Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

First home? (Requesting recommendations thread)

• woufff
    woufff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Twin Arches is just great, best value for money on the lower end for me. Everything fits, inside outside, love it.

If there is a bit more money to spend I would consider Hunding's Palatial Hall, gorgeous property, seaside, tons of space inside & outside, balcony, beach - if I didn't own it I'd buy it immediately B)
    PC/EU&NA - Redguard Nightblade - Grand Master Crafter - Explorer of Tamriel & Skyrim - Playing Starfield (and awaiting TES VI ^^)
  • Nocturnal_Annoyance
    My first home was Ravenhurst in Rivenspire. It's close to the wayshrine and along the river there are a few treasure chests that spawn. It has a nice outdoor space and with ESO+ it has 400 slots. Housing can be an absolute gold sink and if you're unsure of it, start with a smaller home. I'm now in Hundings Palatial Hall, not the best location but it is absolutely beautiful. Not particularly a fan of any of the manors, so I doubt I will ever make that move and I refuse to pay crowns for a house, I'll be at Hundings for quite a while.
  • Rawst
    Rawst
    ✭✭✭
    You can start now by getting the free inn rooms (Mara's Kiss, Rosy Lion and the pact one, plus the one in Vivec city if you started a char there). That way you can take a look at how housing works and see if you like it.

Gardner House in Wayrest is nice because it's a 3-story house (with a garden) in a big city, conveniently located but expensive, still, great for city life.

My first home was Autumn's Gate and I loved it (didn't want to spend on anything bigger since I was saving up for Grand Topal Hideaway). Not that expensive, you get a house and a garden with a sturdy stone fence and a nice view once you build over it.

You can create some real crazy stuff with housing, I say at least give it a try. You also don't have to build all decoration for yourself, you can buy them if you have the gold.
    Beasts in amber! Wake and remember!
  • notmeta
    notmeta
    ✭✭✭
    i'm new and i went with a cheap snugpod in grahtwood right next to crafting stations and respecing stations and the undaunted enclave until i can afford something bigger and better, only 45000 gold
    Edited by notmeta on December 23, 2017 10:44AM
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian houses are actually quite spacious and nice (and cheap). And @tinythinker you can place replica Hist trees yes. And the mnemic egg though it is expensive
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It really depends on what you're going for, as well as your budget. If you really want that Argonian theme, there's always the mud huts that are, you know, Argonian. ;)

If you're looking for something basic, the small Khajiit home, Moonmirth, is about as basic of a layout as you can get. Pretty much just a box with a high ceiling. Which means you don't have to work around little nooks or fireplaces or whatnot while decorating. No yard either, so no need to worry about landscaping. At the moment I'm using it as a furniture warehouse for overflow and things I haven't decided what to do with yet.

Architecturally, the houses I like are the Imperial ones. I also like the Khajiit homes, and somewhat fond of Forsaken Stronghold.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The choice of your first home should be purely aesthetic & cosmetic... but if you want the best house for the lowest possible price then there are only 4 categories here:
    - Location - as close to nearest way-shrine as possible.
    - Utility - as close to nearest city / bank / crafting station / merchant / etc. as possible.
    - Furniture limit - the more the better.
    - Price - the cheaper the better

Here is a list of all houses available in game:
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Player+Housing

The Ample Domicile seems to be the cheapest (195K gold) house with 200 furniture cap and it is relatively close to nearest bank, merchant, crafting stations and way-shrine.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forsaken Stronghold is also my type for a decent home. Cost a bit over a milion gold afaik.
    The feeling of a lord in it's own ancient orcish stronghold, with vast exterior and interior, plenty of space for your immagination. You are free to build anything on the valley on the left side, like a cavern, prison or a copy of this large rock hanging over Vivec City :).

My advice, restrain yourself from using crowns for purchase of house or furnitures, the easy way in obtaining homes can spoil much of the fun from playing and earning gold. Way better is to struggle in many ways to first get the gold then spend it on something really huge, like your own fortress. Easy ways are boring.

I also now regret I spent gold on my first homes, which were Humblemud in BalFoyen and then Grymharth's Woe in Windhelm. Once I got the Forsaken Stronghold I forgot the previous homes, and with inability to sell homes they were waste of gold. Buying multiple homes is also pointless.
    Edited by Gargath on December 23, 2017 11:17AM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hunding's Palatial Hall is the best house in my opinion . I don't even consider buying other houses , even though they are really good . They don't have a beach so ...
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went with Stay Moist mansion for my first and the Island is now my main, both Argonian themed. Stay moist is particularly nice imo.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just bought Twin Arches... I have very little money and used the crown sale to justify it. I didn't want to be overwhelmed with decorating, especially with my limited funds anyway. So I didn't want some huge estate that would remain mostly empty. I really wanted something cozy and also useful -- I'd like to put crafting stations there and anything else that's useful.

I think Twin Arches has an amazing layout for the smaller sized plots. I looked at every one of them. I love how I can have a tiny garden to decorate, without it being huge. And the inside is just such a nice layout IMHO.

@vanillexhope
    I’m thinking about ditching my massive house to go back to Twin Archs. Much homier and easy to decorate.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My first house was Black Vine Villa. It’s relatively cheap, about 70k-ish, and it has a decent sized courtyard with an open floor-plan for the most part.

I recommend it as a good starter home to get a feel for whether or not you want to get into housing because of its price and flexibility.

If you have the Imperial upgrade, or the Crowns, Domus Phrasticus is another really good option for about 300k, for the same reasons as above (only much larger).

I’m using the Forsaken Stronghold as my primary residence now, which I also recommend if you’re willing to save up 1,285,000 gold. It’s almost as large as the 4mil homes for a better price.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I say start with the free little rooms and see what you can do with them. It will give you ideas for later.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Verbal_Earthworm
    Verbal_Earthworm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    go with Humblemud for Argonian village life with nearby crafting and bank.

perhaps Ample Domicile or Staymoist Mansion if you can afford them.
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the sake of argument what is best Grand house or whatever the name is. The biggest ones that are available for Gold, I'm not buying a house with crowns. My wife already has the daggerfall Castle so not that one I guess. Are there more than the three big ones? I haven't checked since Homestead first came out.
  • vanillexhope
    vanillexhope
    ✭✭✭
    This is totally a personal preference, but I didn't take into account as much as some with the wayshrine being close by the home I bought. I use the free inn room I got because it's right next to a shrine instead.
  • hana1015
    hana1015
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty new to this game and just saved up 66k gold. I wonder if buying Autumn's Gate is a good choice? Or maybe I should save up a bit more to buy a medium-sized house so I can get 100 more furnishing limits?
    I kinda want the house in Windhelm but it doesn't have a garden. :( The manor in Riften looks the best to me but wow it costs over a million gold.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    srfrogg23 wrote: »
    If you have the Imperial upgrade

This is no longer a requirement for Domus Phrasticus and the Cyrodilic Jungle House.

In the CwC patch, they removed the achievement requirements from all of the medium and smaller houses. This included removing the Imperial Edition requirement. Strident is now the only home that requires Imperial.

And yes, Domus Phrasticus is a fantastic medium-sized home. I had almost forgotten about it! One of my favorites of that size.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Invoca
    Invoca
    ✭✭✭
    I like Humblemud. It's cheap relatively speaking, close to conveniences in Dhalmora and for it's price and size it has a rather large garden.

I chose it as my first home and I'm really pleased with it. I like the argonian architecture, and the relatively small size makes it quite cosy and not as huge of a task to furnish. Think there's even a hist tree furnishing somewhere. Whoever said Shadowfen achievment is probably right.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the insights. I am looking at each comment thoughtfully. I managed to preview all of the current massive houses as per the Crown Store grouping, and while the one in Orsinium had cool pools and waterfalls and views, the floor plan wasn't too great. In that tier of homes, Earthtear felt the best going just on a quick gut impression.

I only made it about halfway though the middle tier in terms of Crown Store groupings before getting an invite for trials, and there was a clear distinction between convenient location and spaciousness/layout. Looking roughly at the first half of that group, starting from the top, my "quick tour gut reaction" based soley on layout and aesthetics favored the two Vvardenfell houses (Ald Velothi Harbor House for verticality around a spiral and great view and still with a yard and Amaya Lake Lodge for layout of the yard, verticality with the nice exterior spaces on the way up, and the tiny private area at the top). This tier brought Forsaken Stronghold (spaciousness, waterfall, and interior design in terms of horizontal and vertical layout) to my attention, along with Mournoth Keep (again good layout of house but no waterfalls or similar views like Forsaken), and Hunding's Palatial Palace (though really just for the ocean sounds).

I still need to look at the other homes in that tier and in the tier of small homes, but so far I seem to like things like nice views (especially waterfalls and oceans), vertical space for the house itself with decks and patios more than horizontal space for the indoor floorplan, and I seem to like a small room or space somewhat cutoff or isolated from the others. For homes with an exterior/yard, again, I seem to prefer it not too crowded pre-furnishings, with some versatility that offers more space around the house rather than on one side. Or at least those are the themes I am seeing so far. I will edit later if/when I can view more homes. Haven't seen any Argonian homes of any size yet I don't think so hopefully soon.

Realistically, for the time being, since I've played much less in 2017 (especially the latter half) and never spent much time making gold, I will probably be stuck with the free inn rooms I acquired when housing dropped, which each have one piece of purchased furniture that I acquired to complete the housing quest. But, better to get advice and recommendations and plan ahead to see what I will need in the future, so thanks again for continuing to be so helpful. I will keep reading your comments and pondering where to go.

Oh and I am an achievement hunter but I am willing to start off modestly since I will be going slowly anyway.
    Edited by tinythinker on December 23, 2017 6:29PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    Amaya lake lodge, nice yard space and inside as well. You can put your argonian characters as slaves as an argonian owning a dunmer home is wrong

I'm an Argonian who owns Tel Galen with a Hist Tree planted in the back. ;P
    Edited by TonyRockaroni on December 23, 2017 7:03PM
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go with Hunding's Palatial Hall. It isn't TOO expensive, it's quite spacious for not being a manor, AND it has its own private beach. Trust me, it can be difficult to beat an ocean view! :3

If you wish to prioritize your Argonians, however (nothing wrong with that, marsh friend ;) ), then depending on how much you'd be willing to spend, I'd go with the Ample Docile or Stay-Moist Mansion.
    Edited by TonyRockaroni on December 23, 2017 7:03PM
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For homes with an exterior/yard, again, I seem to prefer it not too crowded pre-furnishings, with some versatility that offers more space around the house rather than on one side.

If you're worried about the pre-existing furnishings clogging up your creativity, just do what I did. Buy the home, go into the retrieve item menu, pick up everything and stuff it all in that free inn room you get when you do the housing quest.

Don't worry, the innkeeper won't mind. Much.

Might complain a little about the giant tree poking up through the ceiling...
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    I finally acquired a target dummy that a friend kindly crafted for me so I think it's time for me to get a small house w/a yard. I will probably go with the TWIN ARCHES home, however, the interior natural lighting is SO dark and the roof seems inaccessible. Any solutions out there?
    I just bought Twin Arches... I have very little money and used the crown sale to justify it. I didn't want to be overwhelmed with decorating, especially with my limited funds anyway. So I didn't want some huge estate that would remain mostly empty. I really wanted something cozy and also useful -- I'd like to put crafting stations there and anything else that's useful.

I think Twin Arches has an amazing layout for the smaller sized plots. I looked at every one of them. I love how I can have a tiny garden to decorate, without it being huge. And the inside is just such a nice layout IMHO.
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • vanillexhope
    vanillexhope
    ✭✭✭
    I haven’t delved into much decor as of yet, so I can’t advise there. I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread though, hoping someone can illuminate the situation ....
  • Ithilis
    Ithilis
    ✭✭✭
    My criteria for house was simple: it needs to have a garden/yard. So I went for the Black vine villa. It has a garden where you enter before you enter the home itself. Some houses have garden in the back, where you enter through your house. Let's be honest, who will visit there? This way your visitors will be stunned with the garden before entering the house :)

As for Argoninan first home I really recommend Humblemud. It costs only 40 000 gold, making it really cheap considering that it does have a reasonable living area AND a garden. The garden is in the back, so first you enter through the house which is why I didn't go for this home but the garden is really spacious so you can built your statue park/stable/torture chamber whatever in the back.
    Other downside is the round shape of the living quarters. It is difficult to aesthetically align furniture around. I mean, how many curved furniture there are?
    But considering the price this home would be really nice first home.
    Leader of Storytellers&Slavers RP guild PC EU
    Officer in Aetherius Art Housing guild PC EU
    Saxhleel - Power to the Hist
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's impossible to make a sensible recommendation not knowing your finances and what you're after in a home.

For brand new players Snugpod and Humblemud are great. Snugpod has a horse trainer, merchant (for selling and repairs) right outside and not too far away there's a thieve's den with a fence and banker just inside. Humblemud has a hut nearby with all crafting stations, merchants and banker.

Beyond that just stroll around in them (with preview) and see what feels like home.

And don't worry too much about whether there's a wayshrine nearby. Teleport to your house. Do whatever you need. Preview any unowned home. Instantly walk out its front gate. Boom. You're back where you were before you teleported to your house. This apparently isn't an exploit.