The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

massive deterioration of gameplay quality on PC/EU-server since maintenance (JAN/28)

visionality
visionality
✭✭✭✭✭
@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_KaiSchober

Since Monday's maintenance and software update, the PC/EU-server has suffered a massive quality loss in terms of handling ESO. The login-problems may be fixed, but ping frenzies in PVE dungeons as much as in PVP Cyrodiil, where skills are not accessible for several seconds at a time. This is NOT the normal lag we had before, its at leaste twice as severe - and happening in situations with almost no NPCs or other players around.

Are you aware of the problem?
Do you have any idea how to fix this?
How long will it take you to fix it and will you be able to reestablish at least the status we had before that massivly disruptive maintenance?

A quick and informative answer would be appreciated.
Edited by visionality on February 7, 2019 3:04PM
  • Waynerx8
    Waynerx8
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Main issue is login - character swap and zone change loading screens (for me)

character screen can take so long that it actually times out at the server
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Login, character swaps, and zone changing haven't been an issue for me apart from the short time between Monday's scheduled maintenance and the server being taken down again that evening. Since then it's been fine but I haven't been in dungeons (delves have been ok) or PvP.
  • Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Character log in does feel more sluggish. And I noticed my CraftStores window is taking half a second to load, which freezes the game In the meantime. It didn't use to happen.

I've also had to relog today halfway through picking my surveys in Craglorn because suddenly enemies were invisible and untargetable, and the same went for resource nodes. I could see the glow but they were not there at all, both regular and survey nodes. Went back to normal after relog.

Could it have to do with it as well? Perhaps. But the performance in Craglorn has always been poor for me, and I don't mean FPS in the city. I mean trees and environment flickering and glitching constantly for no reason. It only happens in Craglorn, and it's happened in several computers/setups so I don't really think it's something on my end.
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play on both NA and EU and I can't stay logged into EU now. I'm constantly being logged out by the game. Don't have this issue on NA and I don't log in through Steam. But as it is now I can't play my EU toons because the game keeps logging me out.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Kilnerdyne
    Kilnerdyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes
    How long will it take you to fix it and will you be able to reestablish at least the status we had before that massivly disruptive maintenance?
    Dragons! Necromancer! Here's another DLC! Hey look over there! *jumps out the window*

WrUovkr.jpg
  • visionality
    visionality
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kilnerdyne I like your sarcasm but I think its misplaced in the current situation. My questions to ZOS are neither rhetorical nor meant as a joke.
    • Remember that ZOS thought Monday's maintenance would improve server performance, not deteriorate it.
    • Remember that ZOS didnt notice when the server shut down Monday evening and only after a flood of bug reports and complaints on this forum started investigating - and even then began with insisting it was not a server issue but related to 'too many players logging in at the same time'
    • Remember that ZOS thought the emergency shutdown and hotfix during Monday's primetime would fix the problem
    • Remember that ZOS ignored the increasing complaints on forum about abysmal server responses and timeouts during Tuesday morning, noon and early afternoon.
    • Remember that ZOS didnt notice the next server shutdown on Tuesday afternoon until forums started filling with bug reports and complaints.
    • Remember that ZOS did not announce further maintenance to repair the damage done to the PC/EU-server.

On a scale from 1 to 10 I would give ZOS a solid 9.8 that they are again completely unaware that the PC/EU-server is still not functioning properly and we should be as loud and noisy as possible to make them recognize and acknowledge it.
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its terrible, I agree
  • Veuth
    Veuth
    ✭✭✭
    Throwback to when I could play in 4k 60fps in 2017, it seems by every passing update the performance just gets worse. Now I get fps drops in 1440p and 4k is out of the question unless I want a solid 30.
    Edited by Veuth on February 1, 2019 9:43AM
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, it is been really bad since maintenance. Lag has gotten worse, bar swap not working, tiles of textures on ground not load, and if you go through the clearly visible line to the not loaded area you get stuck in the line, not able to move at all, sometimes for even 5 minutes. More disconnects than ever, random loadscreens in middle of nowhere (that usually no loadscreen expected) more than before.

No idea what happened at the maintenance or what was the software update you did to the server, but things just got worse.

And yes, nothing changed in my own setup and yes, my connection and other games work just fine.
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not buying Elsweyr till some server improvement, at least bad as it was before last maintenance.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS should finally try to get the extact same servers as they have in NA, same hardware and software.

If something pops up on one server, the same problem mights popup on the other (not that is a good thing tho)
    but atleast they only have to fix one thing, and then copy the solution over on the other server.

Furthermore its now prettymuch prooven, that the EU servers are "worse" in terms of performance, which alone should be a reason to either upgrade the servers drasticlly or change them completly.

but unbelievably it will Cost money, and gian no money...so ZOS wont do anything
    maybe the few ppl which cancelled sub where noticed by ZOS, and they will finally start to amp up the servers performance
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• LiraTaurwen
    LiraTaurwen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. Evers since last monday's maintenance the EU PC server just feels slower and I noticed there is more lag in instances and pvp to the point that it sometimes gets unplayable.

Opening guild stores and some other menus is alot slower than before too and overall the game seems more slugish. I noticed that my ping overall has slightly increased aswell.

Another thing I noticed, but it might just be my impression, is that the queue for bgs seems to get bugged alot more times now, for the last few days I have been pressing F for more than 15-20 minutes in more than 2 ocasions.

I feel like renewing my ESO+ will be a waste just as the server performance makes me waste time waiting or not playing in game due to bugs and lag.
  • sionIV
    sionIV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything takes longer for me (login, guild vendor, etc) and I get lag spikes more often than before.
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kilnerdyne wrote: »
    Yes
    Yes
    Dragons! Necromancer! Here's another DLC! Hey look over there! *jumps out the window*

WrUovkr.jpg

additionally

usg0c7A.png
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a side note, what is happening with this db lag fix in Cyrodiil? The one where you have to type your own name in the guild rooster, will this thing be fixed? I haven't seen it in PTS patch notes, but I might have overlooked it. Players are still reporting that it helps with lag/performance in Cyrodiil. However, I guess when there is a 24 players ball group around and I need 5-10 seconds to throw my Ultimate or even 5 seconds to cast a heal or shield, maybe 1 of those players is using this workaround. I wonder how much lag could be improved, if the fix was implemented in the game.
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • bitels
    bitels
    ✭✭✭✭
    and we should be as loud and noisy as possible to make them recognize and acknowledge it.

I agree with you that we should be vocal about it, but also fact that ZoS cannot see it by themselves and they need players to point out massive problems with server performance is a joke by itself. So its hard to react with anything else then sarcasm when you see what is their attitude towards EU server and its problems.

• Topso
    Topso
    ✭✭
    Can I add that trying to do any story, listening to Story/Voice acting and choosing a reply is also lagging, sometimes it has taken probably a minute before what I chose to say gone through other times its just closes the conversation. This is especially frustrating when I can't open the conversation again if it closes because the quest is already started and the time for questions or more lore is over. I don't play PvP or do dungeons that much, I play for the story and questing, when it is sooo bad that I can't even do the main story because of the lagg and fear of being kicked out off conversations missing out of the reason I play the game, I chose not the play at all.

I just wanted to add this to the conversation so they know it's not only a issue with PvP and Dungeons it's an issue with many other core elements of the game. To me in its current state its unplayable for me. Battle freezes, conversations freezes, my bear seems to be all over the place all the time. All I wanna do is quest and do story and I can't even do that. It was perfectly fine for me before mondays patch, haven't been able to play much at all this week, and I have already missed soo many conversations while checking if it's gotten better.

I am PC EU not on steam.
  • Jimmy
    Jimmy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC NA Master Race
    PC NA
    @SkruDe
  • MikaHR
    MikaHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, EU server still borked. Well was this morning with low population, it will be entertaining will be entertaining how weekend and peak population will fare.

SO far ive given up on skyshard hunting (and i definitively need it on several characterss) as with every delve taking 10-15 minutes to load (few days ago) its really pointless.
    Edited by MikaHR on February 1, 2019 2:48PM
  • Kilnerdyne
    Kilnerdyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @visionality apologies for the sarcasm, it wasn't an attempt to downplay the issue you have very good points here.

Humor is all I have remaining now that hope in ZOS is lost. It would take a miracle now to save the company. Some kind of organized boycott of ESO+, the Crown store or both which would force them to either commit more resources or kill the game.

But at this point it's probably too late.
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Does anyone else feel like this is ZOS' last ditch attempt to keep players happy and from leaving the game?

"Let's give them all of these things that the community has been asking for this year so that they don't leave!"
    "But we said that dragons won't be in..."
    "ALL OF THE THINGS!"
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SaltySudd wrote: »

Does anyone else feel like this is ZOS' last ditch attempt to keep players happy and from leaving the game?

"Let's give them all of these things that the community has been asking for this year so that they don't leave!"
    "ALL OF THE THINGS!"

In all seriousness, it has crossed my mind. A number of upcoming changes are long-standing requests by the players, from UI overhauls to race balances, necromancer class and yes, dragons. There have also been staff changes that I interpret as an attempt to break with past tendencies. Unfortunately, this doesn't fix the main issue I have with the game - apart from monetization - which is a lack of mid- and long-term vision. I wouldn't call it last ditch, though. You'd be amazed how long MMOs survive after they start to die off. It's not easy to give up the time (and sometimes money) investment in these games.
  • andreasv
    andreasv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SaltySudd wrote: »

"ALL OF THE THINGS!"

I was surprised when I heard all of that. Dragons and the new class are huge features that players always wanted. Those are huge selling points and I wonder what they're planning for 2020. It's difficult to top and I doubt they've got lots in store for the future.
  • SoulPT
    SoulPT
    ✭✭✭
    I agree the EU server still has something wrong. I also get disconnected a few times a day now and some textures don't load properly. Some of the npcs seems to flash sometimes too. It all started happening after Tuesday's server boot.

I think there may be some hardware issue with the server or at the very least database problems.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree on the ping. Even in normal I stick at 90...
    In all other game I never had more than 50..

Got ping totaly crazy yesterday in Falk Frot, between 200 and 999 u_u
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• visionality
    visionality
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVPing in Vivec tonight, here is a collection of server failures commonly or constantly happening in small scale (3-4 players engaged), mid scale (<20) and big scale ALL THE SAME. The number of players present at any location an any time does not make any noticable difference in terms of server performance:

* low health desync: when getting low on health, the server desyncs, not updating health. Approx 2-4 seconds later health dropps dramatically. When you react on it, healing and potions pop but dont take any effect, approx. 2-4 seconds later you drop dead (you have lost the potion, though, because for the server you used it while dead :/ )
    * target desync: targeting your target is a game of luck with more than one enemy around, server is obviously not able to synchronize targeting anymore. Skills often hit players that passed the area a few seconds before. Most drastic example tonight: I activated soul assault on a player right in front of me, active beam pointed 90 degrees to the right (out of my sight), attacking another player that was at the targets location approx 3 seconds earlier
    * skills desync: skills fire not at all or with massive delay. BUT the next three skills might fire completely normal again, making any sensible skill rotation or reaction to situation impossible
    * every second streak uphill costs full magicka and does not move char a pixel

zone chat is flooded with complaints

guess this list will get even longer if I continue playing ... :(
  • DJfriede
    DJfriede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I simply ran out of words how to describe that *** server performance. To say it in the kindest way possible: On a scale from utterly terrible (lowest available score) to super awesome, the performance is utterly terrible.

For crying out loud, do something, ZOS!
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Before this maintenance I didn't know that such ping is even possible to achieve
    2019-01-18-2.png