The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What do you guys think of the boundless storm change?

• Kova
    Kova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to respond from a non combat perspective.

I feel that abilities are being changed that actively disrupt the fun aspects of the game for the sake of...something??

Not many used boundless storm for combat. We used it because it was fun to go fast and be a lightning god. That's really my only complaint with the last year of "progress" on the game. They're taking features away. Features that gave you a small feeling of satisfaction when not doing content.

Look at breath of the wild, a relatively simple game in terms of combat and skill to play. The fun of the game came from being able climb walls, glide, and air drop physical force on the world around you. Small features that made people wander the fields of hyrule for hours just trying to screw with the mechanics of the game.

ESO has actively removed what small trace of this philosophy it had from it's design, and it's probably never coming back.

EP Sorc: Aydinn
    AD Stamplar: Verdant`Knight
    DC Stamblade: Apple`Punch
    EP Stam Sorc: Kós
    AD DragonKnight: Transmigrant
    EP NIghtblade: Aydinn
  • Dreyloch
    Dreyloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iCaliban wrote: »
    Sounds like I’m one of the few people that actually uses this skill on live. The resistances are nice because it means you can get away with shielding less frequently, and for fights where you are stacked on the boss it does decent damage over its duration (like assembly general). For the speed boost, it is comparable to Channeled Acceleration without the 2s of self snare. Therefore it worked much better for fights that require moving to a new position when the enemy moves out of range (like interruptor in vAS or when Z’Maja moves across the room). The new duration is a little short for these cases, but will still be better than CA because it doesn’t have a cast time. I don’t like the change, since the skill was certainly not overperforming, but I don’t think it will significantly change its use in PVE. I would still prefer something in between, like maybe 6s as a compromise.

Ive used it on live for about a year for my pvp sorc. I dont understand how people said it was trash, the resists it gives are invaluable to avoid death while bursting someone down on a crowded battlefield.

The speed nerf hurts and isnt needed. Stam sorc uses hurricane which wasnt nerfed, mag sorcs need the mobility.

Heavy armor mobility (and some medium) was the issue when it came to speed. Not light armor. Blanket nerfs to classes/skills/builds dont need it just seem out of touch to me.

Most of the people saying it's a bad skill are PvE'rs imo. I also find it invaluable in PvP. A small burst of run speed, then port away out of danger. The damage componant has been total garbage for...2 years? I think? Anyway, the loss of time on the speed part does hurt a bit. Unrelated thought though...Stam is looking to be the norm for PvP again this patch. Which really sucks. Because of the 5 PvP toons I have, only one is stam, and not a NB =((
    "The fear of Death, is often worse than death itself"
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they should double the damage and make it 8 meter radius to make up for the expedition nerf. 2000 DPS would actually be enough damage to be useful, and 8 meter radius would make it good for exposing cloakers.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they should double the damage and make it 8 meter radius to make up for the expedition nerf. 2000 DPS would actually be enough damage to be useful, and 8 meter radius would make it good for exposing cloakers.

Agree with this. Now that shields have been nerfed so much, Boundless Storm is starting to look more appealing, and more damage would really give it some utility.
  • NyxWrench
    NyxWrench
    ✭✭✭
    From the perspective of a PVE soloer, the only time the speed boost was of any relevance was in delves. Though it's also useful in random dungeon pickups where the rest of the group is speeding away faster than you can normally run (and can't keep up with using sprint because LOL stamina).

If I'm in an overland area, I'd use the gallop ability with my mount. If I'm in a dungeon, I can't go rushing forward into possible enemy swarms, because I need to be fully buffed up before each fight in order to survive. But for delves (and some indoor quest areas), there's both no real risk, and it's impractical to use the gallop ability (partly because of bar space, and partly because of stamina cost; I usually use a completely different gear set for running around, which gives me more stamina, but can't do that when there's risk of combat). So Boundless was a decent compromise to get through a bit faster, but now it's short enough that I'm barely aware that I'm moving faster before it runs out.

It's gone from having three traits to two, effectively. I still find the defense to be pretty useful. The damage is pitiful, but better than nothing, and I'm going to have it up anyway for the defense. And the speed boost has gone from situationally useful to completely irrelevant. I can't think of any situation where it would ever be useful to me now.
  • Leocaran
    Leocaran
    ✭✭✭
    NyxWrench wrote: »
    It's gone from having three traits to two, effectively. I still find the defense to be pretty useful. The damage is pitiful, but better than nothing, and I'm going to have it up anyway for the defense.
    Yes, this is a thing that I don't understand. Why people almost always ignore resistances the skill gives (and for about 20 s). I could understand the argument that it's too little for the skill to be useful while there are too little skill slots. But still, does light armor has resistances in abundance to ignore sole (?) Sorc skill which gives them?
    Edited by Leocaran on October 31, 2018 2:54PM
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leocaran wrote: »
    It's gone from having three traits to two, effectively. I still find the defense to be pretty useful. The damage is pitiful, but better than nothing, and I'm going to have it up anyway for the defense.
    Yes, this is a thing that I don't understand. Why people almost always ignore resistances the skill gives (and for about 20 s). I could understand the argument that it's too little for the skill to be useful while there are too little skill slots. But still, does light armor has resistances in abundance to ignore sole (?) Sorc skill which gives them?

I don't think anyone is ignoring it - I mean, its the main reason anyone slots it nowadays. But compared to other class abilities that provide that same buff, its bloody expensive, and the other stuff you get with it is weak in comparison.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leocaran wrote: »

It has it's benefits. But still, do sorcs have overloaded skills and bar space in abundance to happily slot a dirty expensive skill that does nothing really well but giving some resistance (and with well I mean better than the rest it does but far worse than other skills that grant the same buffs)?
  • Leocaran
    Leocaran
    ✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is ignoring it - I mean, its the main reason anyone slots it nowadays. But compared to other class abilities that provide that same buff, its bloody expensive, and the other stuff you get with it is weak in comparison.
    Thanks, now it's more clear.