The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now available.
Maintenance for the week of May 20:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 18:00 UTC (14:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Outfitting should have no gold cost for subscribers

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    @idk @Bevik

Wow you both sure do like coming back here for people who've quit the thread multiple times. I don't know why you come back to bang your head against the wall if the only feedback you can provide is "it is what it is". Go into the threads about combat balance and see how well that flies. I'm going to keep critiquing this system, as it's something I've been advocating for and it's so close to being perfect.

Funny thing is someone seems to want me to come back here. They keep tagging me. vtantws the response that somehow I don't understand has been interesting.
    Options
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The non-subscriber must be in a position to purchase the same items outside of a subscription.

no. they must not. i pay a monthly fee for my craft bag for example and i'll be damned if some freeloader can get it for free (excluding free trials). thats not the way to keep people subbing. ESO+ ->exclusive stuff.
    Options
  • Pastas
    Pastas
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't ESO+ have enough benefits as is?
    I mean, seriously.
    Unlimited crafting storage
    Double Bank and housing space
    Crowns every month
    Dyable Outfits
    Free access to non-chapter DLC

When does it stop being a bonus and start becoming an entitlement badge?

Did you say "Free", please explain how paying a fee equates to free. At the end of the day we get the craft bag and double inventory slots. The crowns and the access to DLC are on par with the cost. At this point those "Free" crowns and DLC's have cost me $360.00. I am happy to pay, I enjoy the game, but that is far from "Free".

So 1500 crown AND access to the DLC without using said crowns is on par with the ~2k crowns a non subscribe would have to buy to get the same DLC? What about the 6 FREE crown crates ZOS just gave out to ESO+ members not even a week ago?

Your definition of par is clearly different than mine.

Just subscribe and get all that free stuff

WARNING
    This post may Include horrible gramatical and orthographic errors
    Read on your own risk
    AD
    Dar'foo Stamblade Zorg-gro-Wurf DK tank Far-Datxo Templar healer Valmir Spellius Magsorc
    Randolf Omberic Magblade Felien Golas Magdk Faenor Oakwood Stamplar Sader Dustorm Stamsorc
    EP
    Do'Ragash Stamdk Caius Grachus Stamden Dalyne Narus Magplar
    DC
    Melkar Spellius Magden
    PC EU
    Options
  • DJ_TYR
    DJ_TYR
    ✭✭
    I feel the outfit design system should be free for ESO+ members. My wife & I have been playing for over a year now & we constantly talk about how we feel that the sub is starting to feel more like a burden than a benefit. The only real benefit that we feel we get is the crafting bag. & that really is more beneficial for crafters, which we are, & not so much for someone that doesn't craft.

I've read the posts for the benefits of a sub, but I honestly don't see it.

Double storage space for houses. Even w/ this supposed double storage space I still don't understand why there is only an 8 collectible furnishing limit for large houses. I'm constantly sacrificing pets, mounts, bankers, etc. just to get things that are used frequently in a large house. So to us, this isn't a benefit.

Free access to all DLC's. This isn't a benefit either. Yes we get free access but if we didn't sub, we would simply buy the DLC w/ crowns. There's even a plus if you buy the DLC w/ crowns that you do not get as a sub. Using the new CWC DLC as an example, if you purchase CWC w/ crowns you get a mount, XP scroll & a few other things for your purchase. We either get the DLC for free as a benefit to being a sub or we buy it & get the benefit of having all the included extras. Either way its a win win so, once again this isn't really a benefit to us either.

Free crown crates. I can't see how any one thinks this is a benefit. You don't get to choose what you want, your gambling w/ the hope you get that 1 or 2 items you really like from them. & in my case as well as many others, you usually wind up w/ an ungodly amount of potions that are just converted to gems that takes over a year to even accumulate enough to purchase what you want. For example, you want the Ra Gada motif from the current pack for 200 gems. By the time you have the 200 gems from the trash you get, the motif is gone & we're onto the new crate season. So no this isn't a benefit.

Like others have mentioned, there should be more incentive to become a sub & the outfit designer is the perfect tool to add more luster to becoming a sub. I have no problem buying additional outfit slots either from gold or crowns, but to charge use 1k gold for glass or xyvken costume piece is just absurd. I literally created a costume that would have cost me 11k. 11k for a costume? Really?

ZOS, I really hope that you rethink this through. There is people that think as we do and are asking for more of a benefit to being a sub. Currently, its not feeling so beneficial for being a sub.
    Options
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pastas wrote: »

I mean, seriously.
    Crowns every month
    Dyable Outfits

Did you say "Free", please explain how paying a fee equates to free. At the end of the day we get the craft bag and double inventory slots. The crowns and the access to DLC are on par with the cost. At this point those "Free" crowns and DLC's have cost me $360.00. I am happy to pay, I enjoy the game, but that is far from "Free".

So 1500 crown AND access to the DLC without using said crowns is on par with the ~2k crowns a non subscribe would have to buy to get the same DLC? What about the 6 FREE crown crates ZOS just gave out to ESO+ members not even a week ago?

I'm already subscribed and feel the current bonuses for it are well enough as is but people will still feel entitled to every new thing that gets added to the game in 1 way or another.
    Argonian forever
    Options
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DJ_TYR wrote: »
    I feel the outfit design system should be free for ESO+ members. My wife & I have been playing for over a year now & we constantly talk about how we feel that the sub is starting to feel more like a burden than a benefit. The only real benefit that we feel we get is the crafting bag. & that really is more beneficial for crafters, which we are, & not so much for someone that doesn't craft.

I've read the posts for the benefits of a sub, but I honestly don't see it.

Double storage space for houses. Even w/ this supposed double storage space I still don't understand why there is only an 8 collectible furnishing limit for large houses. I'm constantly sacrificing pets, mounts, bankers, etc. just to get things that are used frequently in a large house. So to us, this isn't a benefit.

Free access to all DLC's. This isn't a benefit either. Yes we get free access but if we didn't sub, we would simply buy the DLC w/ crowns. There's even a plus if you buy the DLC w/ crowns that you do not get as a sub. Using the new CWC DLC as an example, if you purchase CWC w/ crowns you get a mount, XP scroll & a few other things for your purchase. We either get the DLC for free as a benefit to being a sub or we buy it & get the benefit of having all the included extras. Either way its a win win so, once again this isn't really a benefit to us either.

Free crown crates. I can't see how any one thinks this is a benefit. You don't get to choose what you want, your gambling w/ the hope you get that 1 or 2 items you really like from them. & in my case as well as many others, you usually wind up w/ an ungodly amount of potions that are just converted to gems that takes over a year to even accumulate enough to purchase what you want. For example, you want the Ra Gada motif from the current pack for 200 gems. By the time you have the 200 gems from the trash you get, the motif is gone & we're onto the new crate season. So no this isn't a benefit.

Like others have mentioned, there should be more incentive to become a sub & the outfit designer is the perfect tool to add more luster to becoming a sub. I have no problem buying additional outfit slots either from gold or crowns, but to charge use 1k gold for glass or xyvken costume piece is just absurd. I literally created a costume that would have cost me 11k. 11k for a costume? Really?

ZOS, I really hope that you rethink this through. There is people that think as we do and are asking for more of a benefit to being a sub. Currently, its not feeling so beneficial for being a sub.

https://youtu.be/-JvtlB_NzI8[/vid]
    Argonian forever
    Options
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, seriously.
    Crowns every month
    Dyable Outfits

I'm already subscribed and feel the current bonuses for it are well enough as is but people will still feel entitled to every new thing that gets added to the game in 1 way or another.

@Silver_Strider

The consensus last year when they changed the ESO+ benefits was that more systems were needed to make up for the value lost. You might have been find with it, but the community reaction was overwhelmingly negative, to the point that ZOS made a stickied thread in the Crown Store subforum asking for input about how to add value to ESO+. Nobody cares that you're fine with paying more for less, the rest of us expect something to make up for what was lost.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, seriously.
    Crowns every month
    Dyable Outfits

@Silver_Strider

The consensus last year when they changed the ESO+ benefits was that more systems were needed to make up for the value lost. You might have been find with it, but the community reaction was overwhelmingly negative, to the point that ZOS made a stickied thread in the Crown Store subforum asking for input about how to add value to ESO+. Nobody cares that you're fine with paying more for less, the rest of us expect something to make up for what was lost.

Not sure how the consensus was determined. Being that it's very much seemed the chapter did well, especially since Zos is sticking with the chapters the only way one could actually determine the true effects would be seeing a decline of subscriptions.

The forums is not a good place to determine the consensus. Besides, I'm not that concernsd about an 800 gold cost. If something is added to ESO+ I'd prefer it be an armory. Much more beneficial.
    Options
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I mean, seriously.
    Crowns every month
    Dyable Outfits

@Silver_Strider

Where's your data to back up this "consensus"?

People on the forums were upset, sure but the forums only show a minority group and without actual physical data to back up your statement, it's little more than your opinion.

I deal with facts and figures and unless ZOS releases their Sub number before and after that announcement, we have neither of those and every statement to sway the argument based on such is otherwise hearsay.
    Argonian forever
    Options
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Besides, I'm not that concernsd about an 800 gold cost. If something is added to ESO+ I'd prefer it be an armory. Much more beneficial.
    You keep saying "800 gold cost," but that's cherry picking a best-case scenario. None of the outfits I've created on the PTS were as cheap as 800 gold--and even if you keep your costs down to around 5,000 per outfit, the costs can add up quickly if you're trying out different combinations.
    Options
  • Donari
    Donari
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even though I have very limited gold, and don't buy crowns other than via my sub, I'm fine with it costing gold to apply new looks and crowns to get more options per alt. I admit that I've somewhat settled into each alt having a particular look these days, so I personally don't feel the need to change things up a few times a day.

It's the dyeing that should be free to subs (if not to everyone, but I think the marketing folks might be more sold on it if it only goes to already-paying customers). It seems a good compromise. If you want to actually swap out shapes, pay the cost. But to just repaint what you have, thus giving it some flexibility depending on what you're doing while wearing it -- why does that have to cost gold when no other dyeing does?
    Options
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    opaj wrote: »
    Besides, I'm not that concernsd about an 800 gold cost. If something is added to ESO+ I'd prefer it be an armory. Much more beneficial.
    You keep saying "800 gold cost," but that's cherry picking a best-case scenario. None of the outfits I've created on the PTS were as cheap as 800 gold--and even if you keep your costs down to around 5,000 per outfit, the costs can add up quickly if you're trying out different combinations.

@opaj

They're just trolling, don't pay them any mind. They've "quit" the thread on multiple occasions and legit can't be reasoned with. They aren't worth your time.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Options
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, seriously.
    Crowns every month
    Dyable Outfits

@Silver_Strider

People on the forums were upset, sure but the forums only show a minority group and without actual physical data to back up your statement, it's little more than your opinion.

I deal with facts and figures and unless ZOS releases their Sub number before and after that announcement, we have neither of those and every statement to sway the argument based on such is otherwise hearsay.

@Silver_Strider

Looking at sub numbers wouldn't even be beneficial, though, as those change regularly for a variety of reasons. Instead, we can look at qualitative data like the public outcry and resulting adding of value to ESO+. For example, the double bank space was not added until well after the public outcry resulting in ZOS' Official Thread looking for ideas on how to up the value of ESO+. And as Rich Lambert said on the last ESO Live (in the chat box) they're always looking for ways to improve ESO+. Honestly I don't know how you can get more cause and effect than that, though I understand you may not have yourself seen the threads or put the pieces together. It's easy to compartmentalize on the forums and only see a little piece of what's going on.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Options
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I mean, seriously.
    Crowns every month
    Dyable Outfits

@Silver_Strider

@Silver_Strider

Looking at sub numbers wouldn't even be beneficial, though, as those change regularly for a variety of reasons. Instead, we can look at qualitative data like the public outcry and resulting adding of value to ESO+. For example, the double bank space was not added until well after the public outcry resulting in ZOS' Official Thread looking for ideas on how to up the value of ESO+. And as Rich Lambert said on the last ESO Live (in the chat box) they're always looking for ways to improve ESO+. Honestly I don't know how you can get more cause and effect than that, though I understand you may not have yourself seen the threads or put the pieces together. It's easy to compartmentalize on the forums and only see a little piece of what's going on.

It's not so much that I haven't seen them but rather that I feel that, currently, ESO+ provides plenty of great incentives that people try to undervalue just to justify asking for more benefits. Sure, when optional subbing was first established ESO+ was a crock with very superficial benefits that had limited use once everything was said and done but as of today, the benefits, at least IMO, are well worth the subscription.
    Argonian forever
    Options
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, seriously.
    Crowns every month
    Dyable Outfits

@Silver_Strider

@Silver_Strider

It's not so much that I haven't seen them but rather that I feel that, currently, ESO+ provides plenty of great incentives that people try to undervalue just to justify asking for more benefits. Sure, when optional subbing was first established ESO+ was a crock with very superficial benefits that had limited use once everything was said and done but as of today, the benefits, at least IMO, are well worth the subscription.

And you're free to feel that way, but losing out on a DLC every year for most of us means needing new systems every year to make up for it. Plus we'd already lost DLC in previous years from stuff like One Tamriel rebranding, which while they were fantastic weren't actually tied to ESO+ at all.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Options
  • DJ_TYR
    DJ_TYR
    ✭✭
    And let's not forget w/ the new business model, everyone including subs, will need to spend an additional 30 dollars or more for the new chapters.

Options
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to chime in again - while I, personally, could live with a gold fee, I'm also one of those players who is in multiple trade guilds and has several million gold in the bank. A new player? Or maybe someone who hasn't focused on Motif collection because it hasn't been all that useful up to now?

I'm going to walk through this as if I were a player without easy access to a trade guild (and by extension gold) who doesn't craft much and thus doesn't have any Motifs learned. My hypothetical self obviously cares about appearances, but prior to this has gotten by with guildie-crafted armor, costumes, and disguises. So very little personal Motif knowledge. But the armor means I have to pay for mats, and the costumes mean I have to spend real money, and the Outfit system looks like it'll be cheaper.

IF my hypothetical self is happy to stick with the base race motifs, plus Daedric, Ancient Elf, Primal, and Barbaric, then my expenses will be minor. The four purples run about 500* gold each, and they're all in book (not page) format, so that's 500 gold for each entire Motif. Then about 150 gold each for the base race Motifs. So (500*4) + (150*8) (remember that you get your character's race's Motif automatically) = 3,200 gold for the lot. If I'm happy with just those, great! I'm probably set for gold.

But say my hypothetical self is not happy with the original game Motifs. I've played for long enough that I find them boring, I've seen them on NPCs too much and I want to look unique, or I'm bothered by the fact that they are by and large painted on. Or maybe I have a movie hero I want to mimic, whose outfit doesn't match any of the base races. Whatever the reason, the base game Motifs won't cut it.

Off the top of my head, the absolute cheapest of the non-original-base-game Motifs is Mercenary, which runs about 500 - but that's per page. Now recall that there are 14 pages in a Motif. So 7,000 gold for the entire thing. Celestial? About 2k per page, so 28,000 for the entire thing. I want something else? Something rarer so I stand out more? Something with light armor that doesn't look exactly like a dress?

There's a Yokudan page sitting in the non-hypothetical bank waiting for the patch to drop. Its light armor variant looks awesome! It MM's at about 20k right now. For one page. Ditto for the Trinimac page. And an Ashlander page that's a little better from the buyer's perspective - about 9k. And Stars help you if you want a character decked out in Bloodforge! 32k for a page there.

Now, IF my hypothetical self just wants to hide an ugly monster set and maybe remove the red from both weapon slots, maybe I'm willing to pay 40k for two pages of Yokudan. And if I only want this one Motif and only have one character I want to Outfit - or I want them all to use the same Motif in the same slots, because all the rest are wearing ugly monster sets too - it would probably be worth my time to spend a few real-life days robbing Daggerfall. (Assuming one character, but with maxed out Trafficker, and only turning in Green or better items = about 14k/day. One could aim higher, but going for all blues and above will bring with it an increase in time spent stealing.) But then my hypothetical self is only getting the very minimal amount of use out of the system; even counting the dye I'm putting on my weapons I'm using less than half the slots. I might as well be using a costume or disguise in that case; it would be cheaper and more time efficient to put an existing costume on and just dye the weapons. If I actually want to make full use of the outfit system and use every slot?

20k * 14 = 280k for the whole of Yokudan, or 140k if I just buy the armor pieces. There are medium sized houses in that price range. And that's one Motif. Not the most expensive either! And since I'm dropping it on a Motif, it's not going towards potions, or better gear, or repair kits.

Now, you could do like my non-hypothetical self did and collect most of the pages you want personally. But I hope you enjoy the content that drops it in that case; you'll be doing it a lot. The more expensive ones tend to be harder to get; Celestial is cheapish because there are three Trials that drop it, and lots of people run them, so you can get three pages per character per week fairly easy. But most of the Motif-content doesn't have a guaranteed drop. Trinimac doesn't. Ashlander doesn't. And a lot of these are dailies, so you can't just dump a weekend of farming into it and be done. You're going to be spending multiple real-life days doing this even if you have more than one character doing the content. And again, Stars help you if you want the pages from Bloodforge, Mazzatun, Silken Ring, or Falkreath.

And if you're like @Recremen and you already have most of these Motifs, then you already spent 140-280k for your Yokudan or killed a man-eating troll every day for several weeks straight.

And you haven't even paid for your Outfit yet.

Now, as mentioned, there are cases where you can use the system and not break the bank. But it is naive to think that those cases make up the majority of the player base. Character customization is a big part of this game and that means it should be accessible. Dumping extra fees on top of a 140-280k price tag does not make it more accessible, and if it became a little more accessible to people who are consistently pumping ~$15/month into this game, that's a step in the right direction.

*Prices are for PC NA.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    opaj wrote: »

5k is still low. It's a one time fee for setting the outfit the. Zero cost each time one changes to that outfit.

I've pointed out very clearly that your intentions for using the system is different that Zos' intended design and what most really want.

Instead of speaking to what you really want you are merely going about it via a back Dior which is why your support is rather small. But hey, keep talking about the cost if you want. Your choice.
    Options
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d pay 2 million gold for the craftbag and it would probably pay for itself within a month. It would take longer for some to get that back, but others would get it back much quicker. Plus members can continue farming and fighting instead of going to the bank. You can go to the bank instead of like logging in to mules. There are too many food mats to auto-loot dungeons. So with plus, I grab anything and everything and eventually an expensive recipe pops up. Without plus, I just don’t loot crates and bags. The direct 10% extra gold is a trinket compared to the actual gold advantage of being a member. I’ll never be against other people getting things and I can’t begin to wrap my head around how rampant that is on this board. So if plus members get this, I’ll be happy for you and enjoy the fact that it will encourage less people to use the free in game costumes. I just want there to be a clear understanding of the gold advantage available to plus members. It’s huge.
    Options
  • o_0anojam0_o
    o_0anojam0_o
    Soul Shriven
    Non-"outfit" equipment & costumes can be dyed for free still right. Just the saved Outfits cost to dye. Still. Pricey.
    Edited by o_0anojam0_o on March 16, 2018 3:55AM
    Options
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There needs to be a barrier that makes us consider cost/benefit when creating an outfit, or everyone and his dog will be wearing one. Then there's little point left in costumes/motifs/crafting/etc. A not-outrageous gold cost is a reasonable way of making us decide between costume, outfit, and crafted armour. I think they pitched the costs at about the right point to achieve that.
    Options
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    There needs to be a barrier that makes us consider cost/benefit when creating an outfit, or everyone and his dog will be wearing one. Then there's little point left in costumes/motifs/crafting/etc. A not-outrageous gold cost is a reasonable way of making us decide between costume, outfit, and crafted armour. I think they pitched the costs at about the right point to achieve that.

@ghastley

Everyone and their dogshould be wearing an outfit if it's what they want to wear. There is no need to do a cost-benefit analysis or jump through hoops if you feel like using an outfit that day. Costumes are still there, still good, and still irreplaceable because they achieve looks you can't get with motifs. As for crafting, the entire point of the outfit system was because crafted armor was aesthetically inadequate the vast majority of the time. Also, did you really just say there's no point in motifs? You know you need to learn the motif to use a crafted style, right? That's cost enough right there. A single barrier to entry, then free forever, just like costumes and every other cosmetic system in the game.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Options
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree!

Outfitting pretty much replaces dying armour. Why dye armour when you can go the outfit route?

If Outitting replaces the dye armour situation, then that kinda mutes the whole bonus for ESO+ members.

Make outfitting free for ESO+, now THAT's a good incentive to attract more members!
    Options