The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Recent Issues with NA Megaserver

• MickeyBN
    MickeyBN
    ✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    Mine seems back to normal at the moment. Funny how the pvp event ended not long before. How are others connection?

There are three issues going on all at the same time.

1. The DDoS. It is really happening, and they are working to mitigate it.
    2. The Event. This is bringing people into Cyrodiil, which causes crowding and really highlights...
    3. The Lag. The ongoing lag problem in Cyrodiil, which includes disconnects and loading screens, is made worse by both of the above.

It is really #3 that needs to be fixed, but even if they had already fixed #3, the first two would be enough to get people to complain about performance, dropped connections, and loading screens.

My latency is in the red when I'm stood inside my home and I'm on the verge of disconnecting every time I go into a populated town.

What had this got to do with Cyrodiil?
    Vaelerys Nightborn - Bosmer Nightblade PC NA
  • m12d12_ESO
    m12d12_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    [MickeyBN MickeyBN
    ✭✭✭
    lordrichter wrote: »
    Mine seems back to normal at the moment. Funny how the pvp event ended not long before. How are others connection?
    2. The Event. This is bringing people into Cyrodiil, which causes crowding and really highlights...
    3. The Lag. The ongoing lag problem in Cyrodiil, which includes disconnects and loading screens, is made worse by both of the above.
    It is really #3 that needs to be fixed, but even if they had already fixed #3, the first two would be enough to get people to complain about performance, dropped connections, and loading screens.]

At this point i dont give a crap about lag- I just want to be able access my accounts - clear my mail etc..

I haven't had consistant access in several days now to even get on to complain about anything.
    Edited by m12d12_ESO on August 2, 2017 1:56PM
    Accts
    mdzone5 cp 1051
    fragtaster cp 684
    lilly65 cp 652
    Almalexia 212
  • ComboBreaker88
    ComboBreaker88
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it actually were DDOS attacks it wouldn't be hitting all the servers all the time. No other game has this issue like ESO. Its the game and we all know it. It's a shame that a company would blatantly lie about the issues to its customer base.
  • MickeyBN
    MickeyBN
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it actually were DDOS attacks it wouldn't be hitting all the servers all the time. No other game has this issue like ESO. Its the game and we all know it. It's a shame that a company would blatantly lie about the issues to its customer base.

Well can you imagine the ****storm that would ensue if they actually admitted to the community that their servers are garbage? They would actually be forced to update them, which costs them money.

Much cheaper to just say it's a DDOS attack.
    Vaelerys Nightborn - Bosmer Nightblade PC NA
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MickeyBN wrote: »

It is really #3 that needs to be fixed, but even if they had already fixed #3, the first two would be enough to get people to complain about performance, dropped connections, and loading screens.

My latency is in the red when I'm stood inside my home and I'm on the verge of disconnecting every time I go into a populated town.

Nothing. Might not have anything to do with the ESO Servers. Just because you are having a high latency in the game does not automatically mean that there is a server problem. High latency in a house, and walking around a populated area, is out of the norm for PC NA.

The DDoS attack has the potential to increase latency, even when not in Cyrodiil. That impact depends on a number of factors specific to the attack, including where it is coming from and how close you are to that. We cannot know the details, and not every player will be affected the same.

I can play the game all day and not get a high latency. Yesterday, my max latency was 231 over 5 hours of latency monitoring, outside of Cyrodiil. The average is 117. This is my historical normal. Does this mean you are not having a problem? No, but it is a data point that starts to suggest that it might not be the ESO servers causing your specific problem.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing. Might not have anything to do with the ESO Servers. Just because you are having a high latency in the game does not automatically mean that there is a server problem. High latency in a house, and walking around a populated area, is out of the norm for PC NA.

The DDoS attack has the potential to increase latency, even when not in Cyrodiil. That impact depends on a number of factors specific to the attack, including where it is coming from and how close you are to that. We cannot know the details, and not every player will be affected the same.

I can play the game all day and not get a high latency. Yesterday, my max latency was 231 over 5 hours of latency monitoring, outside of Cyrodiil. The average is 117. This is my historical normal. Does this mean you are not having a problem? No, but it is a data point that starts to suggest that it might not be the ESO servers causing your specific problem.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Kilandros
    Kilandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lol at people buying into the DDOS excuse
    Invictus
    Kilandros - Dragonknight / Grand Overlord
    Deimos - Templar / Grand Warlord
    Sias - Sorcerer / Prefect
    Short answer is DKs likely won't be seeing a ton of changes before we go live; this class is still quite powerful (as it should be being a tank), even after some of the adjustments we've made to other classes and abilities.

DK IS NOT JUST A TANK CLASS. #PLAYTHEWAYYOUWANT
  • thewaywardone
    thewaywardone
    ✭✭✭
    The inability to log in as an ESO Plus member is very frustrating. Because the paid version is voluntary and not mandatory to playing this game, I would hope that there is some discussion of recompense for these issues.

While I recognize and appreciate that if it is DDoS related, it is not inherently a problem caused by your service, but considering that paying customers are unable to log in, in my case for days on end, please explain why I, or any of the others who subscribe, should continue to do so until you sort this out?

I don't normally jump to this route, but it has been a matter of weeks now for me with days that I can't log in. Weeks. Not hours, nor days... weeks. (Also this is coming from my trying for three hours this morning, so I am frustrated.)
    PC/NA - Daytime player - Obnoxiously Casual Player - PVE/RP
  • Juli'St
    Juli'St
    ✭✭✭✭
  • R4TTIUS
    R4TTIUS
    ✭✭✭
    This is happening to Me on XBOX EU, since last night
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

May his butthole never be the same again
  • Danika
    Danika
    ✭✭✭

May his butthole never be the same again

If this person goes to jail/prison... it is a possibility his butthole will never be the same...
  • Danika
    Danika
    ✭✭✭
    The inability to log in as an ESO Plus member is very frustrating. Because the paid version is voluntary and not mandatory to playing this game, I would hope that there is some discussion of recompense for these issues.

While I recognize and appreciate that if it is DDoS related, it is not inherently a problem caused by your service, but considering that paying customers are unable to log in, in my case for days on end, please explain why I, or any of the others who subscribe, should continue to do so until you sort this out?

I don't normally jump to this route, but it has been a matter of weeks now for me with days that I can't log in. Weeks. Not hours, nor days... weeks. (Also this is coming from my trying for three hours this morning, so I am frustrated.)

Can't imagine not being able to login for weeks... I am only up to five days right now, but if this extends to the end of the month of August. Most likely will take a break from my sub till this is fixed...

oy...
  • allup8679
    allup8679
    ✭✭✭
    I can get into Shor on PS4 on all of my characters except my stam blade. With that toon, which is my current main, I'm kicked immediately. All other tools are fine, just not the one I want to use.
  • A_Tang
    A_Tang
    On PC, trying to log into the NA server right now...keep getting the 200 errors.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Thogard wrote: »
    Thank you for the update. I have a few questions, if you would be so kind:

1. For the last three weeks or so, we've seen issues with certain nodes near the tail end of many users routes to the server. Were these DDOS attacks also causing those issues? I can confirm that traffic on those nodes would spike coinciding with the "lag spikes" in game.
    2. It seems that in the last 72 hours the default route to the servers for many users has changed. Is this related to the DDOS attacks?
    3. Can you coment on ZOS's relationship with Akamai technologies?
    4. It seems that the default / resting ping for many users has increased even when the traffic flow is normal (no DDOS). Is it fair to assume that this is a side effect of the extra "defenses?"
    5. Most importantly, where is the best jump in point for those of us using a VPN to improve ping? It seems as if having the VPN drop me off in Dallas is no longer ideal. My ping maps seem to indicate NorCal / Bay Area as the new, ideal jump in spot.

That reads like exactly the sort of questions that they would not want to answer, and I wonder why anyone would even ask them.

Possibly because their tired of being treated like mushrooms. Though they do probably have legal reasons not to answer.
  • Shad0wfire99
    Shad0wfire99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on XBox NA and I keep getting kicked back to the dashboard before I even get to the character select screen.

XBox NA
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, you gotta wonder what'd make people angry enough to DDOS the company....after the Morrowind release.
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah I tossed some extra money at this game (ESO+) thinking it has a good future. Boy, was I wrong. I would not ESO+ any more until the basic game systems is fixed and lag completely gone.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, you gotta wonder what'd make people angry enough to DDOS the company....after the Morrowind release.

honestly youd have to be pretty blind to NOT see.
  • C3N50R3D
    C3N50R3D
    ✭✭✭

What tool are you using for latency monitoring?
  • BigRiver
    BigRiver
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

We’d like to briefly explain what’s been going on with the North American server stability lately. In short, we’ve been getting hit with many repeated DDoS attacks (Distributed Denial of Service). When this happens, it floods our service and prevents you from being able to log in, stay connected, or even group properly. Sometimes they only affect a handful of players, and other times they can cause a much greater and widespread impact. Either way, it’s a frustrating situation.

While we do have protection in place (which we obviously can’t discuss publicly), it hasn’t been enough. We’ve been working hard to implement additional security measures to make sure you’re able to log in – and stay logged in – whenever you want to play, and aren’t interrupted. We hope you understand why we’re being somewhat vague and not discussing specifics here. We take this issue very seriously, though, and are working hard to ensure everyone has the best experience possible.

Thank you for your continued support and patience.

This really looks like a copy and paste from the last time issues like this we're going on. Maybe one day things will get figured out and we can enjoy the game.
    Edited by BigRiver on August 2, 2017 2:53PM
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »

That was the joke me lad.
  • Taysa
    Taysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sooooooo any update on this @ZOS_GinaBruno ?
    5/24/18: The day ZoS suspended my forum account for trolling a troll.
  • truesteelnb
    truesteelnb
    Soul Shriven
    Can't login on website to cancel my sub.... Connected somehow? DDOS to flawed website.... or Zeni actively preventing people from accessing their accounts? Given this company's history, both are highly plausible.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »

That was the joke me lad.

Yes,on a few levels :wink:
  • DoonerSeraph
    DoonerSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭
    For people still having issues like I am, if you can please answer those points as succint as possible so we can gather some useful info to pinpoint problems,maybe that could help?

1. What error are you getting? "I can log on the game but when I select my character I get 'An error has occurred'"
    2. Game Version (PC[Steam?Y/N], XBONE, PS4)? "PC(Steam)"
    3. Tried pathping 198.20.198.110? Are you losing packets somewhere in the middle? If yes, can you use whois on that address tp get a location? "I'm losing packets at addresses '172.30.255.15' (12025 Waterfront Drive
    Suite 300, Los Angeles) and '165.254.191.122' (8300 E Maplewood Ave. Suite 400, Greenwood Village)"
    4. Where are you from roughly? "Southern Brazil"
    5. Tried a VPN? Results? "Yes, and I can login with that"

I really dont know what to do anymore, just hoping to gather some info that can help me and other people having the same or similar issues.

Thanks!
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    Ever since July 21st, I've been getting repeated failed login attempts with "Connection to server timed out." messages, and often the NA server announcements read as "Could not retrieve announcements.", but eventually I get into character select. My average NA ping has jumped from 290~ to 320~, I'm not getting these problems with the EU server, everything there is working for me as normal, login attempts included.

Also, since last Friday, I'm getting an inconsistent showing of the previews window with the buttons on the right-hand side of the launcher, between Patch Notes and Play, whenever I open the launcher. Sometimes that window and buttons will show, sometimes it won't.

I've restarted my PC, I've restarted my router, I've done /flushdns, nothing's changed, still the same login errors for NA and the launcher issue.

I want to be able to play on the NA server, but I really am getting near the end of my tether.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was definitely a DDOS attack. I was watching traffic on the nodes in real time on my second monitor. You could see a huge spike in traffic (a 1000% increase or more) that would coincide with the lag spikes.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

This discussion has been closed.