The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How can they possibly charge $130-$150 for a house

• TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only complaint would be that you can't buy them with gold. Ridiculous price or not there should be a choice how to get the house. Making it crown only is where my spider sense starts to tingle ;)
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Another point is that these virtual homes are veblen goods. They could charge 1,500 USD for a house, and many people would buy it, because of the perceived exclusivity. Why would someone buy a Bentley, when they could buy ten Kias for the same price and have ten times as many cars?

Problem with that is that it's artificial scarcity. You could make an argument for that also being the case for something like a bentley, but the counter argument (that there's a reason for it being scarce) holds no water in the case of digital goods. There's no reason other than wanting money for not making digital goods as plentiful as possible. What this thread is about is where ESO lies on the spectrum of artificial scarcity - whether the amount they charge is fair - rather than if they can charge whatever they want, although that's a fair point.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Greevir
    Greevir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't understand how people can't seem to get it through their thick skulls that ZoS simply charges what they charge because PEOPLE WILL PAY IT!
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marginis wrote: »
    Another point is that these virtual homes are veblen goods. They could charge 1,500 USD for a house, and many people would buy it, because of the perceived exclusivity. Why would someone buy a Bentley, when they could buy ten Kias for the same price and have ten times as many cars?

Problem with that is that it's artificial scarcity. You could make an argument for that also being the case for something like a bentley, but the counter argument (that there's a reason for it being scarce) holds no water in the case of digital goods. There's no reason other than wanting money for not making digital goods as plentiful as possible. What this thread is about is where ESO lies on the spectrum of artificial scarcity - whether the amount they charge is fair - rather than if they can charge whatever they want, although that's a fair point.

ZOS have to have servers available to host these house instances. If they sold 100x as many houses at lower prices that would mean they have to pay 100x more in server costs.

There is more to them selling a house than simply 1s and 0s in a database somewhere. These servers arent dedicated to running only our houses 24/7, but they still need to have enough available to accomidate everyone online deciding to go to their houses at the same time.
    [DC/NA]
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I knew the house was going to be expensive, and that doesn’t really bother me. But there are a few things that will probably keep me from buying the palace:

1. Even when it’s furnished, it doesn’t “feel” like it’s furnished. The palace is so large that whatever furniture allocation they have gets spread out to so many rooms and outdoors that it’s hard to tell the difference. And whatever you would need to do to furnish the palace, your notable home allocation would get used up in a heartbeat.

2. I still hate the housing ambient and direct lighting. For this house, it would probably take at least 30% of your furniture allocation just to make it feel like a home and not some dungeon.

3. And although I don’t mind paying the money for such a house, I do like to save a bit of money when I can. So if have a decent crown sale, I’m more willing to part with my crowns. Since the last sale was a joke, I’m not inclined to spend this kind of cash on a digital house. I’ll same my crowns for something I might actually need later.
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt pay half that for any house i dont care what size it is. Its just pixels and i dont even own them. I dont get to keep them if they shut the server down.
    duendology wrote: »
    The interesting part is that..you don't actually own the things you buy in the game. You pomp your cash into something that exists so long the game continues. You can't just take the things and leave. When ESO dies.. so is your collection. But, well, of course, everyone assumes ESO is forever.

And so far... ESO housing is the most expensive decoration simulation EVAR!!!

Bwa? Why is ownership even coming up? No one thinks ESO is forever...

Why do you spend money going to the movie theatre? To amusement parks? Your time with it will come to an end and you won't own the movie, the theatre, the park. We're buying entertainment experiences.

FWIW, I'm going to get more entertainment hours/$ decorating this house than I would in one day at an amusement park or a couple trips to the movie theatre. That said, I wouldn't begrudge you spending $100 at Six Flags... This is how some people elect to spend their expendable income. I haven't the foggiest why that bothers some of you so much.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    badmojo wrote: »
    There's a strange obsession about ZOS not getting paid in this community.

How much money could a person have made if they did something productive with the hours they have spent playing ESO? Even at minimum wage here in Canada($15/h), I could make enough money to pay for this house in 10 hours of work, that's only 2 short days of work. But, ten hours is nothing in the ESO grind, that might get you one character to 50 during a double XP event.

I am not trying to defend the pricing ZOS has implemented for housing, believe me I would love to pick up these houses for much less. But, there seems to be a strange disconnect in some players minds between the time they invest in this game and the money they invest.

In 10 hours at a minimum wage job, I could get 15,000 crowns.
    In 10 hours of doing crafting writs, I could get maybe 350,000-400,000 gold.
    How big of a house can we buy for 400k gold? Certainly nothing like the Princely Dawnlight.

I have probably spent 3000 hours playing ESO. At a minimum wage job I could have made $45,000 during that time. But suddenly I am supposed to be outraged at a 10 hour time investment for an in-game mansion? I also don't work for minimum wage, so it's more like 5hours of my time for access to a part of the game I really enjoy.

If I was a casual player and only played ESO a couple hours a week, sure, the price would be outrageous. But, if I only played ESO a few hours a week I wouldn't be buying a house that extravagant.

Don't go all crazy in here. It's not about ZoS getting paid. It's about profit margin. The prices in the crown store are completely out of whack with the investment.

Dawnlight, for example, probably took one ZoS employee 1-2 weeks to cut the palace from the game (it already exists, hence the loading screen description) and paste it down the hill from the existing palace. For the sake of argument, let's say it cost ZoS $5k for the work to be performed. I am being generous because based on some of the bugs that come and go from the game, it's more likely they off-shored the work for a couple grand.

So why the steep price? Zero competition. Only ZoS can sell digital items to ESO players.

In other cases where a company might otherwise have a monopoly, such as cable, wireless and gas/electric utilities, most countries have some form of unbundling legislation that forces infrastructure providers to sell access to new market entrants (competitors). If you have never traveled through the U.S., you probably don't know that in most of the EU the prices for internet and cellular services are some 40% cheaper than in the U.S. You also have 2-3 times as many choices. Most of the U.S. has no choice, except between say a cable and a satellite company (but try to play ESO over the Dish network...). Only cities really have choices, and it's usually 1 or 2 alternatives. Go to the U.K. and you have 4-6 choices.

Circling back, if game companies were similarly regulated so that they had to sell at-cost access to third party software companies, Dawnlight would be dirt cheap.

• Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what people are getting their knickers in a twist about. The price is similar to other houses in that category, and it IS a very large property.

The fact that it will be difficult to furnish properly due to item limit has nothing to do with the price. That is another subject altogether.

In the end, buy it if you want to. Otherwise don't.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How much money could a person have made if they did something productive with the hours they have spent playing ESO? Even at minimum wage here in Canada($15/h), I could make enough money to pay for this house in 10 hours of work, that's only 2 short days of work. But, ten hours is nothing in the ESO grind, that might get you one character to 50 during a double XP event.

I am not trying to defend the pricing ZOS has implemented for housing, believe me I would love to pick up these houses for much less. But, there seems to be a strange disconnect in some players minds between the time they invest in this game and the money they invest.

How big of a house can we buy for 400k gold? Certainly nothing like the Princely Dawnlight.

I have probably spent 3000 hours playing ESO. At a minimum wage job I could have made $45,000 during that time. But suddenly I am supposed to be outraged at a 10 hour time investment for an in-game mansion? I also don't work for minimum wage, so it's more like 5hours of my time for access to a part of the game I really enjoy.

If I was a casual player and only played ESO a couple hours a week, sure, the price would be outrageous. But, if I only played ESO a few hours a week I wouldn't be buying a house that extravagant.

Don't go all crazy in here. It's not about ZoS getting paid. It's about profit margin. The prices in the crown store are completely out of whack with the investment.

Dawnlight, for example, probably took one ZoS employee 1-2 weeks to cut the palace from the game (it already exists, hence the loading screen description) and paste it down the hill from the existing palace. For the sake of argument, let's say it cost ZoS $5k for the work to be performed. I am being generous because based on some of the bugs that come and go from the game, it's more likely they off-shored the work for a couple grand.

So why the steep price? Zero competition. Only ZoS can sell digital items to ESO players.

In other cases where a company might otherwise have a monopoly, such as cable, wireless and gas/electric utilities, most countries have some form of unbundling legislation that forces infrastructure providers to sell access to new market entrants (competitors). If you have never traveled through the U.S., you probably don't know that in most of the EU the prices for internet and cellular services are some 40% cheaper than in the U.S. You also have 2-3 times as many choices. Most of the U.S. has no choice, except between say a cable and a satellite company (but try to play ESO over the Dish network...). Only cities really have choices, and it's usually 1 or 2 alternatives. Go to the U.K. and you have 4-6 choices.

Circling back, if game companies were similarly regulated so that they had to sell at-cost access to third party software companies, Dawnlight would be dirt cheap.

Much like the network providers in North America, ZOS can set the prices because they built the infastructure.

You can say it only cost them $5k to create the Dawnlight property, but they also created all the objects inside it, and the world that it exists inside of, not to mention building up the game and community around it. At launch I remember hearing the number $250million being thrown around a lot, I am sure they have invested plenty more since then.

Your $5k argument is like saying The Simpsons movie was overpriced because all they had to do was pay a few writers to make a script. That argument totally ignores the hard work of creating a new brand, establishing a foothold in the market and then rising to the top of the market.

Point is I could pay to have a script written, but its not going to be a Simpsons movie. At the same time I could pay someone $5k to create a digital palace, but its not going to be a property in Tamriel that my ESO friends can visit. The price we pay for these things are more expensive because they are attached to large and established brands, and in this case they are inside a large established MMORPG.

If the Palace is not worth the money to you, just dont buy it. We dont need the government to step in and force ZOS to make their own creations cheaper because some people think everything should be easily accessible to everyone. That is a slippery slope, and these are LUXURY purchases, that nobody actually needs.
    [DC/NA]
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reoskit wrote: »

Bwa? Why is ownership even coming up? No one thinks ESO is forever...

Why do you spend money going to the movie theatre? To amusement parks? Your time with it will come to an end and you won't own the movie, the theatre, the park. We're buying entertainment experiences.

FWIW, I'm going to get more entertainment hours/$ decorating this house than I would in one day at an amusement park or a couple trips to the movie theatre. That said, I wouldn't begrudge you spending $100 at Six Flags... This is how some people elect to spend their expendable income. I haven't the foggiest why that bothers some of you so much.

Yes, well, putting it like that, yes it's just an elusive or fleeting entertainment.

The thing is.. ZOS has been slowly (or not really) turning ESO into a very expensive form of entertainment. And using interesting tactics like naming new content "chapters" in order to get even more money from the players who pay for the subscription to have the access to the ENTIRE GAME...or increasing prices of crowns at the same time increasing prices for the store items.
    But, well, it's all about business, right?

Anyway, I missed the most important part of your reply...
    I am not bothered at all. I don't care. I am just an observer and somewhat fascinated by the psychology of consumerism, and marketing tricks in particular.

PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »
    Zos should fix the game instead of being Estate Agents /Realtors

The people that fix the game are not the same people that would be working on new cosmetic items or new content.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • nursingninja
    nursingninja
    ✭✭✭
    There are cheaper homes if that's too much for you.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much in the way of new houses though unless you wanna go big.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

Not much in the way of new houses though unless you wanna go big.

Yes so true. Everything new that comes out is more and more gaudy and expensive. No love for people who want something new and simple.
    Edited by weedgenius on May 11, 2018 2:28AM
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it goes like this:

Let's assume you have 10 customers; 1 whale, 6 casuals and 3 stingy ones. Now it's really hard to reach stingy people, so many companies just wouldn't aim that way. If you make a product for casual costumers and cost it $x, that'll bring you $6x, and 6 people to make happy. But if you make a product for whales and cost it $10x, that 1 whale is gonna bring you more money and you will have 1 person to make happy. And believe me most of the whales are already happy by spending $10x for an elite product while noone else can.

That's the perfect way of soaking cash. And i assume we all got to know how hungry ZoS is when it comes to cash :trollface:
    This would explain the actual trend - the releasing of "luxury" house only = moving upmarket

But Zo$ should still take care of the amount of people they make happy.

Hew's Bane is my favourite region in ESO but the Princely Palace looks irrelevant (value for money)

- too big to be properly furnished (700 items cap)

- only 100% usable with ESO-plus suscriber (I am, but with such an investment, one would expect to be free)

- lack of features for proper and immersive Housing still (https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/411209/zos-the-3-things-you-really-need-to-do-for-housing-right-now)

- depending on ESO's life itself (talking again about the investment)

- not-that-relevant lore-wise for a Thieve's Guild theme
    much people may love a medium house in Abah's Landing. I would love a classical house in the desert, looking like the Shark's Teeth Grotto architecture (this grotto is what I call an amazing place), and/or maybe a simple redguard boat

- AND princely over-priced :lol:
    I would have bought at up to 12-13K furnished, like an other notable house.
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOS have to have servers available to host these house instances. If they sold 100x as many houses at lower prices that would mean they have to pay 100x more in server costs.

There is more to them selling a house than simply 1s and 0s in a database somewhere. These servers arent dedicated to running only our houses 24/7, but they still need to have enough available to accomidate everyone online deciding to go to their houses at the same time.

While I think they don't quite handle it like that (ESO's servers aren't that straightforward), I take your point. They still need to support the houses after the fact, so the more they sell, the more it costs. However, I'm not sure how significant that cost is. Limiting the players who can own those houses even then seems one of the less logical solutions. I mean, if the cost of having those houses up were significant, don't you think ZOS would allow players to delete or sell player owned houses, or implement some other simpler solution than limiting availability? In addition, other things like mounts and outfits (which amount to little more than reskins much of the time) still also have high cost (albeit less than most player housing), which cannot really be accounted for just by maintenance cost.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have bought at up to 12-13K furnished, like an other notable house.

Re this point: the Palace is technically a Manor, even though it's significantly larger than the 3 base manors. The base furnished manors go for up to 15k furnished.

If my source is correct, the furnished lots for the other crown-exclusives have been:

Tel Galen - 10k
    CWC Observatory - 15k
    Pariah's - 16.25k
    DB Sanctuary - 16.25k
    Earthtear - 16.3k
    Linchal - 17.5k
    Grand Topal - 18.8k

Given its size, this house fits right in with their pricing model. (Not saying I agree with it, just saying it's aligned properly.)

Edit: typo
    Edited by reoskit on May 11, 2018 2:16PM
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Much like the network providers in North America, ZOS can set the prices because they built the infastructure.

You can say it only cost them $5k to create the Dawnlight property, but they also created all the objects inside it, and the world that it exists inside of, not to mention building up the game and community around it. At launch I remember hearing the number $250million being thrown around a lot, I am sure they have invested plenty more since then.

Your $5k argument is like saying The Simpsons movie was overpriced because all they had to do was pay a few writers to make a script. That argument totally ignores the hard work of creating a new brand, establishing a foothold in the market and then rising to the top of the market.

Point is I could pay to have a script written, but its not going to be a Simpsons movie. At the same time I could pay someone $5k to create a digital palace, but its not going to be a property in Tamriel that my ESO friends can visit. The price we pay for these things are more expensive because they are attached to large and established brands, and in this case they are inside a large established MMORPG.

If the Palace is not worth the money to you, just dont buy it. We dont need the government to step in and force ZOS to make their own creations cheaper because some people think everything should be easily accessible to everyone. That is a slippery slope, and these are LUXURY purchases, that nobody actually needs.

I think the key words here are Luxury purchases.....lets face it, there is a metric crap ton of envy not only in this very toxic community but in gaming in General....the pseudo games news blog massively OP regularly cranks out hit pieces on cash shops, loot boxes and the people that participate in the business model, stopping just short of endorsing the whackado philosophy of making death threats to folks that dare ride their apex mounts through Daggerfall, or drop a few quid for Overwatch loot crates

it is very reminiscent of the proletariat outrage rags of the early 1900's in which anyone who isn't dirt poor is automatically evil and poisoning the well for everyone else...it's laughable really.

I honestly think it's a generational thing, most millennial's want everything free and now and run with open arms to anything that vaguely resembles a communal utopia or uses 1984 as a tactical manual rather than the cautionary tale it was intended to be.

This too shall pass, in the same way the Hippies of the 60's became the yuppies of the 80's, in the mean time folks that want these items will still pay what the market demands
    Edited by Rain_Greyraven on May 11, 2018 5:59PM
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the key words here are Luxury purchases.....lets face it, there is a metric crap ton of envy not only in this very toxic community but in gaming in General....the pseudo games news blog massively OP regularly cranks out hit pieces on cash shops, loot boxes and the people that participate in the business model, stopping just short of endorsing the whackado philosophy of making death threats to folks that dare ride their apex mounts through Daggerfall, or drop a few quid for Overwatch loot crates

it is very reminiscent of the proletariat outrage rags of the early 1900's in which anyone who isn't dirt poor is automatically evil and poisoning the well for everyone else...it's laughable really.

I honestly think it's a generational thing, most millennial's want everything free and now and run with open arms to anything that vaguely resembles a communal utopia or uses 1984 as a tactical manual rather than the cautionary tale it was intended to be.

This too shall pass, in the same way the Hippies of the 60's became the yuppies of the 80's, in the mean time folks that want these items will still pay what the market demands

I think you misunderstand, like the baby boomers misunderstand millenials. It's not that everyone wants everything for free, it's that everyone doesn't like being taken advantage of. Predatory practices are bad, and it's that that compels the millenials in this metaphor, not laziness. Yes, there are some that just want to take advantage, like in any generation, millenial OR baby boomer, but it's as unfair to say that all millenials are lazy as it is to say all baby boomers are cranky old farts who just want to make life harder on everyone else just because they can't handle change and want everyone else to suffer like they did. I mean, think about all the generations before, if you need to. We don't really accept imperialistic dictators and corrupt monarchs like we used to in the middle ages, which would make baby boomers the whiny and entitled millenials. (This is a metaphor remember - we aren't actually talking about millenials and baby boomers)
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you misunderstand, like the baby boomers misunderstand millenials. It's not that everyone wants everything for free, it's that everyone doesn't like being taken advantage of. Predatory practices are bad, and it's that that compels the millenials in this metaphor, not laziness. Yes, there are some that just want to take advantage, like in any generation, millenial OR baby boomer, but it's as unfair to say that all millenials are lazy as it is to say all baby boomers are cranky old farts who just want to make life harder on everyone else just because they can't handle change and want everyone else to suffer like they did. I mean, think about all the generations before, if you need to. We don't really accept imperialistic dictators and corrupt monarchs like we used to in the middle ages, which would make baby boomers the whiny and entitled millenials. (This is a metaphor remember - we aren't actually talking about millenials and baby boomers)

If it's arbitrary why not just say Reds and Blues or Big Macs and Whoppers?

Anywho.....

It's interesting to be broad brushed as a cranky old fart by a generation that claims to be misunderstood and misrepresented, yet typical. It's also hilarious to label actually working for a better life as suffering, but also typical.

And not all change is good change just ask the democratic republic in Germany when their Millennial's started making noise...odd thing about that they had a lot of the same ideas as this current crop.

The simple fact is you can't be taken advantage of over cosmetic items, and just like in High School some kids are going to have nicer shoes and cooler cars than you do.

If you're answer is to not allow them to have those things because it hurts your self esteem then you are messed up.
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

• DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a simple question and even simpler answer. People buy it at that price. Thank you that is all.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's arbitrary why not just say Reds and Blues or Big Macs and Whoppers?

Anywho.....

It's interesting to be broad brushed as a cranky old fart by a generation that claims to be misunderstood and misrepresented, yet typical. It's also hilarious to label actually working for a better life as suffering, but also typical.

And not all change is good change just ask the democratic republic in Germany when their Millennial's started making noise...odd thing about that they had a lot of the same ideas as this current crop.

The simple fact is you can't be taken advantage of over cosmetic items, and just like in High School some kids are going to have nicer shoes and cooler cars than you do.

If you're answer is to not allow them to have those things because it hurts your self esteem then you are messed up.

Well it looks like you're one of the many who will hear want they want to hear, not what I was actually saying. I'll just leave this here as a warning to everyone else.

For reference:
    • I never said that (I presume you're referring to millennials and baby boomers) millennials and baby boomers are arbitrary, or arbitrarily chosen for my metaphor. That's kind of the thing with metaphors - you can't say something is like "algae and oligarchs" when you really mean "apples and oranges", because then the metaphor might not hold up (or make any sense to begin with).
    • Marginis wrote: »
      ...it's as unfair to say that all millenials are lazy as it is to say all baby boomers are cranky old farts...
      ...is the exact opposite of broad brushing an entire generation as lazy old farts. It's saying that broad brushing like that is unfair, or in simple terms, BAD.
    • It's also pretty clearly not calling you a cranky old fart, because as was implied, I think it's BAD to paint with a broad brush like that.
    • Wait what? Are you likening millennials to Nazis because they both wanted to change things? Well in that case, we're all like Nazis because we all breathe air, or, to be reciprocal, baby boomers are like Nazis because they both went to war. I hesitate to even point out why this doesn't make sense. Suffice to say, breathing air does not mean you are a ***.
    • Saying that you cannot be taken advantage of by cosmetic items is like saying you cannot be taken advantage of by casinos. Yes, you can. Some people are good at defending themselves from being taken advantage of, but that does NOT mean that things cannot be used to take advantage of others.
    • Actually, that last point is okay. If you think the proper response to something JUST hurting your self-esteem is to ban or censor it, you're probably blowing things way out of proportion.

...But I don't think most of the people here - or any reasonable people, anyway - are trying to eliminate player housing.
    Edited by Marginis on May 11, 2018 9:48PM
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Broyston wrote: »
    I will be buying (unfurnished). I have ESO+ and so get my crowns from that, and don't buy mounts, pets or costumes. So it is better to spend it on something I like (houses) than have tens of thousands of crowns I would never otherwise use sat building up.

I'm sitting on 10k crowns right now with no interest in any cosmetics. I can still buy the merchant. I have 15 characters already. I don't own the dungeon DLCs and will likely never buy them. I don't own CC, but I could see myself buying it on a 75% discount one day.

I don't sub year round, but I do sub a few times a year, especially when a chapter drops, because I am a hoarder. So I will continue to accumulate crowns that are pretty useless to me. If I had an interest in housing and subbed more regularly, I could be in the same boat as you.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They can charge it because someone is daft/rich/determined enough to buy it

Correction........ pay for acces to it, you categorically do not own it

Edited by Integral1900 on May 11, 2018 10:08PM
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hokiewa wrote: »
    Mureel wrote: »
    At the end of the day: it's no one else's business.

Buy it if you want, don't if you don't.

At the end of the day people are gonna pay so ZOS is gonna sell.

It's good for the game as a whole, and frankly if you can't afford/don't want to spend out on some pixels, then don't.

The business of saying it's just a bunch of pixels whilst simultaneously being salty about the price of a bunch of pixels isn't logical.

Either you want it or not, then you can buy it or not.

Don't assign zero value to it whilst complaining that it's too expensive because you want it, even though as also pointed out, it is essentially useless.

It's a luxury (as so many have pointed out) so you can afford luxuries or you can't/won't.

That's the end of it.

Spot on. I'm always amazed at how salty people get about other people and how they spend their hard earned money...The judgement is unreal and reeks of something else entirely

As an owner of a few of these it's very irritating when others apply THEIR spending limits on another and claim we have more money than sense. Just how do you think we acquired our wealth?
    Edited by Sevn on May 11, 2018 10:15PM
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • MajesticHaruki
    MajesticHaruki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They only need a few hundred victims and the business becomes profitable.
    PC/EU @MajThorax Sorcerer and Housing Decorator prodigy
    In my spare time I collect materials and run away from mudcrabs
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The networks may have built the infrastructure, but they only paid for some of it. The internet infrastructure in the U.S. is subsidized. The subsidies for fiber are estimated to be nearly half a trillion dollars to date.

Good Will Cost

Good will is usually compensated by the consumers attracted by the reseller (including through marketing expenditures), as well as an access charge above cost. In many parts of Europe this is not the case, because access is provided at-cost. But in those cases, the government generally built the infrastructure. The U.K. is a good example.

Providers are also granted an amount of control over reseller activities to protect goodwill.

$250M Development Cost

The last figure to be bandied about at release was $300M. It doesn't really change the picture. ESO is beyond the $600M range at this point, and might be pushing $750M.

Pre-release Development Included Morrowind

Let's baseline the discussion on the fact that cut and paste housing is the tip of the iceberg. The cut and paste housing was developed around release, with everything else, up through Morrowind. If you want proof, there is an early convention video where ZoS shows off Morrowind on Youtube.

Conservative revenue Numbers

At the time the Morrowind DLC came out, Bethesda reported 10,000,000 game units sold and 2.5M active users.

Box sales. Let's say that ZoS received only $10 a copy for those 10M.

Subscriptions: Let's be very conservative and say that less than half of active users subscribed over the last three years. Heck, let's call it 1M. Let's use that $10 figure for the average amount of money ZoS made per month on each subscription. So, 1M x 36 months x $10.

You see where I am going with this?

We haven't touched "chapter" sales or crown store revenue.

As to crown store sales, I don't meet the definition of a whale, and yet I personally have spent at least 3x the amount of money that I spent on everything else related to ESO, in the store. And I have been a continuous subscriber on multiple accounts since early release AND I buy the DLCs even though I am a subscriber. Some whales spend thousands of dollars on crown crates to get one mount...

Ok, so that's all for the 3 years leading up to February of 2017. Steam reported ESO as a gold tier best seller for all of 2017. You can only buy the base game on Steam in package deals, the cheapest currently being $30.

That's probably enough to make my point for even the biggest 'ZoS needs money' poster.

Of course, competition theory is not limited to staples. So your point is lost on me. Societies make rules to benefit the entire population.

There is no segment of the market that does not benefit from competition. Aside from certain libertarian sects, no political party believes competition can be bad. Oh, sure, politicians receiving significant donations from telecoms used to make arguments that infrastructure providers won't make investments if they have to permit access. They no longer make those arguments because last mile countries not only dominate the top 10 for consumer access penetration and average internet speeds, they also provide consumers the greatest amount of choice.

The U.S. is not on the top 10 of any of those three metrics.

Edited by Wreuntzylla on May 11, 2018 11:14PM
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The networks may have built the infrastructure, but they only paid for some of it. The internet infrastructure in the U.S. is subsidized. The subsidies for fiber are estimated to be nearly half a trillion dollars to date.

Good Will Cost

Good will is usually compensated by the consumers attracted by the reseller (including through marketing expenditures), as well as an access charge above cost. In many parts of Europe this is not the case, because access is provided at-cost. But in those cases, the government generally built the infrastructure. The U.K. is a good example.

Providers are also granted an amount of control over reseller activities to protect goodwill.

$250M Development Cost

The last figure to be bandied about at release was $300M. It doesn't really change the picture. ESO is beyond the $600M range at this point, and might be pushing $750M.

Let's baseline the discussion on the fact that cut and paste housing is the tip of the iceberg. The cut and paste housing was developed around release, with everything else, up through Morrowind. If you want proof, there is an early convention video where ZoS shows off Morrowind on Youtube.

At the time the Morrowind DLC came out, Bethesda reported 10,000,000 game units sold and 2.5M active users.

Subscriptions: Let's be very conservative and say that less than half of active users subscribed over the last three years. Heck, let's call it 1M. Let's use that $10 figure for the average amount of money ZoS made per month on each subscription. So, 1M x 36 months x $10.

As to crown store sales, I don't meet the definition of a whale, and yet I personally have spent at least 3x the amount of money that I spent on everything else related to ESO, in the store. And I have been a continuous subscriber on multiple accounts since early release AND I buy the DLCs even though I am a subscriber. Some whales spend thousands of dollars on crown crates to get one mount...

Ok, so that's all for the 3 years leading up to February of 2017. Steam reported ESO as a gold tier best seller for all of 2017. You can only buy the base game on Steam in package deals, the cheapest currently being $30.

That's probably enough to make my point for even the biggest 'ZoS needs money' poster.

Of course, competition theory is not limited to staples. So your point is lost on me. Societies make rules to benefit the entire population.

There is no segment of the market that does not benefit from competition. Aside from certain libertarian sects, no political party believes competition can be bad. Oh, sure, politicians receiving significant donations from telecoms used to make arguments that infrastructure providers won't make investments if they have to permit access. They no longer make those arguments because last mile countries not only dominate the top 10 for consumer access penetration and average internet speeds, they also provide consumers the greatest amount of choice.

Good Will Cost

$250M Development Cost

ummm quoting the wrong guy sport

― Robert E. Howard

• MTijhuis
    MTijhuis
    ✭✭✭
    I get why you are curious who and why people buy digital houses for 150$. Afterall for a lot of people that is a lot of money.

Am one of the people that bought a crown store exclusive house. Unless what some people in topic suggest, I am no whale. For me 150$ is also a lot of money. The reason I decide to buy the house, is due to entertainment eso brings. It's my hobby and I spent most of my spare time on this game. I don't go out or buy insane amounts of clothes what most people of my age do. I play video games.

I have been playing this game close to a year now, almost daily. I have bought the base game, a crownstore house, both physical collector editions and I have my monthly sub. So in total I have spent 550$, that's 45$ a month or around 11$ a week. How much do you spent on stuff that you don't really need, but enjoy?

Don't get me wrong I agree that the items in the crownstore are expensive. And I would buy more if the prices were cheaper. I think that if Zos lower the crownstore prices, they will get a higher overall profit.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm skeptical of 1M subs over 3 years. The majority of purchasers barely played the game, just like most games these days. I'm an active player, but I sub maybe 25% of the time since crafting bags were added. I would never consider voluntarily subbing pre-crafting bags apart from 3 months after launch. I'm not sure we have any idea how many users have been active for 3 years straight, let alone what percentage subbed.