Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Recent Issues with NA Megaserver

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Hi everyone,

We’d like to briefly explain what’s been going on with the North American server stability lately. In short, we’ve been getting hit with many repeated DDoS attacks (Distributed Denial of Service). When this happens, it floods our service and prevents you from being able to log in, stay connected, or even group properly. Sometimes they only affect a handful of players, and other times they can cause a much greater and widespread impact. Either way, it’s a frustrating situation.

While we do have protection in place (which we obviously can’t discuss publicly), it hasn’t been enough. We’ve been working hard to implement additional security measures to make sure you’re able to log in – and stay logged in – whenever you want to play, and aren’t interrupted. We hope you understand why we’re being somewhat vague and not discussing specifics here. We take this issue very seriously, though, and are working hard to ensure everyone has the best experience possible.

Thank you for your continued support and patience.
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update. It has been very frustrating as I'm sure you understand. I hope you folks find some additional measures to take so these issues don't arise as often as they have lately.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the update Gina.

I personally don't play on NA servers but I know a lot of NA guilds who have had their raid nights ruined by these attacks and it's good to hear that something is being done proactively in order to help prevent them in the future.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gracias @ZOS_GinaBruno :)

the community definitely appreciates the info...

I imagine this would be similiar to the local starbucks shutting down and a boatload of caffeine fiends missing their fix...

gotta play, gotta play, gotta play...

speaking of which, hope y'all get it sorted soon - wanna cut loose a little early from work and get my game on :p
    Edited by geonsocal on July 28, 2017 7:22PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Gina.

Although the issue hasn't affected me as a PC EU player, I do understand the frustration felt by fellow players on the NA servers, and as always with such problems the key rule is - communicate, communicate meaningfully, and communicate often!
    Edited by Tandor on July 28, 2017 7:20PM
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give your infrastructure guys some cookies on my behalf. I don't envy them for having to deal with this.
  • Ixtyr
    Ixtyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @ZOS_GinaBruno and team.
    Ixtyr Falavir - Bosmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
    Reya Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
    Kaylin Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Ebonheart Pact
    ---
    Alyna Falavir - Dunmer Dragonknight - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aernah Falavir - Altmer Templar - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aranis Falavir - Bosmer Sorcerer - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aerin Falavir - Bosmer Warden - Daggerfall Covenant
    Rhys Falavir - Orc Sorcerer - Aldmeri Dominion
    Rhiannon Falavir - Altmer Templar - Aldmeri Dominion
    Nenara Falavir - Argonian Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    Neera Falavir - Orc Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    ---
    The Ska'vyn Exchange - Guild Master
    Vehemence - Officer
    Nightfighters - Member
    -
    Ømni - Guild Master (Retired)
    ---
    Moderator of /r/elderscrollsonline
  • ckrobinson83
    ckrobinson83
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update. It explains the problems I've been having.
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably a disgruntled player that now uses the money he doesn't spend on ESO Plus, to buy a targetted DDoS attack :expressionless:
  • gp1680
    gp1680
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update Gina!!
  • bottleofsyrup
    bottleofsyrup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friend and I were thinking it had to be DDoS. Thanks for the update, Gina. :)
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update :)
    Give 'er eh!
  • Sereamha
    Sereamha
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you very much for the update.
  • TempusFugit
    TempusFugit
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for the update. :) And for advising us on what is causing these problems.
    PC NA AD/DC/EP

Ash : "Klaatu Barada N... necktie... nectar... nickel... noodle. It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word!"
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for your update.

I think it is important to keep players and subscribers informed when problems arise.

Not knowing creates distrust and I am sure you don't want paying customers disgruntled with your service as they will leave and take their money elsewhere.

Once again, thank you.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the update. I have a few questions, if you would be so kind:

1. For the last three weeks or so, we've seen issues with certain nodes near the tail end of many users routes to the server. Were these DDOS attacks also causing those issues? I can confirm that traffic on those nodes would spike coinciding with the "lag spikes" in game.
    2. It seems that in the last 72 hours the default route to the servers for many users has changed. Is this related to the DDOS attacks?
    3. Can you coment on ZOS's relationship with Akamai technologies?
    4. It seems that the default / resting ping for many users has increased even when the traffic flow is normal (no DDOS). Is it fair to assume that this is a side effect of the extra "defenses?"
    5. Most importantly, where is the best jump in point for those of us using a VPN to improve ping? It seems as if having the VPN drop me off in Dallas is no longer ideal. My ping maps seem to indicate NorCal / Bay Area as the new, ideal jump in spot.
    Edited by Thogard on July 28, 2017 8:11PM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Jailbirdy
    Jailbirdy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1st is was Xbox Live

...then it was the routing through ISP's from the server

Now it is a DDOS attack....

I think you still have the option to blame Trump available to you.
    Disclaimer: The statements and information from this account are for entertainment & informational purposes only. Any interpretation, implied or otherwise does not constitute negligence on any part of this forum posting.
  • Celysa
    Celysa
    well just great. stuck in loading screen after login. just redownloaded game, glad I haven't subscribed again. any eta?
  • gangyzgirl
    gangyzgirl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for letting us know <3
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jailbirdy wrote: »
    1st is was Xbox Live

...then it was the routing through ISP's from the server

Now it is a DDOS attack....

I think you still have the option to blame Trump available to you.

I mean, those were all problems...

I don't play on XBox but for the second issue, that's a known thing that's happened with other games and applications, it's not particularly unique. And ZOS has gotten DDoSed before. Seems it's particularly bad this time.

Hopefully this one being as bad as it is leads to some permanent bolstering of their infrastructure and defenses.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

1. For the last three weeks or so, we've seen issues with certain nodes near the tail end of many users routes to the server. Were these DDOS attacks also causing those issues? I can confirm that traffic on those nodes would spike coinciding with the "lag spikes" in game.
    2. It seems that in the last 72 hours the default route to the servers for many users has changed. Is this related to the DDOS attacks?
    4. It seems that the default / resting ping for many users has increased even when the traffic flow is normal (no DDOS). Is it fair to assume that this is a side effect of the extra "defenses?"
    5. Most importantly, where is the best jump in point for those of us using a VPN to improve ping? It seems as if having the VPN drop me off in Dallas is no longer ideal. My ping maps seem to indicate NorCal / Bay Area as the new, ideal jump in spot.

That reads like exactly the sort of questions that they would not want to answer, and I wonder why anyone would even ask them.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do remember that this is someone or someones deliberately trying to negatively impact our game. This only ruins it for we players an that is thier intent. Even if ZOS had the most stable severs (they don't) or the best coding (lol) this would not protect from a DDOS attack. This is someone being a jerk.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update, Gina. I quoted you in the thread I started (moved to PC section), so people that may not look here or the other thread will hopefully see it.
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So discounted ESO+ while the game isnt 100% accessible (it is an online game, after all)??

Haha JK.
    PC-NA
  • Tyreal1974
    Tyreal1974
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update!
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Thogard wrote: »

That reads like exactly the sort of questions that they would not want to answer, and I wonder why anyone would even ask them.

You caught me, I'm the leet haxxor responsible for the DDOS attacks.

But in this case I'm just asking questions that anyone with basic networking knowledge would want to know. None of that is a "secret"
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• NateS4
    NateS4
    ✭✭
    So will there be an extra day or two of the event?
    Edited by NateS4 on July 28, 2017 9:53PM
    Nerf Nate
    Xbox NA
    Small Scale PvP
    Stamden (Grand Overlord)
    Mag DK (Palatine)
    Mag/Stamblade (Praetorian)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHyTq3wqzJ5K200K2JSNlRA?view_as=subscriber
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting hit with ddos attack now I guess. I look like a fool after my. I never get link death or long,load screens. Cooking noddles and try again with my first world problems.
  • squinceybones
    squinceybones
    ✭✭✭
    Surely these ddos people just get sent an email saying you have logged in from a different IP address that never comes, and therefore cannot ddos. What more security could you need?
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just googled it. They can hit from 10 of thousand of ip at a time . it over loads the system just responding to the request and not letting them log in.
This discussion has been closed.