Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PTS Update 19 - Feedback Thread for Jewelry Crafting Master Writs.

• Havoc1971
    Havoc1971
    Soul Shriven
    Havoc1971 wrote: »
    Is this change to the platings confirmed for the final release or was it just to allow the Jewelry Master writs to be tested on the PTS?

Never mind
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just pulled a legendary jewelry master writ for 141 vouchers. While this may be more than it was in the past, it's still about 20-25% of the value it should be. In my experience legendary blacksmithing writs are usually between 100-130 vouchers, and tempering alloys are much more common.

Chromium plating is currently about ten times the price of tempering alloy. It now takes half the amount of gold mats to upgrade jewelry as blacksmithing. So Jewelry writs should give about five times the number of vouchers as legendary blacksmithing writs.

This is like getting a legendary blacksmithing writ for 25-30 vouchers. There is no way this is worth it.

Please raise the floor of the range of writ vouchers for jewelry writs substantially to reflect that upgrading a jewelry piece to gold is approximately five times as expensive as upgrading a blacksmithing piece. A range of 110-ish to almost 500 for a legendary jewelry writ is insane, given that the cost of upgrade mats stays the same (and incredibly high) across all of them.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    I just pulled a legendary jewelry master writ for 141 vouchers. While this may be more than it was in the past, it's still about 20-25% of the value it should be. In my experience legendary blacksmithing writs are usually between 100-130 vouchers, and tempering alloys are much more common.

Chromium plating is currently about ten times the price of tempering alloy. It now takes half the amount of gold mats to upgrade jewelry as blacksmithing. So Jewelry writs should give about five times the number of vouchers as legendary blacksmithing writs.

This is like getting a legendary blacksmithing writ for 25-30 vouchers. There is no way this is worth it.

Please raise the floor of the range of writ vouchers for jewelry writs substantially to reflect that upgrading a jewelry piece to gold is approximately five times as expensive as upgrading a blacksmithing piece. A range of 110-ish to almost 500 for a legendary jewelry writ is insane, given that the cost of upgrade mats stays the same (and incredibly high) across all of them.

Please remember that you will get chromium grains only (from handing in dailies) ... as of this update (yesterday). Adding to it, more material is available from nodes (blacksmithing nodes). And finally you will only need 50% of the upgrade materials, again as of yesterday. I believe one should allow the markets to adept to the new situation first, before comparing. ;)
    Edited by Elsterchen on August 14, 2018 7:16AM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsterchen wrote: »
    virtus753 wrote: »

Please remember that you will get chromium grains only (from handing in dailies) ... as of this update (yesterday). Adding to it, more material is available from nodes (blacksmithing nodes). And finally you will only need 50% of the upgrade materials, again as of yesterday. I believe one should allow the markets to adept to the new situation first, before comparing. ;)

Pretty much this. I mean, personally I am never going to bother with jewelrycrafting master writs, I'll just try and get rid of them for gold, no matter how many vouchers they offer.

But, we did get a significant boost to Chromium grain drops as well as more jewelry raw mats to refine, so, I expect the price for Chromium to drop significantly in the coming time.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsterchen wrote: »

I already accounted for the halving of upgrade requirements in my math: jewelry platings are 10x harder to come by (because 10 grains per plating) multiplied by 1/2 (because 4 chromium platings instead of 8 tempering alloys) = 5x the cost. A 141-voucher writ is therefore currently the equivalent of a 28-voucher legendary blacksmithing writ.

Blacksmithing nodes only drop 1-2 dust. I can't see that having a marked impact on the market. Not with the terrible refining rate. Since the patch my chromium grain drop rate from refining is less than one in 300 platinum dust. I have gotten no chromium grains on any toons, and I have 12 toons at various jewelry ranks. It doesn't look promising. Even if we do see an increase in the drop rate of chromium grains, it will not be substantial enough to put current jewelry master writs anywhere in the neighborhood of blacksmithing writs.

Again, here's the math: for a jewelry writ to cost the same to make as a blacksmithing writ, the total upgrade mat cost would have to be the same. That means chromium grains would have to drop 5 times as frequently as alloys to expect to see market equivalence. Jewelry writs would cost twice as much to do as blacksmithing writs (and I can see 70 vouchers being a low end for blacksmithing writs) if grains dropped 2.5 times as frequently as tempering alloy. On top of that, you would *also* have to remove the incredibly high demand for jewelry upgrade mats: a lot of people have years' worth of purple jewelry stockpiled to upgrade, whereas blacksmithing pieces see far less demand by comparison because the ability to upgrade to gold has been around for so much longer.

Demand will not be lowered for quite some time yet. And we will not see gold jewelry mats drop with comparable frequency to blacksmithing mats because that is explicitly contradictory to the way the system was designed. The devs have already said that this grain system is meant to be a barrier to jewelrycrafting. They have said that jewelrycrafting (and upgrading) should be substantially more cost-intensive than any other crafting line. Hence the grain system, and hence why jewelry mats will never be the same price as their blacksmithing equivalents. That cost, combined with the extreme demand for jewelry mats, means that jewelry master writs will never be as cheap to make as blacksmithing writs if their voucher values are equal.

At any rate, I agree the price of chromium plating will drop. But I can't see it dropping substantially. Part of that is sheer demand; part of it is the explicit intention of the developers in implementing the grain system precisely to prevent equivalency between jewelrycrafting and the other crafting lines. If for the sake of argument we took a 141-voucher jewelry writ to be the equivalent of a 70-voucher blacksmithing writ (i.e. towards the low end), then chromium plating would need to be only 4 times as expensive as tempering alloy as opposed to the 10 times it currently is. I'll believe it when I see it.

(Math: For one jewelrycrafting voucher to be worth the same as one blacksmithing voucher, the 141- voucher jewelry crafting writ would need to cost only twice as much to make as the putative 70-voucher blacksmithing writ. 4 chromium platings would therefore need to cost twice as much as 8 tempering alloys --> 1 chromium plating would need to cost twice as much as 2 tempering alloys --> 1 chromium plating would need to cost the same as 4 tempering alloys.)
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    omfg, just lose the plating grains and give us at least 10 times more platings already.

There's no point in increacing the reward if we don't have the palatings to complete them
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • Ajaxcat
    Ajaxcat
    ✭✭
    I'd be happy with more zircon personally.