The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Some players really confuse me

ApostateHobo
ApostateHobo
✭✭✭✭✭
So like pretty much everyone else I've being running dungeons for the event, and I keep encountering max cp or just very high cp players that play like complete noobs. They have 10-12k health and stand way in the back spamming just one ability and light attacks. How on earth have these people gotten this far like that? One guy was close to max cp with 10k health queued as a tank on a sorc, and dude wasn't even using a damage shield. Guy got sneezed on by a harpy and died.

Also decided to finally roll a healer for this event, which I actually really enjoy playing, and it's like they intentionally avoid all my heals. Why you standing way behind me away from everyone else where my heals can't reach you just stand in the sparklies and flowers man they are there to heal yo squishy 10k hp butt.

Anyways yeah what the heck is up with these people?
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That might be their "mule" character and while they share their cp with their main, they have no gear and very few skills unlocked.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So like pretty much everyone else I've being running dungeons for the event, and I keep encountering max cp or just very high cp players that play like complete noobs. They have 10-12k health and stand way in the back spamming just one ability and light attacks. How on earth have these people gotten this far like that? One guy was close to max cp with 10k health queued as a tank on a sorc, and dude wasn't even using a damage shield. Guy got sneezed on by a harpy and died.

I have a number of Level 50 characters and am at CP cap and I have probably been in a dungeon group less than a dozen times. I just don't do that content, and I don't know most of the dungeons. I am also not grouping up for this event. I will get my event tickets by soloing a couple different normal dungeons.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I'm on a healer trying to heal someone behind me, I'm all like, "What are they doing back there? Are they an idiot?"

When I'm on a ranged DPS and I end up behind the healer, I'm all like, "What is the healer doing that close to the action? Are they an idiot?"

YMMV
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I'm tanking, the only time I care about DD positioning is when someone is hanging out way in the back on one of those bosses who jumps to the person whose farthest away.

Those people I just look at and think "I hope you don't mind the boss pouncing on you every single time because there's nothing I can do about it..."
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    That might be their "mule" character and while they share their cp with their main, they have no gear and very few skills unlocked.

Even so they would've had to level that character to 50 for it to display cp so they'd have to have at least SOME skills unlocked right? Or do people just level them through doing crafting writs or something, and then dump all points into just crafting skills?
  • KRBMMO
    KRBMMO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like an old D&D joke: "Stand behind the healer!"

Seriously, though:
    Last week I ran across a place online where people could buy accounts for various games.

My bet is that people with High CP who can't play got their account from someone else.

You know when people say "Why would you report bot trains? They aren't doing anything to harm you!"
    Well, the bot trains sell that account to a noob and then you get grouped with them in a dungeon, lol. That's ultimately why bot trains ruin the game.
    Edited by KRBMMO on November 30, 2018 10:48PM
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also decided to finally roll a healer for this event, which I actually really enjoy playing, and it's like they intentionally avoid all my heals. Why you standing way behind me away from everyone else where my heals can't reach you just stand in the sparklies and flowers man they are there to heal yo squishy 10k hp butt.

If I level a character to 50 via Anchors spamming rain of arrows or the cone effect acid attack (shows how much I play archers except for at anchors) I get all the CP from my account as soon as I ding. My point is that the CP a character has means very little.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of things:
    • Remember that CP is only an indicator of how long someone's been playing, not what they've done. They could have gotten to 810 doing writs or delve dailies.
    • It's possible they bought pre-leveled accounts. So that's a new player with 810 CP.
    • It's possible they were powereleveled using Skyreach carries or similar content. End result is the same, they don't know how to play, but here we are.
    • They're bots.

There are a shocking number of players who've really never learned the game, staggering around out there.
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If I level a character to 50 via Anchors spamming rain of arrows or the cone effect acid attack (shows how much I play archers except for at anchors) I get all the CP from my account as soon as I ding. My point is that the CP a character has means very little.

Okay but normally people assume high cp means the person has been playing a while so they should at least somewhat know what they're doing and that they won't just stand in a far off corner spamming snipe lol
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even so they would've had to level that character to 50 for it to display cp so they'd have to have at least SOME skills unlocked right? Or do people just level them through doing crafting writs or something, and then dump all points into just crafting skills?

They level them by doing the dolms in the desert, using just the gear they get from them, and yes they dump all points into the crafting.
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KRBMMO wrote: »
    Sounds like an old D&D joke: "Stand behind the healer!"

Seriously, though:
    Last week I ran across a place online where people could buy accounts for various games.

My bet is that people with High CP who can't play got their account from someone else.

You know when people say "Why would you report bot trains? They aren't doing anything to harm you!"
    Well, the bot trains sell that account to a noob and then you get grouped with them in a dungeon, lol. That's ultimately why bot trains ruin the game.

I always forget there's people that actually do that. Crap makes no sense to me haha
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They level them by doing the dolms in the desert, using just the gear they get from them, and yes they dump all points into the crafting.

Dang that sounds really boring
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I still think CP denotes someone who knows what they are doing, although that belief is much, much, much weaker than it once was. They may be dolmen farmers, like others have said.

However, there is the possibility that these are the rare all-solo type players who stick to overland stuff and these dungeons are new or unfamiliar.
  • Jameliel
    Jameliel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was selling Skyreach runs, and a guy who was paying told me he had only been playing for 2 days. When he hit 50 I saw his CP was max. This in combination with all the gold he had to pay me with, leads me to conclude he and others like him buy accounts.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think they're that rare.
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jameliel wrote: »
    I was selling Skyreach runs, and a guy who was paying told me he had only been playing for 2 days. When he hit 50 I saw his CP was max. This in combination with all the gold he had to pay me with, leads me to conclude he and others like him buy accounts.

Yikes
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is just one more reminder why I avoid group content.

I'm CP-614, haven't done a dungeon in a group since the first month I played this game. I do quests, delves, public dungeons, gather, grind for mats, a few world bosses, Maelstrom Arena, and even some group dungeons. And, yes, I farm dolmens while I'm listening to audio books.

I avoid dungeons for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being the elitist attitude displayed by some here and how casually that contempt manifests itself in group chat.

Really, it's a complete tragedy for y'all that people like me dare to attempt grouping up for a dungeon.

• Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What really confuses me is when you ask someone "you need all the bosses or we skip" and he says "I need" but then runs ahead and skips everything leaving the rest of us fighting a boss. And similar sociophatic behaviors, apparently interacting with human beings is a difficult skill these days. :/

Also 11k health "tank" with bows. :D
    Edited by Loves_guars on November 30, 2018 11:38PM
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think CP denotes someone who knows what they are doing, although that belief is much, much, much weaker than it once was. They may be dolmen farmers, like others have said.

However, there is the possibility that these are the rare all-solo type players who stick to overland stuff and these dungeons are new or unfamiliar.

That’s me. Until recently have only been doing quests on my 760cp characters. Now I am learning from a great guild how to do dungeons.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, has some of them myself but not so bad as they have 70 skill point something and its always posible to craft or gather some sort of relevant gear.
    However I once entered an dungeon without any weapons at all, did not notice I had no staff on back, costume but nothing below :) Later had the rule that alts without relevant gear should wear ledgerman civilian clothes.
    And yes it will be some builds like magblades I have no idea about how to use.

On the other hand you have plenty of very causal players who never do dungeons outside the event. Has run into high cp players who struggle in delves.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abigail wrote: »

I'm CP-614, haven't done a dungeon in a group since the first month I played this game. I do quests, delves, public dungeons, gather, grind for mats, a few world bosses, Maelstrom Arena, and even some group dungeons. And, yes, I farm dolmens while I'm listening to audio books.

I avoid dungeons for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being the elitist attitude displayed by some here and how casually that contempt manifests itself in group chat.

Really, it's a complete tragedy for y'all that people like me dare to attempt grouping up for a dungeon.
    Normal dungeons are very relaxed even more so with an guild. However this evet is the wrong time to get into them as so many want to do dungeons on 8+ alts for the rewards and want it to be fast.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No one's being an elitist though? I'm just wondering why people don't bother to use a food to boost their health or use any abilities. Unless that's being elitist then my bad, but when somebody dies multiple times in like 3 hits to a single non boss enemy in a normal dungeon there miiight just be a problem there XD
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All skill points I have on my mules used to max out crafting so I can do daily writ and get daily material from hireling. No skill point left for skills. No gear either. When I bring these mules to this event I always group with a friend who can carry the whole thing so i can just stay behind punching things with my bare hand.
    Edited by TheDarkShadow on December 1, 2018 5:36AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's nothing wrong with being new in Groupfinder.

However, I do take the approach that Group Dungeons are a group effort, and even new people can prepare for success at their role on the team.

That means preparing with decent gear for your level, whatever potions you need, and a food/drink buff.

For tanks, that means equipping a taunt, using it, and having enough health/defenses to survive.

For healers, that means having class heals or a resto staff and being prepared to heal teammates.

For Damage Dealers, that means knowing your DPS (target dummies are great) and queuing accordingly. It also means having a mix of AOE skills and single target damage to deal with mobs and bosses. You can complete most normal dungeons with 5 to 10k DPS, but higher DPS makes for easier clears.

And for everyone, it means that if you don't know the mechanic, you ask if you are struggling with it. To use the example I mentioned above, the spider boss in Spindleclutch 1 jumps to the farthest person. If its not causing a problem, cool, but if it was, just ask and someone can probably explain the mechanic. Or for another example, I've been yelled at for not taunting when a red phase Centurion in Darkshade 1 was chasing a DD, and I had to explain that the red phase one is untauntable. Most of the time in normals, mechanics aren't a problem, but if they are, just ask and hopefully someone can explain.

Typically, I don't care how new someone is to Group Dungeons as long as they are willing to learn the mechanics when needed. But I'm also going to be blunt and point out that when people aren't prepared to meet their role requirements like I listed above, its pretty obvious to experienced players.

A DD who's spamming Snipe when facing a mob of 6 enemies has either not thought very much about how to fight multiple adds or just isn't trying. A truly new or inexperienced player who asks for help will get advice like "Try Endless Hail instead".

Same thing with tanks. Every group I've been in with a new tank has fallen over themselves to offer helpful tips about mechanics when the tank asked. But a fake tank who refuses to equip a taunt when asked usually gets kicked.

So I'm sorry you feel like our attitude is a reason to avoid group content. I've been fortunate to run with lots of groups who were welcoming and helpful to inexperienced players who were willing to learn.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why leveling alts from 1-50 at dolmens and then expecting to be gifted all the skill points in the game because they should be account-wide isn't a good idea...
    Edited by Tandor on December 1, 2018 12:11AM
  • G1Countdown
    G1Countdown
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 6 characters that are exactly as you described. I just leveled them enough to unlock enough skills for writs. And, maybe one bar of combat skills that I didn't think enough about.
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume they're pvp players who don't do pve at all, but just want free stuff from the event.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • Hoolielulu
    Hoolielulu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Good example as to why I don't want to do group dungeons either. And it's so easy to level up that the question is weird to me.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the character is weak/squishy it might well be an alt. If the character plays poorly though it is probably not an alt. Presumably a player running alts through content has at least one decent 'main' and should be able to apply their 'player skill' on an alt to at least keep them out of red and perhaps near the healer.

When I see an 810 playing poorly or like a newb I assume they earned most of their cp riding the desert dolmen train. . . .

I pug non-dlc dungeons somewhat regularly on my healer because she likes having to respond to the unknown/unexpected things she faces with a pug of strangers with no voice comm. She's certainly encountered some odd things - even frustrating sometimes - but, on balance, pugging has been a positive experience.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, that's what I do with my mule.
    You pretty much use up all the skill point from leveling for maxing every crafting skill. In order to be something decent as a role in group, you will need to hunt all skyshard in a complete alliance area, which take time.
    I did that for some of my toon but not all. So I choose to be healer and only queue in normal. Healer queue is still fast and healing in normal is easy. Healing spring, Mutagen, Combat prayer, and Energy orb is all I needed. Not having ESO+ help too.