The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

5 Skills + Ultimate is not enough

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragunzar wrote: »
    What if I want soul trap? Or vampire abilities? Or things like magelight? Theres going to be so many abilities that I simply won't use due to the fact I am so limited in options.

You won't use them, but someone else will. Because he has different priorities, different ideas about what is important and what can be skipped. This will lead to wonderful variety on the battlefield where no single 'spec' will be fotm.

And i think having access to 18 different abilities at once is more than enough.

(light attack, heavy attack, interrupt, block, dodge, quickslot, and 5 abilities+ultimate for each weapon set)
  • BigDumbViking
    BigDumbViking
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I'm thinking the goal is to manage stamina and magica pools... not mashing buttons like in WOW or some of the more traditional MMO's.

That said, you get 10 skills and 2 ultimate's after level 14. And lets be honest, even with that, if you were to use all 10 skills in succession you would be out of resources completely.
    James Dalton - Nord Dragonknight

& Trusty Steed Roadhouse

• jazzinspace
    jazzinspace
    ✭✭
    it's about situational spells though isn't it, not mashing them one by one. You may rarely need to use mage light but cannot afford to replace a necessary skill on your bar because you would be broken in combat without it.
  • danecrocker05rwb17_ESO
    They need to change it for PC, because there isn't enough buttons on the controller for PS4 and Xbox1 to have 8 skills.
  • BigDumbViking
    BigDumbViking
    ✭✭
    I also think the limit on available abilities allows for more class balance for the PVP areas.
    James Dalton - Nord Dragonknight

& Trusty Steed Roadhouse

• Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Considering we got two set of weapon wich you can switch at will without cooldowns you might as well say you got 12 skill slot on that bar! All you need is switching weapon to acess them all and you dont have a cooldown for doing so!

I can chain strike a guy with a full set of Shadow and assasination ability before swapping weapon to my dual wield full skill line all with a single press of a key! This game is in no way lacking space for spells.

Start your chain with stealth stun it stealth again with a spell stun it use the vampire elite to go Nightingale cloak for 5 second backstab stun it etc, you aint lacking tool in the least.
    Edited by Kyubi_3002b16_ESO on April 2, 2014 1:30PM
    One bow to darken the sun
    One bow to unite the clans
    One bow to conquer the world and in darkness drown it...

- Prophecy of the tyranny of the sun
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do it so people will choose different skills to master and give the game more variety.

They didn't want it like other MMORPGs where every class uses the same basic skills and rotations.
  • Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Use your 10 skill slot and your 2 elite correctly and you might as well say you did a rotation x.x im still trying to figure if conjuration magic will stay in effect after a weapon switching.
    Edited by Kyubi_3002b16_ESO on April 2, 2014 1:35PM

• RighteousDevil
    I like the limitations of the skill set. My thoughts are it's going to bring alot to the table for class diversity. And as someone else mentioned, PvP should be more exciting as it is hard to "know" what skills others are using.

I'm already trying to figure out my "end game" skill set/s. Is it worth opening up this ability and leveling up that skill line for a Passive skill and or just the ultimate from that line. I love it, makes me think.

I can understand that some folks prefer to have "everything" so they can be able to counteract all situations, but that's the fun in it. Improvise. If it's that big of a deal to have CC or heals or DPS, grab a friend, it is an MMO after all.

6 skills with this combat system is definitly a step in the right direction for MMO's if you ask me.
  • Llamaalarmallama
    I hate the skill limitation

Characters are mostly functional idiots right now....

What's going to happen is people are going to get tired of only having 5 skills and leave the game.....yep they can get more...but can only use 5....which begs the question why have other skills then?

If you don't want players to use them why have them?

You cant answer that with saying we want players to use them...because you don't...or else you would let players use them all the time.

In essence this is the first elder scrolls game where your character is kind of moronic....as they can get skills but cant use them all the time.

Hopefully this will change....
    And personally I hope their stealth will eventually last longer then 2 seconds....because my assassin is basically a pathetic warrior right now...which is kind of frustrating....in no way shape or form am I assassinating anything or feeling like a rogue...what I feel like is a sub par warrior....with attacks that do less damage.

Well, your in a minority thinking in this direction it seems. They've made it clear this is there design and intend to stick to it. As for comparison to other ES games... you DO realise this is the first with a proper action bar?

Most of your points are opinion without much backing - 5 skills is moronic - why? People will leave the game because of it? - Why? It seems this is more a case that you are more at home in a wow style MMO of which there are many to choose from.

The last point hammers this home, you rolled a nightblade wanting a rogue. You realise you can build a nightblade as anything you want from a caster to a tank right? Or did you just choose the closest thing to what you were comfortable with and expect it to mold to your usual preferred character style? The point of the stealth isn't to sit invisible for long periods of time it's for actual tactical use, attack, disappear, come back at your opponent from their blind side, hit and run.

Damage is NOT what your character is singularly about, whatever class you roll.

This honestly just seems like a mindset problem. This is not and will not play like WoW/SWTOR/WS - it's a VERY different style of MMO.

• Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I already figured my whole skill set for this character but it will take me time to unlock them all

• bakejoshb14_ESO
    I'm fine with the 5+1 setup. Whatever happened to adapting to the way the game is designed? This isn't a bug, or a limitation, it's how the game was meant to be played.
  • GuildKid
    GuildKid
    If anything this number of skills will make the game more challenging, because your bag of tricks is limited. I mainly PvP and love tanking, and to catch a caster in a lot of games is little more than a dream. With this game if your snared you stay snared unless you invest in mobility at a cost in ether healing or dps and visa versa. It's very apparent this game invests a lot in real time combat. Not standing in one place burning a target, or perpetually healing yourself.

Having the limited number of skills also makes it easier for developers to monitor how races, and class's fair against each other.

I've done Fungal Grotto, and taken down a few elites, but it's no cake walk. This game is challenging. Our enemies are supplemented to be stronger than us on our skill level. We have to play smart.
    Edited by GuildKid on April 2, 2014 2:26PM
  • Izzban
    Izzban
    ✭✭✭
    I think that 10 +2 +dodge, block, etc are plenty.

I don't want to be the same as every other player who is the same class as me. That is what will happen in ESO if you can slot most or all of your abilities. Class diversity is ruined since everybody has the same skills slotted. I don't care if you are only asking for 1 more slot, because there are others who are only asking for 2 more slots, then 3... In the end, every additional slot reduces diversity.

To keep classes diverse, a means to specialize must be introduced. This can come in the form of traits (LotRo), feats (DDo, AoC), massive skill trees and limited points (PoE, AC, AC2), and similar mechanics. ESO, along with NWO, have gone with an action game approach where character diversity depends on player choice of skills slotted on a limited bar.

This is a design choice and is integral to the balance of the game. If you want all of your skills slotted, or even just more skill slots, then the devs are going to have to do one or more of the following:

1) Rebalance all content and skills. One poster said he wanted just more buffs. What do you think adding 2 more buffs per player is going to do to content balance? It's going to destroy it and groups will mow down everything.

2) Reduce the number of skyshards and/or skill point gain. The game needs a way to define characters. If every character can get enough skill points to get every skill, and every skill can be slotted, then every character of the same class is ONLY defined by which weapons and armor are chosen. At that point, something has to be done and reducing the number of skill points a character can get will bring back diversity. Reducing the number of skills gained is similar to what we have now, limited hotbar slots.

3) Add an alternate way to diversify your character. To allow players to define their characters, feats, traits, or some method of character specialization would need to be implemented. I shudder to think of how much dev time would be needed for this.

I understand that some players may think that just adding one more skill slot (which is actually 2 with weapon swap) won't hurt anything. I disagree. The game and classes are balanced around the 10+2 skill slots and changing this will require both content and skill rebalancing. Think of it this way. If you are PVPing another player, is it fair to say that they have an advantage over you if they can slot 12+2 while you can slot 10+2?
  • GuildKid
    GuildKid
    I do not want a screen full of spells. I am asking for 8 per weapon not 50....

Yeah you have to think about what skills you go into battle with but then that just becomes rock paper scissors with pvp and you are left with little room for flexibility.

I have just made a bunch of builds on http://esobuild.com.

1 for pve.
    1 for pvp.
    1 for dungeons.

would be nice to quickly select between them in a 'sets' or 'templates' style interface rather than have to go into the skills tab and assign each of them every time.

The beauty of rock paper scissors is it evens the playing field. Who will you win against at any given time, and how good is your handy work with WASD?
  • Extremeties
    Extremeties
    ✭✭✭
    they did that so consoles could compete, i find weapon swaping annoying but its basically the same as 10 slots + 2 ultimates and im fine with that overall

I HIGHLY doubt their reasoning for allowing 5 per bar was for consoles. Highly doubt it. Theres been other mmos out on consoles that had more abilities so that cant be their reasoning.
  • GamePlayer7
    I think the current system is fine. I like swapping out skills on my bar for various encounters, it seems more strategic. Also, I'm not looking for another MMO where the greatest challenge is figuring out your keybind setup.
  • odinwise
    odinwise

What's going to happen is people are going to get tired of only having 5 skills and leave the game.....yep they can get more...but can only use 5....which begs the question why have other skills then?

You cant answer that with saying we want players to use them...because you don't...or else you would let players use them all the time.

In essence this is the first elder scrolls game where your character is kind of moronic....as they can get skills but cant use them all the time.

And personally I hope their stealth will eventually last longer then 2 seconds....because my assassin is basically a pathetic warrior right now...which is kind of frustrating....in no way shape or form am I assassinating anything or feeling like a rogue...what I feel like is a sub par warrior....with attacks that do less damage.

Well, your in a minority thinking in this direction it seems. They've made it clear this is there design and intend to stick to it. As for comparison to other ES games... you DO realise this is the first with a proper action bar?

Most of your points are opinion without much backing - 5 skills is moronic - why? People will leave the game because of it? - Why? It seems this is more a case that you are more at home in a wow style MMO of which there are many to choose from.

The last point hammers this home, you rolled a nightblade wanting a rogue. You realise you can build a nightblade as anything you want from a caster to a tank right? Or did you just choose the closest thing to what you were comfortable with and expect it to mold to your usual preferred character style? The point of the stealth isn't to sit invisible for long periods of time it's for actual tactical use, attack, disappear, come back at your opponent from their blind side, hit and run.

This honestly just seems like a mindset problem. This is not and will not play like WoW/SWTOR/WS - it's a VERY different style of MMO.

This. This. This! It really is a mindset problem. Honestly, I rolled a nightblade and have been building her towards a more familiar rogue style for the most part. The beauty is I have to carefully choose which skills I want to make this happen even remotely.

As for the rock paper scissors thing. I disagree there is no flexibility. There's flexibility if you want there to be flexibility. Your choices for your build and your skills can make it straight forward or not. The traditional style, imo, has less flexibility since all your skills are available to you at once. With this you end up responding to every scenario the same way. Here, you are forced to respond differently each time simply because you have less skills available at the moment, and the choices you made are what you have. You will end up thinking more critically in the moment than simply responding with X skill or spell every time.
  • krapmyself
    krapmyself
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this has been mentioned but...

The limited skill bar doesn't just encourage tactical thinking, in emphasizes group strategy and skill, such as the use of synergies and LMB/RMB interrupts. In past MMOs a tank or healer could just carry the rest of the group if they had the gear or skill to do so. In ESO, the healer has to use their heals more strategically and OTHER players, the DPS specifically, MUST use their dodges to evade damage. ESO doesn't allow players, or rather a single player, just muscle through content.

So if you're not healing well enough, it's likely not entirely your fault.
  • krapmyself
    krapmyself
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also like to add you actually have 10 skills and two ultimates at level 15 which weapon swap. Nothing is stopping you from equipping 2 healing staffs and loading up on all healing skills.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While class balancing will certainly happen, I can guarantee you this model won't change. NWO, TSW, GW - the WoW days of having a huge amount of abilities on your hotbar are gone. This was less of a choice for this game specifically than it is where the MMO meta has gone. This also makes it problematic for someone that for some odd reason finds it so distasteful that they want to leave - the options of places to go will be limited.

The best option is to learn to adapt and enjoy the nuance of this trend, because it certainly isn't going away. People are focusing too much on this one single thing they dislike and throwing the baby out with the bathwater instead of learning and enjoying this style of MMO. And rest assured, it is a style change - not a "dumbing down" as people are wont to claim.
    Edited by Vikova on April 2, 2014 3:27PM
  • krapmyself
    krapmyself
    ✭✭✭
    odinwise wrote: »

This. This. This! It really is a mindset problem. Honestly, I rolled a nightblade and have been building her towards a more familiar rogue style for the most part. The beauty is I have to carefully choose which skills I want to make this happen even remotely.

As for the rock paper scissors thing. I disagree there is no flexibility. There's flexibility if you want there to be flexibility. Your choices for your build and your skills can make it straight forward or not. The traditional style, imo, has less flexibility since all your skills are available to you at once. With this you end up responding to every scenario the same way. Here, you are forced to respond differently each time simply because you have less skills available at the moment, and the choices you made are what you have. You will end up thinking more critically in the moment than simply responding with X skill or spell every time.

I happen to notice in games like that, which you have 20 to 30 skills on your screen at once, you're only really using 4 to 5 of them at time to be effective anyway. Funny, that.

• Mulk
    Mulk
    ✭✭✭
    they did that so consoles could compete, i find weapon swaping annoying but its basically the same as 10 slots + 2 ultimates and im fine with that overall

I HIGHLY doubt their reasoning for allowing 5 per bar was for consoles. Highly doubt it. Theres been other mmos out on consoles that had more abilities so that cant be their reasoning.

This is true. The decision to do the hotbars in this fashion predates any announcement of the game being playable on consoles. Further, as someone who was there to see it, this hotbar setup was in place in the very first beta weekends.
  • jazzinspace
    jazzinspace
    ✭✭
    wow, some serious feedback here which is great.

I want to make it clear that I am not asking for 30 skills all over my screen at all. I also agree that I am enjoying the tactical thought behind what I will spec, and can definitely use it to define myself more of a role within a group.

I am merely asking for 8 skills per weapon set ( or less even?) - it is already a difficult enough choice choosing what skills I want within the weapons and class skills section. It will be tricky to ever find space for the world or guild skills such as mage light with this strict of a skill set.

• jazzinspace
    jazzinspace
    ✭✭
    wow, some serious feedback here which is great.

I want to make it clear that I am not asking for 30 skills all over my screen at all. I also agree that I am enjoying the tactical thought behind what I will spec, and can definitely use it to define myself more of a role within a group.

I am merely asking for 8 skills per weapon set ( or less even?) - it is already a difficult enough choice choosing what skills I want within the weapons and class skills section. It will be tricky to ever find space for the world or guild skills such as mage light with this strict of a skill set.

perhaps it would be nice if they made some slots for world/guild skills only?
  • Plasmix
    Plasmix
    I'm fine with the 5 +1 hot keys but wouldn't mind like 2 more. Anymore would be overkill
  • hudsonhawk8200ub17_ESO
    5 Skills are plenty. DO NOT RUIN THIS. If you want 100000 skills go play WOW, or SWTOR.
  • elorei
    elorei
    ✭✭✭
    No more skills available at once, please. The current system rewards smart players, rewards tactical thinkers that build correctly, creates a ton more diveristy in player builds/loadouts, and makes the game retain a fast paced action feel.

Big loadouts with a ton of skills are a holdover from turned based combat like WoW and EQ. I do not want turn based combat anymore.

I have a feeling most of the people asking for more are fairly new to the game. Once you play it for a while, you realize just how wonderful this system is. Back when the big wave of Sanguine testers came on back in August, the beta forums were packed with threads like these. After just a few weekend tests, most of those same people came to see the light, and really found that they did not even realize that what they were asking for was just because it was what they were used to.
  • Yankee
    Yankee
    ✭✭✭✭
    At first I thought 5 skills + ulitmate was not enough. And it would not be without weapons swap that gives 10 skills total.

After being a WoW player for 8 years and having a screen full of spells and 30+ keybinds, I was not sure I could adapt.

With over 300 hours playing ESO now, I find ESO combat enjoyable with the 10 skills + ultimate and do not miss WoW at all.

A silver lining to me is that because there are so many class skills available (plus weapon/guild/vampire/werewolf) but only 10 can be slotted it will make the variety of builds encountered in PVP much more interesting to play against.

And your enemy will not know your build either.

I feel it actually makes for a more interesting game.

Edited by Yankee on April 2, 2014 4:21PM
  • zepf
    zepf
    I love the idea behind the 5 skills, it’s brilliantly done in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.