The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Tanks: What are your favorite sets for the axes in AA?

• kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have been working on a set up for the Axes but I don't have all the pieces yet. It would be 5p of Defending Warrior and 5p of Leeching plate. Get that with all sturdy and all other sources of block cost reduction and you will be able to block forever and both of your sets will heal you a ton and deal enough damage in AoE to keep agro on them without having to retaunt as long as they don't get hit by other people, so no shards allowed, but but healing orbs are.

Is the Defending warrior same thing as resilient yokeda? I used that setup some time ago with leeching and Malubeth the scourger on a SapTank. Though, I've given up tanking with nightblade...it never crossed my mind to use them on DK. I think she's still using Ebon alkosh...which is a terrible setup for AA lol.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    I have been working on a set up for the Axes but I don't have all the pieces yet. It would be 5p of Defending Warrior and 5p of Leeching plate. Get that with all sturdy and all other sources of block cost reduction and you will be able to block forever and both of your sets will heal you a ton and deal enough damage in AoE to keep agro on them without having to retaunt as long as they don't get hit by other people, so no shards allowed, but but healing orbs are.

Is the Defending warrior same thing as resilient yokeda? I used that setup some time ago with leeching and Malubeth the scourger on a SapTank. Though, I've given up tanking with nightblade...it never crossed my mind to use them on DK. I think she's still using Ebon alkosh...which is a terrible setup for AA lol.

Yes its the same set, just one of the name is the set name and one of the names is what they call the actual armor pieces, its weird but there are more than just this set that has 2 names. Seems unnecessary but it is what it is.
  • Inig0
    Inig0
    ✭✭✭✭
    GM: Mechanically Challenged
    In game - @Inig0
    Sorc - Inigo- Beautiful Chocolate Man
    NB - Raphiki - Beautiful Chocolate Man
    Temp - Ineegø - ınıgo
    DK - Inigø - Alfeus - Down for Maintenance
    Warden - Help I Made a Warden
    PC NA
    Youtube Stuffs
    Only the best memes die twice
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Inig0 wrote: »

How do you get time to use Invigorating Drain on that fight? With all the heavy attacks going out that would seem really hard to do, and you don't use the Sword and Board ultimate nor the Heavy Armor skill, do you use Immovable pots or do you just have it on the bar cause you use it else where? Also not really seen anyone use balance anymore with the nerf to it and its morphs, how does it feel for you? Seems like kind of a waste on a fight where you take so much damage. And with as many hits as you are taking, wouldn't major evasion and Tava's Favor give you more Ultimate?
  • Inig0
    Inig0
    ✭✭✭✭

How do you get time to use Invigorating Drain on that fight? With all the heavy attacks going out that would seem really hard to do, and you don't use the Sword and Board ultimate nor the Heavy Armor skill, do you use Immovable pots or do you just have it on the bar cause you use it else where? Also not really seen anyone use balance anymore with the nerf to it and its morphs, how does it feel for you? Seems like kind of a waste on a fight where you take so much damage. And with as many hits as you are taking, wouldn't major evasion and Tava's Favor give you more Ultimate?

Well, until you get 4+ axes its easy to not have to block especially with the amount of hp youll have. The nerf to balance wasnt as much as a nerf as i think people received. Normalizing the health drain from it feels more like a buff honestly. I still use it in every trial. That being said its a bit more difficult to pull off in vaa axe fight but still possible for sure. The reason why ill never run tavas + shuffle is because of the nerf to dodge and the increase cost of skills like that not to mention the meta of more hp and less resources.
    GM: Mechanically Challenged
    In game - @Inig0
    Sorc - Inigo- Beautiful Chocolate Man
    NB - Raphiki - Beautiful Chocolate Man
    Temp - Ineegø - ınıgo
    DK - Inigø - Alfeus - Down for Maintenance
    Warden - Help I Made a Warden
    PC NA
    Youtube Stuffs
    Only the best memes die twice
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Well, until you get 4+ axes its easy to not have to block especially with the amount of hp youll have. The nerf to balance wasnt as much as a nerf as i think people received. Normalizing the health drain from it feels more like a buff honestly. I still use it in every trial. That being said its a bit more difficult to pull off in vaa axe fight but still possible for sure. The reason why ill never run tavas + shuffle is because of the nerf to dodge and the increase cost of skills like that not to mention the meta of more hp and less resources.

I see, never used balance or the other morph myself, got almost 2k magicka recovery so never felt a need for it. But cool to know it still works.
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    On my Templar tank I just use hist+dragon+EG for vaa. Been thinking of replacing dragon with leeching for more healing on HM so healers don't have to touch me. Resources are never a problem as long as u taunt with mag and stam. The sets really aren't that big of a deal on this fight, its more controlling the axes(taunting them when they spawn behind an atro) and not dying when things get hairy.
  • cosplayerrain
    cosplayerrain
    ✭✭
    For axes- plague for extra health to yourself and dragon to gain your ulti back super quick
  • cosplayerrain
    cosplayerrain
    ✭✭
    Because the healer will provide you synergies. Alkosh is decent too. The ritual should be put down and shards so you get resources back and also healer should run master resto, which also gives back Stam too.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Because the healer will provide you synergies. Alkosh is decent too. The ritual should be put down and shards so you get resources back and also healer should run master resto, which also gives back Stam too.

Alkosh is 100% useless while tanking Axes. You are not meant to kill the axes so a resistance debuff is not needed.
  • ARIES SERPICO
    ARIES SERPICO
    ✭✭
    It used multiple sets like
    Hist Bark-Footman-Malubeth helm Shoulder
    Ebon (Even though some are out of range for buff) Hist bark-Bloodspawn
    Mixed in Lunar bastion sometimes also. so there are multiple options depending only on wat set up you feel comfortable with.
  • XGCAlbatr0ss
    XGCAlbatr0ss
    ✭✭✭
    I've been running automated defense and dragon for that fight with chudan. It works wonders, that 20% msg mitigation every 45 seconds works wonders. If I don't feel like running that than I'll do plague and lunar bastion.
  • XGCAlbatr0ss
    XGCAlbatr0ss
    ✭✭✭
    Dmg**
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't have to good choice right?

Plague and green pact showed me I had much to learn while I almost fell off the cliff.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Doesn't have to good choice right?

Plague and green pact showed me I had much to learn while I almost fell off the cliff.

You'll not die unless you run out of stamina and get CCd, and in that case you will because usually axes hit consecutively and if you can't break CC you are dead o matter how much health you have. As for falling off the cliff it's not always the tank's fault. If the other players fail to pop the mines before they blow up and spread the dark AoE on the ground, tanking the axes in a fixed spot becomes impossible because of that DoT stacked on top of the damage that gets trough block. That's the reason I stopped doing trials for a couple of months when I first got that nasty problem.

As for Green Pact and Plague Doctor, they will be hit hard with the nerf hammer next patch, cutting 1.5K and 2K health respectively. And that's on top of the previous nerf to ingenous shield for group which made stacking health less useful in the first place. Sets may come and go, but what matters is skill. A magicka sustain and high ultimate generation setup works best there because if you are a DK you can turn that into stamina readily. The helping hands and battle roar changes only affected you negatively if you had > 25K stamina, for tanks that had magicka and stamina resource pools around 20K it is actually a slight buff.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tanked it on HM this past Monday in just PD and Ebon. It's been awhile since I tanked it so I did have 1 or 2 BoL's from my team right before we went in for execute, but a minor adjustment alleviates the need for that anyway. Aside from that, I had no help with resources (including orbs and shards) and did no heavy attacks for stam either.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tanked axes on vAA HM last night for the first time in months--I hadn't done it since some time during the Homestead patch. I had heard good things about Defending Warrior (Resilient Yokeda), and it looked like that Leeching would be a good set to go alongside it, so I tried out that combo last night (in the past, I just tanked it in the same gear that I used for the rest of the trial).

And then I come onto the forums to see that @paulsimonps had the exact same idea.

I loved it. I had 4x sturdy, 4x infused (all the large pieces were infused because most of the pieces that I had were collected pre-Morrowind), 3x block cost enchants. I never ran into stamina issues. I never needed an orb/shard, and I never needed a heal (the healers were free to devote their full attention to the group). I had no need for a defensive ultimate, so I used War Horn (I'd step off my rock and closer to the group to blow it, if there wasn't a black hole there at the time). At one point, we called for a wipe, and I decided to see how long I could hold out. With everyone else dead, 4 axes, 3 atros, and 2 mini-mages all beating up on me, it took almost half a minute for me to finally die.

So, yea, my vote is for Resilient/Leeching. That said, anything could work--my first time doing axes on vAA HM was in Ebon/Alkosh--but having that extra margin from Resilient/Leeching means that I could support the group indirectly by not consuming any of the attention or resources of the healers.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • TankHealz2015
    TankHealz2015
    ✭✭✭

vAA tanking the axes -- Pro Tip (i just learned this... )

It's not about your armor sets- it's about your tactics.

I had been tanking all wrong and sometimes just getting lucky...

The key to tanking those axes in vAA =

1. range taunt the axes to a little stone out cropping-- at the edge.

why : because they will be far from the group and not get hit by any group damage

2. I'm a DK so- slot Ash Cloud skill - ground based persistent AoE

why : because it is a DoT and it returns a bit of stam on cast. The axes will all be standing in your AoE as a precaution that they do not lose interest in you and wander away. Even though nobody else is hitting them.. you gotta be safe

3. You don't need to re-taunt the axes- once you got them --you got them and they stay with you-- i was over taunting and running out of stam all the time. and wondering,, why do i keep running out of stam, what am i doing wrong. etc.etc

Using this (guidance from a guildie) I had no problem at all tanking all 5 axes... somebody threw an occasional healing orb or shards at me, but to be honest they were not necesary.

front bar : range taunt, heroic slash, defensive posture, ash cloud, harden armor
    back bar :smile: dont use it. always stay on front for this fight.

My armor sets when I learned this tactic: Livewire + Dragonguard + Bloodspawn
    only sturdy traits i had were on the 3 jewelry pieces.

--I did use a couple potions , but just a couple.. nothing more than normal

I have been tanking for a long time, and nobody ever taught me this until just a few days ago.

Hope this helps somebody out there.
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, volatile armor also works. Same thing with ozaras adds except for the troll one they are on you they stay on you.