Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Zaan Examples

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »
    So many people take zero damage from all of your burst until zaan procs. Is it that you have no damage in your build or is mitigation in this game just THAT bad?

It's lower DMG, all purp and blue gear (so no gold staff) - but it's kinda hard to say as I was using different armor sets etc.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Hoked_on_ponix
    Hoked_on_ponix
    ✭✭✭
    My issue is I often think it is my proc on someone else when it is visa versa
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That happens a lot! There's no real way to tell who's is who's
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess this is your intended balance then. Zaan, the set that is balanced because it can kill its wearer too ;)
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stahlor wrote: »
    About zaan, but decent pvp teams use negate - so you'll end up with negate and zaan on you quite often --> rip.

Zaan is single target, and not a very effective set to use if you play to kill groups/zergs.
    If a sorc runs negate in a 1 v. 1 he will have a ton less burst.

And if you get negated with zaan on you in a 1 v. 1, it shouldn't be terrible hard to take a few steps out of it, and clear it with cloak before the last couple of high damage ticks hit.
  • rimmidimdim
    rimmidimdim
    ✭✭✭
    Zaan needs a sound, something that helps notice it, from behind you don't see it, its over for you. It's not that bad yet cause it's not everywhere, yet.......
  • Undefwun
    Undefwun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran it on my DW magblade just to see how it went in pvp.

It's a bit of guilty pleasure to be honest. Not something I wanna run all the time, but it's definitely something I'll throw on if I've had a bad run and need to deal out some karma.

I added extra cheese by not doing my regular weave, but just spamming light attacks to proc it after opening. my light attacks don't do much damage.

Opponents thought I was just a complete noob, kinda stopped worrying and then it procced and I start doing real damage instead of just light attacks. Couple sorcs didn't bother to go ranged, "Hurr hurr... your sub 1k attacks are bouncing off my 25k shield". Then the ticks kicked in, you can see the panick movement and then the assassin's will hit and concealed weapon and they got a free ride to a keep of their choice. After being fury spammed so many times while fighting someone else that kinda felt good.

Also when it procs right as you get cc'd and melee toons first impulse is to sit on you like white on rice and your still pumping out damage. Couple stam blades got that treatment. Schadenfreude at it's finest...

To be honest it feels a bit cheap sometimes (like when it procced on an opponent that I could have taken easily anyway) and further more as ppl will have to deal with it more, it will be less effective (especially the good players where I actually could use the assist).

Right now it often still has that fun (for me) 'SURPRISE!! HAVE SOME DRAGON BREATH IN YOUR FACE' effect.
    Drank Sinatra Sr - PvP Magblade - DC
    Juggathot - PvP Mag Sorc - DC
    Jedi Mind Crits - PvP A-Hole Bowblade - DC
    Dollar Store Thor - PvP Stamplar - DC
    The Bone Sumpremacy - baby Stamcro - DC
    Wârden Freeman - PvP Stamden - DC (on hold)
    Lauryn Heal - PvE Magplar DPS - DC

Lil Orc Chop - PvP Stam Sorc - EP
    Hamuel L Jackson - PvE DPS & PvP Stam DK - EP
    Chandler Bling - PvP Magden - EP

Mahalia Lightborn - exiled crafting toon - cos you know, she's AD
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanna try zaan, doylemish, caluurions for a full on cheese build. Still working out some kinks. I'm thinking a heavy armor mag warden with snb back bar with doylemish, 2 caluurion jewels 1 doylemish, 3 body, doylemish chest and legs, asylum destro staff.

Maybe destro/2h and go melee
    Shalk, bird weave, force pulse weave, proc caluurions with that, prob zaans too, shalk, puncture weave, heavy attack for a doylemish shalk combo. Repeat. I hope i can make it work. It'll be fun either way. Straight malignant fun.
  • Hoked_on_ponix
    Hoked_on_ponix
    ✭✭✭
    Zaan is so cheese on mageblade. As soon as you see the proc you can incap for not only the cc but it also buffs the damage of the full zaan proc and they are defiled and can't heal through it. I've seen the last tick hit for 7k plus in no cp.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Waffennacht
    I see you're struggling exactly with what drives me away from Zaan on sorc: stam issues.
    Have you tried an Absorb Stamina glyph on the front staff? Could also use stam regen jewelry glyphs, but I'd rather avoid diminishing damage output...
  • Killset
    Killset
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried Zaan on my mDK and it is without a doubt one of the most broken monster sets ever released in this game. The mere existence of this set on live gives me serious doubts as to whether or not the devs have any idea what is happening in their game. It is an ultimate on cool down.

Anyone who has ever created a nerf proc set post should rise up in outrage at the mere existence of this monstrosity.

P.S. I did about 7-10 duels with it then took it off out of sheer embarrassment.
    Edited by Killset on March 7, 2018 1:17AM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    @Waffennacht
    I see you're struggling exactly with what drives me away from Zaan on sorc: stam issues.
    Have you tried an Absorb Stamina glyph on the front staff? Could also use stam regen jewelry glyphs, but I'd rather avoid diminishing damage output...

The glyph is something I have not tried and is a really good idea. I just chalked up the Stan issues to my own mistakes or something I could fix down the road. I guess I just shrug and go "a better player wouldn't have this issue" lol.
    Killset wrote: »
    I tried Zaan on my mDK and it is without a doubt one of the most broken monster sets ever released in this game. The mere existence of this set on live gives me serious doubts as to whether or not the devs have any idea what is happening in their game. It is an ultimate on cool down.

Anyone who has ever created a nerf proc set post should rise up in outrage at the mere existence of this monstrosity.

P.S. I did about 7-10 duels with it then took it off out of sheer embarrassment.

I sometimes feel like I need to make a mDK character
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have replaced my fifth piece Shackle and my one Domi with Zaan. Overall damage drops by 4%, shield strength by 5%.
    Stam pool goes back to 10k, from 14k. It's a big loss, but max stat is a single-use only thing. Stam regen matters more in prolonged fights, and that is still 950 unbuffed for me, should be plenty.

On paper, this should be quite lethal. I notice, however, that Zaan's activation requires you to be REALLY close. Only the beam itself has that 10m range. This might potentially be an exploitable weakness. It also makes me pessimistic about Zaan on my sorc. HOWEVER... DW Zaan sorc? (^_-)

I will see how I perform with it in Cyro. Try out that DW Zaan sorc, Shen, will you?
    ;3
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have replaced my fifth piece Shackle and my one Domi with Zaan. Overall damage drops by 4%, shield strength by 5%.
    Stam pool goes back to 10k, from 14k. It's a big loss, but max stat is a single-use only thing. Stam regen matters more in prolonged fights, and that is still 950 unbuffed for me, should be plenty.

On paper, this should be quite lethal. I notice, however, that Zaan's activation requires you to be REALLY close. Only the beam itself has that 10m range. This might potentially be an exploitable weakness. It also makes me pessimistic about Zaan on my sorc. HOWEVER... DW Zaan sorc? (^_-)

I will see how I perform with it in Cyro. Try out that DW Zaan sorc, Shen, will you?
    ;3

DW sorc.... Ewwwww.... Lol nah jk

Um what was your other set you were using?
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

;3

Zaan is clearly designed to be melee ranged and it will be terrible for sorcs. So, I would not use it on sorcs but on mNB, DK and Templar.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I knew you'd love to test it out!
    =P
    Full setup is 2 Zaan, 5 Lich, 4 Shackle and the Master staff. Could sub Lich for Wizard's. Could also replace Master's for the fifth Shackle, but that would only be a slight buff to non-Reach burst comboes, while a hefty loss to those using Reach as the CC.

Yeah, it's definitely bound to perform best on melee magicka. But you can streak freely on a sorc, and many players will hug you constantly, anyway.
    The question that matters to me is not so much on which class Zaan performs best, but if it performs better than the other setups on sorc, however marginally. It'll take some time for me to determine, really...
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Close range (when you have to be because of a tower fight for example) the proc isn’t easy to see when some other stuff is going on. Took 14k on 5 hits from a certain very tanky EP DK yesterday.

Not calling for a nerf, but I’m puzzled what they’re thinking when they design these sets.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew you'd love to test it out!
    =P
    Full setup is 2 Zaan, 5 Lich, 4 Shackle and the Master staff. Could sub Lich for Wizard's. Could also replace Master's for the fifth Shackle, but that would only be a slight buff to non-Reach burst comboes, while a hefty loss to those using Reach as the CC.

Yeah, it's definitely bound to perform best on melee magicka. But you can streak freely on a sorc, and many players will hug you constantly, anyway.
    The question that matters to me is not so much on which class Zaan performs best, but if it performs better than the other setups on sorc, however marginally. It'll take some time for me to determine, really...

I don't have the Masters but I see what you're going for. I love lich too, esp in no CP.

I'm grinding gear tonight and I'll see what I can test out.

BTW if I was using that gear I'd do something like x3 lich, x1 master x5 shackle, then backbar or front bar x2 lich.

You get everything
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I did finish my Caluurion grind

(Got the ice staff + gear)

Zaan + Caluurion + anything (esp execute) = GG

New proc meta 4 sure (mag)
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashamray wrote: »
    Zaan is kinda doing all your killing damage for you lol

Lol absolutely, that's the whole idea! I do have enough offense to make wrath etc get em.

You can always see when it fires, I kill, without it, there would be no kills
    You know, it really sucks that PvP has gotten this bad. Proc sets are ridiculous again. Why can’t we just go back to the days when casting skills was how ppl won fights? Not the Zaan burn. Not a lucky Skoria proc. Not a Doylemesh proc. Not because your poisons procced.

Not any sort of RNG or ability you didn’t activate with your own resources.

PvP is just not very appealing to me rn.
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Had a nice test today: Zaan vs Soulassault
    In the end Zaan always dealt about 4k more damage and in conjunction with Soulassault you can kill almost every one because you drain their stamina like hell,
    you put a snare on the: Zaan procs, cc+ Soulassault and you got the kill against any class except for magsorcs when you use this in open terrain.
    The best thing is that both things seem to fail to deal their damage consistently. Soulassault misses the second tick and seems to combine it with the third for huge damage (with Vivec primetime lag) so most people think they can ignore it and are gone in 3 seconds

But yeah it's just a niche set, like skoria or selene :lol:
    Edited by BohnT on March 7, 2018 10:57AM
  • Wrubius_Coronaria
    Wrubius_Coronaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found this:
    (it's very funny to watch and see the set doing the kill)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSfqNtkZXQc

Yesterday, I meet one magicka nightblade who tried to kill me with Zaan and soul assault, I don't know how I survived agaisnt that, but my health dropped at 10% really fast. (with medium armor), it's a really powerfull set. :D
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many people take zero damage from all of your burst until zaan procs. Is it that you have no damage in your build or is mitigation in this game just THAT bad?

Nah, thats just #magsorc. Recently Ive switched to stamble... Difference in burst is smashing.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I did finish my Caluurion grind

(Got the ice staff + gear)

Zaan + Caluurion + anything (esp execute) = GG

New proc meta 4 sure (mag)

I’m so doing this, so much cancer...

Please post a vid of this.
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "You guys need to L2P to counter it"

yea ok mate.

this set needs to go, it is in most cases an 'I win' set that any player can wear stam or magicka and rolfl stomp most opponenets with a basic zaan, stun ultimate/execute combo.
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

yea ok mate.

this set needs to go, it is in most cases an 'I win' set that any player can wear stam or magicka and rolfl stomp most opponenets with a basic zaan, stun ultimate/execute combo.

Outside of one especially foolish idiot that made dozens of posts about it being counterable, L2P, etc... most people don’t like this set. Or they won’t when they finally get hit by it. Or they’re using it and they want a crutch.

Nobody really addressed the point: should a two piece set hit harder than an ultimate? The answer is and should always be NO.
    Edited by Minalan on March 7, 2018 3:08PM
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

yea ok mate.

Outside of one especially foolish idiot that made dozens of posts about it being counterable, L2P, etc... most people don’t like this set. Or they won’t when they finally get hit by it. Or they’re using it and they want a crutch.

Nobody really addressed the point: should a two piece set hit harder than an ultimate? The answer is and should always be NO.

More importantly, should one set be enough to kill an enemy in pvp on its own even if he's not defending?
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Should sets be able to make full tanks be able to get easy kills?

Should we get another Combat Team?
    Yes please
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    BohnT wrote: »

yea ok mate.

More importantly, should one set be enough to kill an enemy in pvp on its own even if he's not defending?

Should sets be able to make full tanks be able to get easy kills?

Should we get another Combat Team?
    Yes please

That settles it then.

@ZOS_GinaBruno Please tell your combat to pack up their desks and leave. :lol:

I’m only half-kidding here - Serious though, does it not concern them that this proc set does more damage than an ultimate?
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive watched that clip 5 times now and I'm still not sure why my permafrost didnt cc you.

@Waffennacht
    Edited by Ron_Burgundy_79 on March 7, 2018 3:56PM
  • Kova
    Kova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really do miss the days of sets just offering a static increase in stats with no rng procs
    EP Sorc: Aydinn
    AD Stamplar: Verdant`Knight
    DC Stamblade: Apple`Punch
    EP Stam Sorc: Kós
    AD DragonKnight: Transmigrant
    EP NIghtblade: Aydinn