Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Unexpected crashing while in game

• Ruenn
    Ruenn
    Is there any word on if they are continuing to work on this issue? The issues are certainly not resolved. Would love some type of communication from anyone @ZOS. Thanks!
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently "eso quit unexpectedly" after 40 minutes. I'd have to say it wasn't unexpected AT ALL

Currently I have ZERO intention of renewing my sub or purchasing anything else until this is actually sorted out.

This Mac client is unfit for purpose

It's almost fraud to describe this as a Mac game.

44 days of unplayable s***e and counting

Clearly ZOS still don't give a toss
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also worth noting that the patch notes on the PTS for update 21 don't include ANYTHING regarding addressing these issues.

So let's not get remotely underwhelmed that they are doing anything about this.

To think I used to actually enjoy playing this game. Now it feels more like an unpleasant chore - not that I can actually do anything due to the constant crashing..
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruenn wrote: »
    Is there any word on if they are continuing to work on this issue? The issues are certainly not resolved. Would love some type of communication from anyone @ZOS. Thanks!

Hey all,

Just wanted to confirm that we are still working on the issue. We have been discussing this internally and a more detailed explanation of the steps we are taking to improve Mac performance will be coming soon. Thank you for your continued patience with all of this.
    Staff Post
  • demerdecanswrath
    demerdecanswrath
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to confirm that we are still working on the issue. We have been discussing this internally and..

YES! More of that, pretty please. As long as the end product brings real value to the table and we don't grow old and feeble waiting for it, I'm rooting big for you ZoS.
    Characters:
    • Arien Larethian (High Elf Templar)
    • Relus Demerdecan (Redguard Dragonknight)
    • Elisia Bonaire (Breton Nightblade)

Proudly playing and producing content on a 2018 15" MacBook Pro.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, crashed again. Half way through a boss fight. That's 20 minutes of questing I am going to have to replay just to get back where I started. Plus all the achievements get trashed.

Had to explain to my guildies why I don't go delving, dungeoning, questing, trialling or anything else with them any more. It's unfair to them for me to be crashing out all the time. F***s me off and spoils their gaming.

I have ZERO expectation that anyone at ZOS will be arsed about this or will do anything about it.

Ticket #190123-003522

44 days of misery and contempt
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_AlexTardif ?

Any comment?
  • ArranHS
    ArranHS

Hey all,

Just wanted to confirm that we are still working on the issue. We have been discussing this internally and a more detailed explanation of the steps we are taking to improve Mac performance will be coming soon. Thank you for your continued patience with all of this.

Thank you :)
    Communication between ZOS and the mac players here goes a long way as I think the lack of it on this subject is what has been frustrating people the most.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Day 45

This time was different, I crashed in Grahtwood handing in a writ.

This Mac client is a total abomination. I curl my lip of scathing contempt in your general direction.

Ticket #190124-002100

@ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_AlexTardif ?

At this point saying you understand there is a problem and "are working on it" is not really acceptable. We need to have some kind of timescale for a solution that is realistic. Looking at the PTS, there's nothing there to suggest that you are doing anything to address this issue in update 21, so when do you plan to give Mac users the kind of game experience PC users are getting?

Is there any point in us investing in the next DLC if the performance is going to stay this woeful?

What is the point of investing in Elsewyr if the performance is going to be this bad?

btw I have, apparently, been promoted in the forum for having so many crashes - there's a rather pathetic irony there
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another glorious 41 minutes of gameplay before the inevitable crash

Ticket #190124-002359

@ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_AlexTardif and ZOS_SarahHecker?

Have you given up on Mac users? Or just forgotten to make an effort communicating with us?
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This time I only got 25 minutes of game play

I suspect the PTS is burning all their energy atm

Ticket #190124-003459

@ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_AlexTardif and @ZOS_SarahHecker

Is this the kind of performance I paid for? I don't think so
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Day 46

SSDD

Ticket #190125-001683

Just over an hour before crashing.

Still can't do dungeons, DLC, trials, BGs, PvP or any serious group content due to constant crashing

This isn't what I want from my favourite game

Any thoughts @ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_AlexTardif and @ZOS_SarahHecker?
  • dm_critic
    dm_critic
    ✭✭
    Just dotting this thread so I can follow along. I've been on the FPS thread that's been going since Oct. Currently running ESO on Windows 10 via Bootcamp and waiting for a usable Mac client again like everyone else.
  • ZOS_RogerJ
    ZOS_RogerJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a friendly reminder to keep the thread on-topic and to bear in mind our community rules around spamming.
    Edited by ZOS_RogerJ on January 25, 2019 5:53PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

As you know, we upgraded Mac players to Metal/MoltenVK so you could continue to play ESO after OpenGL is fully phased out by Apple. However, this caused unexpected performance issues that we are continuing to see despite our recent updates.

The frequent crash rate you are experiencing has been the number one priority for our team in terms of Mac clients. We have a fix for this scheduled for the next incremental expected mid-February. We also have been testing fixes for the low FPS many of you have been experiencing. As soon as that fix is verified, we will deploy it in either the same incremental or the update immediately following it.

Finally, we have brought on some additional engineering resources to help improve game performance this year. This will hopefully help with the underlying causes behind these problems as well as promote stability across all platforms. We expect these changes to roll out in the latter half of this year.

We will continue to update this thread with information as we have it. Please continue to report any other issues you run into.

Thank you again for your patience.
    Staff Post
  • Suddwrath
    Suddwrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

As you know, we upgraded Mac players to Metal/MoltenVK so you could continue to play ESO after OpenGL is fully phased out by Apple. However, this caused unexpected performance issues that we are continuing to see despite our recent updates.

The frequent crash rate you are experiencing has been the number one priority for our team in terms of Mac clients. We have a fix for this scheduled for the next incremental expected mid-February. We also have been testing fixes for the low FPS many of you have been experiencing. As soon as that fix is verified, we will deploy it in either the same incremental or the update immediately following it.

Finally, we have brought on some additional engineering resources to help improve game performance this year. This will hopefully help with the underlying causes behind these problems as well as promote stability across all platforms. We expect these changes to roll out in the latter half of this year.

We will continue to update this thread with information as we have it. Please continue to report any other issues you run into.

@ZOS_SarahHecker
    I don't even have a Mac but that is exactly the type of communication myself and others have been asking for from ZOS. So thank you :)
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    First, big thanks to @ZOS_SarahHecker for the update. It makes a difference. Please continue to keep us updated.

(Not having anything new to say doesn't mean you should say nothing, simply letting us know you are monitoring the issue and doing things to rectify the situation is important)

Second, although I have crashed (AGAIN), I was actually able to play for around 2 hours and do a normal dungeon run with my guildies. Can't tell you how happy that made me. My first dungeon without crashing for 46 days.

Still filed a ticket and was a bit moody when I crashed. Can't wait for the fix to come in.

Ticket #190125-003448

• Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is probably neither here nor there, but because this started at the same time I started having to force quit, I thought I'd mention it. (You never really know what is connected to what, right?) Instead of typing in my password, I have to click multiple times into the password field to activate it to where it will accept me typing into it. Sometimes I have to click in the username field first (my username is almost always there because I have it checked to remain there and I only have to retype it after an update). Just thought it might be worth mentioning.
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • kamimark
    kamimark
    ✭✭✭✭

Definitely an improvement in communication. How about something like this every patch day? Even just "we ain't dead" is a step up.
    Kitty Rainbow Dash. pick, pick, stab.
  • Ruenn
    Ruenn
    Just want to echo what others have said, Thank you so much for the update. I am so looking forward to Elsweyr and it would be fantastic to be able to experience it with current problems resolved. Please let us know if there is anything the Mac community can do to assist. In the meantime, will try to be patient ;)
  • brett.burrissrwb17_ESO
    brett.burrissrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks Sarah,

much appreciated update.

rgds,

BB
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    IMO, it's impt that we all keep submitting tickets or updating existing ones. They are being actively reviewed! Our posts here shld have our system info and crash report (attached as spoiler note works best, imo) so devs/comm mgrs and the rest of us mac users can see it and compare our notes. I, personally, see progress on this. Keeping positive here. :smile:

22x56d0wln27.png

Just want to echo what others have said, Thank you so much for the update. I am so looking forward to Elsweyr and it would be fantastic to be able to experience it with current problems resolved. Please let us know if there is anything the Mac community can do to assist. In the meantime, will try to be patient ;)
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    Agree. I think I remember this problem first happened after Mojave & Murk patch for me too.. Usually, at the game LOGIN, I was always able to just type my password and got in game. But since Mojave/Murkmire Update20, I have to "re click" in the password entry box to enter it. I also see the notification pop up that the game launcher is NOT optimized for 64 bit (its still 32 bit). May also be related to this overall issue.

omd7loav8xs8.png

This is probably neither here nor there, but because this started at the same time I started having to force quit, I thought I'd mention it. (You never really know what is connected to what, right?) Instead of typing in my password, I have to click multiple times into the password field to activate it to where it will accept me typing into it. Sometimes I have to click in the username field first (my username is almost always there because I have it checked to remain there and I only have to retype it after an update). Just thought it might be worth mentioning.
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Thank you very much for the information and response. This is all I wanted to know. I look forward to seeing improved game performance near my birthday. 36 on feb 20th B)
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭

I haven't had this problem myself
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    nnd1pwhtcibn.png

I have had about 2 crashes in game doing dungeons. And again recently doing regular story quests. My ping is still somewhat erratic and my fps is still VERY low. My fps just sits at 30 now where before it hovered around 60 before mirkmire. I still have to force quit the game every time I quit it though.

This is not meant to spam. So I wanted to thank you @ZOS_SarahHecker again for not just the communication. But the information and the approximate date of implementation. It is VERY much appreciated.
  • jediodyn_ESO
    jediodyn_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Curse you Apple, you even have better customer service in ESO. I wish the rest of our devs would talk to us.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Day 47

60 mins play before another random crash.

Ticket #190126-002753

Once again I couldn't join my guild on its weekly trial because it's not acceptable to regularly crash during guild events.

The fix can't come fast enough.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a question if you could give some insight, your engineering team is it more for server arch or systems? I believe that you would benefit from both significantly, but optimizing the systems and the core engine would see the most immediate returns.

Kudos for looking at the problem and realizing that you need heavy lifters, hopefully you can work out the kinks that you have not been able to identify and give the people the game they so longingly pine for and deserve.

Bringing on intelligent, systems and math orientated people like gillium, moving away from "feelings" motivated combat leads and putting a person with a long pedigree in the pvp side of mmo's has 2019 looking like you guys have really begun to believe in the longevity of the game and its profitability, so I'm for one happy.

Not that it matters lol, but I appreciate it when a company takes an introspective look and starts to chip away at problems.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Ruenn
    Ruenn
    Thanks for the reminder @keto3000. I have submitted my computer specs and crash data via email to the ZOS team when asked and via the bug reports of the ticket system. I will also post here if it will help. I too remain hopeful for a solution and want to do everything I can to positively move the ball forward.

keto3000 wrote: »
    IMO, it's impt that we all keep submitting tickets or updating existing ones. They are being actively reviewed! Our posts here shld have our system info and crash report (attached as spoiler note works best, imo) so devs/comm mgrs and the rest of us mac users can see it and compare our notes. I, personally, see progress on this. Keeping positive here. :smile:

22x56d0wln27.png

This discussion has been closed.