The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

NB Cloak: 4 Second Cooldown

• xAk_MoRRoWiNdx
    xAk_MoRRoWiNdx
    ✭✭✭
    No
    How to absolutely demolish the Nightblade class in one move:
    New to forums and stuff so I 99.9 percent probably won't see your response and such, so use the at symbol at me I guess? IDK :/. This BBCode stuff is really cool!! :D.
    Gamer from Alaska (907 Gamers, Alaskan Gamers Unite!).
    My little rant I guess?:
      One day Nightblades will get the buffs we desperately need and deserve, but so far, those buffs are not today.. The Elder Scrolls Online: Nightblade Nerfs Unlimited.
      Don't nerf you, don't nerf me, nerf the sorc behind the tree!.

If you need help or advice, hit me up on Xbox: H4rry Poggers :D .
      Also open to talking on Discord!

Ich kann Deutsch Sprechen bei der mittleren/zwischen Kenntnissen Ebene. Hallo! :D.

CP level 1000+! Playing since 2015.

My wishlist I suppose:
      • PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEAAASSSEEE EITHER BUFF SIPHONING STRIKES OR REVERT IT BACK TO PRE MORROWIND!!.
      • Bring back purge cloak. But I guess the new heal cloak is more beneficial. Hmmm....
      • MAKE IMPERIAL CITY GREAT AGAIN, BRING BACK THOSE INCREDIBLE DAYS. My best experiences in ESO where in there!
      • Return Stam builds to the power we held in One Tamriel. Long Live Stamina builds!
      • Put Magplar and MagDK into their place. Magpsorc is a hopeless case.
      • Is there any chance that we could get an Ebonheart Pact nerf? #CullingTheHerds .

My 10 characters:
      • AD - xak-Morrowindx - Khajiit Stamina Nightblade. Hours: 107 days, 19 hours (2,568 hours).
      • EP - Ich bin Groot - Orc Stamina Dragonknight. Hours: 2 days, 16 hours (64 hours).
      • DC - Who Took My Bleach - Orc Stamina Sorcerer. Hours: 3 days, 18 hours. (90 hours).
      • EP - Niada Zaennon - High Elf Magicka Nightblade. Hours: 15 days, 18 hours (378 hours).
      • AD - Healsyournoobazzwithmemes - Argonian Magicka Templar. Hours: 1 day, 9 hours (33 hours)
      • DC - Engulfing Traps - Dark Elf Magicka Dragonknight. Hours: 7 days, 17 hours (129 hours).
      • AD - Verführung - High Elf Magicka Sorcerer. Hours: 5 days, 9 hours (129 hours)
      • DC - Deadazz catch these birds - Nord Stamina Warden. Hours: 6 days, 21 hours (165 hours)
      • EP - So Bendy - Wood Elf Stamina Templar. Hours: 1 day, 15 hours (39 hours)
      • EP - Smash that mf Like button - Breton Magicka Warden. Hours: 20 hours, 20 minutes.

Aldmeri Dominion Master-Faction!
    • Wolfpaw
      Wolfpaw
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Yes
      Stealth should be tied to a few skills, not a 75%+ uptime spam in a fight. GW2 Thief is a great example of how the Rogue archetype should work.
    • Skoomah
      Skoomah
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Yes
      Cloak spamming is a thing. The meta is swift jewelry to ensure all aoe and detection type spells and potions will never catch the nightblade. They go stealth and simply get out of range no problem. And instead of killing you in one burst combo, they need maybe 1.5 rounds of burst instead. And now with the reduction to snares and immobilizes in terms of length of time, good luck trying to lock down and apply burst damage onto a Nightblade. Where’s the counterplay?

I see every other post in this thread with a Nightblade basically admitting that cloak is overperforming and asking for an alternative change to the proposal.

Not everyone in Cyrodiil wants to play a Stam Nightblade or Mag Sorc. Two of the classes in the game that are the strongest glass cannons also have the strongest options for mitigation (cloak and shields spamming).

I’ve done a ton of pvp. The best fights involve back and forth like playing chess. Offensive rotation into a defensive rotation, back and forth. After a while it’s not fun just creaming the opponents. That’s playing checkers instead of chess. The sport of pvp is best when all classes are not only viable but also competitive.
      Edited by Skoomah on August 20, 2018 10:35PM
    • LegendaryMage
      LegendaryMage
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I like the suggestion of not being able to use it for the remaining duration if broken via damage, that helps minimize cloak spam and there's also always the possibility of cost increase as with streak.

I spam it on my stamblade all the time, it's definitely way better and powerful than streak. Not to mention that it buffs up my resistances and guarantees I crit on the next hard hitter. I imagine it will be even better once I slap on some swift action on it.
    • Phiathornsyldol
      Phiathornsyldol
      ✭✭✭
      No
      If it's gonna happen, I will delete the game
    • Jake1576
      Jake1576
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      Heck no
    • Gothrock
      Gothrock
      ✭✭✭
      No
      Yes
      Right after 4 sec cd for shields, blocking and roll dodging
    • IAVITNI
      IAVITNI
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      Increase duration of Cloak to 4.5 seconds. Every time you cast Cloak you gain up to 2 stacks of [insert name] that decrease the duration of Cloak for 2 seconds. These stacks last 6 seconds and do not refresh but every stack past 2 replaces the oldest stack.

That's 10 seconds of unbroken Cloak (4) chaining or a 1.5 second window of vulnerability to avoid penalty at 0 stack. Current duration of chaining Cloak 4 times is 11.6 seconds. Magicka spent remains the same, so only area that requires changes would be in front of the keyboard
      Calculations get funky after 4 casts because stacks start to replace each other at that point.

Ex.
      If you weave attacks in between Cloaks, so Cloak>SA>Cloak, you need to wait 3 seconds before the first Cloak stack drops off. However the current Cloak (1 stack) has a 2.5 second duration, so waiting out the duration will allow you to perform another SA into a 1 stack Cloak. 1 stack would be the sweet spot where the good nightblades will hover.

So say you are balancing a 1 stack Cloak.
      • Breaking Cloak immediately requires 5 seconds of pressure. This would only be done when you go full offensive (Fear>Incap>SA>Merciless etc). By the time this is done, the first stack will drop off and the next Cloak you cast will be a 1 stack, with a 2.5 second duration
      • Waiting in Cloak requires a minimum of 3.5 seconds of pressure or defensive play. Vigor>Fear>Dodgeroll>LoS etc. Can buy you that time.

This greatly reduces the amount of favorable offensive windows a Cloakblade has by requiring them to apply REAL pressure in order to gain time for Cloak stacks to drop. It also rewards smart play, because the more the nightblade stays on the offensive, the more times they can spam a 0 stack into a 1 stack Cloak. Players can no longer LA Cloak spam until Incap is up indefinitely. However, the upside is that you can still force miss single target attacks, at no extra costs. Cloak becomes an on demand Shuffle after 2 stacks.

Slight buff to smart Cloak play, slight nerf (1.6 seconds) to defensive Cloak spam, huge nerf to offensive Cloak spam.

An argument can be made be decreasing stack duration by 3 or simply removing it entirely when Cloak is broken. Either way, this proposal is better than the current iteration and less punishing than a cooldown, fatigue cost or flat cost increase.
    • kind_hero
      kind_hero
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      Someone had some bad time in PvP against nightblades...

Sad nerf request

Cloak is pretty short and easy to counter with other spells or attacks. I really see no issue here. Maybe you also want that when NB uses cloak to become stunned for 5 seconds and get a Sload pearl debuff after the effect ends?

This is the trademark ability of the nightblade, the reason many people like me chose to create a stealthy character. It is so fun to use in the game world, when doing nightbladeish things, like stealing or db contracts.

Also adding cooldowns on abilities, like in WoW or other MMOs, means changing the game a lot. Even the most powerful abilities have no cooldown, but rather a combat pace timer = ultimate points.
      Edited by kind_hero on August 24, 2018 6:51AM
      [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
    • Skoomah
      Skoomah
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Yes
      Cloak should still be in the game but it needs to be toned down.
    • usmguy1234
      usmguy1234
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      Typical fight with a nightblade. For those that are going to say "but the nightblade doesn't do that much damage." I've been watching this streamer for 2 years and he consistently 1vxs on multiple classes and would be considered above average at the very least.

https://youtu.be/b9wsj7_51I0l
      Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
      Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
      Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
      Eirius- Altmer Magdk
      Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Skoomah
      Skoomah
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Yes
      Yup. Why do think Cyrodiil is empty? Not everyone wants to play a Nightblade. Eso can barely fill up one pvp server now, and BGs are empty too. Imbalanced gameplay is driving people away. It’s extremely frustrating to fight against the cloak mechanic. Cloak doesn’t show up on death recaps so it doesn’t show up in the “data analytics” as something people died to, which is why it has flown under the radar.
      Edited by Skoomah on August 24, 2018 5:32PM
    • Brrrofski
      Brrrofski
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      No
      Galarthor wrote: »
      It's about time Cloak gets the Streak treatment.

At least streak only serves as a gap opener, not also as a powerful mitigation tool like Cloak does.

I just think streak need to have the penalty removed to be honest.
    • knighting68
      knighting68
      ✭✭
      No
      I for one am sick of people getting upset because others don't play the game the way they want them to play. This game is about give-and-take, meaning you can't have all abilities at one time. If you have a recurring problem with NBs in PvP then you need adjust your play-style and abilities to counter them, not the other way around. But players don't want to mess with their "perfect" build, right? The same goes for NBs who have issues with DK tanks and shield stacking Sorcs (who have just as high burst damage capabilities), perhaps giving up some weapon damage in exchange for more penetration and resistance or swapping out abilities.

I'm just coming back after a year off of ESO but let me tell you, no matter what class I'm playing, every time I'm in PvP someone ends up messaging me with "you're trash because you're in the middle of a zerg" or "you're trash because you're friend helped you" or "you're trash because your solo and have a proc set". No matter what some people will complain when they die. IMO it's not so much the classes that need change but the toxic player mindset. I personally know 12 others who quit ESO because of the PvP community, not the game or class balance.
    • RaptorRodeoGod
      RaptorRodeoGod
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      Honestly I don't want any changes to cloak, my StamSorc is just bitter about the increased cost on consecutive Bolt Escapes.
      Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
      ---
      Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
    • thankyourat
      thankyourat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      usmguy1234 wrote: »
      Typical fight with a nightblade. For those that are going to say "but the nightblade doesn't do that much damage." I've been watching this streamer for 2 years and he consistently 1vxs on multiple classes and would be considered above average at the very least.

Where is his detect pots. a couple things he could do honestly he could use duel weild and steel tornado or he could have detect pots. I'm not going to sit here and say Cloak can't get stupid to fight against when you fight bad nightblades like the ones he is fighting but it's the same against mag sorcs and mag Templars as well. Yesterday I fought a mag sorc who wasn't even fighting back he was just cycling shields and I new harness Magicka was keeping his Magicka pool topped off. There is no way I can kill that player even though my skill level is way higher than his. I agree Cloak needs a rework (or sustain needs to be nerfed) but so does defensive abilities in general. I have DKs flap wings in my face and I'm 100% countered. Defense in this game is out of control in general
    • LegendaryMage
      LegendaryMage
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      See the DK would have dealt with cloak much easier if he had the other morph of armor (the dmg shield one is useless in PVP and can even cost you some nice HP against someone with shield breaker), he already has camo slotted and he's missing noxious breath which he can easily spam to take the NB out of cloak.

Not to mention the lack of detection potions and a reliable stun like reverb or fossilize. Even draining shot would work since he has a bow. Relying on dizzying to provide you with a reliable CC is a no-no.

So it's a little bit of l2p and l2build issues on the DK's end too, it's not just the NB.
      Edited by LegendaryMage on August 28, 2018 8:00PM
    • MISTRESS_DARKNESb14a_ESO
      No
      Maybe if your pvp but in the game we need all we have to play nerfing us because your getting owned in pvp is very unfair for those of us that do not pvp...We do like to run around have fun in the actual game...Stop screaming nerf because your getting owned in pvp.
    • Lord_Eomer
      Lord_Eomer
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      No
      This will damage cloak skill and NB in PVP!

Indeed stupid idea!
    • Nicko_Lps
      Nicko_Lps
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      Nightblades is the class chosen by most players in this game. The 4sec cooldown is not much, it actually needs more than that + impale nerf + assassins will nerf. Add an atleast 10sec cooldown to teleport or give it the same treatment as streak cost increase.

But what did you expect? The cast majority will choose to stay OP in this topic/vote lol
    • Malacthulhu
      Malacthulhu
      ✭✭✭✭
      No
      You shouldn't balance (nerf) an ability that has not worked properly since release. This is obvious as the rework of the other morph was just turned into a hot. It needs to be fixed before it gets "balanced".
      Xbox One Na
    • leepalmer95
      leepalmer95
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      Nicko_Lps wrote: »
      Nightblades is the class chosen by most players in this game. The 4sec cooldown is not much, it actually needs more than that + impale nerf + assassins will nerf. Add an atleast 10sec cooldown to teleport or give it the same treatment as streak cost increase.

But what did you expect? The cast majority will choose to stay OP in this topic/vote lol

The cast majority have no idea how to balance the game because they can barely play the game and have like 2 characters.

Nb is popular because its a class even complete noobs and overall bad pvp'ers can become somewhat effective with combined with snipe.
      PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
    • idk
      idk
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      Feanor wrote: »
      idk wrote: »
      Beardimus wrote: »
      Needs something, nothing too drastic tho. Maybe not a cool down, but stacking cost streak treatment.

There really isn’t a counter to streak where as there are several counters to NBs stealth. So incresding the cost for each use is not appropriate.

Tell me that again when I’m stuck in combat and the zerg just mounts up.

Scratches head wondering how this is relevant because it’s not.
    • Dojohoda
      Dojohoda
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      No
      Cloak is easily broken.
      Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
      Might be joking in comments.
      -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
    • leepalmer95
      leepalmer95
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      usmguy1234 wrote: »

No who the streamer is, but..

He never attempted to break cloak with noxious.
      Or did he with volatile instead he has the useless other morph.

He's running a 2h/bow build and dizzying is bad skill to use against and half decent player, it's too easy to roll it, walk through it or just block it.

If he was on a better build such as 2h/dw and applied 2 or 3 dots that spammed steel tornado then leaped it's an easy kill.
      PS4 EU DC

• Freddycruz89
      Freddycruz89
      ✭✭✭
      Yes
      idk wrote: »
      It is clearly not a fair middle ground OP suggests.

To put this into perspective, will be put the same 4 second CD on dodge roll, evasion use, shields and heals? I could list more but I expect that puts things into perspective that OPs idea would make PvP into a silly one dimensional who can do the most damage in 3 seconds.

No thanks.

Isn't that what it already is tho?

Octavius Maximus, Founder of The Maester' Order
      PS4 NA. Role Player. Housing Fanatic. Part Time Achievement Hunter.
      | Princely Dawnlight Palace |
    • DuskMarine
      DuskMarine
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      Astrid_V wrote: »
      No. That's our main defense, which can be already broken in many different ways.

thats not your main defense you guys have an ability that gives you evasion and resistances. plus your defense is the ability to nuke people you shouldnt have to spam cloak all the time.
    • leepalmer95
      leepalmer95
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      DuskMarine wrote: »
      No. That's our main defense, which can be already broken in many different ways.

thats not your main defense you guys have an ability that gives you evasion and resistances. plus your defense is the ability to nuke people you shouldnt have to spam cloak all the time.

It is a nb's main defence. And it can be broken by numerous things.

Slot an aoe.
      PS4 EU DC

• DuskMarine
      DuskMarine
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      DuskMarine wrote: »

It is a nb's main defence. And it can be broken by numerous things.

Slot an aoe.

its not a nightblades main defense i find better defense out of other abilities. like evasion being broken you can use shuffle or like i said your nightblade ability that gives resistances and evasion. truly nightblades never needed cloak. you can do just as good without it.
    • Malacthulhu
      Malacthulhu
      ✭✭✭✭
      No
      Well in regards to streak and cloak a cool down or cost increase after consecutively using them is an unattractive solution as there is no middle ground. Their effectiveness should be reduced if used back to back, so with streak it would be distance and with cloak it should be 6 seconds and reduced cloak time the more you spam it to a low of 2 seconds. People should be able to spam an ability but not to its full function each time instead of at the cost of sustain or cooldowns, also allows for more aggressiveness in play style. Spamming already has a sustain penalty on its own. That being said, should they also be able to crit and get extra distance an duration or something neat?
      Edited by Malacthulhu on September 6, 2018 3:56AM
      Xbox One Na