Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MAGBLADE pvp theorycrafting

• Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    I’m having a lot of success with 5 Spinners 5 Shackle 1 Domi 2h/resto.

Forward momentum is insane and once shadow image fixes go live on console it’s gonna be even stronger.

Thats what I am running but heavy. I am assuming you're running light?

Yeah, light. 13k pen and stack heavy into elfborn. The playstyle is just kite and build merciless stacks then 1 bang someone with incap+will and go back to kiting

Sounds like what I've been trying to do on my melee-ranged hybrid build. I was running all ranged but got tired of having to pretty much abandon fights on DKs and Wardens and not to mention having people block reach and meteor and not to mention destro resto and shadow image not working makes kiting not very effective. So I built to instead get the proc for will up, use lotus fan, fear, incap+will, shadow image out and forward momentum will help the kiting.

I need to practice at it more, particularly since shadow image hadn't been working for me but 1 in 10 times and I just stuck to my destro resto yesterday as I felt out the patch. Might try to pull it off tonight and may switch to light. Felt a lot lately that heavy survivability isnt as good as being the one who's putting out the pressure rather than trying to weather the pressure anyway.

You don’t need lotus with Forward momentum. If you build it, they will come... especially once you start nuking their friends. Just use LoS+cripple+cloak/conceal speed and get the incap-will off that way. I hit a 19k crit yesterday with will

Thanks for the tip. Started thinking about it and I really only had lotus on there for sorcs when they want to streak away. Theres really not a lot of them left out there though that will streak more than a couple times. Will give it a try.

I like lotus but my 2h build had a choice, rely on stealth conceal and incap for cc, or slot fear. I had to go with fear on that one
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Forward momentum is insane and once shadow image fixes go live on console it’s gonna be even stronger.

Yeah, light. 13k pen and stack heavy into elfborn. The playstyle is just kite and build merciless stacks then 1 bang someone with incap+will and go back to kiting

Sounds like what I've been trying to do on my melee-ranged hybrid build. I was running all ranged but got tired of having to pretty much abandon fights on DKs and Wardens and not to mention having people block reach and meteor and not to mention destro resto and shadow image not working makes kiting not very effective. So I built to instead get the proc for will up, use lotus fan, fear, incap+will, shadow image out and forward momentum will help the kiting.

I need to practice at it more, particularly since shadow image hadn't been working for me but 1 in 10 times and I just stuck to my destro resto yesterday as I felt out the patch. Might try to pull it off tonight and may switch to light. Felt a lot lately that heavy survivability isnt as good as being the one who's putting out the pressure rather than trying to weather the pressure anyway.

You don’t need lotus with Forward momentum. If you build it, they will come... especially once you start nuking their friends. Just use LoS+cripple+cloak/conceal speed and get the incap-will off that way. I hit a 19k crit yesterday with will

Thanks for the tip. Started thinking about it and I really only had lotus on there for sorcs when they want to streak away. Theres really not a lot of them left out there though that will streak more than a couple times. Will give it a try.

Your cloak move speed with conceal and major expedition+cripple will be enough once you get it down. It’s super important to time your combo right on sorcs because you don’t really have the consistent pressure to be dangerous against really defensive sorcs in 1vX. However, I find that getting an incap-will combo right as the shield duration sets to expire is usually enough as long as they’re not full health beneath the shields.

@Datthaw I honestly don’t run fear because shade and fear have the same job imo, they create space for cloak. I found that having fear slotted actually broke up my offensive pace because opponents would often have CC immunity when my incap and will lined up, meaning I had to hold my burst longer and potentially lose the bow proc. I find this totally undesirable since the burst being up fairly often is a key to beating people that try to turtle.
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hit a 19k crit yesterday with will

All the incentive I need to reroll to melee. Holy ***
    Edited by Subversus on February 13, 2018 10:58PM
  • SRASinister
    SRASinister
    ✭✭✭
    For me I just don't like the 2 hand playstyle on my magblade because I use it on my stamblade with the incap and spectral bow burst with my two hander. Do they play differently that there would be a reason for me to try it on my magblade? I just don't really see a pro in using it versus using it on a stamblade.
    Xbox One NA: Sins of Daemons
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me I just don't like the 2 hand playstyle on my magblade because I use it on my stamblade with the incap and spectral bow burst with my two hander. Do they play differently that there would be a reason for me to try it on my magblade? I just don't really see a pro in using it versus using it on a stamblade.

On a stamblade you use it for rally. On a magblade we use it for forward momentum. So we can easily get out of snares i.e. Dk roots, ice immobilise.

Forward momentum paired with immovable pots and shadow image = troll mobility
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    i think alot about the new magica proc set for melee mageblade i think its name is cauldrons or something.

what do u guys think about this set+ either shackle or necropotence?
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trashs1 wrote: »
    i think alot about the new magica proc set for melee mageblade i think its name is cauldrons or something.

It's apparently pretty decent, like a velidreth but as a 5p.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still stand by my build.
    War maiden, wizards riposte, 1 domi, 1 shadowrend (can easily swap for 2 grothdar or 1 pirate 1 chudan situationally)

2h/resto 5 light, 1, 1
    Jewelry enchants: 1reduce cost, 1recovery, 1sp dmg

Sap, assassins will, forward momentum, concealed strike, mage light, incap
    Cloak, lotus fan(kinda flex), fear, healing ward, refreshing path(also kinda flex), lights champion

If I take off refreshing I would use either dampen magic or double take, if I take off lotus fan I would consider swallow soul, back bar mage light.

If I swapped monster setup I would consider siphoning or ele d for back bar replacements.
    I'm at 2.1k regen, 40k mag, 24k health, 12k stam, 2k unbuffed sp dmg, 15k sp pen
    Edited by kaithuzar on February 14, 2018 10:11AM
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • EdTerra
    EdTerra
    ✭✭✭
    War maiden, wizards riposte, 1 domi, 1 shadowrend (can easily swap for 2 grothdar or 1 pirate 1 chudan situationally)

2h/resto 5 light, 1, 1

IMO if you need so many regen/reduc on u'r jewels, better go amberplasm instead of maiden and full spell damage jewels, more damage and it's even better for you'r full heal build ><
    [EU] AD - Erdril v16 N(oo)B | AR40
    [NA] EP - Erdril NB

Still a solo player in this zergfest

Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXPJv3O6DC5ZYECfF3-rQ-Q
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EdTerra wrote: »

2h/resto 5 light, 1, 1

IMO if you need so many regen/reduc on u'r jewels, better go amberplasm instead of maiden and full spell damage jewels, more damage and it's even better for you'r full heal build ><

Amberplasm is not a good 1 bar set though.

I don't think I'll change much on my builds either though, shackle/necro/domi and riposte/shackle/vMA resto/domi are the ones I like the most atm so I'll stick with them.
  • EdTerra
    EdTerra
    ✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »

2h/resto 5 light, 1, 1

I don't think I'll change much on my builds either though, shackle/necro/domi and riposte/shackle/vMA resto/domi are the ones I like the most atm so I'll stick with them.

I was talking about his build, he have 5 healing bonus (forward/path/sap/healing ward/light's champion)

maiden only increase damage and he seem to need regen with his jewels glyphs, so basically he have only 129+173 spell damage for his defensive skills
    amberplasm give same stats but huge regen instead of damage, but he can change his 2 regen jewels for 2 spell damage glyph
    so he would have 129+(173*3) spell damage for his offensive AND defensive skills
    also more healing = less spam defensive skills, maybe he will be able to use kena or 1 max mag monster helm instead of shadowrend only with that change

I see only benefits for him to play this way, that's all

also amber in 1 bar can be used with willpower + 2(or 2*1) monster sets for the 5/1/1 bonus, similar to necro with shadow and better than maiden because you would be in 6/1/0
    Edited by EdTerra on February 14, 2018 3:39PM
    [NA] EP - Erdril NB

• EdTerra
    EdTerra
    ✭✭✭
    fail, they should add "edit" button next to "quote"...
    Edited by EdTerra on February 14, 2018 3:40PM
    [NA] EP - Erdril NB

• Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone had the chance to try Zaan on their magblade yet?

I want to taste some salt.
  • leem1988
    leem1988
    ✭✭✭
    Whats a good bomblade build this patch? Spinners-VD-Groth?
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2h/resto 5 light, 1, 1

I was talking about his build, he have 5 healing bonus (forward/path/sap/healing ward/light's champion)

maiden only increase damage and he seem to need regen with his jewels glyphs, so basically he have only 129+173 spell damage for his defensive skills
    amberplasm give same stats but huge regen instead of damage, but he can change his 2 regen jewels for 2 spell damage glyph
    so he would have 129+(173*3) spell damage for his offensive AND defensive skills
    also more healing = less spam defensive skills, maybe he will be able to use kena or 1 max mag monster helm instead of shadowrend only with that change

also amber in 1 bar can be used with willpower + 2(or 2*1) monster sets for the 5/1/1 bonus, similar to necro with shadow and better than maiden because you would be in 6/1/0

I agree that amberplasm is a good set and I know how it works, but the guy was running maiden/riposte and 2 monster sets. You can't replace anything in there with amber without either having it on one bar or dropping a monster set piece.

So basically if you wanna go 5/5/2 like the guy in question, amberplasm is a bad choice. Amberplasm is good for 5/2/3/1 or 5/5/1.
    Edited by Subversus on February 14, 2018 6:24PM
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

2h/resto 5 light, 1, 1

I agree that amberplasm is a good set and I know how it works, but the guy was running maiden/riposte and 2 monster sets. You can't replace anything in there with amber without either having it on one bar or dropping a monster set piece.

So basically if you wanna go 5/5/2 like the guy in question, amberplasm is a bad choice. Amberplasm is good for 5/2/3/1 or 5/5/1.

I’m testing amber+Lich with vma resto and 1 domi for no-CP
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2h/resto 5 light, 1, 1

Aye that might be strong, amber is most definitely better than shackle in noCP imo. I'll probably go amber/riposte/domi/vMA resto for my noCP build as well. Or maybe lich instead of riposte if sustain is really that bad, I haven't played noCP in quite a while so I don't know hahaha.

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2h/resto 5 light, 1, 1

Aye that might be strong, amber is most definitely better than shackle in noCP imo. I'll probably go amber/riposte/domi/vMA resto for my noCP build as well. Or maybe lich instead of riposte if sustain is really that bad, I haven't played noCP in quite a while so I don't know hahaha.

Imo, even though technically Riposte gets better in no CP, it's less useful as the defense provided maybe over kill, especially when talking about a build as strong as mNB.

You'll probably have more success with Lich.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Self buffed:
    Screenshot_20180214_133245.png
    Edited by Akinos on February 14, 2018 8:37PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »
    Self buffed:

Axes tho?
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Self buffed:

Axes tho?

They only look like axes: P
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Self buffed:

Axes tho?

They only look like axes: P

Shackle, Maiden, 1 domi 1 groth?
  • EdTerra
    EdTerra
    ✭✭✭

2h/resto 5 light, 1, 1

lol my bad, I was totally lost on my own theorycrafting, didn't see that he play maiden front bar and riposte back bar
    Edited by EdTerra on February 14, 2018 9:12PM
    [NA] EP - Erdril NB

• kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Self buffed:

Penetration is super low dude. At least shoot for 11k pen
    27k health w/19k stam is a tad overkill imo.
    Edited by kaithuzar on February 14, 2018 11:25PM
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2h/resto 5 light, 1, 1

Imo, even though technically Riposte gets better in no CP, it's less useful as the defense provided maybe over kill, especially when talking about a build as strong as mNB.

You'll probably have more success with Lich.

Riposte is only overkill 1v1 against bads
    If you fight against 3+ bads or have at least 1 good player you're going against; it's well worth it.
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trashs1 wrote: »

Probably OP with necro for ganking if you can figure out a
    kaithuzar wrote: »

2h/resto 5 light, 1, 1

Sap, assassins will, forward momentum, concealed strike, mage light, incap
    Cloak, lotus fan(kinda flex), fear, healing ward, refreshing path(also kinda flex), lights champion

If I take off refreshing I would use either dampen magic or double take, if I take off lotus fan I would consider swallow soul, back bar mage light.

If I swapped monster setup I would consider siphoning or ele d for back bar replacements.
    I'm at 2.1k regen, 40k mag, 24k health, 12k stam, 2k unbuffed sp dmg, 15k sp pen

Still don't see any point of running riposte considering the insane mobility and sources of minor main available. Usually with 3-4 people around mass hysteria and shadow image is enough to get minor main on most of them. Any more players and you'd be 99% dead regardless of having riposte or not.

I think you're better off running transmutation backbar if you want a more defensive set. Gives decent regen too and it compliments minor main to the point where 3/4 players won't be doing much damage to you.

Personally I don't run any defensive set but use 5 lich backbar 5 overwhelming front bar and valkyn with 2H (probably zaan soon) . All my survivability comes from my mobility. Lich also means I can run all damage glyphs so my burst usually kills instantly. Never really saw a point in a defensive set on a Nb I just reckon you need to go all out damage and survive through mobility.
  • largeintestine
    largeintestine
    Soul Shriven
    Saw an interesting build today in bgs. Another melee magblade was running what seemed to be baharas curse and using soul assault he went like 15-3 or something . Baharas reduces your movement speed by 70% it was honestly quite annoying. Might have to test it out myself
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Exodium a heavy amount depends on the skill of the people you are fighting. I've easily taken on 3-4 bads

I'm not logged on right now so I don't know off the top how long minor maim last when it's placed from fear or shade
    I don't have shade on my bar b/c I got use to not having it & im not going to waste resources fearing when they have cc immunity.

I do have a straight damage 2h/resto build but I'm not sure if I want to mention it. I will say I've pushed out imo what is the maximum amount of damage as possible for a 2h build & my assassin's will was critting on mobs for over 42k & im not even sure if all my buffs were up.

The problem with straight damage is there is some type of diminishing returns, where you won't be able to 1 shot people like stamina builds can; it's more like 2-3 shot at best.
    Edited by kaithuzar on February 15, 2018 5:10AM
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Exodium a heavy amount depends on the skill of the people you are fighting. I've easily taken on 3-4 bads

I'm not logged on right now so I don't know off the top how long minor maim last when it's placed from fear or shade
    I don't have shade on my bar b/c I got use to not having it & im not going to waste resources fearing when they have cc immunity.

I do have a straight damage 2h/resto build but I'm not sure if I want to mention it. I will say I've pushed out imo what is the maximum amount of damage as possible for a 2h build & my assassin's will was critting on mobs for over 42k & im not even sure if all my buffs were up.

The problem with straight damage is there is some type of diminishing returns, where you won't be able to 1 shot people like stamina builds can; it's more like 2-3 shot at best.

Last I tested fear only applies the snare or the maim to targets that get CC’ed. It also has an RNG element to determine who to CC when multiple opponents are present and does not prioritize non-CC immune opponents. As a result the maim that it applies has low uptime in outnumbered scenarios. This is also why a sorc using streak is a much more efficient way to CC any number of opponents greater than 2.

Imo, Mass Hysteria is a rather poor skill right now and the other morph is outright superior given the way that NB is played. Even perma blockers have to drop block to deal with kiting, which even a melee NB does to some extent.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on February 15, 2018 6:03AM
  • Exodium
    Exodium
    ✭✭✭✭

Last I tested fear only applies the snare or the maim to targets that get CC’ed. It also has an RNG element to determine who to CC when multiple opponents are present and does not prioritize non-CC immune opponents. As a result the maim that it applies has low uptime in outnumbered scenarios. This is also why a sorc using streak is a much more efficient way to CC any number of opponents greater than 2.

Imo, Mass Hysteria is a rather poor skill right now and the other morph is outright superior given the way that NB is played. Even perma blockers have to drop block to deal with kiting, which even a melee NB does to some extent.

I've never actually seen the other morph being used. What's it look like? Is there an animation or is it a trap on the floor? I've literally never seen it or tried it lol