The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Calls for DK Wings Nerf, Why?

Matthros
Matthros
✭✭✭
My main is a DK and been enjoying playing it for years. Why all of sudden are multiple posts to nerf wings when they were never an issue and have been nerfed multiple times already? Did a lot of players switch to ranged builds and can’t kill us as easily?
Edited by Matthros on January 14, 2019 10:41PM
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm mostly playing on a stamblade and have zero issues with wings. It's a class-defining skill and it's in a totally fine place right now. Not sure why so many are struggling with it.

Maybe it's all the PvE snipe-spammers getting a rude awakening when they wander into PvP for the event 🤔 beats me!
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because the forums are full of Sorc and NB mains who just want to pew pew at range with no repercussions whatsoever.

Once they're done with this campaign to get wings nerfed, sorc mains will go back to trying to get cloak nerfed and NB mains will go back to trying to get every single defense mechanism besides cloak nerfed. They just happened to find a common cause this time.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ccmedaddy wrote: »
    Because the forums are full of Sorc and NB mains who just want to pew pew at range with no repercussions whatsoever.

Once they're done with this campaign to get wings nerfed, sorc mains will go back to trying to get cloak nerfed and NB mains will go back to trying to get every single defense mechanism besides cloak nerfed. They just happened to find a common cause this time.

maybe cuz no one likes having 100% of their damage negated when that class also had the best self healing, CC, and very good single target pressure.

If wing's didn't negate everything I'm sure people would care less but it basically makes fighting a DK a waste of time as a ranged build. Like sorry there is just no damn point, not only can they out-heal you but they will also take little to no damage.
    Edited by NyassaV on January 14, 2019 11:30PM
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NyassaV wrote: »

maybe cuz no one likes having 100% of their damage negated when that class also had the best self healing, CC, and very good single target pressure.

If wing's didn't negate everything I'm sure people would care less but it basically makes fighting a DK a waste of time as a ranged build. Like sorry there is just no damn point, not only can they out-heal you but they will also take little to no damage.

So you believe there should be no price to pay for playing a ranged-only build? Sorcs can use Haunting Curse, Crushing Shock, Mage's Wrath and they won't be reflected. 100% of damage negated is a bit of an exaggeration, no?
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

cough Cloak, Shimmering Shield.

I get that the reflect is frustrating, and might be a tad overboard, but wings is not the only skill that completely shuts down ranged playstyles. It isn't even the best.

Wings can reflect 4 projectiles, Shimmering absorbs an amount of damage from 3. Wings protects from more. But what happens when the projectile cap is hit? You get maybe 1 more second worth of snare immunity. That's it. Shimmering? Half the cost of the skill is refunded, and you've got a few seconds of ultimate generation from Major Heroism. I'd take Shimmering Shield over wings in a heartbeat.
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snare removal and wings immunity to ranged make DKs best in tanking even from templar.
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wings totaly hard counter ranged playstyle, and hard countering between 2 to 4 offensive global cooldown + the reflect by yourself using 1 GCD is overpowered.

Wings is now popular because it's bring snare removal and immobilisation + 2 to 4s immunity VS ranged playstyle.

You take a skill that's overpowered in 1 ranged player vs Dk situation and you make it popular with a new good effect and you obtain people complaining about a skill often used that totaly counter them. EZ to understand.

About "nerfing wings" there is few ways to balance the skill without being a true "nerf".

You can make wings only countering range projectile and not melee one, giving back to the skill it's range hate.

Or you can make it reflect like 3 projectile but this being per player and not being 4 projectile by anyone.

Wings is not supposed to be an I win button vs ranged playstyle, but it's supposed to be a tool that help the dk to not being pew pew to death from 40m while he try to goes melee.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So you believe there should be no price to pay for playing a ranged-only build? Sorcs can use Haunting Curse, Crushing Shock, Mage's Wrath and they won't be reflected. 100% of damage negated is a bit of an exaggeration, no?

Can you imagine if Sorcs had a skill that negated 100% of Flame damage? mDKs would throw a fit. But then we could say:

"Hey, you chose to play a flame damage-only build; you gotta pay the price. Besides, Fossilize and Volatile do magicka damage, so saying 100% of your damage is negated is a bit of an exaggeration, no?"

You see how easy that would be? And also how nonsensical?

Certain classes tend to gravitate towards certain builds not because they're unaware of or reluctant to use alternatives, but because class design significantly shoehorns you into making certain optimised choices. You could make a magDK with no flame spells on their bar, but you don't cos that would just be stupid.
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • IAVITNI
    IAVITNI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »

Can you imagine if Sorcs had a skill that negated 100% of Flame damage? mDKs would throw a fit. But then we could say:

"Hey, you chose to play a flame damage-only build; you gotta pay the price. Besides, Fossilize and Volatile do magicka damage, so saying 100% of your damage is negated is a bit of an exaggeration, no?"

Certain classes tend to gravitate towards certain builds not because they're unaware of or reluctant to use alternatives, but because class design significantly shoehorns you into making certain optimised choices. You could make a magDK with no flame spells on their bar, but you don't cos that would just be stupid.

What's wrong with that? mDKs could just use impulse with a lightning staff. Clench deals frost and lightning damage as well. And Ice Comet is frost damage so they still have a magicka ultimate that they can use.

Although the proper response would have been if mag sorcs had an ability that negated all attacks made within 8 meters :wink:
  • GeneralSezme
    GeneralSezme
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its not just about “ranged builds” bowtards can get their face painted for all I care. But what about magblade, conceal cannot be compared to dk’s single target, and just about any other abillty mnb can use is reflectable.

Make wings like wardens shield, it would be a buff to it in my opinion and it will make it useful against all ranged damage instead of just a few abillities
    Edited by GeneralSezme on January 15, 2019 12:02AM
    Invictus
    Cheese Engine
    HIGH LATËNCY

My bombing videos

Notable toons:
    Pact Corsair- Breton Magblade Former Emperor BWB Prolly Stole your scroll and bombed you
    Lack of Aoe caps: Prolly bombed u
    Neraz Gulio- Stamplar- Former Empress BWB
    Paints-Her-Face - prolly painted your face
    Zealot of the Great Sun- Blazeplar, frmr Emp Vivec

• Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IAVITNI wrote: »

What's wrong with that? mDKs could just use impulse with a lightning staff. Clench deals frost and lightning damage as well. And Ice Comet is frost damage so they still have a magicka ultimate that they can use.

Although the proper response would have been if mag sorcs had an ability that negated all attacks made within 8 meters :wink:

You seems to not play at high skill level.

The problem is not if you can have one or two abilities not being reflected. The problem is about key skills from ranged play style being are hardcoutered and without theze key skills, you cannot make the kill because this is how the class is designed.

If you think you can kill a good player by using a dk with impulse/clench and ice comet only without fire damage or healing comming from it (embers, PL), then you have no idea about what's happen in competitive areas.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    IAVITNI wrote: »

Right—they absolutely could. But their kill potential on anything but a Sorc would plummet. Clench and impulse have low tooltips and high costs, meteor not only hits for less than leap but is highly telegraphed and mitigated, you lose the main bulk of your damage which is pressure from Embers & breath (not to mention the burst heal from Embers), etc, etc.

Hell, at the end of the day you'd still have trouble killing Sorcs, the very thing you tried to adapt to, in spite and because of the numerous sacrifices made.

It's actually a really exportable analogy to the DKs who tell Sorcs to slot Force Pulse and solve all their woes—knowing full well that Force Pulse spam with no light attacks doesn't pose the slightest threat, especially when Frags—the Sorc's only burst tool, with no unreflectable substitute—isn't going to land in either case.

So you end up with a Sorc that upturned their entire build to fight DKs, still being unable to challenge DKs of comparable skill, while further gimping themselves against everyone else. Not the best deal you could make.
    Edited by TheYKcid on January 15, 2019 12:14AM
  • Steelshiv
    Steelshiv
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flappy wings may need a Nerf because of a few players that abuse it. I've seen NEAR perfect uptime on wings. I've been in situations in PvP where I've fought dk's who use flappy wings every 6 seconds or after 4 projectiles routinely. It is beyond annoying that 100% of my damage is being reflected back at me. It doesn't allow me to do killing damage without a very long drawn out game of "whose resources run out first" which usually results in my enemy's friends showing up and rolling me.

I don't particularly care if it's nerfed or not. The problem is with the perfect wings uptime players and even then I just adapt to the situation I guess so it isn't really a problem. Just annoying.

Addendum: after my main class, sorcerer was nerfed into the ground after Murkmire I am very hesitant to call for the Nerf of anything since ZoS seems to do it with a SLEDGEHAMMER.
    Edited by Steelshiv on January 15, 2019 12:15AM
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But, they don't. Wings don't reflect all ranged skills either, only projectiles. This is a false equivelance.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And my hypothetical Sorc skill wouldn't block all DK skills, either, just the flame damage ones.

The analogy holds.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not everyone plays a magicka sorc. Magblade is where this issue shines

Either way it's not like getting into melee range stops the reflect effect so still unbalanced. If I could point blank people and not get screwed by wings that would be considerably more balanced. Or if you really want then we can have it reflect 2 projectiles per person.
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Either way it's not like getting into melee range stops the reflect effect so still unbalanced. If I could point blank people and not get screwed by wings that would be considerably more balanced. Or if you really want then we can have it reflect 2 projectiles per person.

MagBlade has Lotus Fan, Concealed Weapon, Crippling Grasp, Swallow Soul, and access to Crushing Shock. Still not seeing the issue.
    Edited by oXI_Viper_IXo on January 15, 2019 2:12AM
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there is a way to make wings feel useful in outnumbered or even just general large-scale PvP that doesn't make it feel overpowered in 1v1s.

The same is true of many class-defining defenses--if they are useful in open world play, they become obnoxious in a true 1v1 against certain builds.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice ability, should never be mechanically changed.

I did get hit by a 22k wings once though. I did feel like that was a tad bit high for a very cheap ult... but hey, that was only once :P
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a nice ability, should never be mechanically changed.

I did get hit by a 22k wings once though. I did feel like that was a tad bit high for a very cheap ult... but hey, that was only once :P

Thinking of the wrong skill, dude. OP is talking about Reflective Scales.
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^:::Guy who snipes everyone from a mile away in stealth (which negates everything, including sight lol) gets mad that theres a way to stop him from playing hide n go snipe. I can assure you that snipe and ranged builds need a much harder nerf than dk wings lol.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wings ALWAYS needed to be nerfed. The reason you're hearing about it now is because DKs are EVERYWHERE.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Non DK whingers. Need more nerf cloak threads
  • Conduit0
    Conduit0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll admit wings needs a nerf when Nightblades admit that cloak needs an even bigger nerf.
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wings is fine, leave it alone.
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because it's PvP event and all the scrubs that has no counter play for wings, cloak or whatever is gonna go to the forums and cry.
    EU PC
  • Sylphie
    Sylphie
    ✭✭✭
    Half the duration, double the projectiles reflected. This buffs it open world when you're trying to 1v5+ a bunch of snipers and nerfs it in duels, with wings being a more reactionary skill than a status buff you just apply on CD.

@Curie
    Làin - MagDK
    1vX and outnumbered pvp compliations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0gPPFOdjYCuyuuog7QcjJg
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylphie wrote: »
    Half the duration, double the projectiles reflected. This buffs it open world when you're trying to 1v5+ a bunch of snipers and nerfs it in duels, with wings being a more reactionary skill than a status buff you just apply on CD.

The duration is only a few seconds. It is impractical to half the duration.

The only reason someone would want to nerf DK wings (after the big nerfs they took early on) is because they are inconvenienced to consider doing something different. There are many ranged skills that are not reflected.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And my hypothetical Sorc skill wouldn't block all DK skills, either, just the flame damage ones.

The analogy holds.

The problem with your analogy is that it assumes a mDK can do the same amount of damage/burst using non-flame attacks as a sorcerer can using non-projectile attacks(that means curse-shock-fury-meteor-cage), and that's not even remotely true.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

MagBlade has Lotus Fan, Concealed Weapon, Crippling Grasp, Swallow Soul, and access to Crushing Shock. Still not seeing the issue.

Cripple and swallow get reflected. Melee is barely a viable playstyle especially after healing ward got screwed up. And gap closers are largely useless in most cases. TBH I don't know why swallow is a projectile but it is.

You obviously don't know enough about magblades so plz stop commenting on them.