The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Recent Issues with NA Megaserver

• Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance we can get an extension on the event? I think it is fantastic and got people out to PVP more but the performance was a let down and many people, myself included, had to pass on it because crashes and kicks.
  • chrisw_63_ESO
    chrisw_63_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    So it seems some people don't really understand DDOS attacks. Lets see if I can help with that.

DDOS is an acronym for Distributed Denial of Service. Basically, the responsible ***.. er... people.. infect a LOT of computers with a virus that either does the attack directly, or enables them to tell the virus what to do.

Each of these computers can send a variety of regular internet messages to try to get the server's attention. It doesn't have to be, and usually is not, a game client connect request. If the servers in question are well monitored and set up properly, they don't respond to any of this, but the traffic still clogs the bandwidth a bit.

If these same aforementioned parties see that the attack isn't having much effect, they can attack the internet routers feeding the server instead. Typically routers are a lot more susceptible to such attacks, since they have to respond to many of these internet requests to do their job. Usually, these attacks use every single 'vector' they know about (every attack they can think of) to make sure at least some interruption of service occurs.

ON THE OTHER HAND... <cough>Bethesda<cough> Arcane error codes blaming the problem on a 'login error' Do Not Help. Tech support people telling us we have to re-download the Launcher or Repair the game DO NOT HELP. Especially when they already KNOW there is a problem elsewhere. (And if they don't, why aren't you telling them?) You end up with frustrated, upset players who want to flame you in the forums when they find out the real deal.

Humanize the error codes. Put in the description what they REALLY mean. Its not a Login Error when the Launcher can't connect to the Login Server - its a Connection Error. "Can't connect to Login Server" would be fine. We would know what's up, and go on the forums to complain about the DDOS'ers, instead of complaining about clueless Tech Support. And, PLEASE, change the tech support script so they ask if we're getting more than one error code? I realize that many people who call for tech support are truly clueless when it comes to anything deeper than gaming on a computer, but for the rest of us, at least find out our level of ignorance before treating us as morons? Please???

Those of us who do know what's going on are generally understanding when this carp happens. Give us the chance to show you that. I think you'll be surprised.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More than one MMORPG of this genre /category has been getting hit lately. Both games I play have been having issues. Thank the techs/coders working on this on behalf of the players (well, most of us, can't speak for all).
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Tavian1978
    Tavian1978
    Soul Shriven
    I have absolutely zero problem with them not giving specifics about how they're trying to address this issue, however I have a major issue with it taking this long to actually address what the issue is.

DDoS attacks suck. That's not the issue. The issue (to me, and I hope, others) is that it took this damn long to finally speak up about it? This has been going on for weeks, yet no mention from anyone? Instead, we get a bunch of noise about power-cycling our modems, checking drivers, etc.

At some point, shouldn't one of the community managers actually address the community? Not weeks later, but perhaps days? Especially after this went into the second week?
  • TempusFugit
    TempusFugit
    ✭✭✭
    More than one MMORPG of this genre /category has been getting hit lately. Both games I play have been having issues. Thank the techs/coders working on this on behalf of the players (well, most of us, can't speak for all).

Very true. :)

It is evident that the methods used to generate these attacks are getting more and more sophisticated - similar to viruses/trojans that can attack a pc, it's pretty much like a cold war out there.

The affected games result in all, most or some players experiencing disconnects, problems logging in and difficulty with transmitting/receiving data - high latency thus disrupting gameplay.

We also know that reported symptoms take a while to investigate especially if only a handful of users (As has occurred over the past few days.) are experiencing them and because there are so many other possible factors involved. Users' PCs can be the cause when one considers possible effects of updates, new software installs etc. Thus Technical support through the process of symptoms identification and possible factor elimination will advise on possible fixes, on an individual basis, until the actual cause is determined.

IMHO Technical Support did their job, and in fact the steps shared by a player who communicated Technical Support received steps to /flushdns etc did help my ability to play, if only for a bit.

I also humbly but firmly believe that the frustration felt by those affected was surely as intense as the stress level felt by the many ZOS individuals who were contacted to eliminate these problems, and get things back on track so that we can return to once more enjoying the amazing play environment offered through ESO. :)

Best Regards,
    Edited by TempusFugit on July 29, 2017 1:50PM
    PC NA AD/DC/EP

Ash : "Klaatu Barada N... necktie... nectar... nickel... noodle. It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word!"
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tavian1978 wrote: »
    I have absolutely zero problem with them not giving specifics about how they're trying to address this issue, however I have a major issue with it taking this long to actually address what the issue is.

DDoS attacks suck. That's not the issue. The issue (to me, and I hope, others) is that it took this damn long to finally speak up about it? This has been going on for weeks, yet no mention from anyone? Instead, we get a bunch of noise about power-cycling our modems, checking drivers, etc.

At some point, shouldn't one of the community managers actually address the community? Not weeks later, but perhaps days? Especially after this went into the second week?
    They probably wanted to avoid giving the people who are causing the DDoS the exposure they're after. As lordrichter said, since Thursday it got much worse, and more noticeable that DDoS was the cause.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • m12d12_ESO
    m12d12_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    10:35 a.m. still having issues. Neither me or my sons have been able to log in. I had been on very early morning with tons of issues, but neither of my sons have been able to be on at all yesterday or today- so far.
    Accts
    mdzone5 cp 1051
    fragtaster cp 684
    lilly65 cp 652
    Almalexia 212
  • ADJMass
    ADJMass
    Soul Shriven

ON THE OTHER HAND... <cough>Bethesda<cough> Arcane error codes blaming the problem on a 'login error' Do Not Help. Tech support people telling us we have to re-download the Launcher or Repair the game DO NOT HELP. Especially when they already KNOW there is a problem elsewhere. (And if they don't, why aren't you telling them?) You end up with frustrated, upset players who want to flame you in the forums when they find out the real deal.

Humanize the error codes. Put in the description what they REALLY mean. Its not a Login Error when the Launcher can't connect to the Login Server - its a Connection Error. "Can't connect to Login Server" would be fine. We would know what's up, and go on the forums to complain about the DDOS'ers, instead of complaining about clueless Tech Support. And, PLEASE, change the tech support script so they ask if we're getting more than one error code? I realize that many people who call for tech support are truly clueless when it comes to anything deeper than gaming on a computer, but for the rest of us, at least find out our level of ignorance before treating us as morons? Please???

While this is all and good. The error code that is being presented IS correct because the login attempt is failing. The launcher has no way of knowing that the servers are being DDOs'd All the launcher knows is that it cannot connect to the server therefore "Login Failed"
  • drunkenspidey
    drunkenspidey
    ✭✭✭
    DoS... ok, I thought that maybe I was experiencing an unusual long loading screen or it was maybe my internet connection.
  • sirston
    sirston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we see a data chart? Like im not saying I don't believe you guys, But I don't believe you guys. Because its been talked about in the past....
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2396513#Comment_2396513
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2547808#Comment_2547808
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2825883#Comment_2825883
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/327242/na-megaserver-weekend-issues

Pretty sure ZOS that your parent company could loan you a small loan of million dollars from the 500 they got from facebook.
    Edited by sirston on July 29, 2017 3:55PM
    Whitestakes Revenge
    WoodElf Mag-Warden
    Sirston
    Magickia Dragonknight

T0XIC
    Pride Of The Pact
    Vehemence
    The Crimson Order

victoria aut mors
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sirston wrote: »
    Can we see a data chart? Like im not saying I don't believe you guys, But I don't believe you guys. Because its been talked about in the past....
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2396513#Comment_2396513
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2547808#Comment_2547808
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2825883#Comment_2825883
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/327242/na-megaserver-weekend-issues

Pretty sure ZOS that your parent company could loan you a small loan of million dollars from the 500 they got from facebook.
    What don't you believe?
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,
    In short, we’ve been getting hit with many repeated DDoS attacks (Distributed Denial of Service).

zSt8m8F.png

Why the short version? How about giving some technical details for us geeks? What type of DDoS attack was it, for example? I'll wait while one of you hits up google to see what the hell I'm talking about.
    sirston wrote: »

According to http://www.digitalattackmap.com, the last notable attack on the US was back in May. Perhaps this was the same DDoS attack that conveniently appeared after John Oliver told Ajit Pai to www.gofccyourself.com?

Edit: removed some words that snuck in from my original draft.
    Edited by rootimus on July 29, 2017 4:07PM
    Even on the internet, clear communication is important; it can be the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"; the difference between "knowing your s***" and "knowing you're s***".
    Greybeards & Gals - Civilised, laid-back, mature gamers. Beards optional. |
  • GamingLass
    Thank you for the information! This explains so much and now if it happens, I don't have to bang my head against a wall trying to figure out if it's my ISP, port, anti virus... Greatly appreciate the update!!
  • Sythen88411
    Sythen88411
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's the ep zergs causing all this. #facts
  • Swifigames
    Swifigames
    ✭✭✭
    Swifigames wrote: »
    Sincerest of thanks for the insight and all the hard work the team puts in for this gaming community. I can't say I know the inner workings of such madness, but I've done some reading on DDoS attacks earlier in the year and I'm sure it can be brutal at times. I send my best wishes to you all and hope for everything to work out like a kinked neck in the end. Then we'll all be able to relax.
    Still not working for me. Looks like I am stuck on EU servers from now on. You can at least transfer my wifes and mines stuff over since I will not be on the NA any longer.

How is it playing on the EU server(s)? I'm not certain I want to give it a go...but what's it like? Any differences, laggy, etc? And if that's an option why shouldn't I go that route myself in situations like this?
    Thanks.

The ping is a little higher, chat is non-existent. Rather peaceful really. IMO I feel the EU servers are either dead or they now a NA player and don't like us. Hence they refuse to talk or the EU servers are A: That dead or B: The time difference is that drastic and everyone is asleep lol or C: it's filled mostly with *** bots they can't farm worth a damn which leaves a slow player like myself to enjoy his RP walking and still can farm to his heart content while enjoying the views and sites. if you decide to jump on, i have a Fem Bosmer named Nueska Osomi. Like me up so you have a fellow NA player to game with. Least talk to ya know.

I will certainly keep that in mind. I suppose my next question would be this, since it's a different server, you'd have to create a new char? Are NA chars I've already created not available on another (EU) server?
    "We don't want other worlds, we want mirrors." - Gibarian
    --
    Nightblade (Bosmer) - Kremlok
    Templar (Khajiit) - Drops-the-Ball
    Templar (Altmer) - Lyranil of Alinor
    Necromancer (Altmer) - Kalomyr
    Sorcerer (Dunmer) - Lord Eldruin
  • Lynea
    Lynea
    Soul Shriven
    yes ! glad to know is is not just me.. has been hard to get this latest fun thing finished tho... thanks for being on top of it all! ZOS
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    7d7b438d0bf8008c49f5f4d74fc62fe3.jpg
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to be compensated for your incompetence.
    Master Debater
  • emma666
    emma666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DDOS attack, or just ESO's renowned awful servers that can't handle a PvP event because you won't actually use common sense and spend resources on fixing your base game bugs and performance issues?

Instead you keep working on new PvE content and crown store items and events that players can't even play because we keep crashing without being able to log on, stuck in forever loadscreen, pingspikes and horrible lag.

If it really is a DDOS attack, shouldn't every player be affected equally? And how can a DDOS attack affect THE ABILITY TO GROUP, when that bug mostly comes after maintenance/''fixes''?

Really *** I sometimes spend more time trying to log on the damn game than actually playing. I barely have crashes or serious lag in PvE, just in PvP, how do you expain that on a DDOS attack?..

Seriously, just fix your damn servers and don't put the blame on someone else, we all know ESO have performance issues and ZOS don't know how to fix them, time to atleast TRY and keep your paying costumers UPDATED on your progress.

Nymeria - Ebonheart - Grand Overlady - Imperial Templar - Havoc

I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.
  • TazESO
    TazESO
    ✭✭✭
    emma666 wrote: »
    DDOS attack, or just ESO's renowned awful servers that can't handle a PvP event because you won't actually use common sense and spend resources on fixing your base game bugs and performance issues?

Instead you keep working on new PvE content and crown store items and events that players can't even play because we keep crashing without being able to log on, stuck in forever loadscreen, pingspikes and horrible lag.

If it really is a DDOS attack, shouldn't every player be affected equally? And how can a DDOS attack affect THE ABILITY TO GROUP, when that bug mostly comes after maintenance/''fixes''?

Really *** I sometimes spend more time trying to log on the damn game than actually playing. I barely have crashes or serious lag in PvE, just in PvP, how do you expain that on a DDOS attack?..

Seriously, just fix your damn servers and don't put the blame on someone else, we all know ESO have performance issues and ZOS don't know how to fix them, time to atleast TRY and keep your paying costumers UPDATED on your progress.

Not everyone necessarily gets affected equally in these situations because not everyone is getting the content from the same place. With less dynamic systems (think static content downloads, like YouTube vids), DDOS happens all the time but you don't even know it on those, or it just slows until you are rerouted to another content source. MMO real time global operations are more complicated though.

Check out how CDNs work, I'm too lazy to explain it all here. Akamai has some great vids on the tech.

With that said, ZOS does have more work to do.
  • Quantum_V
    Quantum_V
    Class Representative
    ZoS, you should make it so everytime you join a group larger than 6 players, every 30s somebody in that group randomly dies. Do that for 2 days and you'll see the latency issues resolved in PvP.
    Quantum - Magicka DK

Youtube Channel

• ADJMass
    ADJMass
    Soul Shriven
    Smasherx74 wrote: »

What do you want to be compensated for? It's not their fault they're being DDOS'd...
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADJMass wrote: »

What do you want to be compensated for? It's not their fault they're being DDOS'd...

On top of that, they are taking action to correct it.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

until the next "attack" lol
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »

You do know that we can see that they are taking action, right? This isn't just a "take our word for it".
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »

You do know that we can see that they are taking action, right? This isn't just a "take our word for it".

where do you see the action taken?
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just means ESO is popular...
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Jamascus
    Jamascus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mevrain wrote: »
    Nothing transfers from the NA servers (no guilds, no items, no CP, nothing) so you basically get to start fresh with new chars. Which after all this time is kind of refreshing. :smile:

I might find it refreshing except for the loss of all crown store purchases (mounts & costumes that are no longer available, the banker & merchant, DLCs that were not cheap, etc).
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ddos attacks won.
    At least in the past 6 months.
This discussion has been closed.