Selling crowns for gold is a SCAM and RIPOFF!

• ResTandRespeC
    ResTandRespeC
    ✭✭✭✭
    JiDul wrote: »
    I think a lot of what this has to do with is people don't understand the value of real life money. People wanting to buy 6k crowns for 80:1 ratio? That's 480k for $47 of money I worked hard for. I can go out and farm 480k worth of materials in a few hours of sitting at my desk mindless drone farming. Where as me and a lot of other people had to work 4-5 real hard real life working hours of real labor just to earn that money to sell you crowns. Some people are total rip offs in these games and the fact that this is becoming the market for selling crowns makes me kind of sick. The ESO market is very expensive, things are sold in the thousands, meaning I could go and buy a Motif for 20k or a Ring of something for 40k some stuff goes for the hundred-thousands.. Its unfair that i'm supposed to give you 47 real dollars for an amount of gold that will get me 3 things before i'm broke in game again and have to go and spend 47 more dollars.. on 3 things that are in game and have no use to me outside of this game. Also the amount of people who have 100k in their bank vastly outnumbers the amount of people who own millions of gold. So the market for this is going to continue to drop because people are going to be unwilling to pay so much for crowns and the people who do have the gold to afford it will stop paying so much because the price dropped. Soon you will be seeing a ratio of 1:1 because of how this market works.

As others have said, if you don't like the exchange rate then look for another person to sell too.
    But that's not the full story. Many people have stocked up on crowns during 40-50% sales which tends to overall reduce the value of crowns, a long with the fact that people stack them from their eso+ subs. On the "black market" gold prices are much higher especially on console (probably because it's harder for bots I'd imagine). From what I'm seeing the market is anywhere between 40-70$ worth of crowns (not on sale) per million gold, which, if you think about it makes sense. For most sellers it would take, on average 10-20 hrs of pure farming to grind out a million gold, for those savvy traders it might be a little less. minimum wage is somewhere hovering around 8-10$ in the U.S . Because the person is actually working for there money they are getting the "better" deal as far as work per hour.

Likewise the way your talking about gold in this game doesn't really make sense... of coarse there is always going to be something else to spend gold on! it's the nature of the game! Someone on the other end of the transaction could feel the same way.

For instance--- "I think a lot of what this has to do with is that people don't understand the value of my time versus their own. The crown store is very expensive, small things cost upwards of 50$ and houses cost an arm and a leg! It's unfair that I'm supposed to give you millions of gold that took hours and hours of my time to get something out of the crown store, just so I'm broke again and need to spend hours and hours more just to get things that have no real use outside of the game."

Sounds the exact same and holds the same merits. That's buying and selling anything in this world, just gotta take a walk in someone elses shoes and see the other possible perspectives.
    Edited by ResTandRespeC on July 11, 2018 10:46AM
    Options
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When is zos gonna cut out the middleman and let me buy gold, mats, gear etc directly from the crown store. Just make the “pay for convenience” even more convenient. /s

If you don’t have time to play the game and earn the items then maybe you don’t deserve them. smh
    Options
  • ResTandRespeC
    ResTandRespeC
    ✭✭✭✭
    imrilaoi wrote: »
    You have no idea what P2W is. There is no competitive advantage attatched to anything in the the Crown Store. Just saying that something is P2W doesn't make it so.

What he's saying is that being able to obtain in-game gold with RL cash to buy - for example - Tempering Alloy is what makes its P2W. Not that the items within the cash shop are P2W.

He is still wrong, though. All it is is a "Pay to Shortcut", as you could get those same Tempering Alloys on your own, this just saves people with more cash than play time some of that play time.

They also still won't "win" at anything. An unskilled player in all gold gear is still an unskilled player, who is still going to eat dirt in PvE or PvP. Gold gear is such a small increase in terms of DPS and survivability that it isn't going to help someone who doesn't know how to play.

Having maxed out horses can definitely contribute to faster vHRC scores :wink:
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crown gifts are straight P2W mechanic. I can easy use my cash to buy gold, services of players or whatever I want. With such approach in few year you will have crafting universal mats in crown store, 100% guaranteed drop vouchers, additional skill points, attributes etc. Mark my words.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
  • ResTandRespeC
    ResTandRespeC
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think a lot of what this has to do with is people don't understand the value of real life money. People wanting to buy 6k crowns for 80:1 ratio? That's 480k for $47 of money I worked hard for. I can go out and farm 480k worth of materials in a few hours of sitting at my desk mindless drone farming. Where as me and a lot of other people had to work 4-5 real hard real life working hours of real labor just to earn that money to sell you crowns. Some people are total rip offs in these games and the fact that this is becoming the market for selling crowns makes me kind of sick. The ESO market is very expensive, things are sold in the thousands, meaning I could go and buy a Motif for 20k or a Ring of something for 40k some stuff goes for the hundred-thousands.. Its unfair that i'm supposed to give you 47 real dollars for an amount of gold that will get me 3 things before i'm broke in game again and have to go and spend 47 more dollars.. on 3 things that are in game and have no use to me outside of this game. Also the amount of people who have 100k in their bank vastly outnumbers the amount of people who own millions of gold. So the market for this is going to continue to drop because people are going to be unwilling to pay so much for crowns and the people who do have the gold to afford it will stop paying so much because the price dropped. Soon you will be seeing a ratio of 1:1 because of how this market works.

As others have said, if you don't like the exchange rate then look for another person to sell too.
    But that's not the full story. Many people have stocked up on crowns during 40-50% sales which tends to overall reduce the value of crowns, a long with the fact that people stack them from their eso+ subs. On the "black market" gold prices are much higher especially on console (probably because it's harder for bots I'd imagine). From what I'm seeing the market is anywhere between 40-70$ worth of crowns (not on sale) per million gold, which, if you think about it makes sense. For most sellers it would take, on average 10-20 hrs of pure farming to grind out a million gold, for those savvy traders it might be a little less. minimum wage is somewhere hovering around 8-10$ in the U.S . Because the person is actually working for there money they are getting the "better" deal as far as work per hour.

That being said, I don't like the system and think it's absolutely pushing the game further down the Free to Play road we've been on for awhile now.
    Options
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because of the ability to gift crown store items I'm actually considering on buying the new Hircine home. I'm not foolish enough to waste my money on cosmetics, but I know there are people who are.
    Options
  • Danny_UK
    Danny_UK
    ✭✭✭
    I would never even dream of buying crowns at any price, I don't know why people do. I've never even looked into this and didn't know about selling crowns for gold. The only crowns I do get is the ones free with ESO+, I'd never dream of buying them, waste of money.
    Options
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe this is called a market.
    Master Debater
    Options
  • Syncronaut
    Syncronaut
    ✭✭✭
    Just for research i checked a shady sites a little and i can say this:
    For your 47 dolars you get 50% less that that person offered you.
    According to a dirty goldsellers.

45 dolars is 1 milion gold. (lol thats nothing)

Personaly i am agaisnt crown store gifting. People who buy crowns to get gold are a scum in video games.
    If you dont have time to play this game, just play something else and stop wasting your money on it.

Rather use this money on other games. Do not be a fan of microtrash.
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syncronaut wrote: »

Personaly i am agaisnt crown store gifting. People who buy crowns to get gold are a scum in video games.
    If you dont have time to play this game, just play something else and stop wasting your money on it.

Devs that are giving tools to do things like that are trash.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selling Crowns for Gold makes the game P2W.

It's tragic that people like the OP want to come on the official forums and whine about not receiving enough in game gold for your crowns.

Can you elaborate on how cosmetics are P2W?
    Options
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If they wanted a set market price they would have just brought out ESO tokens instead and have a community set price on buying them like WoW tokens
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a pretty unfair statement.

If you don't have free time to grind hours a day, don't play games you enjoy.

Someone might have the time for a few hours of trials a week, but not to grind the gold for housing, tempers, materials, potions.
    However they have a lot of excess money in real life. So there is a system which let's them convert that money into in game currency (which is worthless at this point) without harming the game and supporting fraud and crime.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • Syncronaut
    Syncronaut
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

That's a pretty unfair statement.

If you don't have free time to grind hours a day, don't play games you enjoy.

Someone might have the time for a few hours of trials a week, but not to grind the gold for housing, tempers, materials, potions.
    However they have a lot of excess money in real life. So there is a system which let's them convert that money into in game currency (which is worthless at this point) without harming the game and supporting fraud and crime.

Its a pretty fair one.

Game should be instead created in a way to reduce the need for a gold.
    Either by lowering the price on items/houses/whatever or making something like a weekly quest to make a lot of gold.

However since this company created a grid like this, they deserve all the negative feedback they can get.

Let me remind you of a Jewelry Crafting as a recent up-date and a totaly insane needs to upgrade a single piece of gear.
    (yes 2 milion gold)

It was created on purpose to sell you gold and nothing else.
    Options
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

In the US, $10 an hour is an entry level job.$50 is an hour of work for me at most. Most people who have a career will earn $20 plus. In most other countries its much more of a struggle.

As for earning gold in game...that is about efficiency. The first thing i did when i started playing ESO, was thieving and then i joined a trade guild...and then 2 more trade guilds and then made another character which also stole. Then i got in a better trade guild, and then another character and stole. I ended up with 3 characters stealing and running dailies/ farming and making 50-75k a day with 2-3 hours of playing. Then i improved my ability to farm. Now i make 200k a day if im unlucky.I logged in this morning to 47k worth of new emails and i just cleaned it out last night. That was during about as off peak as you can get for the US.

It really isnt that hard to make money in this game and its not something you really have to grind. But if you spend money every time you think you need something, you will be broke constantly, just like in real life. You can make 10k just stealing on each character in about 20-30 minutes and that doesnt include any good items you can sell in a guild store. You could do that for an hour every evening and should come out with at least 20k in gold per evening.

I think the only thing ive bought from guild stores is a few recipes, a few pieces of armor( purple) and some non gold improvement mats in the last 6 months.
    Options
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno & @ZOS_JessicaFolsom this is a BONKERS topic really.

Maybe one to discuss openly in a ESO Live...
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    Options
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically, means....Bags of Gold coming to a Crown Store near youuuuuu!!!!!!
    Options
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Selling Crowns for Gold makes the game P2W.

It's tragic that people like the OP want to come on the official forums and whine about not receiving enough in game gold for your crowns.

I have a sub, and usually, unless there are senche mounts/pets, I don't buy much from the crown store, so I have crowns to use. Please tell me what I could buy for myself, or buy for some other player's in-game gold, that could let me "win" the game.

Seems like most people consider making it to Emperor to be "winning", but I've never found and "instant emperor" token in the crown store. Other people consider being at the top of the leaderboards for trials to be "winning", and I haven't found anything in the crown store that will get my name to the number 1 slot. Not even if I use that adorable blue eyed senche lion cub as a bribe.... As far as that goes I haven't found anything that will give me the monster helms/shoulders if it buy it, or maelstrom weapons either. If you consider piling up billions in gold in your bank to be "winning", I hate to tell you there are hundreds of people in the game with more than enough gold to have already "won".

Please tell me what I can buy to "P2W", cause I'd like to try it.

Options
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry too much about the crown / gold trade. Just don't do it. The more you become detached from this game the better you will feel.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

Options
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. If you can farm gold quicker than you can earn the real money equivelant, why would you be selling crowns? - Also, what do you define as 'real labour'? if I'm a software developer doing contract work for £550 a day, it's taking me (at your rates) half an hour to be able to buy that 500k that would take 'a few hours of sitting at my desk mindless drone farming' that doesn't seem like a rip-off to me. Your understanding of real money isn't the same as someone elses, doesn't mean theirs is wrong.
    2. If you can't afford it or it's too pricey then don't do it, you wouldn't in real life.
    3. You don't HAVE to spend anything, like, period - If you don't like it, don't get involved in it.
    Edited by BNOC on July 11, 2018 1:14PM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
    Options
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you don't understand how trading works. Let me explain:

You value your assets. You also value other assets owned by another person. Like you, that person also values both assets. However, there is a difference in how much you each value those assets. If you value their assets more than your own, and they value yours more than their own, then the conditions are suitable for a voluntary trade to take place. If such conditions do not exist, then the solution is simple: don't trade.

Your complaint is misplaced. If you choose to engage in trades that conflict with your valuation of the assets being traded, then your valuations conflict with your impulses and you lack the self-discipline to control them. This is a problem within yourself, not with the other party. You would benefit more from spending your time researching and practicing impulse control techniques rather than blaming others.
    Options
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    K, don't sell your crowns then. A crown motif is 5000 crowns, basically almost 40 bucks.
    Options
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically, means....Bags of Gold coming to a Crown Store near youuuuuu!!!!!!

Maybe, but I hope not. That would be a huge change and a sad one.

This system doesn't add gold to the economy from nowhere. It's the item that comes from nowhere. ZoS is only selling gold that players earned through playing. It's an important distinction.
    Options
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh Dont like it, dont do it !
    Options
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh.... if anything, being able to buy Crown items for gold makes the game LESS "pay 2 win". Because someone who didn't pay $, can get the things in the cash shop.

P2W is when the game has stuff that 1) you can ONLY get by dropping cash, which 2) gives you an otherwise-unobtainable advantage over non-$ players.

Open-world/Free-for-all/take your victim's gear PvP MMOs where you can get "insurance" against getting your stuff stolen, but only with $. Games where to be competitive you need your gear upgraded to "+15", but the only way to do that is with piles of $upgrade $consumables. Games where they just straight out sell stronger gear in the cash shop.

ESO is none of these things. And again, opening up crown items to be obtained by anyone for gold takes it further away from that.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on July 11, 2018 3:19PM
    Options
  • _Salty_
    _Salty_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This crown gifting/selling is one of the greasiest things I have ever seen a developer do in an MMO.

They try to sell it to us as Gifting but its a $ to ingame gold exchange that equals profit for Zos.
    Psn l---Salty---l

Patiently waiting to make a Stankcromancer.
    Options
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    So if i want to give 3k to 5k worth crowns away how much should i be looking at getting in return?

Depends on the item. For houses, you're going to have to undercut the game for obvious reasons. Mudas stones or crown store only items are different. You can have 200m gold and that isn't going to buy you a mundas stone for your house nor will it get you a CS only motif and so on.
    Options
  • Jameliel
    Jameliel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol this whole thread is funny. Usually people would be talking about selling gold for cash outright. Instead it's in the form of crowns for this game. Gold is way too easy to make in ESO. In Grahtwood zone chat today, a guy said he wanted a character slot, and wanted to use game gold to pay for it. I asked him how much gold for the 1,500 crowns it would cost, and he said no more than 70k. That's about 46.6 gold per crown. That's ridiculous to me. I have a friend who sells crowns for around 350gold, and saw someone else advertising for 200. In my opinion, even these prices are dirt cheap.
    Options
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many kids in-game (yea, that's a violation of the ToS)
    That's not really correct:

By using any ZeniMax Services, You affirm that (i) You are at least 18 years of age (or have reached the age of majority if that is not 18 years of age where You live) OR You have reviewed these Terms of Service with Your parent or guardian and he or she assents to these Terms of Service on Your behalf and takes full responsibility for Your compliance with them
    Options
  • jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I am sure ZOS taken into account the fact that there are many bored kids with daddy's credit card, as well as 40yo men with little time to play. Both are happy to spend real money but have no time/will to farm in-game gold.

So essentially ZOS is legitimizing the purchase of in-game gold, hiding it as gifts. Just like those girls who offer to spend some time together but do expect some kind of help in exchange.

I am sure they think this will increase the pruchase of crowns.
    "Yesterday while searching a barrel in vVoM I found a lemon. Best drop of the whole run."

Protect the weak. Heal the sick.
    Treasure the gifts of friendship. Seek joy and inspiration in the mysteries of love.
    Honor the Earth, its creatures, and the spirits. Use Nature's gifts wisely. Respect her power. Fear her fury.
    Options
This discussion has been closed.