The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

NB Cloak: 4 Second Cooldown

Skoomah
Skoomah
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I think this is a fair middle ground. Nightblades can still cloak but they can no longer spam cloak. Add a 4 second cooldown.

NB Cloak: 4 Second Cooldown 358 votes

Yes
21%
Nicko_LpsStillianWolfpawKh0llAhPook_Is_HereDimentiy47SkoomahArtemiisiammtaniacKanarRagnaroek93MojomonkeymanNolaArchGalalinBfish22090LumsdenmlEmma_Overloadsix2falltemplesusSleep724 77 votes
No
78%
ZelosCavalryPKrfennell_ESOSolarikenGilvothLegacyDMDeadlyRecluseWillardMISTRESS_DARKNESb14a_ESOkadarArobainSigtricJsmallsValorxxantiheroxx83b14_ESOKayshaAsaredmoutonSpringt-Über-ZwergeMady 281 votes
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    No. That's our main defense, which can be already broken in many different ways.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Nah it stops the ability for get aways even when not countered and makes the ability that much worse to use in combat. That'd mean 1s downtime in which you would be caught out and could get bursted or prevented from cloaking further

If there was some shorter cooldown on restealth or something it'd be more fair, but directly worsening its use is a no. Take streak for example, that was a bad idea and this is a more extreme version since it halts it completely. Cloak is relied on more as a main defense too, so Its like a 1s cooldown on shields.
    Edited by ak_pvp on August 12, 2018 8:01PM
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • huschdeguddzje
    huschdeguddzje
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Only if you increase the duration by a considerable amount
  • AllPlayAndNoWork
    AllPlayAndNoWork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Just no.
  • Dracan_Fontom
    Dracan_Fontom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Make one 1 skill have a cooldown. Make all skills have cooldowns.
  • RedRook
    RedRook
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    ak_pvp wrote: »
    Nah it stops the ability for get aways even when not countered and makes the ability that much worse to use in combat. That'd mean 1s downtime in which you would be caught out and could get bursted or prevented from cloaking further

If there was some shorter cooldown on restealth or something it'd be more fair, but directly worsening its use is a no. Take streak for example, that was a bad idea and this is a more extreme version since it halts it completely. Cloak is relied on more as a main defense too, so Its like a 1s cooldown on shields.

I've actually seen THAT suggested on this forum too, that you not be able to recast your shield until it expires.

I guess what people want is for everybody else to run up to them and then stand still so they can kill them. Or everybody just play one class? :eyeroll:
  • AEAltadoonPadhome
    AEAltadoonPadhome
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No cooldown. But maybe a cost increase if you spam it, just like bolt escape and dodge roll. Getting out once is fine, but cloaking 5 times in a row is just annoying if you didnt manage to break it immediately.
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It's about time Cloak gets the Streak treatment.

At least streak only serves as a gap opener, not also as a powerful mitigation tool like Cloak does.

• Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Galarthor wrote: »

At least streak only serves as a gap opener, not also as a powerful mitigation tool like Cloak does.

Yes but streak is 100% guaranteed skill, cloak on the other hand can be broken by many things so you can use it 5 times in a row and you still in a bad spot. Make cloak unbreakable, remove all detection methods and then ok cloak can get the treatment of streak.
    Edited by Mayrael on August 12, 2018 9:04PM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    It should only get a cooldown if you didn't manage to break it imo.
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    It should only get a cooldown if you didn't manage to break it imo.

Reasons? If I fail to stun you should you be punished anyway by not letting you roll dodge?
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Yes but streak is 100% guaranteed skill, cloak on the other hand can be broken by many things so you can use it 5 times in a row and you still in a bad spot. Make cloak unbreakable, remove all detection methods and then ok cloak can get the treatment of streak.

But streak can be countered by any gap closer in the game. Something that every melee class usually has in their build. So there is no additional cost to countering streak. To counter Cloak on the other hand you need to slot specific abilities or potions, which generates considerable opportunity costs. And Streak does not mitigate damage. Plus you can clearly trace where the streaking sorc is going and follow him. You can't do the same with cloaked NB.

Therefore, I think that it is a fair trade-off. What's not balanced is that it can be spammed non-stop.

If you make cloak 100% guaranteed by removing any counters than this problem or imbalance will just be amplified.
    Edited by Galarthor on August 12, 2018 9:23PM
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Every damage mitigation mechanic in the game can be spammed, and Cloak is the only one that can get removed by a random AOE that gets sneezed out. It is also the only damage mit. in the game that disallows offense for it's duration. You can do damage (or anything) while you heal, shield, block, ect. It's the only mit. in the game that you can be locked out of using by a simple potion.

Sure let's do the compare thing. Another class defining mitigation mechanic: Hardened Ward. Now, you have a 4 second CD after use. Let's not forget that we can already on live, remove your shield with a specific damage type, use any number of abilities that remove your shield, AND prevent you from casting your shield for 12 seconds by standing near you with a potion.

...oh wait that's cloak on live, nvm end comparison...

#copypaste
  • TerraDewBerry
    TerraDewBerry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No.. just no! So many things can break cloak..
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Every damage mitigation mechanic in the game can be spammed, and Cloak is the only one that can get removed by a random AOE that gets sneezed out. It is also the only damage mit. in the game that disallows offense for it's duration. You can do damage (or anything) while you heal, shield, block, ect. It's the only mit. in the game that you can be locked out of using by a simple potion.

Sure let's do the compare thing. Another class defining mitigation mechanic: Hardened Ward. Now, you have a 4 second CD after use. Let's not forget that we can already on live, remove your shield with a specific damage type, use any number of abilities that remove your shield, AND prevent you from casting your shield for 12 seconds by standing near you with a potion.

...oh wait that's cloak on live, nvm end comparison...

#copypaste

But Hardened Ward is a pure damage mitigation tool almost identical to heals and limited in its mitigation capacity by the shieeld strength

Cloak on the other hand is a mitigation tool combined with a gap opener. The mitigation component is fat more powerful since it is relative based on 100%. The downside to it can be broken by AoE attacks. However, these AoE attacks have to find you first. That's a fair trade-off. The fact that you cannot attack is offset by the fact that you also cannot be attacked. Again, a fair trade-off. In addition, this allows you to choose the place and time you attack again. Allowing you to choose the best moment - e.g. stun sorc when shields run out or attack when enemy drops block. You automatically force your opponent on the defensive. And you get a guaranteed crit for your next burst combo.

The mitigation part of cloak isn't the issue. The gap opening part is. Especially when you pair it with the Shade, which pretty much guarantees a successful escape.

As for the detection potion: How would you feel if you could only attack a sorc every 45 sec for 15 sec and only after you drank a certain potion. I don't think you would like that.

Don't get me wrong. I recognize the importance of the mitigation of cloak, and that should remain untouched if possible.
    So a solution would be to make cloaking after port to the shade impossible for a short duration and have cost increase if cast again within 4 sec and not attacking the target again. That way the mitigation function remains untouched, but the OP gap opening function is nerfed.
    Edited by Galarthor on August 12, 2018 9:36PM
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Lol...glad you aren't in charge of decision making.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No

Streak also has a CC component to it unlike cloak.
    Edited by Silver_Strider on August 12, 2018 9:37PM
    Argonian forever
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

True that, which works wonders when the enemy is behind you b/c you are running away from them - i.e. try to open a gap.

Streak and Cloak would be more comparable if streak also negated all single target damage (which includes gap closers).

Again, I don't want to nerf the mitigation part. That would break magblades.

Alternatively, you could remove the cost increase from streak. That would bring the 2 abilities closer together in terms of gap opening performance.
    Edited by Galarthor on August 12, 2018 9:45PM
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

True that, which works wonders when the enemy is behind you b/c you are running away from them - i.e. try to open a gap.

Streak and Cloak would be more comparable if streak also negated all single target damage (which includes gap closers).

Again, I don't want to nerf the mitigation part. That would break magblades.

Alternatively, you could remove the cost increase from streak. That would bring the 2 abilities closer together in terms of gap opening performance.

Streak is not for opening gaps. It's for re-positioning. Hence, the offensive mechanic.
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The same arguement can be made for Cloak. And then 1 or 2 cloaks in a row should suffice. And in such a case the increased cost will be barely felt.

Streak is a very weird repositioning tool though, as it has you face away from your opponent. Thus making you vulnerable.
  • Mr_Wolfe
    Mr_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Cloak doesn't need a nerf. There are plenty of ways to counter it as is. You don't see any abilities that prevent you from healing or using shields for 3+ seconds, but there's half a dozen ways to do that to a cloak user already.

Streak deals AOE damage and stuns everyone it hits. Ball Lightning has an AOE stun and absorbs spell projectiles.

If cloak had an area stun and no counters that prevent you from using it, a cooldown might be warranted.
    Edited by Mr_Wolfe on August 12, 2018 9:52PM
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Finaly a thread showing all the NB mains xD
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Or alternatively: remove the ability altogether
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

But streak can be countered by any gap closer in the game. Something that every melee class usually has in their build. So there is no additional cost to countering streak. To counter Cloak on the other hand you need to slot specific abilities or potions, which generates considerable opportunity costs. And Streak does not mitigate damage. Plus you can clearly trace where the streaking sorc is going and follow him. You can't do the same with cloaked NB.

Therefore, I think that it is a fair trade-off. What's not balanced is that it can be spammed non-stop.

If you make cloak 100% guaranteed by removing any counters than this problem or imbalance will just be amplified.

You would be surprised how many builds don't use gap closers + I play mag sorc simce 2014 and trust me I know power of BoL and streak. TBH I can't decide which is more powerful tool because it's heavily dependent on situation. When any of my enemies has some anti cloak mechanic it makes cloak completely useless, it's a wasted slot while bolt escape and morphs is always useful, especially in places where is many obstacles. When you know how and when to use it bolt escape is far superior to cloak, especially when you have been spotted. I know you are experienced sorc my friend but please, go there and play a NB, especially magblade for some time, you will see how screwed is this class without cloak, you wouldn't opt for this if you would feel it on your own skin.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

• _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    How about we put a 4s cool down on ruining class defining skills
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    You would be surprised how many builds don't use gap closers + I play mag sorc simce 2014 and trust me I know power of BoL and streak. TBH I can't decide which is more powerful tool because it's heavily dependent on situation. When any of my enemies has some anti cloak mechanic it makes cloak completely useless, it's a wasted slot while bolt escape and morphs is always useful, especially in places where is many obstacles. When you know how and when to use it bolt escape is far superior to cloak, especially when you have been spotted. I know you are experienced sorc my friend but please, go there and play a NB, especially magblade for some time, you will see how screwed is this class without cloak, you wouldn't opt for this if you would feel it on your own skin.

So Streak/BoL is very situational and you have to know when and how to use it. Fair enough!

But why shouldn't Cloak require situational awareness too? Like knowing when to use it to mitigate damage - i.e. there is a Lethal Arrow flying my way ... time to disappear. And why shouldnt it be punished for consecutive use like streak is?

My suggested change would fit perfectly into that picture.

As a reminder:
    "I recognize the importance of the mitigation of cloak, and that should remain untouched if possible.
    So a solution would be to make cloaking after port to the shade impossible for a short duration and have cost increase if cast again within 4 sec and not attacking the target again. That way the mitigation function remains untouched, but the OP gap opening function is nerfed."

Port to shade is far more powerful that streak is. Even far more powerful than a unrestrained streak would be. It is faster and ignores line-of-sight.
    Edited by Galarthor on August 12, 2018 10:14PM
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    yeah lets make magblade even more *** in PvP while not touching it in PvE still
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    You really have no idea how cloak is intended to work do you?
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No. But there should be something for the alternating it between attack weaves. Maybe make a choice. If it’s a defensive ability, maybe for 4 seconds after use, damage done is halved. Opposite of its crit buff now.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    No. But a 3 second cooldown if your cloak gets prematurely broken by damage would be welcome - similar to what happens when you interrupt a channel/cast time ability.