Edited by code65536 on November 12, 2016 9:59PM
The final boss in Banished Cells I has an ability called Soul Blast (or something similar--I don't recall its exact name). The boss picks a player at random, turns towards them, and launches a projectile that, if unblocked or undodged, will knock the player down.
- This ability ignores taunt since it targets players at random.
- This ability has virtually no warning/telegraph. He turns and immediately fires, and players only have a split-second to react. It's very difficult to avoid even for players with good ping and FPS and is impossible to avoid for players who don't.
- The damage from this ability is extremely high. With a CP-capped magicka character wearing 5/1/1 with 19.5K health (and that's with the help of the tank's Ebon buff), the ability hits for 19.1K and is just a sliver shy of a 1-shot. But for many characters, particularly those who don't have the extra mitigation and health of a CP-capped player and the help of an Ebon buff, the ability is a 1-shot, and for most players who are not fully topped-up on health, it's a 1-shot.
- In contrast, Rilis's other high-burst ability--his heavy attack--has a clear telegraph and a sufficiently long windup to allow a player to react and get their block up. That ability also respects taunt.
- In contrast, Nerien'eth's big skull attack and Skoria's fireball attack, which are the closest analogues that I can think of (they too ignores taunt, do a tremendous amount of damage that can potentially 1-shot, and knock the player down if the player survives), both have clear cues and sufficiently long windups to allow a player to react and either dodge or block.
Mechanics should reward skillful play.
- If the ability respected taunt, then it would reward groups with a competent tank, but it ignores taunt.
- If the ability did less damage, then it would reward healers who can react quickly, but in its current state, it is often a 1-shot, and there is nothing a healer can do about it.
- If the ability had a reasonable warning, then it would reward players who are paying attention and who can react to avoid damage, but unlike almost other all the high-burst boss abilities in the game, such as his heavy attack, Nerien'eth's big skull attack, or Skoria's fireball, this ability does not give anyone a reasonable amount of time to react.
Changing any one
of these would make this boss ability more interesting and promote skillful play. But until that happens, this attack is nothing more than a case of poor artificial difficulty and RNG punishment.
PS: As someone who frequently tanks, I'm really not a fan of abilities that ignore taunt, as they just call into question why the tank is even needed. I've done the Rilis fight without a tank, and it's not any more difficult because his heavy attack has enough of a warning that a DPS can block it in time, and this Soul Blast ability ignores taunt. And Rilis is not the only offender. For example, the Whisperer in Spindleclutch I and the Spawn of Mephala in Fungal Grotto II both have an ability that is almost an exactly like Rilis's. They'll turn to a random player and quickly fire off a ball that hits hard and knocked them on their back. And as a tank, it's very frustrating to see that happening and knowing that there's absolutely nothing that I could do about it.
PC/NA ― Officer of Nightfighters
― Officer and former GM of The Merchant's Reserve
– Breton Nightblade – DD – Snow Oryx ☙
– Dunmer Dragonknight – DD/Tank – Cinder Oryx ☙
– Altmer Sorcerer – DD – Elim Crake
– Breton Templar – Healer – Zebulon the Spirit Bear
– Bosmer Nightblade – DD – Higgs Bosmer
– Argonian Dragonknight – Tank – Erects-the-Horns-of-War
– Redguard Sorceress – DD – Rallina Oryx
– Altmer Nightblade – DD – Joyèd
– Dunmer Nightblade – DD – Raven Oryx ☙
– Argonian Dragonknight – Tank – Takes-All-Blame
– Altmer Sorceress – DD – Codegasm
The Flawless Conqueror • Dro-m'Athra Destroyer • Tick-Tock Tormentor • Voice of Reason • Bringer of Light • Blackrose Executioner
Add-Ons: Itemization Browser
― Loot Log
― Deconstruction Junk Marker
― Purge Tracker
― vHoF Status Panel
― Asylum Status Panel
― Dungeon Timer
― Combat Alerts
― Smart Looter