The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Hammerdeath Arena?

Raudgrani
Raudgrani
✭✭✭✭✭
I guess this has been brought up before, but it doesn't hurt to do it again.

Hammerdeath Arena in Stormhaven, obviously a place meant for dueling - why don't people go there? Why are these "duelists" hanging around the wayshrine in Mournhold and other major cities, literally harassing random people with dueling invites, and more or less draining server power by dueling in these probably already overloaded areas? And I mean, standing among guild traders while 4-5 couple of people duel all around you? I mean, ffs... It's really, really annoying. Frankly, I don't think you should even be able to duel inside city walls, it's pretty stupid really.

I duel once in a while, sometimes I do it with some friends, but I don't really fancy random duel invites (I know I can turn it off, you don't need to tell me - but then I need to turn it ON if I want to do it) when I'm on my tank, my healer, my crafter or some PVE damage dealer. I mean, if I'm on my Battlegrounds/PVP toons, be my guest.

So: To all these eager duelists, why don't you hang around Hammerdeath Arena, you could duel for hours with likeminded people - instead of harassing low levels and random people busy with all sorts of things? Maybe that's part of the thing? Pick on easy unsuspecting targets? I noticed I rarely or hardly ever get any duel invites if I'm using some of these Battlegrounds titles, so I guess that's it. People generally like to win, and pick what they deem easy victims.

I'm sure quite some people don't even know about this arena place, but check it out and spread the word among duel enthusiasts. Many of us really wouldn't cry if we didn't need to see you around all these major city wayshrines, if you get my point.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because dueling with like-minded people who want to duel isn't the goal of the people who harass random and low level players with duel requests.

Picking on easy and unsuspecting victims is the goal.
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because dueling with like-minded people who want to duel isn't the goal of the people who harass random and low level players with duel requests.

Picking on easy and unsuspecting victims is the goal.

Yes, I guess that's pretty much it. I sometimes get challenged by other PVP minded people who usually whacks my *** in Cyrodiil, just because they want to rub it in. That's much the same thing I guess.
    If I'm on a new toon, like lvl 30, I get dueling invites all the time, If I'm on a PVP toon with like "The Merciless" or "Conquering Hero" title, weirdly enough - I hardly get any invites at all...
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This again...

Duelist hang around cities for the exact same reason everyone else does, it's not hard to figure out. I'll spell it out anyway;

1) Easy access to bank
    • Swap sets between toons.
    • Try different food/potions that only one toon can craft.
    • Depositing the million of decon materials from the Rewards of Worthless spam.

2) Easy access to craft stations
    • Upgrading gear on a promising build that you've been testing out 20 metres away.
    • Crafting new pot/food combinations.

3) Guild traders
    • So we can quickly put together a 5pc to see how it synergizes with a skill/set/passive and determine how accurate the tooltip is (probably not very).

4) A f#$%ing wayshrine
    • You like all the "amenities" being easy to port to, why would people who want to duel ride to the middle of bumf#$% nowhere to duel with nothing near by that helps facilitate changing gear/build?

Side Notes:
    • No one gives a rats behind about your "pro" BG title, apart from a few of the healing ones they can all be lucked.
    • Most people know about the arena, and it is used for orgainised dueling tournaments, but for random duels or short sessions it is highly inconvenient for all the reasons listed above.

Edited by Taylor_MB on March 11, 2018 11:09AM
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taylor_MB wrote: »
    This again...

Duelist hang around cities for the exact same reason everyone else does, it's not hard to figure out. I'll spell it out anyway;

1) Easy access to bank

• Upgrading gear on a promising build that you've been testing out 20 metres away.

3) Guild traders
    • So we can quickly put together a 5pc to see how it synergizes with a skill/set/passive and determine how accurate the tooltip is (probably not very).

4) A f#$%ing wayshrine
    • You like all the "amenities" being easy to port to, why would people who want to duel ride to the middle of bumf#$% nowhere to duel with nothing near by that helps facilitate changing gear/build?

Side Notes:
    • No one gives a rats behind about your "pro" BG title, apart from a few of the healing ones they can all be lucked.
    • Most people know about the arena, and it is used for orgainised dueling tournaments, but for random duels or short sessions it is highly inconvenient for all the reasons listed above.

All true. All true. I'm sure all of that also explains why I get spammed with duel invites while I'm waiting near the Undaunted Camp for my queue to pop. Because there are certain duelists for whom cities also give access to easy and unsuspecting victims.

Duel where you want with like-minded people, but leave me out of it, please. If I want to duel, I'll throw a gauntlet or something in chat.
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This again...

1) Easy access to bank

3) Guild traders

4) A f#$%ing wayshrine

Side Notes:

All true. All true. I'm sure all of that also explains why I get spammed with duel invites while I'm waiting near the Undaunted Camp for my queue to pop. Because there are certain duelists for whom cities also give access to easy and unsuspecting victims.

Duel where you want with like-minded people, but leave me out of it, please. If I want to duel, I'll throw a gauntlet or something in chat.

Auto decline = on

Your problem was solved before it even existed.

PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This again...

1) Easy access to bank

3) Guild traders

4) A f#$%ing wayshrine

Side Notes:

This is a great post. I've been saying this since dueling came out. People think duelers are some "look at me!" types or want to beat up random or low level people. While there are bound to be a few of those, most duelers just want to fight. They fight in cities, because as Taylor said, that is where *** is.

I'll add on to what is needed at Hammerdeath.

1. Undaunted conclave. Besides Hammerdeath being a place the undaunted would absolutely love, a lot of people like dueling while waiting for dungeons or waiting on friends to finish their damn crafting writ guantlet across all their characters so they'll finally be ready for pledges...

2. I'd like to see battlegrounds made a part of the base game and battleground vendors and such added to Hammerdeath.

Give PvPers a cool hangout spot with all the stuff they would normally need a town for and you'll see less dueling in town. And as a benefit, if you still see duelers in town, you can tell those scrubs to get their asses to where the real PvP players live.
    Edited by Luigi_Vampa on March 11, 2018 4:22PM
    PC/EU DC
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This again...

1) Easy access to bank

3) Guild traders

4) A f#$%ing wayshrine

Side Notes:

Auto decline = on

Your problem was solved before it even existed.

It's a bit annoying to be forced to turn it on, just to be able of doing it with your friends. Frankly, I am pretty positive that the whole idea behind dueling wasn't to stand at the wayshrine in Mournhold (etc.) and look for possible easy wins to randomly spam invites for dueling. I might be wrong, but it just doesn't feel right.
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This again...

1) Easy access to bank

3) Guild traders

4) A f#$%ing wayshrine

Side Notes:

This is a great post. I've been saying this since dueling came out. People think duelers are some "look at me!" types or want to beat up random or low level people. While there are bound to be a few of those, most duelers just want to fight. They fight in cities, because as Taylor said, that is where *** is.

1. Undaunted conclave. Besides Hammerdeath being a place the undaunted would absolutely love, a lot of people like dueling while waiting for dungeons or waiting on friends to finish their damn crafting writ guantlet across all their characters so they'll finally be ready for pledges...

2. I'd like to see battlegrounds made a part of the base game and battleground vendors and such added to Hammerdeath.

Give PvPers a cool hangout spot with all the stuff they would normally need a town for and you'll see less dueling in town. And as a benefit, if you still see duelers in town, you can tell those scrubs to get their asses to where the real PvP players live.

Seriously, how much do you "need" to do this? Saw someone mention crafting stations and what not, are people really doing that? Buying and improving pieces of armor at that very spot, just for experimental purposes? On a daily basis? And then challenge random people who pass by? At that, I don't think I know more than like 2 people who don't have their own banker - and standing near the wayshrine in Mournhold is hardly very close to the bank either, if it's the guild bank you're after.

I don't know how to put it in English, but "it smells a bit like bull**** here" to be honest.
    Edited by Raudgrani on March 11, 2018 6:02PM
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the client is already unstable enough without this massive design flaw. Appealing to other players to exercise some common sense isn't going to work. You'll just get stubborn responses from people who don't understand the performance issues it causes (or worse: don't care or intentionally duel there to cause others to DC, I hear these jerks laughing about it in area chat all the time). This is something game designers would have to fix, by blocking duels in cities, putting a wayshine at Hammerdeath, and adding the other amenities that duelers may need.
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Raudgrani wrote: »
    This again...

1) Easy access to bank

3) Guild traders

4) A f#$%ing wayshrine

Side Notes:

Seriously, how much do you "need" to do this? Saw someone mention crafting stations and what not, are people really doing that? Buying and improving pieces of armor at that very spot, just for experimental purposes? On a daily basis? And then challenge random people who pass by? At that, I don't think I know more than like 2 people who don't have their own banker - and standing near the wayshrine in Mournhold is hardly very close to the bank either, if it's the guild bank you're after.

I don't know how to put it in English, but "it smells a bit like bull**** here" to be honest.

It is more of a way to get PvPers to gather in one spot. So how about giving them the space with the things they need? You ask duelers why they don't use Hammerdeath arena and when we give you reasons why, you think we're are full of ***?

Duelers don't use Hammerdeath because there is nothing there. The wayshrine isn't very close, no bank, no guild traders, no merchants, no crafting tables, nothing. All those reasons PvEers go to towns, for basic utilty, PvPers need too. People do sometimes hold dueling tourneys there, but most dueling isn't some super organized and preplanned event. For impromptu dueling, do you really expect people to hang out in the middle of nowhere hoping to find someone to fight? Do you want an actual solution for dueling in cities, or do you just want to whine about how hard it is to turn auto decline on and off.
    Edited by Luigi_Vampa on March 11, 2018 8:22PM
    PC/EU DC
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This again...

1) Easy access to bank

3) Guild traders

4) A f#$%ing wayshrine

Side Notes:

It is more of a way to get PvPers to gather in one spot. So how about giving them the space with the things they need? You ask duelers why they don't use Hammerdeath arena and when we give you reasons why, you think we're are full of ***?

Duelers don't use Hammerdeath because there is nothing there. The wayshrine isn't very close, no bank, no guild traders, no merchants, no crafting tables, nothing. All those reasons PvEers go to towns, for basic utilty, PvPers need too. People do sometimes hold dueling tourneys there, but most dueling isn't some super organized and preplanned event. For impromptu dueling, do you really expect people to hang out in the middle of nowhere hoping to find someone to fight? Do you want an actual solution for dueling in cities, or do you just want to whine about how hard it is to turn auto decline on and off.

I more of expect them not to hang out - literally - in the middle of a Wayshrine inside a well populated area. I ain't "giving them the space they need", if that's what they are asking. Some less left behind people do their dueling outside for example mournhold, just by the Undaunted enclave, which is fine. I still have no clue what you are supposed to do with banks, crafting tables and everything else if you are supposed to duel. I don't buy that. There just can't be a constant need to improve or buy gear just because you duel.
    It's likely more of pure laziness, and picking on easy targets. I bet some even do it right there just to be a pain in the *** as well. There are not exactly any shortage of spoiled brats without manners.
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This again...

1) Easy access to bank

3) Guild traders

4) A f#$%ing wayshrine

Side Notes:

I more of expect them not to hang out - literally - in the middle of a Wayshrine inside a well populated area. I ain't "giving them the space they need", if that's what they are asking. Some less left behind people do their dueling outside for example mournhold, just by the Undaunted enclave, which is fine. I still have no clue what you are supposed to do with banks, crafting tables and everything else if you are supposed to duel. I don't buy that. There just can't be a constant need to improve or buy gear just because you duel.
    It's likely more of pure laziness, and picking on easy targets. I bet some even do it right there just to be a pain in the *** as well. There are not exactly any shortage of spoiled brats without manners.

They don't need the banks and such for only dueling. They need those things for the same reason all players need them. They duel in cities because that is where people are. They need other people to duel. If you give duelers a place where they can do their banking, crafting, shopping, trading, dungeon queueing etc... outside of a main city, they might do that. But as it stands since people hang out in cities because that is where they need to be for all those essential functions. So, that is where people who like dueling will hang out.

As I expected though, you have already made up your mind. You don't really care about why people don't go to Hammerdeath, you just want duelers out of your cities. You want to assume they are there for attention, or easy targets or just to troll. I don't know what PvPer packed you up and tbagged you, but there are legitimate reasons to duel in town

You asked why don't people who like dueling go to Hammerdeath. People who like dueling responded. You say they are lying and it must be they are lazy or trolls. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?
    PC/EU DC
  • del9
    del9
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you wrote this post after a single experience. Most 'duelers' seek out other good duelers. Unless there is a really high-stakes duel and they want to escape potential lag, they are going to convene in cities. It just makes sense.

Like previous poster said, looks like you've already made up your mind. You can put on auto-decline, or just decline the invites. I highly doubt this is actually a detriment to your quality of life.

But it makes me think about some forum posters, that they come here just to be a pain in the ***. I don't buy that this is actually a problem for you
    PCNA

• Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This again...

1) Easy access to bank

3) Guild traders

4) A f#$%ing wayshrine

Side Notes:

They don't need the banks and such for only dueling. They need those things for the same reason all players need them. They duel in cities because that is where people are. They need other people to duel. If you give duelers a place where they can do their banking, crafting, shopping, trading, dungeon queueing etc... outside of a main city, they might do that. But as it stands since people hang out in cities because that is where they need to be for all those essential functions. So, that is where people who like dueling will hang out.

As I expected though, you have already made up your mind. You don't really care about why people don't go to Hammerdeath, you just want duelers out of your cities. You want to assume they are there for attention, or easy targets or just to troll. I don't know what PvPer packed you up and tbagged you, but there are legitimate reasons to duel in town

You asked why don't people who like dueling go to Hammerdeath. People who like dueling responded. You say they are lying and it must be they are lazy or trolls. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

What I question, is that you have some sort of desperate need to access banks, crafting stations, guild traders, merchants and what not - for the sake of dueling. I call that BS. If it's - like you say - "that's where people are", I can understand it. But you are highly likely to encounter and challenge people who don't duel at all, and they will probably decline the invite, or (if it's a new player, which are the most likely to accept), you'll take their heads off in like 1½ seconds. Very funny. Must feel really great doing that, proving to yourself how good you really are.

The real question is, why are most people in Mournhold dueling at the wall near the Undaunted enclave (like 15 seconds away from the wayshrine) - where people who really do duel gather? Some persists in dueling AT the very wayshrine, which is annoying AF. It's all cool, I already know the answer: Dueling people who usually duel, is no fun at all to these guys.
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    del9 wrote: »
    Sounds like you wrote this post after a single experience. Most 'duelers' seek out other good duelers. Unless there is a really high-stakes duel and they want to escape potential lag, they are going to convene in cities. It just makes sense.

Like previous poster said, looks like you've already made up your mind. You can put on auto-decline, or just decline the invites. I highly doubt this is actually a detriment to your quality of life.

But it makes me think about some forum posters, that they come here just to be a pain in the ***. I don't buy that this is actually a problem for you

Well, then it seems like you are wrong. :-)
    I am rarely out among people with my PVP toons, they actually hardly leave my house except for Cyrodiil or Battlegrounds. The only toons I'm out among people with, are pure PVE toons or my crafter, and I don't accept duels with these - because obvious: I can't kill people on duel characters with Endless Hail, Caltrops, Deadly Cloak, Bloodthirst etc.

What made me write this post, was that I happened to stroll past Hammerdeath Arena the other day, and thought like "This place is so great. I will make it a saturday event with my guild sometime, to just go here and duel. Why are nobody using this place? When someone wants to whack someone's ***, they go like 'Likky Desert, now' instead, that's just weird. It's like nobody even know this place exist". That's why.
  • del9
    del9
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it was a waste of effort on ZOS's part. There are multiple threads on the 'arena'. If you read them it is not used for all the same reasons as mentioned in this thread. There are also posts about how it would be fun if it could actually be some kind of instanced, customizable arena or battleground.
    Edited by del9 on March 12, 2018 6:15PM
    PCNA

• gabriebe
    gabriebe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move the Undaunted there and add a wayshrine, problem solved for the most part.
    Former Empresses: Saliva Bortschion (MagBlade), Janet From Finance (PvP MagSorc), Carla Swagan (Tank DK), Estelle Born (StamBlade), Enya Arsenal (MagPlar), Anita Nurse (Magplar Healer), Bearback Brigitte (Magden), Rachel Justice (MagDK), Nicole From Payroll (Stamden), Bailiff Belinda (PvE MagSorc), Féline Dion (StamDK), Septic Tank Tina (Necro Tank)

The runts: The Trolly Spirit (Tank Sorc), Floods-Your-Basement (Warden Healer) Dinah Asthma (Magcro), Total Top Tony (Stamcro)

The traitor
    s: Janis Javelin (Stamplar, EP), Barbecue Becky (Magblade Healer, AD)

PvE: Gryphon Heart, Immortal Redeemer, Flawless Conqueror

GM: Animal Control

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess this has been brought up before, but it doesn't hurt to do it again.

Hammerdeath Arena in Stormhaven, obviously a place meant for dueling - why don't people go there? Why are these "duelists" hanging around the wayshrine in Mournhold and other major cities, literally harassing random people with dueling invites, and more or less draining server power by dueling in these probably already overloaded areas? And I mean, standing among guild traders while 4-5 couple of people duel all around you? I mean, ffs... It's really, really annoying. Frankly, I don't think you should even be able to duel inside city walls, it's pretty stupid really.

I duel once in a while, sometimes I do it with some friends, but I don't really fancy random duel invites (I know I can turn it off, you don't need to tell me - but then I need to turn it ON if I want to do it) when I'm on my tank, my healer, my crafter or some PVE damage dealer. I mean, if I'm on my Battlegrounds/PVP toons, be my guest.

So: To all these eager duelists, why don't you hang around Hammerdeath Arena, you could duel for hours with likeminded people - instead of harassing low levels and random people busy with all sorts of things? Maybe that's part of the thing? Pick on easy unsuspecting targets? I noticed I rarely or hardly ever get any duel invites if I'm using some of these Battlegrounds titles, so I guess that's it. People generally like to win, and pick what they deem easy victims.

I'm sure quite some people don't even know about this arena place, but check it out and spread the word among duel enthusiasts. Many of us really wouldn't cry if we didn't need to see you around all these major city wayshrines, if you get my point.

I'm with you!! Maybe if they out pledge boards and writ drop off points there they would.

It needs a movement, once a dueling population is there more would come. But its empty there so they won't./ dont
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gabriebe wrote: »
    Move the Undaunted there and add a wayshrine, problem solved for the most part.

Very good idea.