely challenging for them, and they leave. As it stands I don't see vet trails as a requirement to enjoy the game or something that everyone should be able to beat easily. In fact, they were literally designed with high tier players in mind in order to challenge them and give them something to do, not for low tier players to try out, fail, and then quit the game over. I wish there was a distinction there, and I do think a mode between normal and vet would be nice. I also wish that mode would apply to overworld, which hasn't felt dangerous since one tamriel.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nebthet78 wrote: »
    Part7:
    ZOS has always stated that they have all this Data about how many people are completing dungeons, what their DPS is, how often are they running, etc. etc. They need to be looking at this data and referring to it. How many players are running VHof or VCR +2-+3? How many are on the leader boards for these? Are those characters currently on the leader boards, owned by the same players? If so, how many? How many players are completing this content, and then NEVER STEPPING IN IT AGAIN??

They need to take the time and speak with a couple of these Middle Tiered Progressive Raid groups and their leaders to hear first-hand, what their pain points are, and why they are not having fun, or running the new content again after they complete it.

What can be done to help balance the game and to alleviate some of these pain points?

- Power Creep needs to continue in this game, but it does need to be Capped (say, 45-50k).
    It’s time for ZOS to put a roof over the Highest Ceiling. All players should be able to eventually complete all content they paid for. Even if it takes them 7yrs of eventual power creep through any system; they’ll eventually get there.
    In PvP, this could mean setting the max DPS at a certain level as well, or having all NO CP campaigns.
    But, if I’m not going to progress in power for the foreseeable future, why should I bother buying the new DLC, or the New Chapter?? The story isn’t enough. I can watch someone else play and get the story without paying.

- With Capped DPS, then a pure horizontal progression begins, where CP can be spent on quality of life items rather on points that provide more power. Ie: Increased bank space. A fourth CP tree can be created for this, or allowing players to put points into the trees, say into resistances for Trials so they don’t have to keep changing them all the time.

- Third tier of difficulty between Normal and Vet Dungeons and Trials needs to be created. Raising the difficulty of Normal is not acceptable, as you will again be locking a vast majority of your casual players out of that content. An intuitive middle tier of difficulty that allows your players to learn the mechanics without being overwhelmed in required.

- Mechanics that allow for room of error. Players shouldn’t have to be on point 100% of the time, or wipe the run. Those type of mechanics are not Fun and players are less likely to repeatedly run content that had mechanics like this.

I would like to build more on this conversation. Posting trolling comments like git gud, or L2P is not providing constructive feedback or discussion, but are considered trolling. I would like to hear others thoughts on this, from those who both agree or disagree.

Tam one is responsible for this. It was really a response to two issues phasing which was huge. And stale blocked of content.I think level scalling could have been better thought out. Wanting to make the game more like the tradtional single player franchise was the goal. Allowing people to play with friends no matter the level all good ideas . but there are other way of doing that. Tam one has done no favors for the body of the community that is now entering or wants to enter end game group activities. because you actually have learned none of the games finer points of combat, nor the roles how the function or how to play in a group setting.

To be entirely fair to One Tamriel, the game before that didnt really teach how to mechanics either. And a rotation? Hahaha.

See, people like to go all "Man, those were the days when we had Doshia to teach noobs how to play!"

Uh, that was Blaze and Ragebinder for my level 9 MagDK. Know what that taught me? To level up to 11, come back, and kick their butts.

We've still got bosses like Doshia (see complaint threads about K'torra) intended to teach players about the value of food buffs and AOE DOTs. But because ESO never actually teaches those things, the value is often lost until they come to the forums asking how to beat that boss.

Or to put it another way, back before One Tamriel, I was in Coldharbor before I learned to interrupt harvesters. I was in vet ranks before I realized that food buffs make fighting so much easier. I really don't remember pre One Tamriel doing a good job of preparing me and my friends for harder group content.

On the whole, ESO is and always as been very opaque about how to actually do endgame content. Want to do decent DPS for group content? You will not learn that from the game itself. You'll learn it from other players, videos, build sites, or the forums. Want to tank? ESO is like "Here's a taunt. Have fun!" And so we see plenty of people asking about how tanking works in ESO compared to other games. The Skills Advisor is a small improvement in this regard, but far more needs to happen if ESO is actually going to prepare players.

In short, I think this problem pre-dates One Tamriel. Content added after One Tamriel just makes ESO's lack of preparing players all the more apparent.
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part7:
    ZOS has always stated that they have all this Data about how many people are completing dungeons, what their DPS is, how often are they running, etc. etc. They need to be looking at this data and referring to it. How many players are running VHof or VCR +2-+3? How many are on the leader boards for these? Are those characters currently on the leader boards, owned by the same players? If so, how many? How many players are completing this content, and then NEVER STEPPING IN IT AGAIN??

They need to take the time and speak with a couple of these Middle Tiered Progressive Raid groups and their leaders to hear first-hand, what their pain points are, and why they are not having fun, or running the new content again after they complete it.

What can be done to help balance the game and to alleviate some of these pain points?

- Power Creep needs to continue in this game, but it does need to be Capped (say, 45-50k).
    It’s time for ZOS to put a roof over the Highest Ceiling. All players should be able to eventually complete all content they paid for. Even if it takes them 7yrs of eventual power creep through any system; they’ll eventually get there.
    In PvP, this could mean setting the max DPS at a certain level as well, or having all NO CP campaigns.
    But, if I’m not going to progress in power for the foreseeable future, why should I bother buying the new DLC, or the New Chapter?? The story isn’t enough. I can watch someone else play and get the story without paying.

- With Capped DPS, then a pure horizontal progression begins, where CP can be spent on quality of life items rather on points that provide more power. Ie: Increased bank space. A fourth CP tree can be created for this, or allowing players to put points into the trees, say into resistances for Trials so they don’t have to keep changing them all the time.

- Third tier of difficulty between Normal and Vet Dungeons and Trials needs to be created. Raising the difficulty of Normal is not acceptable, as you will again be locking a vast majority of your casual players out of that content. An intuitive middle tier of difficulty that allows your players to learn the mechanics without being overwhelmed in required.

- Mechanics that allow for room of error. Players shouldn’t have to be on point 100% of the time, or wipe the run. Those type of mechanics are not Fun and players are less likely to repeatedly run content that had mechanics like this.

I would like to build more on this conversation. Posting trolling comments like git gud, or L2P is not providing constructive feedback or discussion, but are considered trolling. I would like to hear others thoughts on this, from those who both agree or disagree.

Tam one is responsible for this. It was really a response to two issues phasing which was huge. And stale blocked of content.I think level scalling could have been better thought out. Wanting to make the game more like the tradtional single player franchise was the goal. Allowing people to play with friends no matter the level all good ideas . but there are other way of doing that. Tam one has done no favors for the body of the community that is now entering or wants to enter end game group activities. because you actually have learned none of the games finer points of combat, nor the roles how the function or how to play in a group setting.

To be entirely fair to One Tamriel, the game before that didnt really teach how to mechanics either. And a rotation? Hahaha.

See, people like to go all "Man, those were the days when we had Doshia to teach noobs how to play!"

Uh, that was Blaze and Ragebinder for my level 9 MagDK. Know what that taught me? To level up to 11, come back, and kick their butts.

We've still got bosses like Doshia (see complaint threads about K'torra) intended to teach players about the value of food buffs and AOE DOTs. But because ESO never actually teaches those things, the value is often lost until they come to the forums asking how to beat that boss.

Or to put it another way, back before One Tamriel, I was in Coldharbor before I learned to interrupt harvesters. I was in vet ranks before I realized that food buffs make fighting so much easier. I really don't remember pre One Tamriel doing a good job of preparing me and my friends for harder group content.

On the whole, ESO is and always as been very opaque about how to actually do endgame content. Want to do decent DPS for group content? You will not learn that from the game itself. You'll learn it from other players, videos, build sites, or the forums. Want to tank? ESO is like "Here's a taunt. Have fun!" And so we see plenty of people asking about how tanking works in ESO compared to other games. The Skills Advisor is a small improvement in this regard, but far more needs to happen if ESO is actually going to prepare players.

In short, I think this problem pre-dates One Tamriel. Content added after One Tamriel just makes ESO's lack of preparing players all the more apparent.
    Not really I felt as you progressed through the dungeons you had a good idea of mechanics builds and how stats effected builds. Though imagine veteran tanking in this game back then was very very different from other mmos. The dev's they took from funcom really showed . I dont think tam one was horrible it was a response to them making money with out reguard to a long term game play impact.same with cp it was a bandaid for VR and an easy way to extend life of old content.you need to remember the game did not see any content additions for loonnnnmmg time after craglorn. It was all hands on deck for the console port. But I do agree that Dps is a whole other ball of wax. Its primarily due to two factors. There is no explanation about animation canceling or weaving. Animation canceling was actually ta bug that they couldn't fix with GCD .early launch game play only the long term beta in house knew about it. Some builds like early magical dk with banner could solo all the vanilla dungeons. Due to animation canceling and light armor passives being so OP. The game at this time was called the elder dresses on line. Now content is designed with animation canceling as part of the meta and learning rotations with it has a curve for those that hit the dungeons and trials.
    Edited by Wifeaggro13 on February 12, 2019 4:03PM
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, and an awesome and insightful review about game current state. Bravo!
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • DivineFirstYOLO
    DivineFirstYOLO
    ✭✭✭✭
    A few things:

You should become a politician, because you have a lot to say without actually saying anything valid.

CP is front loaded and theoretically is capped - you can only put 100 points into master-at-arms for example. So if you are CP 810 you will have somewhere between 40 and 80 points in master-at-arms which is in % somewhere between 16 to 23% more damage for direct damage attacks. 7% is definitely a lot for a player in one of the top PvE guilds who does 90k single target damage on certain bosses, but it is neglectable for somebody who has trouble getting 30k dps.
    So the lower your CP and skill level are, the less CP will be a factor (my opinion).

Part6:

Catering to the Elite Tier of the game while completely ignoring the progression of the Middle Tiered players is not healthy for the game.

Why?

Due to the vast majority of this game is made up of Casual and Average Moderate ability players. Systems should not be balanced in a way that requires
    the use of Animation Cancelling, which a majority of the player base is unable to accomplish, and is not intuitive game play. There isn’t even a system
    in the game that teaches you how to animation cancel, you have to go to Youtube for that. Attack weave –Yes. Animation Cancel – No.

Do you know the difference between attack weaving and animation cancelling? There are 3 ways to animation cancel:
    1) roll dodge - nobody does that in PvE obviously
    2) block cancel - almost nobody does that either
    3) cancelling a skill by bar swapping - yes that's what people do, but, not cancelling a skill by swapping from one bar to the other is not going to hurt your dps if everything else you do is on point.

A good rotation is the most important thing in this game, which means skill does actually matter (it's not only gear - yes relequen is too strong, but all the other sets are very close when comparing dps).
    Not even CP progression is going to help you if you are not able to light attack > press skill > light attack > skill > etc.

Part3:

ZOS had obviously seen the issue. The Power differential between the Floor’s casual players and the Ceiling’s High End Elite gamers, and they tried looking at ways to “Lower the Ceiling and raise the Floor”.

This was actually an epic failure. You can’t lower a ceiling by nerfing skills all players use. All that was accomplished was the change in Meta. Casual players didn’t bother to notice any difference because they didn’t care or were not at a level they would notice. The higher Elite players just changed up the Meta, as they could work within the systems to compensate much easier than everyone else to proc the new armor sets more effectively. It’s the Middle Tiered players who found themselves nerfed again and again and again.

With these changes to “lower the ceiling and raise the floor” over the last couple of years, I’m now sitting at 10k less DPS than I began; All because ZOS decided to spearhead
    the Light Attack weave and Animation Cancelling Meta. A form of gameplay that is highly affected by server lag, player internet connections, whether a player uses a keyboard,
    mouse or Controller. These are things Middle Tiered players are unable to compensate for. Only Power Creep, no matter how insignificant would allow these players to eventually
    compensate for what they were unable to physically accomplish through regular skilled game play.

I partially agree that "spearheading" the "light attack meta" was a mistake, not for the reasons you mentioned, but because people should not be rewarded for spamming light attacks (yes, I know the meta was changed because heavy attack rotations were extremely boring). Currently it is easier than ever to reach a decent amount of DPS - just log on a mag sorc, equippt queens elegance set, necropotence, both pets, molag kena and spamm light attack > force pulse = 30k dps, so wow, much difficult, very elitist.

Part3:

Those players who use Controllers, rather than Mice and Keyboards are handicapped in this game on PC, especially if you have to use an additional third party program because of the type of controller you use.

There are some players who say that Power Creep is an illusion. And to some players, it may be. But for those who need the creep. It’s certainly no illusion. 1% improvement is still an improvement. It might give them that very slight edge to once again be included in certain guild runs, or to finish VMA where they couldn’t before. Psychologically, people need to feel like they are improving to be able to continue to do something. They need to feel rewarded.

Yeah wow, why do you think the meme "pc masterrace" exists? I do not play CS:GO on my phone and expect to beat other players. A controller will never be as accurate as mouse+keyboard.
    Oh and about vMA... 10 more CP every 3 months - a few % more damage, a few % more mitigation, a few % more utility in form of block/dodge/break free or regen will not help you get that "edge" to clear vMA. A solid rotation
    that you are able to perform in a stressful situation + experience will help.

It sounds stupid, but why don't the "Middle Tiered" players get more experience and try a little bit harder? "Skill" - perfect rotation, positioning, awarness - is only one part of being a good player. In my opinion creativity/experience plays also a huge role. Why not try different sets? I know a lot of guilds that used Iceheart in vCR+3 to clear it. Slightly less dps, but so much easier.

And lastly: blaming the class reps, people that have no power in deciding (as you can see in current racial changes), that are working for free, is a very classy act.

Almost forgot: ZOS is going to aim stuff at "Middle Tiered" players, for unlocking the skin in new dungeons you will only have to clear it on Vet instead of HM, No Death and Speed Run.
    Perhaps - if you ask nicely in a new thread - they will in the future add a bot to the crown store for players that can't click the left mouse button?
    Zerg Squad

Godslayer x 4

Pro questing fees for RPers in Cyrodiil, pay your taxes!
    PC - EU

• mongoLC
    mongoLC
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great post you touched on a lot of the reasons I stopped paying to play this game and play it a lot less. But they will just keep balancing the game around alcasts guild while losing money and players because of it.

Edited by mongoLC on February 12, 2019 5:25PM
  • Synapsis123
    Synapsis123
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem isn't so much the CP system and its power creep, but the rate at which you gain said CP. It shouldn't take 300-500 hours of super efficient grinding to max out your cp. The grind hurts the pvp players the most because you are seeing less and less new players willing to grind it out. As someone with 1450+ CP I would be perfectly fine with someone zoning into pvp for the first time and being handed max CP. I knew a whole guild of people from GW2 that came to try the game and enjoyed it, but couldn't stomach the 810 CP grind to be effective in pvp. They all quit after reaching 160 CP and realizing the time investment required.

If CP gain continued people will eventually become tanker in pvp and not squishier. Right now people are already approaching their max dps. In the red trees you are forced to split your CP between so many things that your damage reduction against any particular thing is much lower.
    Edited by Synapsis123 on February 12, 2019 6:00PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not understand how some (very few) think ESO has power atrophy instead of power creep.

It has been very obvious the game has had power creep as challenging or even somewhat challenging instances are so much easier today than a year or two ago. vMA is a great example as their scores have increased over time, not decreased as would occur with power atrophy.
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're supposed to get better over time, not remain stagnant or get worse.
  • BooPerScOOper
    BooPerScOOper
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I do not understand how some (very few) think ESO has power atrophy instead of power creep.

It has been very obvious the game has had power creep as challenging or even somewhat challenging instances are so much easier today than a year or two ago. vMA is a great example as their scores have increased over time, not decreased as would occur with power atrophy.

Exactly; All scores have increased over time
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, and thank you for this well thought out post.

As an end-game player (> CP1000), I find it frustrating that I am running the same content as low level new players, and yet cannot get into certain vet level content. Put simply, I am a veteran player by stats alone, but as far as experience and performance I am not. This the first and only game where I've progressed, peaked, and then plateaued as a player. If the devs want people to stay in this game, they need to keep that incentive going. End-game has no place in MMOs because they, by their nature, never end until the player leaves, because the content has become too stagnant. Quitting is literally the end-game.

I sit in the 100s in ranks for emperor in PvP, and have been at that same place for over 2 years. So, I limit my PvP play a lot more, because it's disengaging to be stuck in the same place. If this game truly required skill, then I would be able to progress after that much time into the top 100.

I ran 4 or so vet trials, and held my own for the most part as a DPS. Now trials are reserved for exclusive guilds that require absurd amounts of flat sustained DPS, of which is only attainable by certain builds or classes. The most frustrating aspect of this trial lockout is the mere fact that the doorway to these trials is policed by players who have no knowledge of what the true requirements are, yet they have made it a standard, that is not attainable by more than half your player base. So, I no longer run either vet or normal, because it just seems pointless to be stuck in the same place.

Pretty much the same goes for vet DLC dungeons. I've run them all on normal 100s of times. Yet I see absolutely no progression here. I step into the same vet dungeon, and wipe like a n00b. So, I no longer run these dungeons, because I am not experiencing progression.

If the devs are reading this post, I hope you guys are wise enough to get what I am trying to spell out here.
    Edited by Mintaka5 on February 12, 2019 6:27PM
  • ZOS_RikardD
    ZOS_RikardD
    admin
    Greetings,

We have had to remove a few posts from this thread for baiting or otherwise nonconstructive commentary.

Please remember to keep conversations constructive and civil and take a moment to review our Community Rules here.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • CatastrophicSuccess
    Why should players be dependent on the CP system (or another similar leveling system for progression) to clear all the content in the game? I'm not going to argue the efficiency of the current CP system and the problems it has created by dialing back skills (abilities and passives) as it increases. I do think there are plenty of other forms of progression in the game, primarily skills and gear. Within these forms of progression there is room for diversity and creativity to complete the majority of the content in the game. The only exception being content that is designed for players who enjoy the process of maximizing their gear, skill, and teamwork to complete challenges.

Why shouldn't there be content for these people? There is a insane amount of content in ESO. From experience completing things from vMA leaderboards to vAS HM I have personally seen and had fun messing around with "creative and diverse" setups in these situations. The portion of content in ESO that truly requires the BiS gear is almost nonexistent, save for a few roles and team comps for some HM trials and DLC dungeons. But that's what HM is for after all, an extra challenge for those players who are masochists.

Should everyone complete all the content available in the game? I don't think so. The real 1% of players in this game are the 1% who will actually try to complete every zone, achievement, dungeon, BG, etc. The majority, i.e. the rest of us, will not touch a significant portion of the content in ESO and that's okay.

I understand many peoples frustrations with progressing into vet content or becoming efficient in PvP, I've been there myself. I still struggle to find new ways to improve and experience content. I just don't think it would be fair to remove challenging content from the game because some people will never complete it. I agree the current CP progression system is flawed. I just don't think that we should homogenize content and force a casual level. The same way I don't think we should only focus on creating content for PvP, RPing, dungeons, housing, dueling, or any other single form of content.

I think this is an important conversation to have. I'm looking forward to whatever new content we receive in the future and all the forms that content might take. I hope ZOS continues to improve the quality and diversity of the content they create as well as refurbishes what's outdated, like the CP system in its current state.

PC NA - CP 1000+

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think people see power atrophy on an individual level and power creep on a global scale.

While old content is easier now and overall leaderboard scores have increased, that's global power creep. But individual players, especially the medium tier players who struggle with the current weaving/animation cancel meta and unforgiving mechanics may find themselves worse off than before when you account for nerfs.

For example, who did the Sorc ward nerfs hit hardest? The elite players who easily adapted to the new meta? Or the mid-tier players who needed the cushion of those shields in order to complete their current level of content?

Now, part of that is by design. ZOS periodically nerfs the meta so that players of all tiers have to regrind in order to be back in fighting shape.

And part of that is simply the need to adapt. The more ESO leans towards light attack weaving being necessary for good DPS, the more players who can't LA weave well (for many reasons) are going to be left behind. That's simply how it is. And then as progression groups require more DPS of their members because of unforgiving mechanics, again, more players get left behind.

So I guess my point is that power creep in ESO is an uneven thing. A rising tide that doesn't lift all boats. And the more ZOS creates unforgiving mechanics and trials/dungeons with low margins for error, the greater the demand for high DPS is going to be, resulting in more people being left behind as their individual power creep has just not kept pace with the pace of development or DPS increases among top-tier players.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SoLooney wrote: »
    Power creep is already significant

There were times were 30k dps was top tier, then short after 40k was the new standard. Then surely enough it was 50k and slowly creeping towards 55k plus

Not to mention support sets increasing this even more significantly where good dps are parsing 70k plus and stamina nightblades well over 80k

Pve dps is already pretty insane and the gear to get that dps is very easy to farm or straight up buy from traders or other players

It really isn't hard to hit 40k which already clears a lot of vet content with relative ease

Following the years of eso. It has catered a lot to casual players, it really has. Heck, look at that new dungeon skin that you can get if you just clear it on vet. Not very special if a lot of people can now obtain it

New trials come out once maybe twice a year, and that's really all the hardcore players get out of new content. Maybe the dlc dungeons too.

With the current max cp of 810. You can spec a lot of points into recovery, damage, and mitigation. Making clearing older content a lot easier

Also. Most of the vet trial content are years old, theres tons of guides on the internet and on YouTube. If people cant clear the older vet trials, then that group needs to work on dps, mechanics, communication and teamwork. Cause hitting that 40k plus dps is not that hard at all, theres tons of videos and guides on rotations to hit those numbers

I agree that there should be power creep as more updates happen, but overall, the mid tiered players can work on becoming better players and not relying on power creep to get by content.

Lol most players can't get past 15k. If you can do it, it doesn't mean everyone can do it.

Well that means most players cant brainlesly spam 1 button so at this point it's not issue with the game.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think people see power atrophy on an individual level and power creep on a global scale.

While old content is easier now and overall leaderboard scores have increased, that's global power creep. But individual players, especially the medium tier players who struggle with the current weaving/animation cancel meta and unforgiving mechanics may find themselves worse off than before when you account for nerfs.

For example, who did the Sorc ward nerfs hit hardest? The elite players who easily adapted to the new meta? Or the mid-tier players who needed the cushion of those shields in order to complete their current level of content?

Now, part of that is by design. ZOS periodically nerfs the meta so that players of all tiers have to regrind in order to be back in fighting shape.

And part of that is simply the need to adapt. The more ESO leans towards light attack weaving being necessary for good DPS, the more players who can't LA weave well (for many reasons) are going to be left behind. That's simply how it is. And then as progression groups require more DPS of their members because of unforgiving mechanics, again, more players get left behind.

So I guess my point is that power creep in ESO is an uneven thing. A rising tide that doesn't lift all boats. And the more ZOS creates unforgiving mechanics and trials/dungeons with low margins for error, the greater the demand for high DPS is going to be, resulting in more people being left behind as their individual power creep has just not kept pace with the pace of development or DPS increases among top-tier players.

@VaranisArano - thanks for that. I think I finally have some understanding.

Heh. Not that it means I'll be able to complete any little minor questline. It doesn't. That's not the game's fault - that's what happens with satellite for connect. But your post did sort out things I didn't understand from the beginning.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They’ve already said they’re aware of power creep issues and that the CP system is getting an overhaul. I’m not even sure what power atrophy means in this game. I can understand if you have a physical or mental disability that prevents you from reach a certain level of play, in that case I have no ideas, but for everyone else reaching high DPS or being a good tank or healer it’s just practice and grinding. It’s really not that hard. A correct but sloppy rotation with just basic LA weaving in second best gear should easily net you 25k dps self buffed on a class that doesn’t have access to fracture. And that is enough for any vet content except maybe some of the harder vet trials. And this should really be in reach for anyone, even with higher ping of 250-350. If you bother to min max and practice your rotation, then higher tiers should be relatively easy to reach. So I’m not sure how mid tier players are atrophying. And you can always mix it up with some PvP. It’s hard to reach a stale spot in PvP unless it’s down to game performance.
    Edited by Vapirko on February 13, 2019 3:11AM
  • madarame_77
    madarame_77
    ✭✭✭
    Part5:
    Systems should not be balanced in a way that requires the use of Animation Cancelling, which a majority of the player base is unable to accomplish, and is not intuitive game play. There isn’t even a system in the game that teaches you how to animation cancel, you have to go to Youtube for that. Attack weave –Yes. Animation Cancel – No.

This 100%.
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    They’ve already said they’re aware of power creep issues and that the CP system is getting an overhaul. I’m not even sure what power atrophy means in this game. I can understand if you have a physical or mental disability that prevents you from reach a certain level of play, in that case I have no ideas, but for everyone else reaching high DPS or being a good tank or healer it’s just practice and grinding. It’s really not that hard. A correct but sloppy rotation with just basic LA weaving in second best gear should easily net you 25k dps self buffed on a class that doesn’t have access to fracture. And that is enough for any vet content except maybe some of the harder vet trials. And this should really be in reach for anyone, even with higher ping of 250-350. If you bother to min max and practice your rotation, then higher tiers should be relatively easy to reach. So I’m not sure how mid tier players are atrophying. And you can always mix it up with some PvP. It’s hard to reach a stale spot in PvP unless it’s down to game performance.

Yes, they are aware of the Power Creep issue in relation to the CP.... but my essay has nothing to do with the need to remove the power creep. It is the need to KEEP the Power Creep for the Middle Tiered and lower players who need it. They need to CAP the max achievable DPS to prevent the the DPS gap from getting any wider, while allowing lesser players to catch up.

There are various reasons why Middle Tiered players are unable to achieve anything over 25k dps, which I had noted in my essay.
    - Server Lag
    - Internet Latency/Ping - My own isp stated outright that I'll always have 10ms of latency.
    - Hardware use: IE.. Keyboard/Mouse vs Game Controller. Game Controllers are not nearly as fast in response time when buttons are pressed like a mechanical keyboard is.
    - Physical disability or age reduces reaction time.
    - Nerfing of skills, ability or DOT times can significantly effect rotation where those who need a basic rotation (12-15sec), such as we had with the Heavy Attack Meta, can no longer compensate now that certain skills had their DOT time reduced and we have a light attack meta.
    - With light attack meta, a 133 latency in game for me, means abilities don't reliably fire off, bar swapping doesn't happen when it should. Light attacks themselves won't even fire off if a skill immediately follows. All of these combined significantly hinders the rotation on a player who doesn't have the best of the best setup, hardware, physical reflexes, skill, nor Internet connection.

What the Middle Tier players are finding now, that ZOS has been going through Nerfing abilities, Nefing DOT times, Changing over to a Meta (Animation Cancelling and Light Attack Weaving) that's not only NOT TAUGHT by the mechanics or tutorials in the game (Sorry, a mention on a load screen doesn't count), and is not intuitive to use, cannot be reliably accomplished by a majority of the playerbase, because server performance and Internet latency is a huge factor in a players ability to take advantage of it and was proven to be a BUG that ZOS didn't know how to fix, is something they can't overcome to allow them to bypass the required 35k+ thresholds not required to allow them to run this content at Vet with others.

3 patches ago I was able to get 28-32k on my Stamsorc. Now I'm getting between 20-25k self buffed because of these changes. I'm weaker now than I was previously. Despite having the meta gear, and the meta abilities and following the rotations, because I can't fire them off fast enough now to keep all the dots up.

I can't reliably light attack weave with animation cancel. Once my in game latency reaches 133, and because I use a controller, my light attacks will be ignored outright by the information going back and forth to the servers and my skill will be the priority. Additionally, with the latency, the game seems to make playing the animation a priority, and in many cases will not allow a Bar Swap, until the animation has completed. This gets worse in group situations as more abilities are being fired off.
    This all significantly slows down any rotation. There are many occassions where you have to press the button 2-3-4 times before an ability will fire off.

Hell, ever since the PTS has started, my in game latency is now sitting at 150-166 for 98% of my play time.

These are all the types of issues that Middle Tiered players have to play around, and unfortunately, most of these type of players don't have 3-8+hrs in a day to stand a target dummy to try to work around a significantly flawed system. They have families, they have a job, and other more important responsibilites. They shouldn't have to all because elite end game players to do the content.

It is because of this change over to the Light Attack Animation Cancelling Meta, that can't be done by the majority of players, nor compensated for now in any other system within the game, that Most of the Middle Tiered players feel like their characters and Progression in the game has Atrophied. They have either lost Power Progression of their Characters, or through some changes, have been able to stay the same, but they certainly haven't improved.

And these players are at a skill level where normal content is far too easy for them, but some, especially the newer verteran content is too hard, due to the skill level they were created for. When you have players who can reach 35-45k+ DPS complaining that the content is not fun. Abusive. That they just don't want to do it, despite the rewards. There's an issue.

Mind you, there are a bunch of players maybe getting 25-30k DPS that would love to do this content, but soooo many players have either left or taken breaks because of where things are, and because of the mass of unforgiving mechanics they have thrown into this content, they never get to do it. beyond boring Normal.

This is why, it is felt by many that Power Creep needs to continue for these players, so that they have a way to progress further in the game, to continue to challenge themselves with content, so they can eventually complete what they paid for. Even if it takes them 2 or 3years after the release of that content. At least they would eventually be able to do it.

But, balancing content and capping the Power Creep because of the highly skilled elite players can do it, is not healthy for this game at all. ZOS had stated previously that they didn't intend for the huge power gap between players in this game, but they refuse to do the only thing that is going to keep that gap from getting any wider, while allowing lower skills players to eventually catch up.. and that is to put a CAP on DPS and continue to allow Power Creep for all other players.

Players shouldn't have to make a full time job out of parsing off a target dummy to squeak out a rotation that is going to end up changing on ZOS' whim. This is a game. It's suppose to be fun. If people don't progress in games, or feel like they are getting more powerful. They start loosing that sense of fun, and loose the drive to challenge themselves in harder content.

The Elite Tier players will always have the experience and bragging rights for being the first to run and complete the content far ahead of everyone else like they already do. They will just be forced to eventually deal with the mechanics of the dungeons instead of getting their DPS so high, they can bypass them. And ZOS can then come up with a skill tree where these players can spend their points towards quality of life items or something else.

When this update goes live. If you haven't noticed it already. I'm sure you are going to see a significant increase in the number of players switching over to Healers or Warden Tanks by those who used to DPS Vet Trials.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Power creep is a myth. What you guys are talking about is DPS creep. I remember when Vet COA2 was the hardest dungeon in the game. It took me several attempts with various pugs to finally complete it, but it WAS puggable. It was hard, but nothing about it was so complicated that you couldn't explain it in one sentence in chat.

Now we have these ridiculously complicated DLC dungeons. They are effectively unpuggable and impractical to explain without voice comms. My DPS may be hundred times higher than the pre-DLC era, but it doesn't matter because the difficulty of the top content has far outstripped DPS.

I don't think it should be required to watch hours of Alcast videos to complete content. I liked the difficulty of the old ESO, and I suspect many, many players would agree with me.

You do realize that content difficulty skyrocketed because of power creep right?
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta say, there needs to be some kind of progression. Power creep isn't a bad thing, as long as it doesn't hit D3 levels. I'm glad I can do 20k DPS on a world boss with my stamplar, where they usually aren't in my ground targets more than a second, and as high as 30k+ with a real tank. I'm only at 500CP, too, so with another 310CP, I should be able to hit some higher numbers. I

We need a new system of progression. I made a post detailing a way to further boost skills through trees for each ability. I won't go into that kind of detail, but it is a system to not only boost ability power, but also make them more interesting by adding aspects to skills, force choice with a limit to points into each tree, and give a new reason to either farm or grind. It is also a system they could milk for a few chapters by adding tiers to the trees, until they could come up with a new system, then freeze progression like the CP system.
  • LiberatorSam
    LiberatorSam
    ✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

Yes, they are aware of the Power Creep issue in relation to the CP.... but my essay has nothing to do with the need to remove the power creep. It is the need to KEEP the Power Creep for the Middle Tiered and lower players who need it. They need to CAP the max achievable DPS to prevent the the DPS gap from getting any wider, while allowing lesser players to catch up.

There are various reasons why Middle Tiered players are unable to achieve anything over 25k dps, which I had noted in my essay.
    - Server Lag
    - Internet Latency/Ping - My own isp stated outright that I'll always have 10ms of latency.
    - Hardware use: IE.. Keyboard/Mouse vs Game Controller. Game Controllers are not nearly as fast in response time when buttons are pressed like a mechanical keyboard is.
    - Physical disability or age reduces reaction time.
    - Nerfing of skills, ability or DOT times can significantly effect rotation where those who need a basic rotation (12-15sec), such as we had with the Heavy Attack Meta, can no longer compensate now that certain skills had their DOT time reduced and we have a light attack meta.
    - With light attack meta, a 133 latency in game for me, means abilities don't reliably fire off, bar swapping doesn't happen when it should. Light attacks themselves won't even fire off if a skill immediately follows. All of these combined significantly hinders the rotation on a player who doesn't have the best of the best setup, hardware, physical reflexes, skill, nor Internet connection.

What the Middle Tier players are finding now, that ZOS has been going through Nerfing abilities, Nefing DOT times, Changing over to a Meta (Animation Cancelling and Light Attack Weaving) that's not only NOT TAUGHT by the mechanics or tutorials in the game (Sorry, a mention on a load screen doesn't count), and is not intuitive to use, cannot be reliably accomplished by a majority of the playerbase, because server performance and Internet latency is a huge factor in a players ability to take advantage of it and was proven to be a BUG that ZOS didn't know how to fix, is something they can't overcome to allow them to bypass the required 35k+ thresholds not required to allow them to run this content at Vet with others.

3 patches ago I was able to get 28-32k on my Stamsorc. Now I'm getting between 20-25k self buffed because of these changes. I'm weaker now than I was previously. Despite having the meta gear, and the meta abilities and following the rotations, because I can't fire them off fast enough now to keep all the dots up.

I can't reliably light attack weave with animation cancel. Once my in game latency reaches 133, and because I use a controller, my light attacks will be ignored outright by the information going back and forth to the servers and my skill will be the priority. Additionally, with the latency, the game seems to make playing the animation a priority, and in many cases will not allow a Bar Swap, until the animation has completed. This gets worse in group situations as more abilities are being fired off.
    This all significantly slows down any rotation. There are many occassions where you have to press the button 2-3-4 times before an ability will fire off.

Hell, ever since the PTS has started, my in game latency is now sitting at 150-166 for 98% of my play time.

These are all the types of issues that Middle Tiered players have to play around, and unfortunately, most of these type of players don't have 3-8+hrs in a day to stand a target dummy to try to work around a significantly flawed system. They have families, they have a job, and other more important responsibilites. They shouldn't have to all because elite end game players to do the content.

It is because of this change over to the Light Attack Animation Cancelling Meta, that can't be done by the majority of players, nor compensated for now in any other system within the game, that Most of the Middle Tiered players feel like their characters and Progression in the game has Atrophied. They have either lost Power Progression of their Characters, or through some changes, have been able to stay the same, but they certainly haven't improved.

And these players are at a skill level where normal content is far too easy for them, but some, especially the newer verteran content is too hard, due to the skill level they were created for. When you have players who can reach 35-45k+ DPS complaining that the content is not fun. Abusive. That they just don't want to do it, despite the rewards. There's an issue.

Mind you, there are a bunch of players maybe getting 25-30k DPS that would love to do this content, but soooo many players have either left or taken breaks because of where things are, and because of the mass of unforgiving mechanics they have thrown into this content, they never get to do it. beyond boring Normal.

This is why, it is felt by many that Power Creep needs to continue for these players, so that they have a way to progress further in the game, to continue to challenge themselves with content, so they can eventually complete what they paid for. Even if it takes them 2 or 3years after the release of that content. At least they would eventually be able to do it.

But, balancing content and capping the Power Creep because of the highly skilled elite players can do it, is not healthy for this game at all. ZOS had stated previously that they didn't intend for the huge power gap between players in this game, but they refuse to do the only thing that is going to keep that gap from getting any wider, while allowing lower skills players to eventually catch up.. and that is to put a CAP on DPS and continue to allow Power Creep for all other players.

Players shouldn't have to make a full time job out of parsing off a target dummy to squeak out a rotation that is going to end up changing on ZOS' whim. This is a game. It's suppose to be fun. If people don't progress in games, or feel like they are getting more powerful. They start loosing that sense of fun, and loose the drive to challenge themselves in harder content.

The Elite Tier players will always have the experience and bragging rights for being the first to run and complete the content far ahead of everyone else like they already do. They will just be forced to eventually deal with the mechanics of the dungeons instead of getting their DPS so high, they can bypass them. And ZOS can then come up with a skill tree where these players can spend their points towards quality of life items or something else.

When this update goes live. If you haven't noticed it already. I'm sure you are going to see a significant increase in the number of players switching over to Healers or Warden Tanks by those who used to DPS Vet Trials.

If you don’t know how to use the meta gear then you are going to pull less dps then non meta gear. AY maybe meta but it comes with its restrictions, having meta gear doesn’t always improve your dps, you need to learn how to use them too.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Power creep is a myth. What you guys are talking about is DPS creep. I remember when Vet COA2 was the hardest dungeon in the game. It took me several attempts with various pugs to finally complete it, but it WAS puggable. It was hard, but nothing about it was so complicated that you couldn't explain it in one sentence in chat.

Now we have these ridiculously complicated DLC dungeons. They are effectively unpuggable and impractical to explain without voice comms. My DPS may be hundred times higher than the pre-DLC era, but it doesn't matter because the difficulty of the top content has far outstripped DPS.

I don't think it should be required to watch hours of Alcast videos to complete content. I liked the difficulty of the old ESO, and I suspect many, many players would agree with me.

I have to agree with you here. I was doing a DLC dungeon the other day and someone in our group was reading the mechanics of a certain boss on Discord. It took about 5 minutes for her to complete the explanation. After she got done, I said to the group “ZOS couldn’t have made this boss fight more complex even if they tried.” It was ridiculous, and one of the reasons I usually avoid DLC dungeons like the plague. I play the game to relax, not try to make it a freaking job.

And this is unfortunate, as it keeps a lot of people from even bothering to try them in Vet mode. So you get to the point where it’s too easy in normal because you can burn through without paying attention to the mechanics, and too hard in Vet because the mechanics are too ridiculously hard. There is no middle ground.

Edited by Ashtaris on February 13, 2019 7:21AM
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tonturri wrote: »

You mean, adhere to what is perhaps the core, defining feature of RPGs since day one? Now that's just some crazy talk right there!
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tonturri wrote: »

HERESY !!!
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

VMA is actually an example of power atrophy. Thanks to the massive nerf to damage shields, VMA is harder than ever for some Magicka classes. Doesn't matter how much DPS has creeped up, the content is harder overall because of reduced defensive capabilities. Sustain has also been nerfed severely since VMA launched. Where is the creep?
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    lokulin wrote: »
    I'm one of those middle tier players.

Hi! Same here.
    lokulin wrote: »
    The thing is, even after a lot of practice I can really only really sustain 30-35K dps maximum. I have no idea how people do 70K dps.

Same here!

However, I think it's escalating stat sets like siroria (+zaan monster set), and having crit above 50%; that will drive damage upward over time -- I have issues with Siroria as I'm quite a mobile player. I have tried it, and seen notable increase in dps on a dummy, but in a dungeon, I can't stand still long enough to benefit (I'd have to adjust my playstyle dramatically to stay in that small-ish circle). I see that as my issue though, maybe I don't need to move around so much -- but I do panic :blush: I've been running delves to practice a more static approach, but haven't the courage to go dungeon with it yet.
    Part5:
    Systems should not be balanced in a way that requires the use of Animation Cancelling, which a majority of the player base is unable to accomplish, and is not intuitive game play. There isn’t even a system in the game that teaches you how to animation cancel, you have to go to Youtube for that. Attack weave –Yes. Animation Cancel – No.

This 100%.

@madarame_77

I think we have a fundamental misunderstanding of terms here. There is no bad, or flaw in either of those mechanics in the general gameplay; no system is balanced around them.

-- attack weaving and animation cancelling --

Some clarifications:
    • Weaving is firing an instant cast skill after a light attack, or triggering a skill during a heavy (which queues it to execute when heavy finishes).
    • Animation cancelling is the cutting short of an animation by an overriding action such as bar swapping, dodge rolling, or blocking.

Weaving

This isn't taught in game explicitly, but most players do it unintentionally without realising they're doing it. I've seen it, explained it to a player whilst they did it unknowingly. It is intuitive, because you often see low level players who have few skills unlocked mixing up the skills on their bar with light or heavy attacks -- the game encourages it in the tool tips for certain skills too. What happens is that as players grow in confidence and unlock more abilities, they lean to rely on those more than their weapon under the assumption that abilities deliver the most damage (which they do at a cost of resource); light and heavy attacks are free damage (and you can enchant them for more free damage), it's foolish not to use them on cool down == intuitive. Rotations factor in weaving because of that free damage.

Animation Cancelling

For reactive combat, you have to be able exit out of an animation at any point. Image you couldn't block because you had to wait for your current skill animation to end, or couldn't dodge, jump, or swap to another weapon -- their would be threads on the forum demanding it! Attacks, skills and mitigation have a priority in which the game executes them, weapon attack animations are overridden by skill/ability animations; skill/ability animations are overridden by mitigation actions. This is logical and intuitive, and makes for fluid combat.

Skilled players make use of this priority to maximise the damage they output == intuitive.

People are under the false impression that animation cancelling allows them to beat the cool down, or do some arcane act of godly dps. The cool down timer is still ticking -- whether you do it or not. Here's the thing, skills trigger on button up (i.e. release), there is a window of ~1s in which no other skill can be triggered (this is commonly referred to as the GCD); cast animations can overrun that window by .2-.5s, so AC bar swap or tapping block allows you to avoid that overrun and queue up your next skill sooner. No black magic.

I will say this, not many people actually cancel every animation unless for a bar swap. If you look at Alcast, for example, and his rotations, if you imagine the bars vertically for review: skills are assigned across them to be executed in a saw-tooth like rhythm. There is no 'cheating' going on, or broken mechanics, or glitching -- he (and any player who does this) is simply leveraging the combat system to its most potential and highest efficiency.

Yes, there are players that don't understand this, or don't want to, or who don't accept this. There are also players who have difficulty because of network latency and input lag -- there are also top-tier players who have their weaving interrupted because of lag in dungeons and trials -- but the truth is even at the lowest skill level, you can leverage this system in exactly the same way by simply understanding how execution priority is assigned. If latency is an issue, there are heavy attack rotations (xynode has a few).

I don't see myself as an elite player (far from it in fact. Maybe just average), I'm not the most consistent weaver, and I've noticed skills that are clunky or risk mis-firing if you weave (ground AoEs); I just don't weave those -- the trick is to slow down, think about what you're doing, then speed up as you become more familiar with it. Yet, I can do all content in game, have never been excluded from trials or dungeon runs, or been picked on for my dps (I have had people take upon themselves to advise me on gear without being asked, but that;s another discussion); quite the opposite, and I'm doing 35k on a dummy, 40k when my friend stands by buffing and casting elemental drain so I don't have to.

edit [atrocious spelling]
    Edited by mairwen85 on February 13, 2019 9:06AM
  • randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should be a range of difficulty for dungeons and a much wider choice of completion methods beyond "burn it down fast". Group play should introduce group solutions rather than just damager solutions.

With One Tamriel the traditional progression system got clobbered, a good thing in my opinion. In terms of gear this gave us a clearly defined end-point and CP which messes with that end-point and tried to "keep" with traditional progression.

This is where the problem lies.

Either you have the hamster treadmill of progression which is fake anyway as the enemies in new content level along side you and discard all old content or you keep the clear goalposts of levelled play and simply increase the breadth of the game opening up additional choices just not necessarily more powerful ones. You can't do both.

This means no stupidly over-powered sets being added and then dialled back. It means no sweeping changes for changes sake. It means incremental changes that fine tune and maintain balance. It means responsible changes.

It also means that a new dungeon may not be as "hard" as existing ones but it really, really needs to be as much if not more fun to play. In this game as in others there are instances which are my favourites, for appearance, for pace, for balance, for satisfaction. If I have the time and inclination to do a dungeon its more likely to be one of those than the latest and greatest because yes.... fun. Its all subjective too, that latest and greatest may be, for someone else, the best fun.

None of this is rocket science and certainly not marketing science but it is common sense, at least to me.

So with this game there should be no power progression or regression only an expansion of options. I wouldn't mind a careful refresh of some of the older dungeons though in light of how much the goalposts in this game have moved over the years.

EU PS4
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

VMA is actually an example of power atrophy. Thanks to the massive nerf to damage shields, VMA is harder than ever for some Magicka classes. Doesn't matter how much DPS has creeped up, the content is harder overall because of reduced defensive capabilities. Sustain has also been nerfed severely since VMA launched. Where is the creep?

Which classes excatly ? Name 1 class that have harder time to complete vMA right now then in 2015 when it was released.
    Edited by Juhasow on February 13, 2019 9:21AM
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came here for popcorns but was surprised how well this was written (even though I disagree with most of it)
    A soft cap for damage might be useful though. That would help to remove the absurd DPS numbers and stop players complaining content is too easy.
    Edited by Sinolai on February 13, 2019 9:21AM