The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Tanks: What are your favorite sets for the axes in AA?

pizzaow
pizzaow
✭✭✭
Curious what other tanks are running in this fight post-Morrowind.
XBox/NA GT: Pizzaow
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have been working on a set up for the Axes but I don't have all the pieces yet. It would be 5p of Defending Warrior and 5p of Leeching plate. Get that with all sturdy and all other sources of block cost reduction and you will be able to block forever and both of your sets will heal you a ton and deal enough damage in AoE to keep agro on them without having to retaunt as long as they don't get hit by other people, so no shards allowed, but but healing orbs are.
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can still use you old sets just use the 1h+Shield ultimate and have 30k+ Stam
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can still use you old sets just use the 1h+Shield ultimate and have 30k+ Stam

Your max stamina doesn't mean anything in that fight.
  • pizzaow
    pizzaow
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any risk to that strategy @paulsimonps?.. where you are counting on aoe damage to hold aggro? If that works, I like that a lot because my biggest issue is resource management with 5+ axes, with most of my resources being spent on taunting.

Do you know how much DPS is needed for this tactic? Do you think inhale would be enough DPS?

Until I get defending warrior, would you recommend pairing leeching with ebon, plague, lich, dragon or hist bark... or go for something different?
    XBox/NA GT: Pizzaow
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Akaviri Dragonguard + Tava's Favor + Bloodspawn
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    pizzaow wrote: »
    Is there any risk to that strategy @paulsimonps?.. where you are counting on aoe damage to hold aggro? If that works, I like that a lot because my biggest issue is resource management with 5+ axes, with most of my resources being spent on taunting.

Do you know how much DPS is needed for this tactic? Do you think inhale would be enough DPS?

Until I get defending warrior, would you recommend pairing leeching with ebon, plague, lich, dragon or hist bark... or go for something different?

Dragon to get Sword and Board ulti faster. For that situation you want to morph that makes 1h&S skills not cost anything for its duration, thats how a lot of people keep taunts up on all of them. But the damage needed to keep aggro on them is not that high, those 2 sets and Hardened Armor is more than enough for it. And the risk is, that if someone else hits them, well then you need to taunted for real again, FAST. Just be far enough away from the actual fight and make your DPSs be on the other side as much as they can and you are fine.

During vAA HM, where there are 2 tanks you can have the Atro tank take some axes too to make it easier to do it. I usually take the 5th and 6th Axe if needed, if we get that many, when I go atro tank.
  • Trashkan
    Trashkan
    ✭✭✭
    Guys trust me on this one this set up has worked for me for 2+ years now. Hist bark, footman, and bloodspawn. Use your Magika taunt inner fire and just keep in the rythem of keeping your timers up slot magma shell for when pools form under feet and new axe appears this way you can just drop block and run through it to grab atro when axe is out of range or behind boss. We had a really bad run a month or 2 ago where I was holding 5 axes for about 3 min+ and wasn't an issue until my healer dropped along with rest of the group.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Trashkan wrote: »
    Guys trust me on this one this set up has worked for me for 2+ years now. Hist bark, footman, and bloodspawn. Use your Magika taunt inner fire and just keep in the rythem of keeping your timers up slot magma shell for when pools form under feet and new axe appears this way you can just drop block and run through it to grab atro when axe is out of range or behind boss. We had a really bad run a month or 2 ago where I was holding 5 axes for about 3 min+ and wasn't an issue until my healer dropped along with rest of the group.

Are you a time traveler?
  • Trashkan
    Trashkan
    ✭✭✭

Are you a time traveler?
    ????? Game launched in april 2014 and A.A has been around since May or june 2014. I only ran footman since maybe late 2014 and bloodspawn since monster helms dropped but build for axes hasn't really changed. I guess everything but bloodspawn for 2+.
    Edited by Trashkan on July 14, 2017 5:05PM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Are you a time traveler?
    ????? Game launched in april 2014 and A.A has been around since May or june 2014. I only ran footman since maybe late 2014 and bloodspawn since monster helms dropped but build for axes hasn't really changed. I guess everything but bloodspawn for 2+.

Just making a joke, that set up used to be the tank Meta a long time ago, during when upper craglorn first came out. Its what tanks used before there was a better alternative. I too used footman for a while, before I noticed it wasn't worth it, its what made me start my damage mitigation testing that I still do.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It doesn't take a lot of damage just somewhat consistent damage. The tank I run with just uses Volatile Armor and Dawnbreaker (not a lot of damage on a tank spec).
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• xb1LL_mr_sir_LL
    xb1LL_mr_sir_LL
    ✭✭✭
    been runnin lich jewelry and SnB on my dk tank
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

It doesn't take a lot of damage just somewhat consistent damage. The tank I run with just uses Volatile Armor and Dawnbreaker (not a lot of damage on a tank spec).

Why would you use dawnbreaker on axes? It doesn't do anything on them. The 1H+S ultimate is cheaper and helps you get a few HA off to regain most of your stamina.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »

Why would you use dawnbreaker on axes? It doesn't do anything on them. The 1H+S ultimate is cheaper and helps you get a few HA off to regain most of your stamina.

You use it for the DoT so you don't have to keep taunting them. He basically just taunts them when they first spawn then just keeps them there by keeping DoTs (DB and Volatile Armor) on them. Just like @paulsimonps said, you don't need to keep taunting them as long as others are hitting them.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You use it for the DoT so you don't have to keep taunting them. He basically just taunts them when they first spawn then just keeps them there by keeping DoTs (DB and Volatile Armor) on them. Just like @paulsimonps said, you don't need to keep taunting them as long as others are hitting them.

I think Asardes means it would be more beneficial to use other abilities or sets to do the damage rather than using your ultimate for it.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think Asardes means it would be more beneficial to use other abilities or sets to do the damage rather than using your ultimate for it.

That's probably true but I've never seen him have issues with it and I've seen him tank 6 axes, so it certainly works. My point in mentioning it was that the damage doesn't need to be significant to hold agro, not that it was the most efficient way to do it.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it works, but I prefer having a hard taunt on them because a few times I got stray shots from the DDs "stealing" axes even with cinder storm under them and volatile armor up. So if I feel my stamina is running out and the horn is not yet full I cast shield discipline, retaunt then for free and weave a couple of HA in between to refill my stamina.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it works, but I prefer having a hard taunt on them because a few times I got stray shots from the DDs "stealing" axes even with cinder storm under them and volatile armor up. So if I feel my stamina is running out and the horn is not yet full I cast shield discipline, retaunt then for free and weave a couple of HA in between to refill my stamina.

Well like I said already I wasn't saying it's the best way to do it, I wasn't even suggesting anyone do it. All I was doing was answering the question "Do you know how much DPS is needed for this tactic?", which I was demonstrating how little damage it actually takes. I wouldn't make suggestions or give advice on tanking unless it was very basic stuff, because I don't tank. I enjoy my "all glory, it's never my fault that we wiped" DPS role. :tongue:
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Trashkan
    Trashkan
    ✭✭✭

Are you a time traveler?

Just making a joke, that set up used to be the tank Meta a long time ago, during when upper craglorn first came out. Its what tanks used before there was a better alternative. I too used footman for a while, before I noticed it wasn't worth it, its what made me start my damage mitigation testing that I still do.

I also role a lot of dmg not and ult regen builds for my tank. But I run alpha gear and it is an easy switch to make for this fight. Given the amount of block cost reduction on footman and using block cost reduction glyphs on jewellery stacked with hist bark you are a beast with axes stamina is not an issue until 4 show up and since you are alone and not debuffing boss I find this the best set for this fight still imo.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Are you a time traveler?

I also role a lot of dmg not and ult regen builds for my tank. But I run alpha gear and it is an easy switch to make for this fight. Given the amount of block cost reduction on footman and using block cost reduction glyphs on jewellery stacked with hist bark you are a beast with axes stamina is not an issue until 4 show up and since you are alone and not debuffing boss I find this the best set for this fight still imo.

Ah yes, that's well and good and all if it wasn't for the fact that Footman doesn't do that. No block cost reduction on that set what so ever, that was a false notion someone started long ago that I guess still kind lives on? It only mitigates an extra 8% damage when you block, that is it. And if you know your damage mitigation formula you would that 8% in the grand scheme of things changes very very little, diminishing returns are huge, especially on tanks that even without trying stack a lot of mitigation. You would be better of running another set, Footman works, but it never was as good as people thought it was, which is why its dropped out of favor when people realized that.
  • Trashkan
    Trashkan
    ✭✭✭
    If that was true it would say 8% dmg reduction. On the tool tip it clearly says 8% block mitigation and i can definitely feel the difference when its not equipped. I will do some more testing later to confirm.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If that was true it would say 8% dmg reduction. On the tool tip it clearly says 8% block mitigation and i can definitely feel the difference when its not equipped. I will do some more testing later to confirm.

It says, "Increases the amount of damage you can block by 8%" thing is the Dragonknights Ironskin passive says the exact same thing but its 10%, and they don't get extra block cost reduction, I also did test footman for that a long time ago. Also Damage reduction=/=block mitigation, there is a difference. Things that say "Increases the amount of damage you can block by 8%" only works when you block and the calculations are done differently.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-and-list-of-options/p1
  • Trashkan
    Trashkan
    ✭✭✭
    Footman clearly says increases block mitigation by 8%. http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Footman's+Fortune+Set

I'm not trying to argue by the way this is new info to me since it has been a staple on my oak tree tank. Just want to know all the facts and when it says 8% to block mit I assume it implies reducing cost of stamina just like the in the c.p system under block mit. I notice a huge difference when running maelstrom using this c.p passive when taking damage while blocking.
    Edited by Trashkan on July 15, 2017 5:08PM
  • Oompuh
    Oompuh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Footman clearly says increases block mitigation by 8%. http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Footman's+Fortune+Set

Block mitigation is the amount of damage you can block... technicalities in the set description don't make the set better
    Xbox NA - Oompa
    Khajiit DK Tank
    Founder of Major Aegis
    Main Tank of Dissonant Crusade Uprising Savages
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm not trying to argue by the way this is new info to me since it has been a staple on my oak tree tank. Just want to know all the facts and when it says 8% to block mit I assume it implies reducing cost of stamina just like the in the c.p system under block mit. I notice a huge difference when running maelstrom using this c.p passive when taking damage while blocking.

Don't always trust wikies

C4p3LFG.png

Screenshot from in game I took just a few seconds ago.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Wait what are you talking about in regards to CP?
  • Trashkan
    Trashkan
    ✭✭✭
    My bad block expertise is diff. Looks like it's back to the drawing boards. Never had issues running this but let's see if I can do better. Bunch of footman haters. It will always be o.p in my heart and i will always out tank you hahahaha. Peace I'm out!!!!!
    Edited by Trashkan on July 15, 2017 8:56PM
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    I have been working on a set up for the Axes but I don't have all the pieces yet. It would be 5p of Defending Warrior and 5p of Leeching plate. Get that with all sturdy and all other sources of block cost reduction and you will be able to block forever and both of your sets will heal you a ton and deal enough damage in AoE to keep agro on them without having to retaunt as long as they don't get hit by other people, so no shards allowed, but but healing orbs are.

I've used this very effectively in that fight... The more axes the merrier! And in rkugamz and you're good to go! Also that shining shield from defending warrior looks awesom! There's a defending unique leeching sword from Lord warden and reinforced shield from the ICP quest. So pair that with defending warrior body pieces :smile:
    Edited by Masel on July 15, 2017 9:27PM
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »

I've used this very effectively in that fight... The more axes the merrier! And in rkugamz and you're good to go! Also that shining shield from defending warrior looks awesom! There's a defending unique leeching sword from Lord warden and reinforced shield from the ICP quest. So pair that with defending warrior body pieces :smile:

Except the problem in that fight is not health, but stamina sustain, so even a combo of two sets that restore health won't do you any good. If you run out of stamina one attack will put you on your knees and the next one will one shot you almost for sure, regardless of healing. Sets like Defending Warrior, Leeching Plate and Bahraha's Curse are only good in dungeons to keep you healed in trash packs, but in trials are utterly useless.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »

Except the problem in that fight is not health, but stamina sustain, so even a combo of two sets that restore health won't do you any good. If you run out of stamina one attack will put you on your knees and the next one will one shot you almost for sure, regardless of healing. Sets like Defending Warrior, Leeching Plate and Bahraha's Curse are only good in dungeons to keep you healed in trash packs, but in trials are utterly useless.

With a block cost of 88 stamina, you can be attributed cost of 352 every second. Constitution on 7 heavy gives you 757 every 4 seconds. 352*4=1408, 1408-757=651. Helping Hand gives 990, a Igneous Shield every 4s is not bad, and that is not counting using the low costing One Handed and Shield Ultimate to get even more back via Battle Roar. With the One Handed and Shield ultimate you can even use heavy attacks and if morphed too it make One Handed and Shield cost nothing for the duration of the Ultimate. And like I said above the healing morph of the Orbs can also be used if sent by the healer as it will not take aggro from you even if the Axes are not actually taunted. In most situations in the Mage fight the Axe tank is too far away to actually give Warhorn consistently to everyone, to dangerous to move around to such a location, so you don't really lose much by not using it.

So this set up does work really well in keeping a lot of Axes on you with little to no effort. But obviously this set up is for this fight and this fight alone, not to be used in the entire Trial.