The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How can they possibly charge $130-$150 for a house

• duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The interesting part is that..you don't actually own the things you buy in the game. You pomp your cash into something that exists so long the game continues. You can't just take the things and leave. When ESO dies.. so is your collection. But, well, of course, everyone assumes ESO is forever.

And so far... ESO housing is the most expensive decoration simulation EVAR!!!
    Edited by duendology on May 10, 2018 3:34PM
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    duendology wrote: »
    The interesting part is that..you don't actually own the things you buy in the game. You pomp your cash into something that exists so long the game continues. You can't just take the things and leave. When ESO dies.. so is your collection. But, well, of course, everyone assumes ESO is forever.

That's what I thought about Swg
  • themaddaedra
    themaddaedra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it goes like this:

Let's assume you have 10 customers; 1 whale, 6 casuals and 3 stingy ones. Now it's really hard to reach stingy people, so many companies just wouldn't aim that way. If you make a product for casual costumers and cost it $x, that'll bring you $6x, and 6 people to make happy. But if you make a product for whales and cost it $10x, that 1 whale is gonna bring you more money and you will have 1 person to make happy. And believe me most of the whales are already happy by spending $10x for an elite product while noone else can.

That's the perfect way of soaking cash. And i assume we all got to know how hungry ZoS is when it comes to cash :trollface:
    PC|EU
  • WembleyOTG
    WembleyOTG
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if anyone has checked out Star Citizen, and it's prices.. I believe the ships are $100s and the game is not even out of Alpha..

It's made millions and they have no finished game.. I played it for a day and had to refund my starter pack because it wasn't finished and as far as I could tell the ships all cost a lot of money.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I was gonna buy this... but unless the price drops it's a no from me :cry:
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BloodWolfe wrote: »
    Because people with more money than sense buy these things. No way I'm paying that much for something in a game when the same amount of money can buy me 2 AAA brand new games. ZOS is ridiculous but the people who buy it are even more so, so ZOS is capitalizing on people who can't control impulses.

I sometimes do trials with a guild when they are short a player or two. I've come to know by talking with them in Discord that most members in the guild are retired and many of them made good decisions while they were working. They now have the time and the funds to do pretty much whatever they want to do. These people are not ridiculous. They found something they enjoy and have the means to take full advantage of everything the game has to offer.

and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • N0TPLAYER2
    N0TPLAYER2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m still trying to figure out what makes this $130 bucks instead of $40-60. People are happy with mounts that are 1800-2500. 3500-4500 and people lose their minds. But when a house is 17,500 people defend it. Could you imaging a mount costing 15,000 crowns?

That’s my point is I don’t get the drastic jump in pricing. Any thoughts on that?
    Edited by N0TPLAYER2 on May 10, 2018 3:51PM
  • WembleyOTG
    WembleyOTG
    ✭✭✭

Happened to me in Marvel Heroes.. I had bought a lot of heroes and costumes.. including the $200 starter pack.. It's all gone now,, but I did have 1000s of hours of fun with it before it was gone...

But yes, everything goes away..

The way I look at it is it's $20-$25 for a movie (in canada without popcorn).. That's about 2 hours of enjoyment that goes away when done..

So games in canada cost $80 for a AAA game,, meaning I should get at least 8 hours out of the game for it to equal going to see a movie..

So if a house is $100 I would need to be in that house enjoying it for 10 hours for it to equal going to see a movie..

So I have to weigh if I think I can get those many hours out of something to make it worth buying..

(this house no I can't so I'm not buying, but the grotto , possibly)
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    N0TPLAYER2 wrote: »
    The new house - Princely Dawnlight Palace - costs 17,500 crowns to buy furnished.

Who can justify such a large price? I don’t see how the seller OR the buyer can reasonably defend these prices.

What planet are they on? And who is buying these homes?

If you’ve spent anywhere near this price on a house please explain the justification you made to do so. I just DONT get it. Even as a guild house, the game devs really shouldn’t be asking more than $15-$30 tops for these. They’re selling houses at 7x-8x the value of the base game plus dlc. It’s mind boggling to me.

i think the better question is why do you care how someone else spends their money ? if you dont want to pay that much for a house, dont.

• Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I said before , the marketing department seems to be a separate entity away from the creative side of ZoS with no fingers on the pulse of the community . Driven by profit only .
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new house - Princely Dawnlight Palace - costs 17,500 crowns to buy furnished.

Who can justify such a large price? I don’t see how the seller OR the buyer can reasonably defend these prices.

If you’ve spent anywhere near this price on a house please explain the justification you made to do so. I just DONT get it. Even as a guild house, the game devs really shouldn’t be asking more than $15-$30 tops for these. They’re selling houses at 7x-8x the value of the base game plus dlc. It’s mind boggling to me.

Umm.....

No one has to justify any purchase to random forum guy, because they aren't accountable to anyone but themselves.

These homes are selling at those prices at a really good clip I say that because coming from a large guild and knowing quite a few people that play I regularly visit the manor style homes...they seem to be the most popular ones.

Here's some advice; you do you and let others do themselves...if you don't like the price of something simply don't buy.
    Edited by Rain_Greyraven on May 10, 2018 6:13PM
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • Riptide
    Riptide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the Linchal Grand Manor.

Why?

I’ve been playing this game off and on since before the normal closed beta and see no end in sight, I enjoy the game, have loads left to do and content being continually created. It is far from perfect, but its my home base game and will continue to be for many years.

Second, Roman history is a hobby of mine. I took Latin several years and Rome’s history is a diversion of mine. The style of the home is Imperial, which is loosely Roman, in an area that reminds me loosely of my roots in Palermo, Sicily - a short drive from the real life Corleone.

It is more courtyard than anything, which I desire. I spend enough time in an office.

It has a pool of sorts.

I’ve also been a guild leader countless times in my life, of very large guilds. I’ve taken a break from that because of leadership time spent in the real world, but odds are good I’ll do it again one day.

And I have no desire for further homes.

And truth is the cost seems very reasonable to me. It isn’t gamblung, nor frivolous, but a long term investment that I enjoy, is useful, and has room to expand or to provide services to others.
    Esse quam videri.
  • N0TPLAYER2
    N0TPLAYER2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i think the better question is why do you care how someone else spends their money ? if you dont want to pay that much for a house, dont.

My comment just 3-4 above yours says I don’t care, I’m asking about why it’s priced at this price. Why not $40. Or $60. People complain about $30 mounts but defend the houses being $120-$150. I don’t understand the justification of the price. That’s my point of the discussion, and curious why others have seen the price and been like “that’s a good deal” when most of us see it’s an outrageous price.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m still trying to figure out what makes this $130 bucks instead of $40-60. People are happy with mounts that are 1800-2500. 3500-4500 and people lose their minds. But when a house is 17,500 people defend it. Could you imaging a mount costing 15,000 crowns?

That’s my point is I don’t get the drastic jump in pricing. Any thoughts on that?

It's a mount versus a plot of land.

It's a car vs a house

It's ok to have things that hit each kind of price point, inexpensive to luxury and in between.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hokiewa wrote: »
    Spot on. I'm always amazed at how salty people get about other people and how they spend their hard earned money...The judgement is unreal and reeks of something else entirely

I don't, personally, but I totally understand why other people do. If demand rises for more and more expensive things, companies will focus on producing more expensive items, and less on reasonably priced things. As a result it reduces options for reasonably priced items, and we suffer. Like it or not, we are impacted by other peoples' spending habits.

We are already seeing this in the game, with the lack of options for medium-sized housing in Summerset.
    Edited by BretonMage on May 10, 2018 6:23PM
  • Brigda
    Brigda
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on. I'm always amazed at how salty people get about other people and how they spend their hard earned money...The judgement is unreal and reeks of something else entirely

I also find it funny, having worked in software development for over 20 years, how these same salty people who don't pay for ESO+ don't seem to comprehend the cost of keeping development and support of a game like this going. They'll scream if new content isn't released, but they don't want to pay a single penny more than what they paid for the base game. Like, WHERE exactly do they think the funds for the day to day support as well as the development of additional DLCs, Chapters, content comes from? Looking at what my husband and I used to spend on other hobbies, this isn't even a dent. If you can't, well ok, but those of us who CAN and DO keep this game open. I don't want to see this one shuttered like SWG and many others.

I'll be in my new pool thankyouverymuch.
  • JaZ2091
    JaZ2091
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looked dull to me. Yeah it's grand, but there is no beach or creative outside area. Furnished is always lacking to spend crowns on and 14k crowns was surprisingly low. I thought it was going to be 18k unfurnished.
    Edited by JaZ2091 on May 10, 2018 4:53PM
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's totally understandable. It's even along the lines of the non-direct purchaseable radiant apex mounts. It just has a different effective price tag attached.

At the end of the day there is the underlying fear that future development will not include "shiny's" for your affordable price range.

We've come all the way from the "you have to be unemployed 24/7 grinder" to "you have to have a deep wallet" to get that shiny in the MMO industry. My simple summary here.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Syncronaut
    Syncronaut
    ✭✭✭

True it is expensive like hell. I am doing final touches now to my house before i will post in on forum. (mostly lack of gold to finish)
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    makreth wrote: »
    People who have gathered crowns over months through eso+ and don't know how to spend them ? But yeah for non-eso+, going ahead and buying crowns just for a house is a steal... :D the price is crazy.

It's actually cheaper to buy crowns seperately, even when they're not on sale, than it is to sub.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They can easily justify it because people will pay it.

And again, most of us have a pile of 50% off crowns so really its half that..
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Suppose it’s like anything, value is simply what someone is daft/rich/determined enough to be willing to pay. If your market is big enough it’s just a matter of patience. After all, sixty percent of all app sales are from less than one percent of customers. If like me you look at this price tag and go “god almighty, there is no way I’m paying that” then your simply not the target of the article
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why doesn't this place have a decent "princely" bedroom chamber?
    PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could spend 150 or more on a ball game, a night out at the club, [snip], a video poker machine, or any other number of things people routinely spend their cash on. I probably wouldn't buy it, but if somebody gets hours of enjoyment from decorating it, showing it off to their e-friends, making a crafting hall for their guild.... who am I to judge what they do with their time and money? ZOS charges a lot for it, because people will pay for it.

[Edited to remove inappropriate content]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on May 10, 2018 7:05PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say its terrible but if it was volkihar It could be 10x as much and I would still buy it with a smile on my face
    Self-proclaimed Vampire Lord, or in this case, Blood Sion. º,...,º
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a strange obsession about ZOS not getting paid in this community.

How much money could a person have made if they did something productive with the hours they have spent playing ESO? Even at minimum wage here in Canada($15/h), I could make enough money to pay for this house in 10 hours of work, that's only 2 short days of work. But, ten hours is nothing in the ESO grind, that might get you one character to 50 during a double XP event.

I am not trying to defend the pricing ZOS has implemented for housing, believe me I would love to pick up these houses for much less. But, there seems to be a strange disconnect in some players minds between the time they invest in this game and the money they invest.

In 10 hours at a minimum wage job, I could get 15,000 crowns.
    In 10 hours of doing crafting writs, I could get maybe 350,000-400,000 gold.
    How big of a house can we buy for 400k gold? Certainly nothing like the Princely Dawnlight.

I have probably spent 3000 hours playing ESO. At a minimum wage job I could have made $45,000 during that time. But suddenly I am supposed to be outraged at a 10 hour time investment for an in-game mansion? I also don't work for minimum wage, so it's more like 5hours of my time for access to a part of the game I really enjoy.

If I was a casual player and only played ESO a couple hours a week, sure, the price would be outrageous. But, if I only played ESO a few hours a week I wouldn't be buying a house that extravagant.
    [DC/NA]
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can't commit to regular playing hours so that I can join a raid guild or certain competitive PvP guilds.

I will never be on top of the leader boards.

I will never be emperor.

I often give my friends the short end of the stick when we are doing something and a call comes in, and off I go.

Why? I work too much, and even when I am not working, I have other responsibilities.

What I can do, however, is buy digital crap. As much as I want.

Fair trade?
  • Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was a bit taken back by the price as well. Despite a couple others being in that range as well, it never fails to catch me off guard.

It's a great home, I especially love the interior, imo the best interior they've released so far.

I love how it's got actual hallways and so many separated bedrooms with their own doorways instead of the usual open floorplan they do so often. It's laid out very nicely and the style looks nice.

But at that price, it's a tough pill to swallow. That's not only more then this game and an entire Chapter for a single house, that's basically TWO full priced Triple A games for just a house.

I'll probably cave an end up buying a Psijic Order house (Which I'm sure will be priced equally as exorbitant) as that's my biggest weakness I could see them releasing, but outside of that or a new Vivec City home, I don't see myself spending over 15k+ crowns on a single house.
    Edited by Vehlir on May 10, 2018 6:52PM
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos should fix the game instead of being Estate Agents /Realtors
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another point is that these virtual homes are veblen goods. They could charge 1,500 USD for a house, and many people would buy it, because of the perceived exclusivity. Why would someone buy a Bentley, when they could buy ten Kias for the same price and have ten times as many cars?

Edited by Jaraal on May 10, 2018 6:58PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.