Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Veteran Banished Cells I HM - Soul Blast

• BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sjizzle wrote: »
    lol another player who wish dungeon nerfs.... what the hell ...u must be joking if u think that BC last boss is hard and u can not survive there.... and it's not the hardest non DLC 4 man dungeon there are plenty of harder dungeon with same 1 shot mechanics there ...BC is the easiest one

Putting a cast time on an ability that can one shot someone is not a nerf. Outside of DLC (which only scale on HM is hard) there isn't a single dungeon that is actually hard. I don't even know if hard is the right word. Stupid more like it.
    Edited by BuddyAces on March 10, 2018 5:39AM
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On most of my builds I run around 17-18k health and never have been one shot by this ability.

Is the tank beduffing the boss properly and what does your red CP tree look like?
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On most of my builds I run around 17-18k health and never have been one shot by this ability.

Is the tank beduffing the boss properly and what does your red CP tree look like?

With a good group, you won't get 1-shot. You'll have Maim on the boss, Ebon in the group, and enough CP to mitigate the damage.

But run this at 300 CP with a more typical group, and it's a 1-shot. A 1-shot that has no telegraph. In a tier-1 dungeon starter-zone that is available starting at CP10.

If you think that this is somehow good design, then please refute the points in the original post of this thread. Namely, why this ability is more punishing than those in ostensibly harder dungeons. Why this ability has no skillful counterplay.
    Edited by code65536 on March 10, 2018 6:41AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Sjizzle
    Sjizzle
    ✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

With a good group, you won't get 1-shot. You'll have Maim on the boss, Ebon in the group, and enough CP to mitigate the damage.

But run this at 300 CP with a more typical group, and it's a 1-shot. A 1-shot that has no telegraph. In a tier-1 dungeon starter-zone that is available starting at CP10.

If you think that this is somehow good design, then please refute the points in the original post of this thread. Namely, why this ability is more punishing than those in ostensibly harder dungeons. Why this ability has no skillful counterplay.

u can avoid that skill very easy... do not go there anymore and u wont get 1 shot... saw 300 CP players who didn't died there if u die there then is a problem on your side as i said u can avoid it...
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

u can avoid that skill very easy... do not go there anymore and u wont get 1 shot... saw 300 CP players who didn't died there if u die there then is a problem on your side as i said u can avoid it...

Sure, go PUG this dungeon with 300 CP and show me. I'll wait.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Sru
    Sru
    ✭✭✭
    pattyLtd wrote: »
    Really love tanking atm but it should be beneficial in at least all veteran dungeons which it not always is.
    It's fine that some dungeons can be done without a tank but at least make it so that it's always somewhat easier/favorable to bring a tank along and if it's nothing they breaking there own game IMHO.

Welcome to the world of healers :(
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep I don't know how many times I am fighting him, I know this thing is coming, I try to either block or move away but can't because my character is frozen and I have no choice but to take the hit. Not a big deal on normal but vet is often a one shot. Not good design in my opinion.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of those fights that really tests if your dps and healers are paying attention.

it can be brute forced with group damage shields (Did this a lot when I had a dragonknight tank built around spamming igneous shield every 2 seconds, before it got nerfed), but in most cases you just need your group to be on their toes.

If you're with sorceror DPS, they should be keeping hardened or empowered ward up. other magicka dps can use annulment.

Anyone who doesnt have a shield just needs to pay attention to the boss - when he does a heavy attack, he will immediately use soul blast afterwards. Just block after every heavy attack the boss does to ensure that if you do get hit by the blast, you wont get one shot.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Diddly_D_Potatoes
    Diddly_D_Potatoes
    ✭✭✭
    Tank just needs to keep heroic slash maim up ya?

Maybe the weakening enchant too?

I've done this on hard mode with people at sub 18k hp and no one has been one shot. Warrented I have also done it on hard mode with people at sub 18k hp and they were dropping left and right to the one shot.
    Edited by Diddly_D_Potatoes on March 11, 2018 6:08AM
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tank just needs to keep heroic slash maim up ya?

Maybe the weakening enchant too?

I've done this on hard mode with people at sub 18k hp and no one has been one shot. Warrented I have also done it on hard mode with people at sub 18k hp and they were dropping left and right to the one shot.

In my experience even with 18k+ health and maim on the boss, it can still one shot a DPS that isnt blocking or shielded. In those situations where players arent getting killed by soul blast, it's probably because they were blocking/dodging at the right time or had a shield up (whether on their own or from the healer).

Easiest way to handle this fight is with a DK tank (or healer) keeping igneous shield up 100% of the time.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    when he does a heavy attack, he will immediately use soul blast afterwards

Not always.

Soul Blast happens on a timer. It just so happens to often line up with the timings of his other abilities. But this is not a guarantee, but rather a matter of happenstance.

At the start of the fight, he'll typically do a heavy attack. Then a fire channel. Followed immediately by Soul Blast. Then another heavy attack. And then 2-3 regular attacks. And a Soul Blast that is not preceded by any special ability.

After those first two Soul Blasts, subsequent Soul Blasts will usually take place after a heavy attack or a fire channel. But this is not guaranteed. For example, if the tank moves the boss (which can happen if the tank doesn't kite out the fire circle and then moves to get out of the fire after the boss is no longer immobilized by that channel), then those seconds the boss spends moving can knock the timings of the mechanics out of their alignment, and you can see a Soul Blast happen in the middle of the boss's regular light attacks.

It is a useful rule of thumb, but not guaranteed, and in a PUG with an erratic tank that causes the boss to move too much, the timings can be off by a lot.
    Edited by code65536 on March 11, 2018 11:53AM

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well its HM for a reason, if the tank cannot do something as simple as debuffing the boss properly with minor maim then you shouldnt be trying HM.

I pugged vCoA2 the other day and the healer didnt understand why he needed to run elemental drain with two magicka dpsers. Even when I tried to explain he didnt use it so I ended up doing it as mNB. With such little understanding of the game I didnt even try HM because you know you’re gonna fail if someone doesnt know how to play his role.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well its HM for a reason, if the tank cannot do something as simple as debuffing the boss properly with minor maim then you shouldnt be trying HM.

I pugged vCoA2 the other day and the healer didnt understand why he needed to run elemental drain with two magicka dpsers. Even when I tried to explain he didnt use it so I ended up doing it as mNB. With such little understanding of the game I didnt even try HM because you know you’re gonna fail if someone doesnt know how to play his role.

LOL. This is a starter zone dungeon. This is literally one of the three dungeons that people are supposed to start with. So why is this untauntable, hard-hitting, CC'ing ability cast so quickly when a similar ability from Skoria in a much harder dungeon done with enough windup so that people can react (though people still don't react)?

Also, when I first made this thread right after One Tamriel, even with Maim, even with Ebon in group, even with a CP-capped player, even with the higher-health blue food that people used to use those days, it was about a couple hundred HP away from being a 1-shot. The CP revamp in Morrowind made the defensive stars stronger, so it's not quite as bad as before. But still not appropriate for a dungeon like this. If you don't have the defensive CPs of a capped player, it's a bloody 1-shot, even if the tank has Ebon and Maim.

Again, if you have all the things that you expect from a group running a vet DLC HM, you'll be fine--my preformed groups regularly no-death it. BUT THIS IS BANISHED CELLS I!

But whatever, 1-shots or near 1-shots are okay if people can react to it. You know, like how you can see Skoria casting his fireball. You can teach people to notice that tell and to dodge or block. You can't do that here. The only sensible way to avoid the damage entirely is to have run this place so much that you know the timing of his attack and can feel when it's coming. BUT THIS IS BANISHED CELLS I! Yes, I know the timing of this ability well enough that I can block it almost all the time, but who cares? I'm not the target audience of a dungeon like this. And it still doesn't change the core problem: That this is bad mechanical design.

You can't seriously say with a straight face that this is okay for a starter dungeon that's supposed to be the first step to people learning to do dungeons. Actually make a serious attempt at addressing the bullet points in the first post of this thread. Because at this point, I feel like I'm just rehashing and restating everything, to argue against people who are more concerned about waving their e-peen than about what a well-designed fight should look like. And it's getting to be rather tiresome.
    Edited by code65536 on March 11, 2018 11:47AM

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe he casts it immediately after performing a heavy attack. This follows a pattern with other enemies in the game that perform a powerful mechanic after a heavy attack. Others that come to mind are the Shadowguards in Maw of lorkhaj, they perform their Shadow slash directly after a heavy attack. As the tank I call out block to the group as he is charging up his heavy attack, and this gives them time to get their block up and not die to the soul blast.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mister_DMC wrote: »
    I believe he casts it immediately after performing a heavy attack. This follows a pattern with other enemies in the game that perform a powerful mechanic after a heavy attack. Others that come to mind are the Shadowguards in Maw of lorkhaj, they perform their Shadow slash directly after a heavy attack. As the tank I call out block to the group as he is charging up his heavy attack, and this gives them time to get their block up and not die to the soul blast.

This is not always true. See post #42.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Also, Drodda. As far as I have been able to tell, she just straight up ignores taunt entirely and blasts at whomever she wishes.

Yes, she does. Also her big red ground aoe is incredibly difficult for colorblind players to see. Could we get a patch for that, @ZOS_GinaBruno ? Some form of aid for the colorblind among us? :expressionless:

I thought there is. There's an option in settings to show all those red patches as bright yellow which is ridiculous easy to see. The devs used it in their latest stream

• profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agree with OP. Either reduce the dmge or make the telegraph longer and visible or interruptible even maybe
  • Sjizzle
    Sjizzle
    ✭✭✭
    lol use block after each heavy attack and u will be fine do not ask for nerfs it's only BC I... what the hell are u doing in DLC dungeons ?? which one are more brutal...
    or Vault of madness first boss which one drain your life in sec...
  • erlewine
    erlewine
    ✭✭✭
    one thing I found that helped in pugs was to keep up Weakening glyph debuff. Drops it from ~18k to ~12k.
    eisley the worst
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of damage abilities that comes with little or no telegraphs. ESO is already a very fast paced game with a billion things happening in group dungeons and group trials, where you can hardly see the clues you're supposed to look for.

Abilities like that should have a clear telegraph so the victim knows what to do, dodge roll or block or whatever.

I noticed the same with the First Mate Wavecutter boss in the Blackheart Haven dungeon. He/she does a very short channel before letting out a magic attack that hits all 4 group members HARD. The channel is interruptable, which is the main defense against it, but the channel is extremely short, even when you're right next to the boss, you often miss the interrupt. Also, the channel isn't telegraphed properly with the red lines that usually goes with a channel, which makes it even harder to miss.

Often have the group wiped or almost wiped at this boss in a PUG, purely due to that attack and its lack of telegraph as well as extremely short casting time.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol use block after each heavy attack and u will be fine do not ask for nerfs it's only BC I

Still trolling, I see. Maybe you missed the part that the timing of this ability is variable and that "after every heavy attack" is not guaranteed? L2Read.
    or Vault of madness first boss which one drain your life in sec...

The mechanic there is not obvious, but the dialog from the boss does give you a hint. When he starts the beam, he says, "Share in my pain." The damage from the beam is scaled off of the damage being done to the boss. Halt DPS when the beam comes out, and the beam does literally zero damage. The problem is that with lots of DoTs, you can't really halt damage easily. If you are seeking no-death in VoM, you either kill the boss before he does the beam (drop three ults on the boss plus a War Horn) or DPS the boss slowly with no DoTs so that it's easy to stop DPS. Either go extremely high DPS or extremely low DPS. Middling DPS--not fast enough to burn, but too fast to stop in time--will ruin no-death runs.
    Carbonised wrote: »
    I noticed the same with the First Mate Wavecutter boss in the Blackheart Haven dungeon.

The telegraph on that is fine. Even if you don't notice the red lines, the animation is distinct and looks nothing like anything else the boss does. The telegraph is long enough that I can even get it as a DPS. Generally, it's the tanks job to get it, since they are always within melee range and there's really nothing else for the tank to do. Most PUG tanks don't know that they need to bash that, though, so I typically stay in melee range (even as a ranged DPS) and get the bash.

In BCI, the ability has a cast time of 0.1s. You have more than an order of magnitude more time in Blackheart. These two things really are not comparable.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The telegraph on that is fine. Even if you don't notice the red lines, the animation is distinct and looks nothing like anything else the boss does. The telegraph is long enough that I can even get it as a DPS. Generally, it's the tanks job to get it, since they are always within melee range and there's really nothing else for the tank to do. Most PUG tanks don't know that they need to bash that, though, so I typically stay in melee range (even as a ranged DPS) and get the bash.

In BCI, the ability has a cast time of 0.1s. You have more than an order of magnitude more time in Blackheart. These two things really are not comparable.

The channel of that boss is still significantly shorter than other channels you have to bash. Plus, it should have the red lines that indicate it's interruptable. Regardless of whether you think it is easy to do it or not, it should adhere to the general principle of channels. ZOS even made players have the red lines in PvP now to indicate they can be interrupted.

I wasn't necessarily comparing the Wavecutter boss to Rilis, I was simply adding that there are also other bosses that need to be looked over in addition to Rilis.

Edited by Carbonised on March 13, 2018 9:02PM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The channel of that boss is still significantly shorter than other channels you have to bash. Plus, it should have the red lines that indicate it's interruptable. Regardless of whether you think it is easy to do it or not, it should adhere to the general principle of channels. ZOS even made players have the red lines in PvP now to indicate they can be interrupted.

I wasn't necessarily comparing the Wavecutter boss to Rilis, I was simply adding that there are also other bosses that need to be looked over in addition to Rilis.

It's something that, once someone learns what it looks like and learns to look for it, is pretty easy to spot and react to. Yes, the channel time is a bit on the shorter side, but it is nevertheless something that people can react to fast enough, if they've had that practice. And for a zone-5 dungeon, I think that's fine. You say you aren't comparing it to the Rilis attack, but you are posting that in this thread, and the two really aren't comparable because the latter is something that no human can react to, even if they knew what to look for, which is why every mitigation (e.g., start block-casting at certain intervals) are preemptive ones rather than reactive ones.
    Edited by code65536 on March 13, 2018 9:21PM

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the people trying to apologize for this broken bossfight that exposes that the older fights were not updated for the new scaling.

I told you so. In order for new changes and scaling to not such, the old content has to be edited, and it never is.
    Edited by Doctordarkspawn on March 13, 2018 10:57PM
  • MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not a problem if you pay attention to the boss rotation, he'll always do the blast or a wrecking blow after he summons fire, so just block when he does.
    You just going to stand there like a lemon?
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a problem if you pay attention to the boss rotation, he'll always do the blast or a wrecking blow after he summons fire, so just block when he does.

I feel like a broken record at this point. Soul Blast happens on a timer that is independent of his other mechanics. It will often line up such that it happens after a heavy attack or a fire channel, but this is a matter of happenstance and is not guaranteed.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always learn very quickly during this fight who has an appropriate amount of health for a veteran dungeon and who does not. If you have 12k health (and do almost as much DPS), guess what? You'll spend the rest of the fight on the ground if no one else rezzes you, 'cause I sure as heck am not bothering. :)
  • xXSilverDragonXx
    xXSilverDragonXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the reality is that this was never meant to be a vet dungeon pre tam one update. So they just made a few changes without ever really looking at how things actually are in vet versions of these dungeons. This is most horrifyingly notable in the final boss fights of banished I among others. The lack of insight that in banished I normal his attack was fine, but in banished I vet is kind of disturbing as it shows that they really did just make them vets and never really tested and said hey maybe this is really borked. He needed zero telegraph on normal because it was not a one shot ever. Just a larger damage dealer. On vet, making it hit as hard as it does amid some serious fire damage that also blocks the view and having to run around like a fool after twice as fast heal balls coming at him makes it outright absurd.

What I do is just ward/shield the whole way through it. That protects me most of the time, but it's a PITA because even if I manage to never go down (and I do at least once or twice), I still waste time picking up the other people. It should be a longer time before he does the move and the move should be viewable to all even with fire everywhere, but as it stands it is not. Thus decreasing damage so it is not a guaranteed one hit as well as increasing time before it happens so there is a chance to block/shield would be the balanced and logical solution.

Welcome to zos.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's something that, once someone learns what it looks like and learns to look for it, is pretty easy to spot and react to. Yes, the channel time is a bit on the shorter side, but it is nevertheless something that people can react to fast enough, if they've had that practice. And for a zone-5 dungeon, I think that's fine. You say you aren't comparing it to the Rilis attack, but you are posting that in this thread, and the two really aren't comparable because the latter is something that no human can react to, even if they knew what to look for, which is why every mitigation (e.g., start block-casting at certain intervals) are preemptive ones rather than reactive ones.

Code, while I usually agree with most of what you write here on the forums, you need to stop being defensive about this instead of continuing along your "I am experienced and know when to anticipate this attack, so there is no problem".

It's a channeled attack that can be, and is supposed to be, interrupted. It should have the visual cues to indicate that it should be interrupted - i.e. the red lines animation. That's really all there is to it, end of story.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Code, while I usually agree with most of what you write here on the forums, you need to stop being defensive about this instead of continuing along your "I am experienced and know when to anticipate this attack, so there is no problem".

It's a channeled attack that can be, and is supposed to be, interrupted. It should have the visual cues to indicate that it should be interrupted - i.e. the red lines animation. That's really all there is to it, end of story.

But... there are red lines. If you are not seeing them, then that could be a graphics problem on your end. There has always been the sparkling-red-lines telegraph on that ability.

Now, with all the effects going on in combat, those lines might be easy to miss. But they're definitely there.
    Edited by code65536 on March 14, 2018 1:53PM

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas: