The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

My sorcerer is completely useless.

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On behalf of the rest of the community, we hope you stick around.
    agree.gif
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blanco wrote: »
    I would almost just say give up on it if the most you can achieve is 6k dps.

That isn't meant to be offensive. But it's just so absurdly low, there's an argument that you should just quit trying to dps, at least with that toon.

I would suggest to you, make a new toon or just switch roles.

That's just silly advice. If he was playing one of the tougher classes like a stamblade and pulling 6k, I might suggest try something a little easier, but this is simply a case of needing pointed in the right direction towards a proper rotation and build, and of course, OP is going to need to spend some hours on a target dummy. If on PC/NA, you are always welcome to use mine. I have all the mundus stones and 6 dummies, so its usually a party Bearclaw Manor. The more the merrier. :smile:

Tanks and Healers frankly both take as much or more skill to do effectively, and a sorc HA build is about as easy as it gets for DPS right now. You are basically telling him to uninstall the game. On behalf of the rest of the community, we hope you stick around. Nobody starts pulling 40k out of the gate, despite what they say on the forums.

That's fine, but I can tell you that I don't enjoy grouping with a dps of these numbers whether it be in group finder or other circumstances.

If you like to play with them, have at it. But I prefer to encourage everyone to perform at the best of their capability, even if it means switching roles because it wasn't working out. :)

DPS is the hardest role. It's the most prevalent, but it is also the most difficult to perform at an adequate level.
    Edited by Betsararie on September 28, 2017 7:59PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That isn't meant to be offensive. But it's just so absurdly low, there's an argument that you should just quit trying to dps, at least with that toon.

That's just silly advice. If he was playing one of the tougher classes like a stamblade and pulling 6k, I might suggest try something a little easier, but this is simply a case of needing pointed in the right direction towards a proper rotation and build, and of course, OP is going to need to spend some hours on a target dummy. If on PC/NA, you are always welcome to use mine. I have all the mundus stones and 6 dummies, so its usually a party Bearclaw Manor. The more the merrier. :smile:

Tanks and Healers frankly both take as much or more skill to do effectively, and a sorc HA build is about as easy as it gets for DPS right now. You are basically telling him to uninstall the game. On behalf of the rest of the community, we hope you stick around. Nobody starts pulling 40k out of the gate, despite what they say on the forums.

That's fine, but I can tell you that I don't enjoy grouping with a dps of these numbers whether it be in group finder or other circumstances.

If you like to play with them, have at it. But I prefer to encourage everyone to perform at the best of their capability, even if it means switching roles because it wasn't working out. :)

This is not a case of a person queuing for group finder as DPS with sword and board and a resto staff that gives you the finger when you try to make a suggestion. This is a guy that has realized his DPS needs work and has come to the forums for help. Well, you are not being helpful in any way whatsoever. Some of us are trying because we realize that MMOs are only as good as the community that plays them. There is no easier roll than DPS as a Magic Sorc, and there is no better way to break into end game content, which is what OP is trying to do.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on September 28, 2017 8:07PM
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not a case of a person queuing for group finder as DPS with sword and board and a resto staff that gives you the finger when you try to make a suggestion. This is a guy that has realized his DPS needs work and has come to the forums for help. Well, you are not being helpful in any way whatsoever. Some of us are trying because we realize that MMOs are only as good as the community that plays them. There is no easier roll than DPS as a Magic Sorc, and there is no better way to break into end game content, which is what OP is trying to do.

Well, it can be improved.

You know if someone wants to improve, I'm all for that. Once an adequate attempt is made at improvement, further judgments can then be made.

Mag sorc dps is pretty easy which is why the number is just too low. The person must not be using skills, or running a pet which oftentimes helps.

Pulling 40k as a mag sorc is incredibly difficult, but pulling 20k is incredibly easy, and 20k is 'adequate' (probably), so really it should be possible for almost anyone. I've been in the >30k range for a while now which is fine for me who primarily does PvE for farming, but when I first started out DPSing, I looked up some rotations on the internet and found what was considered BiS gear at the time, and tried to replicate the setup to the best of my ability. I would hope OP is doing/has done the same.
  • Nord_Templar
    Nord_Templar
    ✭✭✭
    The worst thing is that the game has turned into a contest, who deals more damage per second, you or another player.
    This game is hell, and demons are violence, greed, vanity.
    Demons who torture and eat our time, our lives.
    The demons that we created for ourselves.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried the "proper" rotation again and went from 6k dps to 7k. Oh well. Obviously I'm still extremely clumsy with it, but I guess I will not be able to squeeze more than 8k out of it.
    When I look at my character sheet, I see (I have removed the Cultist set and am back to Netch+Sorrow): 1255 Spell damage, 64% crit, 7k spell penetration. I suspect the spell damage should be higher, but before I upgrade my gear (which I will, i.e. glyphs etc.), I have some further questions:

1) Considering I am around CP210, what would you say the priorities are? I think I am looking for carefully distributing the points among the most important passives, but I am not entirely sure which ones should take priority (like dot dmg over shock dmg, direct dmg, etc.).

2) Staff enchants. My staff is Precise. Is there anything terribly wrong about that, or shall I look for something else? I would consider Sharpened, but I heard it was useless after the recent nerf.

3) Rotation and quickbars: why do you (can't remember who posted it) have the dots on the 2nd bar when you always start with them? Wouldn't it make more sense to have them on the 1st?
    Anyway, I will see how this works (and yes, I really do not intend to use pets - I just hate them and they add to the already significant confusion): bar1: LL, Blockade, Curse, Wrath (unsure), Ward, Meteor. Bar2: Pulse, Clench, Surge, Boundless storm, Dark exchange, Thunderous rage. Again, this is just a first attempt to get a feel for completely different bars than what I've been physically comfortable with all the time.
    Edited by Octopuss on September 28, 2017 9:12PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    why do you (can't remember who posted it) have the dots on the 2nd bar when you always start with them? Wouldn't it make more sense to have them on the 1st?
    DOT = Damage Over Time

You start with the dots precisely because they last several seconds, which is why you have them on the back bar.
    Cast them, then switch to your main bar and use those skills with your light attack weaving until your dots run out, swap to back bar, re-apply dots, rinse and repeat.

You will spent a lot more time on your front bar (the one without the dots) ...
    post-2-1445282250.gif
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried the "proper" rotation again and went from 6k dps to 7k. Oh well. Obviously I'm still extremely clumsy with it, but I guess I will not be able to squeeze more than 8k out of it.
    When I look at my character sheet, I see (I have removed the Cultist set and am back to Netch+Sorrow): 1255 Spell damage, 64% crit, 7k spell penetration. I suspect the spell damage should be higher, but before I upgrade my gear (which I will, i.e. glyphs etc.), I have some further questions:

1) Considering I am around CP210, what would you say the priorities are? I think I am looking for carefully distributing the points among the most important passives, but I am not entirely sure which ones should take priority (like dot dmg over shock dmg, direct dmg, etc.).

2) Staff enchants. My staff is Precise. Is there anything terribly wrong about that, or shall I look for something else? I would consider Sharpened, but I heard it was useless after the recent nerf.

3) Rotation and quickbars: why do you (can't remember who posted it) have the dots on the 2nd bar when you always start with them? Wouldn't it make more sense to have them on the 1st?
    Anyway, I will see how this works (and yes, I really do not intend to use pets - I just hate them and they add to the already significant confusion): bar1: LL, Blockade, Curse, Wrath (unsure), Ward, Meteor. Bar2: Pulse, Clench, Surge, Boundless storm, Dark exchange, Thunderous rage. Again, this is just a first attempt to get a feel for completely different bars than what I've been physically comfortable with all the time.

Strongly recommend an infused staff with an elemental damage enchant on your main bar (the bar you spend most of your time on). Literally the enchant proc alone on an infused staff is 2-3k DPS. You back bar (where you cast all your dots) can be whatever (precise is fine). Put a +spell damage enchant on your back bar.

Also, your spell damage is very, very low. Most people sit at 2k minimum unbuffed. Sounds like your ring enchantments are not spell damage. Also, it's obvious you aren't using a cp160 GOLD staff (there is a 200 damage buff between purple and gold quality). You are low CP, so a reduced cost on at least one piece of jewelry is fine. But at least have one spell damage enchant.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I know. Like I said - I am in the process of figuring what exactly to do with my gear and then start upgrading.
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worst thing is that the game has turned into a contest, who deals more damage per second, you or another player.
    This game is hell, and demons are violence, greed, vanity.
    Demons who torture and eat our time, our lives.
    The demons that we created for ourselves.

Even though towards the end of this you stopped making sense, I'll have you know that the only thing that matters in a game is winning and beating other people.

That is the 'fun'. If it wasn't about that at any point, then it was even worse
    Edited by Betsararie on September 28, 2017 9:48PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now you are gonna make me sound harsh. haha. Use pets or change classes. If you want a ranged magic DPS but dont want a pet, you should play magic Nightblade. You are basically taking your biggest class advantage and saying, nah, I dont want to use it. It's like a DK saying I dont want to use fire damage or a templar refusing to use Jesus Beam. The Pet AI is MUCH better than it used to be. They will automatically target anything you do a heavy attack on. Pet passives give extra health, which combined with Necro gear means you can get to 50k+ magic and 18.5k health. One of a sorcs biggest class advantage is raw stats. Play to that.

Precise is blah these days. Infused staff with a shock enchant will do 3k on its own. Sharp is better than precise for sure, and at your CP, it might even be better than infused.

As to rotation, you can setup your bars anyway you want. Either way you are going to hit your bar swap button about every 4-5 seconds. Most people put buffs and DOTs on one bar and build the other bar for their spam skills and heavy attacking. The heavy attack bars I gave you have a few advantages. First, all your DOTs can quickly be cast from your back bar. Second, your execute and shield are both on a bar that is going to have a buff to max magic and spell crit with inner light so they are more effective. If you look at the FP bars I gave you, it makes the rotation more complicate because you are splitting your DOTS over multiple bars. It also moves your shield to your back bar, which is always a little tougher in an emergency. The upside is that you spend a bit more time on your front bar which gives you more chances to proc your frags and you spend more time on a bar that has better stats.

Your spell damage is ridiculously low. Your crit if anything is a touch high. Spell pen is a bit low, but a good group helps there. Also, be sure you have your light armor passives. I might suggest giving us a video of your target dummy rotation. It would help us see what is going on. You need to figure out where you are getting major sorcery (potions or power surge) and you need spell damage enchants on your jewelry. A gold front bar weapon will also give your spell damage a big boost.

If you are dead set on a non pet sorc, you will want shock clench as one of your DOTs and there is no reason to run frags. Netch doesnt boost magic damage only shock damage.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on September 28, 2017 9:35PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now you are gonna make me sound harsh. haha. Use pets or change classes. If you want a ranged magic DPS but dont want a pet, you should play magic Nightblade. You are basically taking your biggest class advantage and saying, nah, I dont want to use it. It's like a DK saying I dont want to use fire damage or a templar refusing to use Jesus Beam. The Pet AI is MUCH better than it used to be. They will automatically target anything you do a heavy attack on. Pet passives give extra health, which combined with Necro gear means you can get to 50k+ magic and 18.5k health. One of a sorcs biggest class advantage is raw stats. Play to that.

Precise is blah these days. Infused staff with a shock enchant will do 3k on its own. Sharp is better than precise for sure, and at your CP, it might even be better than infused.

As to rotation, you can setup your bars anyway you want. Either way you are going to hit your bar swap button about every 4-5 seconds. Most people put buffs and DOTs on one bar and build the other bar for their spam skills and heavy attacking. The heavy attack bars I gave you have a few advantages. First, all your DOTs can quickly be cast from your back bar. Second, your execute and shield are both on a bar that is going to have a buff to max magic and spell crit with inner light so they are more effective. If you look at the FP bars I gave you, it makes the rotation more complicate because you are splitting your DOTS over multiple bars. It also moves your shield to your back bar, which is always a little tougher in an emergency. The upside is that you spend a bit more time on your front bar which gives you more chances to proc your frags and you spend more time on a bar that has better stats.

Your spell damage is ridiculously low. Your crit if anything is a touch high. Spell pen is a bit low, but a good group helps there. Also, be sure you have your light armor passives. I might suggest giving us a video of your target dummy rotation. It would help us see what is going on. You need to figure out where you are getting major sorcery (potions or power surge) and you need spell damage enchants on your jewelry. A gold front bar weapon will also give your spell damage a big boost.

If you are dead set on a non pet sorc, you will want shock clench as one of your DOTs and there is no reason to run frags. Netch doesnt boost magic damage only shock damage.

Edit: also, you have been practicing the "proper" rotation for what, 30 minutes? It's going to take longer than that I am afraid.
  • Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I know. Like I said - I am in the process of figuring what exactly to do with my gear and then start upgrading.

I think you just need to sit down and read all this advice given here on this forum and start practicing your rotation.
    Just to test something, i logged on to my alt account (cp200) and hopped on a lvl22 sorc with all random mismatched gear dropped from zone, 0 sets, garbage jewelry, garbage staves, no potion and no ele drain (weakness of ele-ing myself) and was able to do 15k on the dummy.

It's really all in the rotation. Gear and level is important, but rotation and practice is more important.
    PC / NA
    Templar Healer "False Eye"
    Sorc Healer "Potema the Wolf Queen"
    Warden Healer "Heavy Attacks Online"
    Magicka Nightblade DPS "Nephaleth Telvanni"
    Dragonknight Tank "Nico's Facsimile"

Builds & Guides:
    Horow's Templar Healer Guide for Trials (Murkmire updated)
    How to get Felms to jump correctly in vAS HM?
    Horow's vMA Magicka Sorc Build for beginners and lazy farmers
    Horow's Magicka Sorc Triple Pet Heavy Attack Build - Summerset Isles Ready
    More builds at anthem-guild.com/pve/.

Notable Achievements:
    - World's first 18 Axes vAA clear
    - World's first 20+ enrage stack Llothis in vAS HM and World record cone damage
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you heard of LL and wall OP? Just by running those 2 skills you should be able to break 6k, especially if you're running the pet and daedric prey.

• Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you heard of LL and wall OP? Just by running those 2 skills you should be able to break 6k, especially if you're running the pet and daedric prey.
    Acronyms again.
    Didn't bother to read my posts about pets either.
    0/10, try again.
    Edited by Octopuss on September 29, 2017 7:57AM
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

DPS is the hardest role. It's the most prevalent, but it is also the most difficult to perform at an adequate level.
    What a dumb, dumb post. Sorry, there is no different possible way to put it. He only started playing the game recently... I suppose, according to your reasoning, it is impossible for people to learn and improve? What the hell dude? OP is asking questions and being critical of himself. That is the 1st step towards improvement.

Honestly, just get your selfish entitled [snip] out of this thread. Nobody cares that you don't like playing with low dps.

[Edited for profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on September 30, 2017 12:20PM
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I was just about to politely ask him to leave this thread. I am kind of sensitive to this sort of useless, borderline insultive crap.

I might not listen to all the advices (for example the pets part, because I have my reason not to play this way - and I think it's perfectly fine when I see one of my guildmates solo veteran dungeons without pets), but generally I welcome all constructive criticism and suggestions. What he keeps posting is just bunch of annoying unhelpful garbage.
    Edited by Octopuss on September 29, 2017 10:02AM
  • Cybercore_Death
    Cybercore_Death
    ✭✭✭
    What i would advise it to go on a Skyshard hunt and get yourself plenty of skill points to play with.

Make sure you have leveled up the following Skill line to the max:
    - Destruction Staff
    - Light Armor
    - Medium Armor
    - Heavy Armor
    - Mages Guild (If you end up slotting any Mages Guild skills)
    - Undaunted
    - Fighter Guild

Each of these skill line have really important passives that will help you reach higher numbers. Again these passives need to be used in conjunction with the right gear and the right skills (and rotation).

if you haven't already there are settings you can toggle on that will tell you which skills are doing damage over time and will also have a timer to show you when they are going to end. You can also run mods that will give you a better indication of this to manage them easier.

Have the right gear is paramount to having the right skills and rotation. As long as you have at least purple level gear and enchantments you'll be fine. You can look to upgrade each piece to golden as you play through.

To get some extra levels and get access to more CP i would recommend you go around each area and find every quest you can. Complete them all. Complete Cadwell's Bronze / Silver / Gold (basically you complete all "main quests" for each faction of the game). You get a decent level of xp for exploring and finding new locations. You earn skills points for completing certain quests / dungeons. Really push through this content, no matter how tedious it becomes at times, because this will help you to perfect your rotation and also get you the levels you need to allocate more CP. You'll also learn a few enemy mechanics that will help you later in the game as well which is nice.

I run an mDK (and have done for most of my time playing), and from doing all 3 factions of campaign (as well as dungeons, some PvP and making sure i cleared every delve / public dungeon) i came out around CP level 520 ish.

Food is a very important factor as well. You need to have the right food to give you the most health and magicka boost.

As advised previously Sorcs have a few skills that help you to survive. You'll possibly hear the term "shields up" at some point. This links with what i was saying about mods / in game settings that display anything with a timer linked to the skill. So you can activate your shield and your surge skill and keep an eye on the timer / mod indicator. Once they're about to expire then you just re apply them.

Personally, i would recommend using @Alcast builds to the T to start with as they're pretty solid all round. Once you get comfortable with the game and your skills and rotation then you can look to expand on this and change things slightly to suit you.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-sorcerer-build-pve/

Focus on using this build to start with.

Make to follow the the correct weight for gear as listed. The reason being that once you unlock undaunted passives you get a boost to your resources (health / magicka / stamina) for wearing 1 of each weight.

Julianos is an easy to get set and gives a good all round boost to your character.
    The netch set is fairly easy to obtain (easier if you can get a group to grind the dungeon with you for the right pieces).
    I would recommend having all divine traits on your armor pieces and going with the apprentice mundus stone for the boost to your spell damage.
    For your race you would be better being an Altmer as this will work well with the build in terms of passives offered and boost to elemental damage.
    Dont bother with being a Vamp until you're comfortable with the game, rotation and combat mechanics as it will more than likely just make things difficult for you.

What i would also advise is reading through the descriptions for each of the skills / passives for the build. Reason being it will help you to understand why you need the passives you need and why you need to use the skills in the right order and re apply them at the right time.

Thats my advice to you coming from a guy who's been playing for about 2.5 years now and is still learning as i go. Also its worth taking on board what people are saying on here and what Alcast says on his page / in his videos as its all current and relevant advice. If you google for what you need the chances are you'll find info that is outdated so just refer back to here or Alcast whenever you're not sure.

Above all else, dont give up. it will get easier and there will always be people happy to offer help and advice when you need it.

If anyone gives you a hard time for asking questions or makes you feel like you should already know the answer for the questions you ask just ignore them. You'll find there are a lot of "elitist" players who have forgotten what its like to be new to the game. Dont let them get to you.
    I'm a Dunmer DK Damage Dealer - My that's a lot of D's
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi OP.

If your Spell Damage is only 1255, you are not using a GOLD (highest quality) staff, since a GOLD staff will give you 1335 Spell and Weapon Damage all on it's own.

Then you can add to that at least one enchantment on a ring or necklace for 174 more spell damage (when your Champion Points get higher you can start to convert these all to Spell Damage) for a total of 1509 Spell Damage (1857 once you can use more Champion Points for better sustain)

• Morvane
    Morvane
    ✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Hi OP.

If your Spell Damage is only 1255, you are not using a GOLD (highest quality) staff, since a GOLD staff will give you 1335 Spell and Weapon Damage all on it's own.

Then you can add to that at least one enchantment on a ring or necklace for 174 more spell damage (when your Champion Points get higher you can start to convert these all to Spell Damage) for a total of 1509 Spell Damage (1857 once you can use more Champion Points for better sustain)

if his spell damage is 1200 it seems he forget to slot weapons
    DC Dunmer Sorcerer since 2014
    @morvayn54, PC/EU
  • tommalmm
    tommalmm
    ✭✭✭
    That might sound like a silly question, but is all your gear cp160? The way it scales since one tamriel makes using lower level gear punish you a lot. It's hard to imagine any other case you would end up at 6k dps. If you don't like pets, just try something VERY simple at the beginning. Apply all your DOTs (damage over time) and do two heavy attacks. With any reasonable gear you should end up at around 20k dps with no sustain issues. Maybe the more complicated rotations are the issue in your case?

If even that doesn't work, I really can't say what's the problem. I've just tried and it is perfectly possible to reach 30k on a magsorc with 210cp (I had to change to lover mundus to be able to do something with this low cp, but lover is usually better for low level players).
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll know more when I change the enchantments on jewellry and add one to the staff.
    The armour obviously is CP160, but right now it's mostly blue (not going to waste tempers on the Sorrow set when I'll replace it with Julianos).

Do you think I should use different stone than Thief? And speaking of Lover stone, how much spell penetration is acceptable?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tl;dr
    But a groups inability to kill the mage isn't due to one player. It's a team effort.
  • Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll know more when I change the enchantments on jewellry and add one to the staff.
    The armour obviously is CP160, but right now it's mostly blue (not going to waste tempers on the Sorrow set when I'll replace it with Julianos).

Do you think I should use different stone than Thief? And speaking of Lover stone, how much spell penetration is acceptable?

For now, use Lover while you are leveling CP. Later, when you are capped or higher cp switch to apprentice. Thief is nerfed. This patch magicka doesn't stack crit like they used to.
    PC / NA

Builds & Guides:

Notable Achievements:
  • DeathHouseInc
    DeathHouseInc
    ✭✭✭
    When do you use rotation? Is it situational or 24/7? Every time i try rotations on whatever of my 8 alts gold gear my already bad dps drops a huge amount.

I also find this to be true on every alt I have tried to improve dps on by incorporating light or heavy weaving attacks. Is the purpose of weaving attacks just to save resources or something? Certainly doesn't seem to be dmg because every dps skill I use does more than a basic attack. I know it generates ultimate as well but it does that for 9 seconds just never saw a reason to use it more than that or better results doing it. Kind of frustrating because the weaving just makes me dislike the combat in this game by making it stupidly monotonous no matter the class.
    Edited by DeathHouseInc on September 29, 2017 9:19PM
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mother's Sorrow is one of the worst dps set choices for someone doing low dps. Crit magnifies good damage, making it even better, but will do very little for low damage. You will be much better off with Spell Damage (Julianos) or Penetration (Spinner's) in your situation.

I realize you said you are moving toward getting Julianos, just trying to explain the reasoning.
    Edited by dpencil1 on September 29, 2017 9:51PM
  • T3hasiangod
    T3hasiangod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When do you use rotation? Is it situational or 24/7? Every time i try rotations on whatever of my 8 alts gold gear my already bad dps drops a huge amount.

I also find this to be true on every alt I have tried to improve dps on by incorporating light or heavy weaving attacks. Is the purpose of weaving attacks just to save resources or something? Certainly doesn't seem to be dmg because every dps skill I use does more than a basic attack. I know it generates ultimate as well but it does that for 9 seconds just never saw a reason to use it more than that or better results doing it. Kind of frustrating because the weaving just makes me dislike the combat in this game by making it stupidly monotonous no matter the class.

Light weaving, when done well, increases overall DPS.

There's a global cooldown on abilities of 1 second. Essentially, what light weaving is doing is making the most out of that 1 second of downtime by putting a light attack between each ability. Alternatively, you can think of it as putting an ability between each light attack that you do. This means you can fit in one ability + 1 light attack during the global cooldown, increasing your DPS.
    Edited by T3hasiangod on September 29, 2017 10:07PM
    PC/NA - Mayflower, Hellfire Dominion

Dro-m'Athra Destroyer - Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor - Voice of Reason - Gryphon Heart - The Unchained - Extinguisher of Flames

Tank - Healer - DPS (all classes, all specs)

Youtube - Twitch
  • Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Light weaving increases DPS by a lot! light attacks are my #2 source of damage in my parses. Heavy attacks are for resource return and when fighting large groups of enemies.
    PC / NA

Builds & Guides:

Notable Achievements:
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »

What a dumb, dumb post. Sorry, there is no different possible way to put it. He only started playing the game recently... I suppose, according to your reasoning, it is impossible for people to learn and improve? What the hell dude? OP is asking questions and being critical of himself. That is the 1st step towards improvement.

Honestly, just get your selfish entitled [snip] out of this thread. Nobody cares that you don't like playing with low dps.

I understand you don't like people who are good at the game, which may be your prerogative.

But there is no need to be offensive.

Just saying. This isn't nice to me when I'm just trying to help.

[Edited for quote]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on September 30, 2017 12:21PM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not so much the Light Attack weaving as the clipping of the Light Attack animation by using a skill immediately following the start of the Light Attack that will give you the DPS increase.

If you are waiting for the Light Attack animation to complete before you use your next skill, you will see a DPS loss in fact.