The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Recent Issues with NA Megaserver

• Eirella
    Eirella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    emma666 wrote: »
    DDOS attack, or just ESO's renowned awful servers that can't handle a PvP event because you won't actually use common sense and spend resources on fixing your base game bugs and performance issues?

Instead you keep working on new PvE content and crown store items and events that players can't even play because we keep crashing without being able to log on, stuck in forever loadscreen, pingspikes and horrible lag.

If it really is a DDOS attack, shouldn't every player be affected equally? And how can a DDOS attack affect THE ABILITY TO GROUP, when that bug mostly comes after maintenance/''fixes''?

Really *** I sometimes spend more time trying to log on the damn game than actually playing. I barely have crashes or serious lag in PvE, just in PvP, how do you expain that on a DDOS attack?..

Seriously, just fix your damn servers and don't put the blame on someone else, we all know ESO have performance issues and ZOS don't know how to fix them, time to atleast TRY and keep your paying costumers UPDATED on your progress.

^^^ Exactly what I was thinking. :/
    DDOS always seems to be such a convenient excuse...
    Edited by Eirella on July 30, 2017 12:26PM
    (PC/NA) - | @Eirella - formerly @jinxgames | CP 1000+ | Mainly PvPer (EP) | Haxus
    /uninstalled
  • GamingLass
    ZOS or any techie: Will this work to get around the attackers? Changing your DNS?

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-change-dns-windows-mac-osx/
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GamingLass wrote: »
    ZOS or any techie: Will this work to get around the attackers? Changing your DNS?

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-change-dns-windows-mac-osx/

If it were a DDoS attack, it would depend on what was being attacked. If the ESO server IPs are the target, nothing is going to help you.
    Even on the internet, clear communication is important; it can be the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"; the difference between "knowing your s***" and "knowing you're s***".
    Greybeards & Gals - Civilised, laid-back, mature gamers. Beards optional. |
  • antmck2011rwb17_ESO
    That explains the lag I've been getting for a about a week now, but then I am in Australia so who knows?
    It's always one person who has to spoil the fun for everyone else.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eirella wrote: »
    emma666 wrote: »
    DDOS attack, or just ESO's renowned awful servers that can't handle a PvP event because you won't actually use common sense and spend resources on fixing your base game bugs and performance issues?

Instead you keep working on new PvE content and crown store items and events that players can't even play because we keep crashing without being able to log on, stuck in forever loadscreen, pingspikes and horrible lag.

If it really is a DDOS attack, shouldn't every player be affected equally? And how can a DDOS attack affect THE ABILITY TO GROUP, when that bug mostly comes after maintenance/''fixes''?

Really *** I sometimes spend more time trying to log on the damn game than actually playing. I barely have crashes or serious lag in PvE, just in PvP, how do you expain that on a DDOS attack?..

Seriously, just fix your damn servers and don't put the blame on someone else, we all know ESO have performance issues and ZOS don't know how to fix them, time to atleast TRY and keep your paying costumers UPDATED on your progress.

^^^ Exactly what I was thinking. :/
    DDOS always seems to be such a convenient excuse...

The thing is that it becomes impossible to separate the effects of the DDoS attack from the effects of more people playing in Cyrodiil due to the Event from the normal performance issues in Cyrodiil. All of these things factor together and are amplified.

The DDoS is not just a convenient excuse. I won't repeat what has been said since Wednesday, but ZOS is taking steps to deal with DDoS attacks. They are doing it in a manner that I do not recall seeing them do before. Bottom line for me is that ZOS is taking action, and is increasing that action, in response to a DDoS attack. The fact that they are escalating their response indicates that they are serious about the attack, and feel that it is a major contributor to problems in the game. They are spending money to address it, which they would not be doing if it was just a smoke screen.

There is no doubt that increased attention to Cyrodiil this week is also causing problems with servers that are already under the strain of normal performance problems and the DDoS that is happening. We already know that they will deploy an event, even if it melts their servers, as anyone who was party to the first Anniversary cake debacle will testify. I have no doubt that they would do the same for this event.

It is probably a very frustrating situation when the server/IT people say that the infrastructure cannot handle the event. It is a condition easily remedied with a liberal amount of duct tape and access to a seldom used maintenance closet. :smile:

Cyrodiil is probably the heaviest load in the game, on the servers, the game client, the network, and the internet. It is hardly surprising that a problem in any one of those places would disrupt it. Cyrodiil depends on quick response by the servers and game clients, but it also depends on timely delivery of that response across the internet. When you add into the mix a third party that is examining every "packet" going from the client to the server to determine whether it is a valid traffic, or DDoS traffic, and then trying to filter out the DDoS traffic, you can certainly expect that things are not going to be ideal.
    GamingLass wrote: »

No.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • GOATGOBAAHH
    GOATGOBAAHH
    ✭✭
    So some nerd can DDos your servers and ruin your product for EVERYONE.

There are no safeguards against this? This has happened to most MMORPGs why wasn't this thought of before instead of after?
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are no safeguards against this? This has happened to most MMORPGs why wasn't this thought of before instead of after?

Any network connection only has n capacity. No matter how much you increase that capacity, an attacker only has to hit you with n+1 to overwhelm it. There are ways to mitigate attacks, which Amazon (I presume they host the ESO servers), their providers and the like take, but nothing will stop a determined attack.
    Even on the internet, clear communication is important; it can be the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"; the difference between "knowing your s***" and "knowing you're s***".
  • GOATGOBAAHH
    GOATGOBAAHH
    ✭✭
    rootimus wrote: »

Any network connection only has n capacity. No matter how much you increase that capacity, an attacker only has to hit you with n+1 to overwhelm it. There are ways to mitigate attacks, which Amazon (I presume they host the ESO servers), their providers and the like take, but nothing will stop a determined attack.

Because of this should the game be renamed Elder Scrolls Offline? I hope you're incorrect in assuming amazon host thier servers. I don't understand how Zenimax can keep their servers in a public AWS. They go down constantly, they don't have *** for security, and if you lose your data there is no guarantee to get it back.

The fact remains ZOS is letting some 12 year old destroy the ENTIRE value of their product. Funny thing is that 12 year old DDosing the servers is likely pissed about unfixed bugs that have plagued this game.

i.e. Activity finder, BG finder, the tharn speaks quest glitch, trial crashes, Alliance group que bug.

I can't continue to give my money to people who don't protect their product. After all I must protect where I spend my time...specifically not wasting it with online titles that spend more time DOWN than actually UP and online.

All the money flowing and they can't provide a stable consistent online experience? The worst part is it devalues the world and story that Bethesda came up with; that we all know, love, and value.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Wheyntheblacksmith_ESO I think what you are experiencing on the EU server must be related to time zones, the servers are far from dead and we have many Americans that play with us here..........

During the present event I have seen queues of 500+ for multiple campaigns plenty of times and not just in the evening but during the daytime too. ☺

However it is true to say that we do seem to like our sleep and things tend to get pretty quiet by around 11pm BST, I believe that would pretty much tie in with the start of prime time East coast USA.
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To quote Vivec

"There's no lock that the determined thief cannot open"

-

But anyway, returning to the topic at hand. I currently only have problems logging in, with at least a dozen attempts giving me error 200 or error 108. Eventually, I can log in without issues.

Is this happening for anyone else?
    Edited by Marto on July 30, 2017 3:29PM
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • sirston
    sirston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    sirston wrote: »
    Can we see a data chart? Like im not saying I don't believe you guys, But I don't believe you guys. Because its been talked about in the past....
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2396513#Comment_2396513
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2547808#Comment_2547808
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2825883#Comment_2825883
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/327242/na-megaserver-weekend-issues

Pretty sure ZOS that your parent company could loan you a small loan of million dollars from the 500 they got from facebook.
    What don't you believe?

that question is like opening a pandora's box of complaints from the 3 years of playing ZOS's bandaged game. from incompetence of being original of RNG box's and RE SKINNING THE SAME CONTENT and using content from 2014 and calling it new. to PVP being broken since the game being open and never fully fixing it, even though there are people who are here from the beginning who remember the 1500 less lagfest castle fights.

I just feel this company is right below my internet provider which is as incompetent but more resourceful and quicker to fix's.

Also boyo https://www.polygon.com/2017/2/1/14474198/oculus-lawsuit-verdict
    When I see this and they complain there doing all they can I call Bull****

and P.S.S.- I think the oculus rift is one of the best purchases ever ;)
    Edited by sirston on July 30, 2017 3:37PM
    Whitestakes Revenge
    WoodElf Mag-Warden
    Sirston
    Magickia Dragonknight

T0XIC
    Pride Of The Pact
    Vehemence
    The Crimson Order

victoria aut mors
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What safeguards do you propose?
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For starters, fix the things that *** people off. I'm sure whoever is doing it,isn't looking for fame.those people go after bigger fish and something more challenging.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because of this should the game be renamed Elder Scrolls Offline? I hope you're incorrect in assuming amazon host thier servers. I don't understand how Zenimax can keep their servers in a public AWS. They go down constantly, they don't have *** for security, and if you lose your data there is no guarantee to get it back.

Amazon does not host ESO and it is not in AWS.
    The fact remains ZOS is letting some 12 year old destroy the ENTIRE value of their product. Funny thing is that 12 year old DDosing the servers is likely pissed about unfixed bugs that have plagued this game.

ZOS is not "letting", and it is not going to be a "12 year old" at the helm. It does not even have to be a player of the game.

Mojmir wrote: »

For starters, fix the things that *** people off. I'm sure whoever is doing it,isn't looking for fame.those people go after bigger fish and something more challenging.

Oddly enough, resources that could be spent improving the servers is probably being spent to address DDoS.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazon does not host ESO and it is not in AWS.

ZOS is not "letting", and it is not going to be a "12 year old" at the helm. It does not even have to be a player of the game.

Oddly enough, resources that could be spent improving the servers is probably being spent to address DDoS.

And there in lies the rub, it's like they cant/won't multitask.
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

He was talking about safeguards against a DDoS attack. While I agree that ZOS should finally get this game out of beta, it has no bearing on the alleged and highly suspect reason for the latest issues with the server.
  • eirinnpryderi
    eirinnpryderi
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe ZOS most of the time, and pity Gina for being the face that receives the punches from all the users; but looking at Digitalattackmap.com atm USA is being attacked from various sources since yesterday at least
    Edited by eirinnpryderi on July 30, 2017 9:19PM
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe ZOS most of the time, and pity Gina for being the face that receives the punches from all the users; but looking at Digitalattackmap.com atm USA is being attacked from various sources since yesterday at least

The US has varying levels of DDoS attack going on 24/7. It's why the FCC and ZOS can use it as a convenient scapegoat.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

He was talking about safeguards against a DDoS attack. While I agree that ZOS should finally get this game out of beta, it has no bearing on the alleged and highly suspect reason for the latest issues with the server.

There are none,that has been established. This issue has become too convient and often with eso.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its like theres just to many people trying to play :|
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't work that way.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't work that way.

i noticed
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazon does not host ESO

Genuinely curious - do you have a source for this?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazon does not host ESO

Has ZOS come out and said it? No.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    C'mon.... just admit you keep forgetting to feed the hamster..... >:)
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Diminish
    Diminish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems a little inconsistent to be a DDoS if you ask me. Or the attacker(s) are just having a good time trolling you.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazon does not host ESO

they dont say alot of things, thats just one of their major problems.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazon does not host ESO

They should tell us who provides and runs their data center?
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazon does not host ESO

i dont care who runs what for them, theyve been aware for awhile that they lack the measures to defend themselves. this isnt the first time nor the last. you sound like you could help them,here ya go:

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=zenimax&l=
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazon does not host ESO

i dont care who runs what for them, theyve been aware for awhile that they lack the measures to defend themselves. this isnt the first time nor the last. you sound like you could help them,here ya go:

Bah. They can't afford me. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.